Berserk Hiatus for 19+ Weeks—A New Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnny Apples said:
If I remember it right, last year Miura did say something or the other about planning to do a story arc that would shed light on the God Hand :schnoz:
That was the initial interpretation of what he said. What he really said wasn't anything so revealing—basically that we'll see more from the God Hand soon. Adding that "soon" for him might not be for years to come (It's been just over a year, so... :daiba: ).

And since they're in the world now, it's kind of a given that we'll soon see them more.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
That was the initial interpretation of what he said. What he really said wasn't anything so revealing—basically that we'll see more from the God Hand soon. Adding that "soon" for him might not be for years to come.

And since they're in the world now, it's kind of a given that we'll soon see them more.

Ah, It'll be them welcoming the group to Elfhelm... What a twist! :slan:

Death May Die said:
With the long breaks I'm glad YOUNG ANIMAL hasn't come down on him with contract obligations. Like a specific number of episodes need to come out ever-so-many issues. YA seems to give him a pretty good free reign over his releases, so it seems sometimes. Thankfully. The waits are always necessary and always worth it. Its not about the breaks, its about taking the time to get it right.

I've been wondering this as well. I realize that he is one of their best sellers for the magazine, but does he really have that much freedom with his contract? Is this typical for popular manga artists that produce these kinds of sales?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Berserk Hiatus for 19+ Weeks—A New Record

tama chan said:
I realize that he is one of their best sellers for the magazine, but does he really have that much freedom with his contract? Is this typical for popular manga artists that produce these kinds of sales?
I don't think there's anything typical about a series that's been published for more than 20 years and continues to be a best-seller while also taking extended breaks. I think Young Animal has to treat him with gloves on because he's such an important part of their magazine.

I have to agree with Walter, I'm just happy that a series I started following my freshman year of high school is still kicking all these years later. Just look at the quality of Berserk compared to series that are forced to adhere to a strict publishing schedule, and I don't think there's any reason to be upset, so long as it is just a break and not indicative of any sort of issue (health or otherwise) with Miura.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
TelegramSam said:
I have to agree with Walter, I'm just happy that a series I started following my freshman year of high school is still kicking all these years later. Just look at the quality of Berserk compared to series that are forced to adhere to a strict publishing schedule, and I don't think there's any reason to be upset, so long as it is just a break and not indicative of any sort of issue (health or otherwise) with Miura.

Manga series aren't necessarily forced to adhere to a strict schedule. It's just assumed that if you're published in, say, Weekly Shonen Jump, then you'd be putting a series out weekly. Several big name series go on break from 1 week to a month at certain points in time, but it's pretty rare.

Johnny Apples said:
If I remember it right, last year Miura did say something or the other about planning to do a story arc that would shed light on the God Hand :schnoz:

This might be a bit speculative on my part, but one of my big expectations when we reach Elfhelm, besides the much needed resolution on Casca's mind state (which should be initially on the forefront of things to happen there), is that we'll finally get to know more about the skullknight. The elvish connection about skullknight has been subtly but certainly raised, and my gut feeling is that the Elf King knows the skullknight very well (and well, the opposite is most likely true, as it was by word of the skullknight which we came to know about the Elf King and his powers).

I can't think of a better moment to shed more light into his character, and perhaps finally answer what truly happened in the distant past, at Gaiseric's capital. Also belonging to such prospect, and likely related to the former question is the presence of the "wise man" on Gaiseric's tale, which many speculate as possibly being the God hand Void.

With Elfhelm pretty close on the horizon, along with many other things that will certainly happen there, not only the skullknight but we could learn important information about the God Hand too, who the Elf King is certainly aware of, perhaps also knowing their story intimately. That's what I optimistically expect, at least. ;D

Now with all that said, I wouldn't mind if the God hand appear along with the unveiling of their plans in somewhere else, like Falconia, for instance, which we will probably see before Elfhelm still. I just hope that by soon, Miura meant to point at events inside our visible horizon, such as the arrival of Elfhelm.

Deci

After nearly a decade reading Berserk I feel like every part of it is a milestone of some sort :iva: That said since his world has changed so much he could very likely be taking time to plan things very carefully, which if true, I stand behind absolutely. On a related note it's funny, my personal life has changed so dramatically as well I once again find myself taking special relation to Berserk.

The breaks don't really bother me anymore, I have a much more quiet excitement about Berserk it seems nowadays, though every once in a while I'll daydream about what's possible and it'll tug at my heartstrings to see more of the story unfold. Currently on another reread of the entire series up until now, Volume 8, and enjoying it.

Take your time, master Miura!

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea the breaks don't really bother me as I don't think about them often. I'm also used to them after following Berserk so long. One thing this series will teach you for sure is patience :ganishka:

Having said that, life is so much more tolerable when you have a steady stream of new Berserk episodes coming out.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Gobolatula said:
I notice the more busy I am, the quicker these breaks fly by.

Agreed.

When I was in college, I used to really hurt during these breaks. I've been following the series episodically for ten years now, so the breaks don't wear on me as much as they used to (patience comes with age, too). Every now and then I'll think, "Hey, there hasn't been any new episodes for a while. Hopefully, we get a new batch soon," but that's about as extreme as it gets.

Can someone explain to me why my post was deleted? It's really not a negative post in anyway or a insult towards Miura's work ethic. I don't see any reason as to why we shouldn't be allowed to ask an honest question like that at this point.s since the breaks are getting longer, its only natural to assume that what i wrote in my post could be just one of the reasons behind the long breaks.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It was removed because it was utterly stupid. Not much has happened in Berserk recently? Miura has lost interest? Get the fuck outta here with this shit. Your persistence has earned a quarantine.

I can imagine Miura taking more time with new episodes since he probably wants to show off epic Falconia,I can easily imagine next epsiode with at least 1/3 of pages being mindblowing double spreads. It's also possibility he has completed 334 and is working in next ones since manga authors usually have 2-3 chapters in advance and will release 334 in summer. Actually June would be a good month,it could feature new episode and maybe some dvd with extras since movie 3 is releasing in June.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lukis said:
It's also possibility he has completed 334 and is working in next ones since manga authors usually have 2-3 chapters in advance and will release 334 in summer.
See:
Walter said:
However, we do know that Miura often submits a series of episodes to Young Animal. They will have a backlog of episodes which they will publish until they run out. And that's generally when the breaks occur.

I personally don't mind about the hiatus. Considering the part of the story Miura is currently working on, i can see that he has to take his time.

Can't say I'm happy with the insanely long breaks, but I do definitely understand them. All I ever ask for is brilliance from Miura......that's not such a strong request is it? :ganishka: I also agree with everyone here that a new milestone has been reached and we are about to witness something monumental. Suppressing the excitement is becoming increasingly impossible!!!

The Lamb

Luncheable!
Actually, my impression is that over time the level of detail has slowly gone up, with the images becoming ever more intricate in terms of pen strokes and the like. It's not always noticeable, but if Miura is now putting a whole days worth of work into one cell where it originally was maybe only an hour or so, then that would explain the accumulating delays.

The Lamb said:
Actually, my impression is that over time the level of detail has slowly gone up, with the images becoming ever more intricate in terms of pen strokes and the like. It's not always noticeable, but if Miura is now putting a whole days worth of work into one cell where it originally was maybe only an hour or so, then that would explain the accumulating delays.

I really have no problem with Miura taking these breaks. Like you said, the level of detail and overall quality has really evolved with time. He's either drawing really amazing things or taking his time making love to the actual story. I'm still relatively young and have tons of real life shit to worry about, I'll read Berserk on Miura's schedule. No problem here.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The Lamb said:
if Miura is now putting a whole days worth of work into one cell where it originally was maybe only an hour or so, then that would explain the accumulating delays.
Let's not exaggerate too much here...

Whilst I would have thought we would know by now, is there any indication as to if we will get anything on the 24th? Or can we expect the record to pushed to at least 23 weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom