XBox One

What an interesting show it was yesterday :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EJ3kPgtv1qQ#!
ps4%20xone%20comparison(2).jpg

I feel like maybe I'm in the minorty on this but.... I think I am done with this generation consoles. I don't normally say stuff like this because I have always enjoyed a lot of the more recent video games to come out, but to be honest it seems like most companies only care about social media now and I just want a video game system.... to play video games. I don't care if its compatable with Facebook, if it can run Blue-ray, if Hulu Plus is going to be available...

It might be because I grew up with the older consoles with NES and up, but I just miss the days where you can just plug in a system and start playing a video game. No ads, no bullshi*t. I'm sure there will be people to tell me to just stick with the classics then, and that is exactly what I'm going to do.

Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe most prefer only playing FPS shooters, but I've had my fill. There are still hundreds of games from past systems I have yet to play, and I think this is where I draw the line.

I agree, I don't think I will be buying any of them. At least for gaming. I have a PS3 and I've only finished one game. I guess I just don't really care about games anymore. I do use it every week for streaming stuff tho, so there's that.

The only thing I care about when choosing consoles is exclusives. And when I say exclusive, I don't mean available on Xbox 360+PC. I'll almost always go with the a PC version of a game that goes for a 1/4 the price of the console version and allows me to mod my game and back up my save files.

They lost any chance they had of me getting it when it was said that there was a fee to play/install used games on it. I shall stick with my PC for now thank you very much.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Groovy Metal Fist said:
The only thing I care about when choosing consoles is exclusives.

That's why I think I'll stick with the "X-Box One":

46.jpg

Check the url. =)

Wait... what? Sony definitely wins on the name front by default, and from that list seems slightly more free and less like a chore (though it's probably that I just don't understand half of it). Once it's announced that to afford it you have to put up your house as collateral though it won't feel so free anyway. Well, I came to the conclusion I didn't want any more part of this mess a couple generations ago. They should have just called it Cock Box.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
tama chan said:
to be honest it seems like most companies only care about social media now and I just want a video game system.... to play video games. I don't care if its compatable with Facebook, if it can run Blue-ray, if Hulu Plus is going to be available...

Those are the side stuff though; the games are always going to be the focus. I mean during that show MS was focusing on TV and services (as well as the hardware reveal) because the audience wasn't necessarily the gaming crowd but more the general media and/or tech guys, not to mention investors. The big gaming push will come during E3, which is why they displayed a timer for it at the end of the presentation.

I don't care one bit for social media myself, and I'm undoubtedly more hardcore in that regard than most people, but it's a fact now that the consumers want it. Including it as an option isn't a bad thing. As for being a Blu-ray player, well, my Xbox is my only DVD player (aside from my computer), and before that it was my PS2. So I actually appreciate it. Again, it's an additional feature, so I don't see why one would complain about it. Same goes for VOD and other such services. They are a pretty cool bonus, and the Xbox 360 actually does a pretty decent job of it. I think all these things are nice additions.

tama chan said:
There are still hundreds of games from past systems I have yet to play, and I think this is where I draw the line.

There'll always be old stuff one can come back to, but maybe in 3 years when the new systems have dozens of cool titles you haven't played you'll feel like investing in one. :slan:

Lenlo said:
They lost any chance they had of me getting it when it was said that there was a fee to play/install used games on it.

Has this been officially confirmed?

Griffith said:
Sony definitely wins on the name front by default, and from that list seems slightly more free and less like a chore (though it's probably that I just don't understand half of it).

I don't know honestly. "Xbox One" isn't super inspired, but PS4 is even worse to me in its bland iterative style. Anyways, putting the ridiculous hype (positive and negative) aside, I actually found the Xbox presentation more exciting than the PS4's. More promising too, when it came to the technology involved. But of course, in the end it's the games that'll make the difference. Personally I don't plan on buying any of these new systems in the immediate future.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Not a console owner myself, nor do I plan to be (With Dark Souls 2 already confirmed for PC why should I be?), but I found myself utterly bored by all of the news presented by MS on the XBONE. The only thing that had my attention was the separate OSes for different functions of the machine, which will enable you to switch between tasks quickly. That's just cool. But clearly MS was focusing on the mainstream audience with the fucking mantra of TV, TV, TV, Television, TV, Cable Television, TV, TV, FIFA, FIFA, TV, Calladuty, FIFA Calladuty, TV, TV, Calladuty. Calladoggie

I think people casting judgment on these systems at this point are rather foolish. We've seen a mere glimpse of their capabilities and positioning. Like Aaz said, this MS show wasn't for us, whereas the PS4 one was. Therein lies the discrepancy you may read about when it comes to the hype or antihype circling both of these systems. The playing field should be more leveled at E3, which should be more about the games that will actually end up selling these systems. We'll see anyway...

I apologize in advance for acting like an adult in the midst of a console war, btw :troll:

Aazealh said:
Lenlo said:
They lost any chance they had of me getting it when it was said that there was a fee to play/install used games on it. I shall stick with my PC for now thank you very much.
By Microsoft itself I am not sure, but most of what I have read on it believes it to be in there. If they come back and say that its not true and not going to happen then awesome. That would be amazing.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lenlo said:

By Microsoft itself I am not sure, but most of what I have read on it believes it to be in there. If they come back and say that its not true and not going to happen then awesome. That would be amazing.
While I understand that such a policy would be anti-consumer, are used games really that much of a deal breaker for you? Do you not buy new games..? Are you really that interested in saving $5-10 off the box price at GameStop?

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Curious what the opening sale price will be for the upcoming generation of consoles? $399 for the basic package?

Walter said:
While I understand that such a policy would be anti-consumer, are used games really that much of a deal breaker for you? Do you not buy new games..? Are you really that interested in saving $5-10 off the box price at GameStop?
No I dont even use consoles. But it just seems very annoying say when I buy a game, play it love it and then tell a friend about it and lend it to them now they have to pay for something I already bought. Its not a deal breaker, it wasnt meant as that strong a comment, just incredibly annoying.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lenlo said:
But it just seems very annoying say when I buy a game, play it love it and then tell a friend about it and lend it to them now they have to pay for something I already bought.
While I agree in principle—you should be able to do what you want with what you buy (otherwise, you can't even claim to own the thing in question)—I do have a fundamental disagreement with what you propose. I think if you play a game, and love it, then instead of handing it off to a friend, I say spread the word about the game so that others will buy it, and thus the developer will profit. Key word here being love.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
Curious what the opening sale price will be for the upcoming generation of consoles? $399 for the basic package?

A $399 version would be the smart move, as I imagine the premium one will be around $499 if not $549. MS has enough funds to be able to swallow a huge part of the cost (more so than Sony currently, which they would be smart to use to their advantage). Still, it's clearly not going to be an impulse buy.

Lenlo said:
No I dont even use consoles. But it just seems very annoying say when I buy a game, play it love it and then tell a friend about it and lend it to them now they have to pay for something I already bought. Its not a deal breaker, it wasnt meant as that strong a comment, just incredibly annoying.

Hahaha, well then I guess they didn't lose you: they just never had you in the first place. Anyway, the thing with used games and the "always online" tech is a more general issue of the business model changing to something closely resembling Steam. A lot of people swear by Steam, myself included, and that model is what MS, Sony, and all big third party game studios are moving toward. Unfortunately, whether we like it or not I think it's inevitable.

The bad part is that buying games dirt cheap at the store won't be possible anymore. The good part is that game prices are likely going to be a LOT more flexible than they used to be, with regular sales and prices actually going down as time goes by, unlike the surreal situations we've seen in the past where a 7 years old GC game would still cost $60. So it won't be changing that much in the end. I understand why people are against it on principle, and I sure as hell will miss borrowing games from pals, but honestly it's not too big a deal to me. I think most of the outraged people are being hypocritical.

Meanwhile, MS is planning to pre-process parts of the graphics (like the lighting) in the cloud. Wonder how that'll work.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
Wii U Sales Rank On Amazon UK Jumps 875 Percent After Xbox One Reveal:
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/05/24/wii-u-sales-rank-on-amazon-uk-jumps-875-percent-after-xbox-one-reveal/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Sony Stock Up Nine Percent After Xbox One Reveal:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/sony-stock-up-nine-percent-after-xbox-one-reveal

I'll probably purchase the Ps4 first, but i don't really have a problem with the new Xbox except for the design and name which both are really disappointing. People who are complaining now will be ecstatic as all hell when the new haylo and gurrs of war are announced at E3 for the system. I can understand why people are upset at the whole not being able to let a friend borrow a game and try it, but if your friend has enough time to sit down and play the game.. why cant he play it at your house? I actually wonder how much sales a developer has lost from friends letting friends borrow and beat games.

The always needing an internet connection is no problem for me. Though i have a friend whose family has low income so he will actually go over a month or so without internet. I'm sure he won't be a happy camper when he realizes his Xbox doesn't work the day after his internet gets turned off. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Maxwell said:
I actually wonder how much sales a developer has lost from friends letting friends borrow and beat games.

Enough that they've pressured all manufacturers into implementing that sort of solution into their hardware.

Maxwell said:
The always needing an internet connection is no problem for me.

I suspect that 99% of the people complaining are connected 24/7 and can't psychologically endure a day without their smartphone.

The only thing that I find kind of frustrating if I were to purchase Xboxone is the restrictions on used games like Aaz mentioned. I admit I'm ignorant about how much it may hurt the video game industry, but the way I see it, if my friend spent his hard earned money on a sixty dollar video game thats already been bought and paid for, I should be able to borrow it from him and play it. Maybe the fee wont be as bad as people think but it just doesn't feel right to me. Just like anything else, whether its a manga or an anime movie, if my friends let borrow something and I enjoy it I do not mind purchasing it myself to help the industry for what I love.

That's the people are mostly frustated about. I tend to lend games to my friends and they also lend me if they have bought something good etc. Also one thing is that none of these things have been set in stone yet but release is closing in for new consoles,so MS should decide these things fast. Also I read this morning that sony is thinking of making PS4 DRM free so they would gain bigger advantage over MS. PS4 is already looking good and SONY might again make superior console. Since it's Japan based,I think they have right values to make something really good and lasting.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
I'll give it another 3-5 years before I decide on whether I'll bother with a nex-gen system or just build a new PC.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lukis said:
That's the people are mostly frustated about. I tend to lend games to my friends and they also lend me if they have bought something good etc. Also one thing is that none of these things have been set in stone yet but release is closing in for new consoles,so MS should decide these things fast. Also I read this morning that sony is thinking of making PS4 DRM free so they would gain bigger advantage over MS. PS4 is already looking good and SONY might again make superior console. Since it's Japan based,I think they have right values to make something really good and lasting.
As you said, nothing is set in stone. So I don't see the point in relying on rumors like PS4 being DRM free...

Both MS and Sony have been playing coy with the used game situation. Sony just happens to be wearing the cleaner suit right now because they were the first at-bat, and had a presentation that appealed to the core market. MS came later, and got mud in their face for Sony having already set the expectations, AND their show wasn't geared at the people who are arguing on forums about the consoles. Keep in mind that this is still ultimately a business. Sony and MS are both in this to make money, so don't expect them to champion some free-for-all cause. Both companies are likely sitting in the back row, analyzing feedback and plotting out what they can get away with upon release that customers will still swallow at the end of the day. My guess is they'll swallow quite a bit.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lukis said:
That's the people are mostly frustated about. I tend to lend games to my friends and they also lend me if they have bought something good etc.

Well yeah, so does everybody, but that's not in the publishers' best interest. I mean for all the annoyance it represents, I can't personally fault them for trying to make people pay for playing their games. AND those measures also aim to prevent piracy, which is yet another problem for them.

Lukis said:
Also one thing is that none of these things have been set in stone yet but release is closing in for new consoles,so MS should decide these things fast. Also I read this morning that sony is thinking of making PS4 DRM free so they would gain bigger advantage over MS. PS4 is already looking good and SONY might again make superior console.

Eh, I think you're a bit naive here. Sony and MS are both in it together, and I'm sure Nintendo would have been as well given the right context. Yeah, no doubt they're both trying to maneuver so that the other looks bad and they gain the "core" audience's favors. And Sony is definitely playing its cards better so far. But the one thing you ought to keep in mind is who is pushing for those measures? Who? Well it's the big third party publishers. And if they decide they don't want to release their games on a platform that doesn't implement what they want, then what? What good would a DRM-free console be if the games aren't on it? So you see, it's not just the players MS and Sony have to cater to.

As for making a "superior console", I wouldn't say Sony did well in the past generation. They went from first place to last, and most multiplatform games fared better on the X360. So what's "superior" on paper isn't always the right strategy.

Lukis said:
Since it's Japan based,I think they have right values to make something really good and lasting.

Hmm...

Top Bottom