Shadow of the Eternals (Eternal Darkness spiritual successor)

SotE-Announced.jpg

After Dark Souls II, IGN did it again. Here's a exclusive 9 minutes walkthrough commented by Denis Dyack the chief creative officer. Apparently, he worked on titles such as Legacy of Kain, MGS : the Twin Snakes and obviously Eternal Darkness.

To support the game go to the official site : http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/

Those guys are walking on thin ice here. If they mess this up I will personally hunt every single one of them down. ED is easily one of my favorite games of all time. Getting my hopes up for a sequel after all this time is almost cruel. Damn I hope this works out.

Anyway regarding the demo: The level seems to be the old church from ED, stone for stone. So it was actually quite a sight to see it crumble and reveal this hellish place beneath it (even though it wasn't real, but then again the entire thing was supposed to be a "dream within a dream").
I would have liked to see some combat though, see if they kept the old system of targeting various parts of the enemy and to cut them of.
Graphically the CryEngine should be capable of more, but I don't mind the style. For this title, the atmosphere is everything and if they nail that I'm not going to complain about anything (also, this is about as early work in progress as you can get).
In some places it seemed like like the old system of fixed camera positions was still in place, in others the camera rotated freely. I wonder if this is dependent on the scene or if they use a system that allows for both (of course, at this point it moot to speculate about things like this).

What more to say... best of luck to the guys at Precursor Games!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure I dig the "crowdfunding on our own platform" idea, though I understand the desire to do away with the middleman. Anyway, they have way too many tiers for me. $25 is all I'd be willing to give, and I loved Eternal Darkness. I'll wait to see how it goes before I make the jump though...

Gaahl said:
Anyway regarding the demo: The level seems to be the old church from ED, stone for stone.

Yeah, first thing that struck me when I watched the teaser trailer was that it almost looked like a remake of the first game. I imagine they stuck to familiar stuff for the demo in order to get people interested.

Gaahl said:
Graphically the CryEngine should be capable of more, but I don't mind the style. For this title, the atmosphere is everything and if they nail that I'm not going to complain about anything (also, this is about as early work in progress as you can get).

I think it looks pretty good. Ultra realistic graphics wouldn't fit the game IMHO, and here we have a good balance.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Asking for $1.5 million on an unproven platform is risky business. I'd even call it shady business. And that's no reflection on the game, which looks pretty damned cool.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals

Precursor has launched a kickstarter campaign to complement the one they're offering on their own site. Deeper down the rabbit hole it goes...

Precursor Games chief creative officer and former Silicon Knights CEO Denis Dyack has taken to video to address allegations about his tenure at the X-Men Destiny studio. Specifically, Dyack broke down a year-old Kotaku article that cited financial impropriety and rocky treatment of subordinates.

Here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Lm6gGFLMr_

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals

Precursor has launched a kickstarter campaign to complement the one they're offering on their own site. Deeper down the rabbit hole it goes...

I really can't believe this company had two backers for $1,000. :schnoz:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I really can't believe this company had two backers for $1,000. :schnoz:
It's not that uncommon for big spenders on Kickstarter. Unless you were stressing this company in particular, in which case :ganishka:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
It's not that uncommon for big spenders on Kickstarter. Unless you were stressing this company in particular, in which case :ganishka:

I'd think that for any company asking for $10,000 seems more like wishful thinking (however, I'm not super familiar with what people are willing to fund on Kickstarter, but, based on the quick skimming I did for the Veronica Mars Kickstarter, apparently people have a lot of money just laying around), but yeah when I said "this company" I should have stressed this company.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
There are projects on kickstarter every day that have goals of millions and get funded in a two day span. And yes there are lots of crazy, rich morons out there to snatch up those $10,000 "rewards."

Top Bottom