A lack of Berserk - Dark Horse & DMP

skullnights_pants

I'm a llama!
I am suffering too. I've been putting it off too long, next month, next month etc. They used to be only £6 per volume on Amazon. They now are £11 for the ones in the stock. The out of stock items sell for £50.

Actually, I remember why I stoppedd buying. It was because Amazon ran out of stock for volume 15 so I didn't buy any past that. This was around two years ago

Metal_Bear_Rex

⊂( ̄(エ) ̄)⊃
Well I have finally purchased all the volumes. It wasn't cheap and I feel silly for spending that much money, but I suppose it was worth it.

Good news, everyone!

According to rightstuf, Berserk volumes 1-34 reprints are coming in October 23. :guts:

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/news/individual/?ForumThreadName=FT0000005631&Offset=0&ReturnTo=Archive
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3691436

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hitoshura said:
Good news, everyone!

According to rightstuf, Berserk volumes 1-34 reprints are coming in October 23. :guts:

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/news/individual/?ForumThreadName=FT0000005631&Offset=0&ReturnTo=Archive
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3691436
That's fantastic news, thanks for the tip.

Start spreading the word among friends if you have any who haven't been able to read up on the series due to the lack of volumes! :daiba:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Now would be the time to show them that the fans are out there and willing to spend money for the series.

This is great news, but the question I have is whether these are coming out sequentially or all 34 at once?
EDIT: Nevermind, I checked each out of print volume and they all list that date.

I think the overall sales and interest in the series had something to do with it. For some reason I don't completely believe the sales figures that were shared in that thread on the Dark Horse Forums. I think that sales increased over the last few months. The stock of Berserk volumes just dried up too fast and all at once for it to be random. I think, as horrible as they are, the movies introduced/reintroduced people to Berserk and they found the manga. :magni:

I just hope people did not get hit too hard by the re-sellers and that those who put off purchasing the series in the past see this as a second chance to support Berserk.

Jaze1618 said:
I really Really REALLY hope that volume 30 is reprinted with higher quality paper stock. That would be an instant buy for me.

That would be nice. We can hope.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bender said:
I think, as horrible as they are, the movies introduced/reintroduced people to Berserk and they found the manga. :magni:
Could totally be the case. But I wonder how that presumed desire was communicated to DH, exactly. Seems more likely to me that they're taking a gamble (and hopefully a worthwhile one).

Jaze1618 said:
I really Really REALLY hope that volume 30 is reprinted with higher quality paper stock. That would be an instant buy for me.
That would be nice. We can hope.
I'm already going to re-purchase some of the earlier volumes, because the printing quality in the first runs of volumes 1-5 is abysmal. Waaaay too high contrast.

Hitoshura said:
Good news, everyone!
professor-farnsworth1.png

Walter said:
Could totally be the case. But I wonder how that presumed desire was communicated to DH, exactly. Seems more likely to me that they're taking a gamble (and hopefully a worthwhile one).
I'm already going to re-purchase some of the earlier volumes, because the printing quality in the first runs of volumes 1-5 is abysmal. Waaaay too high contrast.

Fuckin A! Lately its even been putting me off re-reading. Its so bad, I really hope they redeem themselves.

I have to say, I really, really hope people buy these and support them. I don't post very often, but I remember maybe 6 or 7 years ago when people were boycotting Dark Horse over the sound effects and other minor issues and while those concerns are valid, this really is make or break for Berserk in the U.S. right now. Between the economy, piracy, and the transition in consumer tastes, publishers of comics and manga are really hurting, and Dark Horse and others have cancelled a lot of series in mid-run. I doubt Berserk is in danger of that outright, but smaller future print runs could drive up prices all over again if we don't show them demand is out there.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ben said:
I have to say, I really, really hope people buy these and support them. I don't post very often, but I remember maybe 6 or 7 years ago when people were boycotting Dark Horse over the sound effects and other minor issues...
You're really barking up the wrong tree here... Do you really think it's us you have to worry about not supporting Berserk?

Well, The Hawks already bit the dust and the other scanlaters who replaced them don't have enough posters to warrant me yelling at them (I already checked). :ganishka: I bought the original Dark Horse run, and I think I'm going to go ahead and order these again since some of my copies are worse for wear now and I want to support the series (and make sure I never pay $100 for a volume if I need a replacement).

Metal_Bear_Rex

⊂( ̄(エ) ̄)⊃
Hitoshura said:
Good news, everyone!

Damn, fate just kicked me in the nuts. I don't know what to say.

At least I can say I have all the first editions. ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Think existing manga owners would re-purchase volumes if they were released in larger format? Just wondering if it would make economic sense to just re-release them or go for a slight incentive to get more people to buy it. Of course, first priority of the fans having access to the manga is achieved with this news. I guess bigger paper would equate to a higher production cost. Just thinking out loud.

I might pick up re-released versions of 11, 15, 18, 25 (have slight cover-wear/ fold around edges from the times I've lent it to friends).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Think existing manga owners would re-purchase volumes if they were released in larger format? Just wondering if it would make economic sense to just re-release them or go for a slight incentive to get more people to buy it. Of course, first priority of the fans having access to the manga is achieved with this news. I guess bigger paper would equate to a higher production cost. Just thinking out loud.

I might pick up re-released versions of 11, 15, 18, 25 (have slight cover-wear/ fold around edges from the times I've lent it to friends).
Based on how dire Dark Horse made the circumstance sound in April, I don't think it's the best time to take a gamble on new variations. Getting everyone up to speed on the existing model makes more business sense, I think.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Nice maybe it's time to refresh my old copies! My comic store only had a volume or 2 missing form the whole bunch. My silkscreen Berserk homage project will kick into gear soon now that I can re-buy them!

Akebobo

my god... it's full of pants
ApostleBob said:
Apparently Dark Horse reprints of Volumes go on sale today. DH is also offering a 33% off sale as well, so get your volumes while they're inexpensive! I'm hoping to see eReader versions next, but no news on English versions yet.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/news/individual/?ForumThreadName=FT0000005631&Offset=50&ReturnTo=Archive

That is fantastic news! Everything listed is at http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/facetedSearch/?search=berserk#/?s=berserk&r=STORE_CATEGORIES:GN&o=0

Even cheaper than Amazon, plus free shipping if you get a bunch.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Akebobo said:
That is fantastic news! Everything listed is at http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/facetedSearch/?search=berserk#/?s=berserk&r=STORE_CATEGORIES:GN&o=0
"Product Availability - More Arriving Soon!" :sad:

Seems you can place orders on these with the promise that they'll be stocked soon. I'm doing it for a number of early volumes, hoping they've fixed printing errors.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Progress update, RightStuf doesn't have the items in stock.

From an email I just got:
Unfortunately we are unable to ship your complete order due to the unforeseen demand for the items listed below, or your items are not yet released

We receive shipments of items from our suppliers every day, and your items are on order with the manufacturer. We hope to be able to fill your order promptly.

For reference I ordered vols 1-5.

Anyone else experience this?

Well I suppose the silver lining to this is the apparent popularity of the series to the English speaking audience. That and a willingness of fans to buy the volumes and support it when scans are so readily available. This should go without saying, but we know from the previous discontinuing of Dark Horse Volumes that this was a major problem before. It's nice to see the semand so high.

ApostleBob said:
Well I suppose the silver lining to this is the apparent popularity of the series to the English speaking audience. That and a willingness of fans to buy the volumes and support it when scans are so readily available. This should go without saying, but we know from the previous discontinuing of Dark Horse Volumes that this was a major problem before. It's nice to see the semand so high.

I think it's more about how they have not received the reprinted issues yet instead of already selling out.

Top Bottom