Tonal shift in the series?

Berserk has never been a light hearted series, however it got pretty dark in the storylines following the end of the Golden Age. With the formation of Guts current party (especially the inclusion of Isidro) the tone has evened out in recent volumes. Having read through some of the threads and comments on the forum I do see there is a clear divide on this issue. So I was wondering, if you feel it necessary, could a change in tone back to the darker days make for a better series and how you would do it?

Personally I think the only thing I would change would be the removal of Flora/Schierke's Tattoo over Guts & Casca's Brands. For it is was a bit too easy a fix to that situation and given the current Fantasia status quo of monsters throughout the world, it would certainly make travelling the world a bit more interesting for Guts party.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Apostle Judeau said:
Berserk has never been a light hearted series, however it got pretty dark in the storylines following the end of the Golden Age.

I have to disagree with that statement, in the sense that Berserk has always had light-hearted moments throughout all of its arcs, including the Black Swordsman and Conviction arcs.

Apostle Judeau said:
With the formation of Guts current party (especially the inclusion of Isidro) the tone has evened out in recent volumes.

I don't believe Isidro is specifically responsible for the lighter tone the series may have taken, rather I would say it is a natural consequence of the fact Guts is now traveling with people, has been reunited with Casca, and has (for now) turned away from his quest for revenge.

Apostle Judeau said:
Personally I think the only thing I would change would be the removal of Flora/Schierke's Tattoo over Guts & Casca's Brands. For it is was a bit too easy a fix to that situation and given the current Fantasia status quo of monsters throughout the world, it would certainly make travelling the world a bit more interesting for Guts party.

I really don't think one could say that their journey has been uninteresting since they received Flora's talismans.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This thread could really use a better title, I think. Something more descriptive.

Apostle Judeau said:
Having read through some of the threads and comments on the forum I do see there is a clear divide on this issue. So I was wondering, if you feel it necessary, could a change in tone back to the darker days make for a better series and how you would do it?
I'd say that if certain readers don't like the series as it is, and would rather it return to the days of Guts wandering around by himself hunting apostles and attacking ghosts every night, then they should probably have stopped reading by now. The series hasn't been that way for more than a decade.

I don't think getting attacked by random monsters every night would make for better storytelling...

But with monsters active in the world would the Brands even work in the same way as before?

Aazealh said:
I don't believe Isidro is specifically responsible for the lighter tone the series may have taken, rather I would say it is a natural consequence of the fact Guts is now traveling with people, has been reunited with Casca, and has (for now) turned away from his quest for revenge.

True but I don't really see much to Isidro outside of comic relief. Sure he has had his moments (pretty much whenever his back story has come into focus) but his scenes are generally the lightest.

Aazealh said:
I really don't think one could say that their journey has been uninteresting since they received Flora's talismans.
Totally but it would be interesting to see the reaction should say Guts party arrive in Falconia with their Brands exposed, given the current relationship Griffiths forces have with the former citizens of Midland (pre-V.36)

Walter said:
This thread could really use a better title, I think. Something more descriptive.
Aye, aye :farnese:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Apostle Judeau said:
But with monsters active in the world would the Brands even work in the same way as before?

Sure, why not? Now of course, it depends on what you call "monsters", or what you consider to be the way the Brand works. I don't believe every astral creature out there would be out for them, for example.

Apostle Judeau said:
True but I don't really see much to Isidro outside of comic relief. Sure he has had his moments (pretty much whenever his back story has come into focus) but his scenes are generally the lightest.

Really? Then you should re-read the story since his introduction and focus on his character, as I think you're really underestimating him. He's a cheerful lad so by definition his interactions are hardly gloomy, but he's had more than his fair share of character development, and his backstory hasn't come up in over 10 volumes now.

Apostle Judeau said:
Totally but it would be interesting to see the reaction should say Guts party arrive in Falconia with their Brands exposed, given the current relationship Griffiths forces have with the former citizens of Midland (pre-V.36)

Guts can still feel apostles when they're nearby, and I have no doubt that the psychological and emotional reaction to Falconia will be far more interesting than a physical one (pain caused by the Brand) would be.

That said every time he has been near one of the God Hand Gut's Brand has been a virtual fountain of blood, so Falconia may hurt him a fair bit more physically than perhaps even his encounter with Slan.

Aazealh said:
Sure, why not? Now of course, it depends on what you call "monsters", or what you consider to be the way the Brand works. I don't believe every astral creature out there would be out for them, for example.

Agreed. I mean I don't think an exposed Brand would summon creatures from the astral plane to their vicinity anymore, as I believed it did before, but given how many different ones roam the lands now maybe it would be more of a drop of blood in the ocean luring sharks, kind of effect.

As for Isidro, I've just never taken to the character. Not to say that I hate him as most of the characters are written far too well (IMO) for that but, I've never really been invested in his contribution to the party.

Top Bottom