Berserk Hiatus for 19+ Weeks—A New Record

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oburi said:
Wow This sounds awesome. To think that the almighty Miura will not only be doing a new separate story but the fact that its science fiction is the great news. With what the unparalleled imaginative force that is Miura has brought to the ultimate fantasy Berserk, I can't even begin to fathom what he could do within the realm of scifi.

Thats totally my reaction too. I´ve always had this dream that Miura´s next work would be sci-fi themed. The thought of him instead taking a little break from Berserk and do just that never occured to me. Man! Whatta treat! :guts: As someone already said, this is not only great for Miura himself and his inspiration and creativity but - Berserk, epic as it is - nice to have something new and fresh for the readers too.

Im very happy right now :serpico:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I think we knew Miura was interested in possibly doing a scifi story?? Did he mention it in an interview at some point? I was under the impression that he would do this after Berserk was finished, but it doesn't really matter to me. It's a real treat any way you look at it :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
We knew Miura was interested in possibly doing a scifi story because he told us as much when we sent him our letter.

Nah, he didn't say he specifically wanted to do Sci-Fi when he replied to us (just that he would keep working after Berserk was over), but it is indeed something we've known for a long time.

Aazealh said:
Yeah, and Berserk's serialisation will resume afterwards, so it's not so bad. Gigantomachia's publication should end mid-February, so Berserk will probably be back in March. While that may seem long on paper, compared to the current break it's not so dramatic, and I think we should all be pretty excited to get a new story from Miura.

Indeed, we should be. Do you think that Gigantomachia, depending on fans' response and successful sales, could possibly spark a revived interest in Miura's other sci-fi works, from his early pre-Berserk days?

Aazealh said:
It's also interesting to know what he's been working on during that time, a new story, maybe to take a breather from Berserk only so he could come back to it with full creative force?

Thinking about this makes me wonder, just how many myriads of different story ideas Miura may have had bubbling up in his head during the past two decades he has spent working on Berserk? The ideas which he could not realize due to his rigorous work schedule and commitment to his main series. I'm very happy that he can, at last, make it happen for one of them.

Well, knowing how Miura is a perfectionist in what he does, he probably has quite a bit of other story ideas but refuses to work on them because they simply aren't "perfect" in his mind yet. If this is his first new idea that is worth working on since Berserk started, then I expect nothing more than greatness. A sci-fi mecha story (maybe) by Miura drawn from his god like hand...the anticipation is overwhelming! :mozgus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Johnny Apples said:
Do you think that Gigantomachia, depending on fans' response and successful sales, could possibly spark a revived interest in Miura's other sci-fi works, from his early pre-Berserk days?

I don't believe Miura would wish for those works to be re-published.

Re: Berserk Hiatus for 19+ Weeks—A New Record

^
Aaaand my hype fever is at its finest! Gonna check it out as soon as I get home :guts:

Johnny Apples said:
...could possibly spark a revived interest in Miura's other sci-fi works, from his early pre-Berserk days?

Correct me if Im wrong but you´re talking about "Japan" and "King of wolves" right? As I recall they´re pretty far from Berserk level material, even considering being one-shots. Those are the only ones registered online and the only ones I got my hands on anyway... Just want to make sure I didnt miss anything(?)

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
This is so awesome, I'm glad we get to see Miura do something new. I hope it'll help him flex his creative muscles for Berserk as well.

Hanma_Baki said:
^
Aaaand my hype fever is at its finest! Gonna check it out as soon as I get home :guts:

Correct me if Im wrong but you´re talking about "Japan" and "King of wolves" right? As I recall they´re pretty far from Berserk level material, even considering being one-shots. Those are the only ones registered online and the only ones I got my hands on anyway... Just want to make sure I didnt miss anything(?)

No, I meant the two obscure and largely forgotten one-shot series of Miura's, "Futanabi" and "Noa." Those are the manga that Miura had made before Berserk. "Japan" and "The King of Wolves", the other two manga, weren't even his creations, but Bronson's. Miura served as an artist, he didn't write them. Plus, "Japan" and "The King of Wolves" were made in the early 1990s, while Miura was already working on Berserk.

^
Yeah just checked wikipedia and apparently some stuff never got published I guess. So theres practically no information on either of these? (sorry for going off-topic here)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hanma_Baki said:
^
Yeah just checked wikipedia and apparently some stuff never got published I guess. So theres practically no information on either of these? (sorry for going off-topic here)
Search more. http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=9898 And indeed, this isn't the thread for such things.

Back on topic, I'm currently shopping for the best way to import Young Animal. If anyone has good experience, please let me know. Kinokuniya was my first pick, but they don't ship magazines...

I dont know about magazines inparticular but I´ve only used Yokatta and they´ve always gotten me everything I´ve asked for. If books/comics count then I guess yes.

DS as the monolith?! That was hilarious Griffith. Aaz's evil villain laugh at the Man Of Steel talk was awesome. Thanks for the podcast guys. I read Aaz's post last night and was pretty damn excited, I didn't know what to say! Miura and science fiction, FECK YEAH! It didn't help that I've spent the past week re-watching Isaac Asimov's Memorial Debates from 2008 - 2013 with pretty good mind-bending discussions. Back on topic, glad to hear about the new series. Glad to hear about Berserk resuming next year. This is a great Christmas present for us by Miura, thank you sir! I think I may be in the minority who thought of a resemblance to young Roderick when I saw that picture, with the way Miura draws him now (Vol 35, 36).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Johnny Apples said:
No, I meant the two obscure and largely forgotten one-shot series of Miura's, "Futanabi" and "Noa."

It's "Futatabi". Also those weren't series, just short stories.

Hanma_Baki said:
Yeah just checked wikipedia and apparently some stuff never got published I guess.

Both Futatabi and NOA were published in magazines at the time.

Deci

I know I'm in the extreme minority here but I'm not happy about this. Well, I have mixed feelings. I'm glad Muira is doing what he wants and if what some are speculating about this giving him a refreshment when returning to Berserk than that's great as well.... but I'm addicted to Berserk and I need my fix damnit. Also, sci-fi isn't my absolute favorite. Life is just a bit more droll with no new Berserk for this long.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I know I'm in the extreme minority here but I'm not happy about this. Well, I have mixed feelings. I'm glad Miura is doing what he wants and if what some are speculating about this giving him a refreshment when returning to Berserk than that's great as well.... but I'm addicted to Berserk and I need my fix damnit. Also, sci-fi isn't my absolute favorite. Life is just a bit more droll with no new Berserk for this long.

There we go! We were just waiting for someone to be that guy. Sucks to be you I guess. :iva:

Aazealh said:
There we go! We were just waiting for someone to be that guy. Sucks to be you I guess. :iva:
...or that girl. Well I just hope that once Miura is done with this short story, he can focus on Berserk again and release episodes more frequently.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Devilwoman said:
...or that girl. Well I just hope that once Miura is done with this short story, he can focus on Berserk again and release episodes more frequently.

He's most likely already done with it, and it has already been confirmed that Berserk's prepublication would resume afterwards.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
For those who are interested, Kinokuniya Bookstore in New York City will ship magazines, but you have to call them; they won't do it through their website. A 6-month subscription to YA cost me ~$200 with standard shipping, which amounts to $16 per issue. Much higher than someone in Japan would pay, but it's fine by me.

For anyone who's thinking about subscribing now that there's going to be consistency in the releases, I'd recommend them.

Follow up to ^ ... if it's within the means of the board, you think it'd be cool if there is a child board dedicated to discussing the story, translations and everything?

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
IncantatioN said:
Follow up to ^ ... if it's within the means of the board, you think it'd be cool if there is a child board dedicated to discussing the story, translations and everything?

Yeh that could included discussions of his other works and/or what we'd think would be great to see by the master himself.

But I regress. I'm excited to see his new stuff and very glad to know berserk will resume next year.

I'm really interested to see what Miura does with this new story, but I really hope it doesn't put Berserk back much longer. This is like an important news bulletin interrupting the final scene of a really intense movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom