Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 36

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 36 (06/23/2013): Golden Age III Movie Review

Join us for the last of SKnet's movie review podcasts for the Golden Age saga. I hope you like pain! Guests Gobolatula and Grail join the admins for the discussion. We also talk E3 2013 and answer a question about SKnet's beginnings.

Don't forget you can find us on iTunes or by plugging this address into your favorite podcast app: http://skullknight.net/podcast/rss.xml

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Had a blast, thanks guys!

PS: It ended up catching up on us later, but I wanted to give a shout out to Incantation since Gobs and I were drinking Bailey's during today's podcast. Better to drink that stuff slowly. :magni:

Entertaining podcast :ubik: Just a few thoughts I'd like to add

I personally don't think these movies ruin the series for me. As with watching the first two, they've helped me realize how great the manga is or even how good the '97 anime is in comparison. Like its many missteps would jog my memory in recalling how much more effective and well crafted the source material is or how it did or (most often) did not live up to the '97 anime. However, I do think it does cheapen the franchise with such lazy crap.

As for my least favorite. I honestly can't decide. I used to think that the first movie was the best, but really they all now blend into one mess of ineptitude and mediocrity. I think right now in retrospect I'd consider the first film the most forgettable, while the other two at least have some humorous "what were they thinking?" embarrassments that at least keep them memorable. I think both 2 and 3 have a higher camp quality than 1, but between the two....movie 2? The Doldrey and Charlotte scenes are pretty hard to top, though some of the oddball changes to the Eclipse come close.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Roderick said:
I personally don't think these movies ruin the series for me.

Haha yeah, that would be a pretty serious exaggeration. But like you said, I do believe it lessens the franchise.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
One game from E3 I now realize I should have mentioned was Titanfall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5sqPxbLmIU

Looks very cool.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Grail said:
Had a blast, thanks guys!

I'd like to hear more of your take on things actually, particularly a women's perspective on the rape scene. I think us white males hogged most of the time on the subject, naturally (finally our voice is heard =).

Grail said:
PS: It ended up catching up on us later, but I wanted to give a shout out to Incantation since Gobs and I were drinking Bailey's during today's podcast. Better to drink that stuff slowly. :magni:

Social lubrication aside, I think we were all running a bit ragged by the end. Just watching these movies can give one a hangover.

Aazealh said:
Haha yeah, that would be a pretty serious exaggeration. But like you said, I do believe it lessens the franchise.

I can see it both ways. It certainly would have been better for the brand to get a truly awesome adaptation, but to those it really matters to, any anime adaptation is a symbol of status that's better than none. A movie trilogy is a movie trilogy, after all. On paper, Berserk joined the ranks of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings! Unfortunately, in reality, we got the Berserk equivalent of the Star Wars prequels. :iva:

Grail said:

Haha right on! Glad it worked :slan: (I've got a few podcasts to catch up to, so I'll look out for those extra giggles soon) ... I almost went through a bottle last time, was so scared though I'd met Walter, still soooo scary ... shhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa ... even typing that W in his name reminds me of Void's head, like the shape of it and stuff and even his current avatar's crown is a W ... OK! #clicks Post#

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Griffith said:
I'd like to hear more of your take on things actually, particularly a women's perspective on the rape scene. I think us white males hogged most of the time on the subject, naturally (finally our voice is heard =).
To be honest, my opinion on the rape (as depicted in Descent) was almost the same as everyone else's on the podcast, I think. It was pretty flat, and it didn't really translate the feelings of despair and hopelessness from the original. Watching it wasn't comfortable, but I wasn't uncomfortable for the right reasons. This was a surprise for me, since I normally have a hard time getting through volume 13 and tend to avoid it during rereads. :magni:

IncantatioN said:
Haha right on! Glad it worked :slan: (I've got a few podcasts to catch up to, so I'll look out for those extra giggles soon) ... I almost went through a bottle last time, was so scared though I'd met Walter, still soooo scary ... shhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa ... even typing that W in his name reminds me of Void's head, like the shape of it and stuff and even his current avatar's crown is a W ... OK! #clicks Post#
I remember you mentioning that you got through an entire bottle, and I'm beginning to wonder how you pulled it off! I had a few glasses watered down with chocolate milk and had trouble putting sentences together (I wonder if it's obvious during the recording...). I did notice that I swear a lot more, too. :isidro:

And didn't you have pizza with Walter before that podcast? You can't have a pizza with a guy and still be scared of him, it's just not physically possible. :puck:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
My wife reffered this Golden Age as "The most expensive shitty hentai" and that we were all lucky to have witness such thing.

As for the Podcast, good show guys. It is in fact frustrating to see these films and wonder how much better could this have been if handled properly. But as a result like mentioned before, is the feeling that this project was just bad work on a high budget. I really would've rather them spending that money into a better developed series if anything or just not doing it at all. But for those who truly enjoyed it, good for you.

As for E3 I hear you there Walter. It was exciting to see these 2 companies go toe-to-toe for the sake of entertainment alone. I myself am looking forward what this whole indy game claim that Sony keeps showing off is going to bring.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Great podcast, everyone. I really enjoyed it the discussion, even if it was incredibly disheartening. I have yet to see any of the movies. For better or for worse I'm waiting for all three to be dubbed before I jump into it. :magni:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
The only good thing to come of the Berserk Saga Project so far is these movie review-oriented podcasts. I could listen to Aaz, Walter and Griff rail against these movies for hours and not get bored.

I know it sucked having to watch the Golden Age movies, but you guys should know that you kept me (and others, I'm sure) very entertained. :serpico:

Great analysis guys and gal. I disliked this movie the most. I have to agree with Rhombaad, the one good thing about these movies is listening to you all tear them apart.

The overall quality of these projects is disgraceful. Even if it was just a joke, I hope the speculation that these movies have depressed Miura is not the case. It would be terrible if the failures of idiots had a negative impact on the series. I am sure he is not pleased with them, but I hope that he is able to see that he has many fans that are just as upset with how these films were handled as he maybe and that they have a great respect for Berserk.

Also good catch on Casca kissing Femto, I missed that. The creators should be ashamed.

This was the first SK.net podcast I've listened to and I enjoyed it. You guys have a wicked sense of humour. Aaz (Aaz is the French guy, correct?) cracked me up when someone was trying to get their head around one of the (many) betrayals and he's just like: "Ah, it's just some shit."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
Aaz (Aaz is the French guy, correct?) cracked me up when someone was trying to get their head around one of the (many) betrayals and he's just like: "Ah, it's just some shit."

Yeah it's me. Glad you enjoyed it!

Aazealh said:
Yeah it's me. Glad you enjoyed it!

I liked it in the review of movie 1, when Aaz was like 'If I see the fucking Director in the street, I will fucking punch him in his fucking face!'

Think that sums up how a lot of people feel about these films.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Like Miura, the podcast is on hiatus for a bit. I just have too few weekends open during this part of the summer. Lots of family and friends visiting. If something big happens (like a new episode release), count on us recording again soon afterward. Until then, why not listen to all these things one more time? :badbone:

Lmao, just listened to this one last night. I was cracking up at the slaughter of the trilogy. I still enjoy it, though yes, you could scrutinize every second of it not being correct. Berserk for myself is in the stage xmen was prior to the movies. I wanted anything and everything. After some time I don't want xmen to be made anymore. They have ruined it far more than this has berserk. I've said before everyone I've shown it to, which is almost a requirement at my house, assuming you're old enough and I've had a drink. People who know nothing of anime or manga, which is about everyone I know, thoroughly enjoyed it. I highly doubt they'll ever read it, but if you can enjoy a botched version without knowledge of the real thing, I think that speaks very highly of the source material. I always tell everyone that this doesn't have shit on the actual series, but I haven't had much feedback about anyone reading. One guy from work who recommended forgotten realms to me was happy to check it out, so hopefully I hear something soon.

Top Bottom