Berserk Hiatus for 19+ Weeks—A New Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
Burnout? Health issues?
No information known. If anyone has been importing these issues of Young Animal, first of all wow, and second of all, perhaps he's been leaving comments along with the other authors there, and there could be some information there.

That being said, I peruse the Japanese boards every day and have seen no relevant information.

Milking Berserk until he retires?
:schierke:

Could this recent, prolonged absence possibly in any way have something to do with Miura's (ex?)-editor Akira Shimada? :schnoz:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnny Apples said:
Could this recent, prolonged absence possibly in any way have something to do with Miura's (ex?)-editor Akira Shimada? :schnoz:
Unlikely. We've discussed it before.

Walter said:
No information known. If anyone has been importing these issues of Young Animal, first of all wow, and second of all, perhaps he's been leaving comments along with the other authors there, and there could be some information there.

That being said, I peruse the Japanese boards every day and have seen no relevant information.
:schierke:
Not to get too off topic, but do you know of a good way to do that now, Walter? I had a Sasuga Books subscription, but since they went belly up I've just been buying the collected volumes. I'm pretty bummed out about it, but at least the other manga I had a YKO subscription for (Trigun and Hellsing) had ended.

No Berserk for the past 6 months now. And I somehow doubt that Japanese fans go out and buy up YA magazine in droves, whenever an issue sans Berserk episode is published. Any coincidence then, that the preview of upcoming July 12 edition consists entirely of semi-nude females, the manga character and teen idol/model alike? I've seen many YA previews over the years. But I don't ever remember seeing ones like this

1314_left.jpg

1314_right.jpg

A very noble attempt on the magazine's part to entice its male audiences to buy, yes I admit :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnny Apples said:
No Berserk for the past 6 months now. And I somehow doubt that Japanese fans go out and buy up YA magazine in droves, whenever an issue sans Berserk episode is published. Any coincidence then, that the preview of upcoming July 12 edition consists entirely of semi-nude females, the manga character and teen idol/model alike? I've seen many YA previews over the years. But I don't ever remember seeing ones like this
A very noble attempt on the magazine's part to entice its male audiences to buy, yes I admit :troll:
It's really not out of the ordinary for YA...

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
All I know is that when the new episode will be out it,ll be orgasmic! Like holding on for too long. I can't wait anymore. I think it's time to read volume one again to calm myself.

Man, this break is starting to affect me too. It's the unknown duration, really. It would have been totally fine with Miura coming out and saying 'Berserk to resume in 10 months', rather than having hopes every other week and then coming here and seeing the dreaded 'Berserk Hiatus for 19+ weeks' thread still at the top. I hope at least that we get 3 consecutive episodes after this break ends.

And also that Miura gets over whatever's been preventing him from continuing his masterpiece. It's got to be something serious (not exaggerating here, it's only logical to assume that), I just hope that it isn't something TOO serious.

Surakemastura said:
It would have been totally fine with Miura coming out and saying 'Berserk to resume in 10 months',

That's insane! Because I heard just that from Miura...'s brother. Another 10 months. Yep. So it must be true!

We can all take it easy now. And if something should just happen to come out before that duration, consider it a gift from him to you.

Hope this smooths things over.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Surakemastura said:
And also that Miura gets over whatever's been preventing him from continuing his masterpiece. It's got to be something serious (not exaggerating here, it's only logical to assume that), I just hope that it isn't something TOO serious.

I don't think anything is preventing him from continuing his masterpiece. I think it's safer to assume he's been working on Berserk this entire time. Elfhelm is right around the corner, where we're certain to meet new and interesting characters that require developing.

Trust me, the wait will be worth it.

Rhombaad said:
I don't think anything is preventing him from continuing his masterpiece. I think it's safer to assume he's been working on Berserk this entire time. Elfhelm is right around the corner, where we're certain to meet new and interesting characters that require developing.

Trust me, the wait will be worth it.

It's exactly what I think.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Surakemastura said:
Man, this break is starting to affect me too.
It is without a doubt a bummer. But then I think of all the awesome things ahead, and I'm reinvigorated.

There's no reason to assume that this hiatus is anything more than a longer-than-normal break, during which he typically works on batches of Berserk episodes. Keep in mind, while this is a record-breaking hiatus, we're still within just a few weeks of it being a record. It's not what I'd call catastrophic or anything... The purpose of this thread wasn't to dramatize the situation, but rather to inform readers that this was indeed the longest break in the series.

If it tells us anything, it's that great things are around the corner (which we already knew).

IMHO, I think Griffith got it right a couple podcasts back: Miura is really trying to make Berserk the best story of all time, hence the huge breaks. I'm really the person who just does things half-assed all the time so I'm not very familiar with the feeling, but those of you who rather do something perfectly or not at all can attest that this is a very emotionally draining process. Can you imagine doing your work this way for 20+ years? It would drive me insane, literally.

For some reason Miura strikes to me as the guy who will beat himself up over something that 99.9% of us wouldn't mind/notice. I just hope he's ok, that's all, sorry for the dramatic vibe :iva:

And yes, there is not a single doubt that the next episodes will be mind blowing. If I remember correctly, the last time the series went through such long breaks was during the merging of the worlds and well.... let's just say that scenes from those episodes are what I show to people that I want to get into Berserk.

Works every time :slan:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Surakemastura said:
.... let's just say that scenes from those episodes are what I show to people that I want to get into Berserk.

Works every time :slan:
You mean you wouldn't show them Berserk: The Golden Age Arc: Egg of the Supreme Ruler? :ganishka:

Johnny Apples said:
1314_left.jpg

1314_right.jpg

Ya know, I've been thinking about purchasing the issues of YA that has Berserk episodes 334 and onwards, but I'm not too sure if I want that chillin' in my room when family comes over. :magni:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
We should stop posting in this thread.

But why, Johnstantine?

So I don't get my hopes up every time there's a reply.
Once there is news, I will lock this thread and then make a new thread about Berserk returning. Then we'll all post in that. How's that?

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
You mean you wouldn't show them Berserk: The Golden Age Arc: Egg of the Supreme Ruler? :ganishka:

Well of course right after that! (the 3 of them to be sure) :ganishka:

cause they're the best material to get someone into right?

I am hoping this long hiatus of this series isn't a sign of Miura loosing interest in Berserk, It's not wrong for him to take a break from this series but as long as he does not forget about it then it leaves so much worrying to do what will happen next.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Skullgrin140 said:
I am hoping this long hiatus of this series isn't a sign of Miura loosing interest in Berserk, It's not wrong for him to take a break from this series but as long as he does not forget about it then it leaves so much worrying to do what will happen next.
If he didn't have interest in the series, he wouldn't work so gosh darned hard on it. I have a strong feeling that once we finally get inside Falconia, our minds will be BLOWN. And we're nearly at the point where we'll finally see Elfhelm. Both places are going to be visually spectacular displays of Miura's imagination.

I still think he's just trying to get it *perfect*.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Skullgrin140 said:
It's not wrong for him to take a break from this series but as long as he does not forget about it then it leaves so much worrying to do what will happen next.
This is the stupidest shit I've seen in the thread so far. Congratulations! :ubik:

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
I don't care how long it takes, it just would be nice for an update. Even if it just says he's working on new episodes, stay tuned.

Walter said:
This is the stupidest shit I've seen in the thread so far. Congratulations! :ubik:
Hey, early onset Alzheimer's is at an all time high. :troll:

On an unrelated note, I'm guessing by the lack of a response so far that no one knows of a way to sign up for a monthly YA subscription anymore? RIP, Sasuga Books. :judo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom