A lack of Berserk - Dark Horse & DMP

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
ApostleBob said:
Right Stuff is having a 12 day Holiday sale with Berserk volumes 50% off. I believe they are selling them in bundles. Thought you guys might like to know.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/facetedSearch/?search=berserk#/?s=berserk&r=STORE_CATEGORIES:GN&o=30

Ah damn, I could use that last bundle, I don't have 34-37 in English yet, although I have 34 and 37 in Japanese.

Please help a newbie get into the Berserk series

Please excuse me if this was posted in the wrong section.

Anyway, I've had my eye on the Berserk series for a long time, but the large number of volumes that were out of print really put me off. Availability is made worse by the fact that I don't live in the US where it's printed.

Now that Dark Horse has announced that all of the volumes will be reprinted, I'm looking to grab a lot of what's out there before the market returns to the way it was before. I have a few questions though.

1. Is there any difference between the reprinted volumes and the older editions? From what I've seen in online stores, there seems to be no way telling which is the older print.

2. What's up with Volume 2?
If you check http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/12-706/Berserk-Volume-2-TPB and compare it with http://www.bookdepository.com/Berserk-Guardians-Desire-v-2-Kenturo-Miura/9781593070212, the covers seem different.

3. Is there anything that I need to be aware of in regards to the way Dark Horse has handled the English adaption?

Thanks.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Please help a newbie get into the Berserk series

s3rialthrill3r said:
Please excuse me if this was posted in the wrong section.

Anyway, I've had my eye on the Berserk series for a long time, but the large number of volumes that were out of print really put me off. Availability is made worse by the fact that I don't live in the US where it's printed.

Hi, I've merged your post with the thread we have on the topic of the availability of DH volumes. It should help you find all the answers you seek.

s3rialthrill3r said:
1. Is there any difference between the reprinted volumes and the older editions? From what I've seen in online stores, there seems to be no way telling which is the older print.

From what our members have observed, there are no differences between the two editions.

s3rialthrill3r said:

The cover from bookdepository.com is not the right one.

s3rialthrill3r said:
3. Is there anything that I need to be aware of in regards to the way Dark Horse has handled the English adaption?

It could be better. We have a few threads with feedback from members, like this one for example.

Re: Please help a newbie get into the Berserk series

s3rialthrill3r said:

The only change I am aware of is the paper stock of volume 30 is now the same as the rest. It originally was printed on lower quality paper and was thinner because of it.

Are there any other volumes with terrible paper quality that I should be mindful of?

What about errors relating to spelling, grammar, words being cut off and so on? Is it true that they weren't addressed in the reprints?

Edit: Eh, forget it. I've been brought up to speed after reading the thread. Now I just have to find a store that I can buy from which actually has the reprints in stock. I'll contact Book Depository about the situation. Maybe stores that aren't based in the US are slow in receiving the reprints?

Well, this may be a 2-3 year old thread, but if anyone happens to get in here again, hesitantly rejoice! I have recently started ordering all the volumes(tax season, hell yea!) on Amazon and have found that the available number of volumes is low on each issue, but higher than what was posted at the beginning of this thread. So, hopefully that means that they have found a way to keep getting at least a slow trickle of new copies out for us! I got really upset partway through this thread that I would be stuck at volume 23 forever. Glad that is not the case. Also, I have found 2-3 copies at two different local bookstores in the past week. I live in a relatively small city called Waco in TX. This is the first time I've ever seen physical copies in a bookstore. Perhaps the popularity for this series that we all already love is on the rise with new readers? Huzzah!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think they've had two different reprints since this thread started, but they still haven't been enough to keep everything in stock. :sad:

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Eneshi said:
This is the first time I've ever seen physical copies in a bookstore. Perhaps the popularity for this series that we all already love is on the rise with new readers? Huzzah!

That's interesting. Maybe, but I certainly haven't noticed any rise in physical copy presence. Any time I go into a bookstore that sells manga, I always check to see if they have Berserk. A few years ago I could always expect to see some volumes (never a large selection, usually only a couple copies of the latest volume and a few other numbers), but now I don't ever see a single volume. I like to think it's because they've been bought up, but in reality, it's probably because they just aren't ordered anymore. And my guess is that's largely the case because of the DH printing dilemma.

I think most people just circumvent bookstores and order online anyway.

Top Bottom