Metal Gear Solid V Officially Announced

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
That'd really be surprising to me, given how long he's been at the company, and particularly how un-Japanese it would be.

Yeah, as much as Kojima clearly relishes the spotlight and self-promotion in general, he's also always struck me as a company man (at least he likes to present that face, or maybe because he sees himself AS the company =). Still, it's not unprecedented, just look at the Infaune/Capcom breakup and the messy state of Mega Man since. Difference here being Konami could miss Kojima a lot more.

Aazealh said:
Not to mention how close they are to release. Unless development has been a mess behind the scenes they must be in the final stretch for it, fixing bugs rather than adding features. I don't see Kojima or anyone really sabotaging their work so close to the end after having spent who knows how many years on it.

Not intentionally, and if most of the work is done there's not much left to sabotage (it's not like Konami would change it to spite him either), but if they get into some game of chicken they could unwittingly do some damage to the final product/presentation.

Aazealh said:
It'd be more interesting to know what prompted this situation, what side initiated it and what's at stake within the company.

Yeah, it's pretty fascinating.

Ken said:
i don't trust any of this :puck: :puck:. Konami probably told them to tweet and take pics calm the fans down, i could be wrong.

That would actually indicate a pretty functional professional relationship actually, "Hey, the customers are freaking out, could you do this to calm them down?" "Ok." So yeah, company intrigue aside, a lot of the panic-inducing drama here seems fan generated. =)

RIP Silent Hills

https://twitter.com/tvsmatthackney/status/592177537427447808

It was said at del Toro's panel at the San Francisco International Film Festival last night, and this was retweeted/confirmed by his assistant.

The P.T. demo will be removed from PSN on April 29th aswell

http://www.konami.jp/pt/en/index.php5

qaEpoNk.jpg

I was just about to post that in the Silent Hill thread.

I was very pessimistic about the game when it was first announced, but as time passed I softened my position, becoming more and more excited about it. It probably wouldn't have stuck with the Silent Hill canon, but a Kojima-made Silent Hill game would've been fun as hell. Oh well. I guess we'll play you on the other side, dear Silent Hills. :judo:

...And now KONAMI has left the NYSE. Its come Slot Machine Heaven has returned.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/27/8503893/konami-delists-itself-from-new-york-stock-exchange

Griffith

Maybe Kojima should hurry up with MGS5 while Konami still has the means to publish it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
So... what the fuck do you guys make of this?

https://twitter.com/konami/status/595612224800055297

It's a month too late for April Fool's.

Update: It appears to be a clothing line to tie-in to MGSV's launch.

Walter said:
So... what the fuck do you guys make of this?

https://twitter.com/konami/status/595612224800055297

It's a month too late for April Fool's.

No they are serious :magni:
Atleast Phantom Pain hasn't been cancelled :ubik:

Griffith

Looks to just be a Phantom Pain (COMING 1984!) merchandising tie-in.. and as good an excuse as any for gamers to run around the Internet waving their arms and shaking their fists over nothing.
nerdrage.gif

It probably doesn't speak well of my interest that I don't care at all what Konami does. =) Just give me my PAIN! HUURRT MEE MOAAR!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
hearTes said:
Atleast Phantom Pain hasn't been cancelled :ubik:

Well, there's no chance of that happening. Too much money invested at this point, and it's a stone's throw away from release.

Besides, even with all this drama between Kojima and Konami, the vast majority of people who will buy MGSV won't have a clue (or care) about that stuff. Just like when the core team at Infinity Ward abandoned Activision to start a new studio and the publisher continued using the name for Call of Duty games, it didn't put a dent in sales.

Griffith said:
It probably doesn't speak well of my interest that I don't care at all what Konami does. =) Just give me my PAIN! HUURRT MEE MOAAR!

I don't particularly care either, but I am curious to see how they use the brand going forward. But this doesn't appear to be that.

Griffith

Walter said:
I don't particularly care either, but I am curious to see how they use the brand going forward. But this doesn't appear to be that.

I actually liked the idea of it as some sort of retro-ish anthology of 80's themed MGS games. Whether that would just be a theme for future AAA installments, a retro style Metal Gear ala Mega Man 9/10 or a remakes, or even just re-releases, of the classic games in the series to tie it together, I found it intriguing. An "80's style" clothing line based on no doubt anachronistic Phantom Pain wardrobe? Ok. I guess. Why?

As for Konami's brand plans going forward:

axys3nfdise6gefag0cf.jpg

:ganishka:

LMFAO when konami announced the clothing line on facebook, this happened, and i think they took the post down, i could be wrong

the-1984-collection-2.png

lol their facebook is pretty much plagued with kojima comments

Griffith

Walter said:
I don't put much stock in those kind of videos.

All lack of evidence clearly points to Kojima being announced as Bethesda's new director of Fallout 4 at E3. The conspicuous lack of any reference to either Fallout or Kojima at Bethesda's proposed event confirms it?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
All lack of evidence clearly points to Kojima being announced as Bethesda's new director of Fallout 4 at E3. The conspicuous lack of any reference to either Fallout or Kojima at Bethesda's proposed event confirms it?

The thought did cross my mind that if Kojima were to land at any studio, it would probably be a Western one, and Bethesda did pick up Mikami... and he's Japanese, too! It all adds up... :ganishka:

IT'S HERE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCQDGapRY-o

Wow, feels like an overload almost. So much stuff going on. I gotta say it's left me feeling pretty nuclear though!

Kazuki_Fuse said:

I have no idea what I just watched.

After Ground Zeroes I was starting to think the Kojima who made that flaming winged unicorn trailer had gone away, but it turns out he's back and stronger than ever.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Kazuki_Fuse said:
IT'S HERE!

Wow, feels like an overload almost. So much stuff going on. I gotta say it's left me feeling pretty nuclear though!

I really enjoyed my time with Ground Zeroes. But ... I'm sorry, exactly what the hell is being discussed in that trailer? Kojima's writing has gone off the deep end.

Language is our fatherland, control the world with language! All paired with scenes of TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION and bipedal robots. Normally Kojima's typical high-minded concepts don't bother me, because I can just sort of laugh it off and enjoy the insanity, but this one seemed just completely ridiculous. Particularly seeing as how people from the press who have played between 10-12 hours of the game already say it's pretty much just episodic, open-world missions, with barely any story (or talking from Kiefer's Snake) stitching them together.

But what's really going on according to this trailer is: This nuclear missile I'm going to launch from this bipedal robot will sever people from language and that is how I shall claim ultimate victory!

Griffith

Walter said:
I really enjoyed my time with Ground Zeroes. But ... I'm sorry, exactly what the hell is being discussed in that trailer? Kojima's writing has gone off the deep end.

Language is our fatherland, control the world with language! All paired with scenes of TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION and bipedal robots.

What's funny is that what was once surprisingly high minded writing for such games in MGS has steadily escalated to the complete word salad with nonsense dressing Kojima is now serving (apparently, mercifully, on the side). It's gone from somewhat smart and sophisticated to insufferably pretentious until coming around the bend to beyond stupid. Kojima's pseudo intellectual, pseudo scientific concepts have become so convolutedly abstract that they're folding into themselves, the questions he's asking can't be posed without questioning the questions and the very nature of words and ideas; which he'll probably breakdown biologically as idea genes that are being replaced by bipedal nanomachines marching into your ear canal! :magni: It's like how Damon Lindelof teases a reveal for the meaning of life in all his premises, but instead of just going "fooled you" at the end, it's like Kojima is actually trying to answer to a higher being with gibberish he's hoping will form some correct response that cannot be adequately expressed in human language or thought as we know it. Or, he's just full of it.

It's still kind of fun if you think of it as a self-referential metaphor; Kojima is waging a fucking literal war of words on our brains. =)

Walter said:

Language is our fatherland, control the world with language! All paired with scenes of TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION and bipedal robots. Normally Kojima's typical high-minded concepts don't bother me, because I can just sort of laugh it off and enjoy the insanity, but this one seemed just completely ridiculous. Particularly seeing as how people from the press who have played between 10-12 hours of the game already say it's pretty much just episodic, open-world missions, with barely any story (or talking from Kiefer's Snake) stitching them together.

But what's really going on according to this trailer is: This nuclear missile I'm going to launch from this bipedal robot will sever people from language and that is how I shall claim ultimate victory!

In answer to your statement of confusion

* Quiet was intended to be a SKULL but escaped before experimentation was finished I gather
* Identity seems to be one of the themes in the game.
- Seeing as Big Boss suffers from Schizophrenia do to the shrapnel in his head I'm thinking that after a point once
'the real' Skullface is killed
he becomes a part of Big Boss's personality.

[*] At the start of the trailer you see a Cassette Tape labelled Bowie The Man Who Sold the World

We passed upon the stair, we spoke of was and when
Although I wasn't there, he said I was his friend
Which came as some surprise I spoke into his eyes
I thought you died alone, a long long time ago

Oh no, not me
I never lost control

You're face to face
With The Man Who Sold The World

I laughed and shook his hand, and made my way back home
I searched for form and land, for years and years I roamed

I gazed a gazely stare at all the millions here
We must have died alone, a long long time ago

Who knows? not me
We never lost control

You're face to face
With the Man who Sold the World

* Pyscho Mantis Jr looks to be a test subject from the : Leningrad University of Parapsychology the Soviet Text is written across his shirt.
* When Skullface is talking to Big Boss suspended upside down by the rock hand that grabbed him he's talking about destroying systems of connectivity across cultures Linguistics has always been the bedrock for establishing cultures or societies. But more than that Skullface is talking
about perpetuating an endless cycle of War and pain upon a world that stripped him of his "Identity"
* The Boss AI from Peace Walker looks to be put in play in at some point in The Phantom Pain as you see DD soldiers have recovered it and you can hear Major Zero speaking during this scene.
* Eli trying to commit patricide in an attempt on his father's life is something as old as time found in human history and across its multiple mythologies.

* The scene with Code Talker could be about Big Boss seeking help with his hallucinations but also in getting another asset.
* Pay attention to the Shoulder Sleeve Insignia on Big Boss's arm.s The emblem on the right shoulder is for the Unit you are no longer affiliated with while the one on the left should is your current Unit. So I'm thinking that after Big Boss goes on a rampage leaves Diamond Dogs to form his own Unit.
* Paz is dead so that's a hallucination only Big Boss can see much like Inferno Volgin. But then whose on the table with matching surgical scars?
* We're shown 2 different Metal Gear Units in the trailer a modified ZEKE that Eli pilots and an early prototype for RAY at the end of the trailer. Remember the technical schematics for REX & RAY were designed by Granin in MGS3. But I'm guessing that once ZEKE and Proto-RAY are destroyed that production will begin on the Metal Gear Unit that Solid Snake would face off against in 1995.

* Speaking of Snake's their were 2 shown in the trailer or where their. Mirror trick that was only Eli. So they are going to reveal the Les Enfants Terribles project to Big Boss in this game as well and in his state of mind I can't see that going over well.

Oh hey The E3 2015 Demo is up on YT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmwd68Jk7sk

Top Bottom