Dark Souls II

It seems as we are in agreement then, based on my thoughts from my own "game completed" post, earlier on this same thread?
I agree with you about NPC's. I do think the Emerald Maiden is much better than what we got from the Fire Link Shrine fire keeper, but none of the NPC questlines for Lucatiel, Benhart, Pate, Creighton, or Navlaan ever really delivered, compared to what we got with Sigemeyer, Solaire, Patches, Laurtrec, Logan, and the Cleric guy. Navlaan was an unexpected late game boon, but I feel like he still came up short in the end.

Have you moved on to NG+ yet? Don't forget to
take on Vendrick, Ancient Dragon and the Dark Lurker first since they will only get harder in NG+. Dark Lurker especially was a pain. Because you have to spend an effigy each time just to fight it. Meanwhile the Ancient Dragon will just cheese you with all his One Hit KO's until you finally figure out how to cheese him even harder.

Back on the topic of NG+
The appearance of all the extra red phantoms and other new enemies is really something else. Heide's tower of Flame (especially the path to Old DragonSlayer) was much more challenging. And now and I am trying to get past the Flexile Sentry now and I really love what they did with that Boss fight and the extra challenge on the path to him that NG+ brings. Finally, there are invasions happening a plenty, even when I'm hollow I'm getting invaded every now and then by reds. Lots of people are summoning me and they're getting invaded by reds and blues. Its pretty exciting, and I'm not usually one for PVP in these games. But I certainly like it better when I'm a white phantom as opposed to the Host

Some people have been saying that NG is just the tutorial and that the real game begins with NG+ this time. That's probably a bit of an exaggeration. It doesn't fill the holes that you've identified from the first game, but it does give it some more oomph that is hard for me to explain at the moment. It's definitely exciting in a way that the original's NG+ wasn't once you get beyond the FOFG. I'd like to hear your thoughts once you have progressed through it a bit.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Jaze1618 said:
It seems as we are in agreement then, based on my thoughts from my own "game completed" post, earlier on this same thread?
I agree with you about NPC's. I do think the Emerald Maiden is much better than what we got from the Fire Link Shrine fire keeper, but none of the NPC questlines for Lucatiel, Benhart, Pate, Creighton, or Navlaan ever really delivered, compared to what we got with Sigemeyer, Solaire, Patches, Laurtrec, Logan, and the Cleric guy. Navlaan was an unexpected late game boon, but I feel like he still came up short in the end.

Have you moved on to NG+ yet? Don't forget to
take on Vendrick, Ancient Dragon and the Dark Lurker first since they will only get harder in NG+. Dark Lurker especially was a pain. Because you have to spend an effigy each time just to fight it. Meanwhile the Ancient Dragon will just cheese you with all his One Hit KO's until you finally figure out how to cheese him even harder.

Back on the topic of NG+
The appearance of all the extra red phantoms and other new enemies is really something else. Heide's tower of Flame (especially the path to Old DragonSlayer) was much more challenging. And now and I am trying to get past the Flexile Sentry now and I really love what they did with that Boss fight and the extra challenge on the path to him that NG+ brings. Finally, there are invasions happening a plenty, even when I'm hollow I'm getting invaded every now and then by reds. Lots of people are summoning me and they're getting invaded by reds and blues. Its pretty exciting, and I'm not usually one for PVP in these games. But I certainly like it better when I'm a white phantom as opposed to the Host

Some people have been saying that NG is just the tutorial and that the real game begins with NG+ this time. That's probably a bit of an exaggeration. It doesn't fill the holes that you've identified from the first game, but it does give it some more oomph that is hard for me to explain at the moment. It's definitely exciting in a way that the original's NG+ wasn't once you get beyond the FOFG. I'd like to hear your thoughts once you have progressed through it a bit.

Yeah I took on every boss but
Ancient Dragon so far, I did some white phantoming against him and he seems to be a really boring and long one-shot gimmick fight, I might just skip him.
I haven't moved on to NG+ yet but I've used some bonfire ascetics to move stuff to NG+ in some areas and get some extra stuff. For now I'm messing with PVP and drops I want. I'll let you know how I feel about the later areas once I move on.
Navlaan was pretty cool, especially since I opened his gate without knowing what it'd do and got all those fun surprise invasions. In the next cycle I'll have to do his actual assassin missions that I missed out on by not talking to him as a hollow.

Regarding that one boss you have remaining:
I tried the same thing being a white phantom for a while and it was just impossible that way. The dragon's attacks are unpredictable because he could try to attack any one of you, plus the host invariably dies, or if the host is slightly less unlucky, just his phantoms die, but now the host has to fight a stronger version of the dragon, since all bosses get stat and hp buffs in coop. My suggestion is to figure out the boss's pattern and just do him solo. Keep reading for an extremely easy exploit I found online.

The eventual solution for me was to bait the boss into only doing his foot stomp attack the entire fight once you run up to him. I tried another strategy which claims you can always get away from his airborne fire attack, but that strategy would fall apart for me whenever he was in a position where his back was near the cliff before taking flight.

To use my strategy, you have to constantly wedge yourself in between two of his toes on either of his front feet. If you are NOT always hugging his toe jam, I've found that you risk him taking flight or breathing fire underneath (although breathing fire underneath while standing is easy to handle as well). Never let yourself go to 0 stamina (you'll need it for evasive running), his toes are one of his week spots, so stand in between them and find a place to hit him on his foot (1 or 2 times) where it seems to do the most damage. Then wait for his foot smash.

AS SOON AS HE RAISES HIS FOOT to stomp you: Run, don't roll (I found rolling sometimes got me killed here), directly under where his toes just were, underneath his belly, towards the opposite front foot, wedge yourself in between two toes there and repeat.

Edit Just reached the Mirror Knight on NG+, there are certainly a lot more Multiplayer happenings going on this time around. Currently sitting around level 225.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
I expected to see more of a difference:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/04/08/dark-souls-2-ps3-vs-pc-graphics-comparison

How's this? https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3819/13722249743_73d150b5c9_o.png

In addition to what are probably some much needed PVP balance patches, I am saddened to say that tomorrow's patch is also nerf-ing some of the PVE in a few of my favorite hard/frustrating areas. :(

Perhaps I'm over reacting, but this is pretty saddening news to me. I remember with DkS1, patch 1.04 or 1.05 really ruined any difficulty or challenge in the Capra Demon's in Demons Ruins and the Giant Dinosaur feet Monsters of Lost Izalith.

Some of the Dark Souls 2 Patch Notes:
-Female mages in Shrine Of Amana receiving nerf in both damage and their spell’s tracking ability.
-Fire Lizards in Forest of Fallen Giants will not spit fire in slower intervals.
-Downward adjustment period the occurrence of the shock wave of attack during downswing enemy of “backpack hammer” (???) [I'm not sure what that is either, maybe the turtle guys?]
-The Last Giant now does even less damage to players and Well-Mannered Pate.
-The Lost Sinner now has less HP and does less damage.
-Royal Rat Authority now has less HP and does less damage
-Duke’s Dear Freja’s laser breath now does less damage.
-Enemies around Sinner’s Rise now do less damage
-Shadow Men in the Flexile Sentry’s Boss area in NG+ now do less damage

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Getting my PS3 over here in 4 short days. Then I'll be Dark Souling once again.

PSN: BleakHarvest if any of you want to play.

Walter, I hope you really enjoy this game. One thing I fear is that they have really over-nerfed a particular boss to the point of being an absolute joke now. I wonder if you will be able to guess which one.

Sorry to hear about your controller.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I was doing pretty well until I ended up dying a lot in
the Forest of Fallen Giants, after I made it past the first bonfire... So often actually that the first few enemies in that zone just disappeared. Not a big fan of that addition. I'm guessing there are ways to bring them back?
I should probably get some sleep... Would probably make me feel better.

So far, I'm enjoying exploring the new areas, and the game looks beautiful. Excited to see more. But at this moment, I'm really not a fan of the way everything feels and handles. Still getting used to how differently the game controls. Overall everything feels more sluggish. These changes definitely reset everyone's skill level back to zero, because I feel just about as clumsy as I did when I first started playing Dark Souls, instead of someone who's invested more than 200 hours in it.

Dar_Klink

Walter said:
Well, I was doing pretty well until I ended up dying a lot in
the Forest of Fallen Giants, after I made it past the first bonfire... So often actually that the first few enemies in that zone just disappeared. Not a big fan of that addition. I'm guessing there are ways to bring them back?
I should probably get some sleep... Would probably make me feel better.

So far, I'm enjoying exploring the new areas, and the game looks beautiful. Excited to see more. But at this moment, I'm really not a fan of the way everything feels and handles. Still getting used to how differently the game controls. Overall everything feels more sluggish. These changes definitely reset everyone's skill level back to zero, because I feel just about as clumsy as I did when I first started playing Dark Souls, instead of someone who's invested more than 200 hours in it.

Some advice, level up adaptability or attunement for the agility stat. You actually need it. It'll make the game feel less sluggish.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
Some advice, level up adaptability or attunement for the agility stat. You actually need it. It'll make the game feel less sluggish.

Thanks, was wondering about that. That "adaptability" attribute had a rather vague description... Wouldn't be Dark Souls otherwise, I guess!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I had the game pre-loaded and "ready to play" but when I got home from work it had to do some final install/day 1 update patch that took over an hour on my shitty connection. So, by the time I fired it up, got past the long boring opening cutscene (DS1 already ahead there), and the overly long character creation segment, my fiancée was home and I was basically DONE for the night (I wish I'd engaged one of the big rat looking creatures I saw just to have actually fought something =). Anyway, very very first impressions... I'm surprised how much it's like the first game. From the title screen to the HUD to the PC port still featuring X-Box buttons on screen instead of keyboard prompts (at least the game works this time). So, aside from the suspicion I should have just taken the time to get DS1 working again on my computer, I'm excited to participate with you all. Anyway, more tonight, but I guess it wouldn't be Dark Souls if I didn't have an inordinate amount of trouble just getting started. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I had the game pre-loaded and "ready to play" but when I got home from work it had to do some final install/day 1 update patch that took over an hour on my shitty connection.

I had a similar issue. Preloaded the game a few days ago. Then it was "ready to play", or rather, "ready to download and install a 200MB patch." And then my controller's batteries died... :azan:

So, by the time I fired it up, got past the long boring opening cutscene (DS1 already ahead there),

DS1's is pretty action packed by comparison, and has a ton of important lore. DS2's is basically: you're cursed, and BOY does it suck!

Also, noob question... did I miss the torch? Based on the number of sconces, I would swear I'm supposed to have it by now, but I don't see it anywhere in my inventory: items/equip or otherwise.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
Walter said:
Also, noob question... did I miss the torch? Based on the number of sconces, I would swear I'm supposed to have it by now, but I don't see it anywhere in my inventory: items/equip or otherwise.

Yeah you missed it. It's behind behind that wheelbarrow cart thing next to the only bonfire in things betwixt. Although it's also worth mentioning, that there isn't a singular torch, each torch you find in the game will add 5 minutes to your torch time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Slime_Beherit said:
Yeah you missed it. It's behind behind that wheelbarrow cart thing next to the only bonfire in things betwixt. Although it's also worth mentioning, that there isn't a singular torch, each torch you find in the game will add 5 minutes to your torch time.

Then I have it. But... how do I use it? Like I said, I couldn't find it in my inventory. Is it an item/Equipment?

Dar_Klink

Walter said:
Then I have it. But... how do I use it? Like I said, I couldn't find it in my inventory. Is it an item/Equipment?

Push "triangle" near a bonfire and it'll switch to "light torch" or push X near an already lit scone. It won't show you the torch as items in your inventory but as a timer with how much time you have left in one of the screens. Also, if you didn't know yet, you can hold triangle to 2-hand your left-hand weapon now or if you have two of the same or similar weapons in each hand it'll "powerstance" them for dual wielding. Well, actually this video might be good to watch, it doesn't spoil any bosses/story, just talks about new gameplay mechanics that the game doesn't exactly explain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5AijCTdcLI

Its in your inventory in the form of a timer, it should be around your arrows. I believe each torch you pick up adds 5 minutes to that timer. You can light torches at any bonfire/sconce that is burning. To light at a bonfire you have to first toggle the message when you are prompted to "rest". Walking up to burning sconce should just prompt you to "light the torch" immediately.

Also more about the agility stat. Adaptability raises this the fastest, and it increases the amount of invincibility frames on your roll (you start of with way less frames than DkS1), it decreases the drink estus recovery time, and I've also heard rumours that it decreases the recovery time of your weapon swings.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
The torch is a bit confusing at first, but yeah, it's just displayed as a timer between your rings and arrows. I don't know if the lighting and contrast for PC is like it was in pre-release videos, but I've only had a handful of moments where I needed (and I hesitate to use that word) the torch. Its nice to light up sconces and braziers, but it's definitely not necessary.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Pursuer
was most fun I've had so far in the game.

Hah! Beat
Pursuer on that first-time encounter
in another guy's game while rolling with a 3-man team. Having a blast with online play. So much more solid than DS1.

9 hours in, level 35 btw.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
Maybe the PC online is better, cause I gave up on the Blue Sentinel covenant after the 10th forward facing backstab. Also getting ganked at Heide's Tower of Flame but that's more of a design issue.

Dar_Klink

Walter said:
Pursuer
was most fun I've had so far in the game.

Hah! Beat
Pursuer on that first-time encounter
in another guy's game while rolling with a 3-man team. Having a blast with online play. So much more solid than DS1.

9 hours in, level 35 btw.

What's your character's name in-game? I actually summoned two people for that the other day... it was with a smaller white soapstone. I think after the fight we ran off to that ballista room so the two could finish off killing stuff for their time limit.

I made a Casca build :) I will post it soon

Does anyone else think the Falconer armor set in Dark Souls 2 is a reference to Berserk?

"Domestic Volgen soldiers are infamously timid, so it is no wonder that this fierce band of mercenary falconers was hired to compensate.

In practice they serve as bodyguards for the affluent elite, and they serve well, such that nobody dares scrutinize their backgrounds.”

tumblr_inline_n45qgrsbdM1qbrd8n.png

tumblr_inline_n45qh18FKJ1qbrd8n.png

:casca:

Top Bottom