Berserk Ultimate Edition (manga)

If you could pick an Ultimate Edition of the manga, what would you want it to be like? Bigger page size? Thicker (more volumes squeezed into 1 big volume like VizBiz editions for Vagabond)? Thinner (episodic)? Or any other preferences, let's discuss it here. Post what you feel would be your ultimate/ dream edition of the manga in physical format. Wait, lets not limit it to physical only, let's talk about digital too.

While looking for similar topics (to rid of duplication) I stumbled on this - http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=12008.msg200530#msg200530 - hard bound, bigger, Russian versions! To coincide with the new trilogy's release, there was a Young Animal Remix version released, 6 of them covering the beginning till right before the Conviction Arc. These volumes were thicker than usual containing more episodes and look to be the same size as the Russian hard bound version. Off-topic question - were there only 6 such volumes printed or more? What do you think of the way the story flows in em (how they end/ begin)?

My ultimate version - bigger page size, hard bound, accurate translations so I'm not second guessing what's right or wrong in the version I'm reading. Need not combine 2/3 volumes to make 1 big thick volume, I'd prefer individual volumes like we are used to so. Posters per volume must either come detached or easier to remove and say that as a plural because I'd prefer to have a single poster for each side (this way there is no choosing between what you'd want to display). Hmm hmmm ... would also consider using those amazing color panels done by SK's talented members per Miura's approval :carcus:

In addition to your wish list, how about having the opening pages of the early volumes in color? Miura painted them in color so why not? Maybe some appendices such as the nice stuff we have here on SK.net to elaborate on the different layers and to illustrate the different Kingdoms in the Berserk world. I know it's not official, but it is useful and accurate as far as we know. If Miura ever released a map, that would be fantastic. Mainly I want accurate translations that don't sound clunky and larger pages at High Res to take in the gorgeous artwork.

Personally, I would really like to see larger page size and paper quality while being part of a TPB, a great example is the recently released (but sadly out of print) Xenozoic Tales reissue - http://www.amazon.com/Xenozoic-Mark-Schultz/dp/1933865318/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365581911&sr=8-1&keywords=xenozoic+tales I sometime wonder if Dark Horse wouldn't have better luck releasing their manga in a TPB format, to be honest, as they are doing quite well while the comic market dies a slow death.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Accurate translations and the best possible print quality would be my top requests. A larger page size would be nice, but as long as the print quality is excellent, the normal page size is fine by me.

I'd also like to see the colored pages by Miura in actual color, as I'm sure many would. (In the meantime, thank goodness for the Berserk Illustration File.)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My dream edition of Berserk would be...
  • Printed on A4-sized paper with a page and ink quality that's on par with the best in the industry.
  • Colorized pages when appropriate—none of this grayscale BS
  • A completely from-scratch English translation which accurately conveys complex concepts in English; barring that, a detailed annotated page at the end of each volume further explaining these concepts.
  • A reflection from Miura on each volume at the beginning of them. What he was into at the time, how he thinks of it now, etc.
  • Alternate covers within for each volume: The original and a new painting by Miura depicting events specific to that volume.
  • Covers would be grouped visually on the spine according to their arc and chapter; a horizontal tapestry that can be seen fully only when all volumes are there. Other spine elements remain uniform.
  • *placeholder for more when I think of them :carcus: *

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
  • Covers would be grouped visually on the spine according to their arc and chapter; a horizontal tapestry that can be seen fully only when all volumes are there. Other spine elements remain uniform.

I love it! :guts:

Top Bottom