Favorite Berserk Character Introductions

I wanted to turn a spotlight onto character introductions, particularly their intro scenes. Muira has made many great first impressions of his characters. I want to know whom is your favorite. Be it Guts slamming a canon down a apostles throat? Perhaps the bizarre manifestation of the God Hand in general? Maybe the strange egg apostle?

Personally, the first time I was overwhelmed by a introduction (when first picking up the manga finally) was when the apostles came to bid loyalty to Griffith and join the new Band of the Hawk. In that one scene my heart somewhat dropped as to me it signified great odds to a already daunting journey. Being Gut's path of revenge back to Griffith. It took a lot of hatred to survive the eclipse and drive Guts to fight day and night. There for a moment I thought Guts was getting the hang of battling such odds. Throwing these new apostle hawk warriors in there, was like getting to the peak of the mountain and seeing the vast mountain range yet to come. However, these days I think Guts will likely hold up pretty well. I hope his companions master themselves and Guts indirectly ends up with a very effective group of friends against these great odds in the long run. Seems its slowly becoming that way for sure.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Cool idea.

Before a recent re-read for a podcast, I'd have said Skull Knight or Void. But I actually think Griffith has one of the coolest and most enigmatic introductions.

Before we're formally introduced to him, we know that a man named Griffith turned evil and became Femto. Then in the Golden Age we get this slow reveal of him in volume 4 as the leader of mercenaries, but we don't see his face--just the helmet, which we associate with Femto. We know his name carries meaning from earlier, and when he finally takes off his helmet, instead of this evil guy, we see this radiant, angelic man. And immediately there's this great juxtaposition, and the question becomes: "What the hell happened between these two?"

Oburi

All praise Grail
Well I think Zodd has without a doubt one of the most badass and frightening introductions ever. You have Guts staring down the hallway with mutilated hawk soldiers until he finally sees Zodd standing there like a Satan himself with more soldiers impaled on his sword. Awesome intro.

I would also say Rosine has a pretty cool intro. Miura sneaking her in the pre-eclipse feast is interesting.

I'd have to say the introduction of the God Hand in volume 3, that's when Berserk really intrigued me. Everything about it was just awesome. The way the beherit took shape and summoned the Count and everyone to the God Hand in that place with the stairs (which i hope we get to see again), and how they were in the shadows in different areas and then all of a sudden they appeared right before you with these really unique and interesting character designs that i definitely wasn't expecting, sure we got shadowy figures of them beforehand but i didn't think they were gonna look quite like that.. I think Miura did a damn good job of making them feel evil and powerful in their introduction.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I'm going to go for puck . I was just havi f a chuckle after Guts rescues him and the way he reacts to Guts actions on that first volume.

TheBranded1 said:
I'm going to go for puck . I was just havi f a chuckle after Guts rescues him and the way he reacts to Guts actions on that first volume.

Yeah! I kinda associate that scene with the introduction on the Dragonslayer. The famous panels of Guts bring down the Dragonslayers fury to sinisterly cut the bar goon in half. Definitely a HUGE wow moment. Pucks expression says it all!

berserk_v01_020.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Good question. I think that Isidro's introduction in volume 18 is very well executed. The way he deals with the bandits, managing to go by until he's pretty much cornered. Then as he's running out of options, the Kushans actually attack, and it's the fucking Bakiraka! Then Guts comes in. And it ends with Silat and the Tapasa. I've always loved that whole sequence.

Other than that, I agree with Oburi, Zodd's intro is just super badass. The "big" apostles' intro in Shet is quite striking as well. And of course the God Hand's introduction is pretty cool, as is the Skull Knight's.

Walter said:
Before a recent re-read for a podcast, I'd have said Skull Knight or Void. But I actually think Griffith has one of the coolest and most enigmatic introductions.

Before we're formally introduced to him, we know that a man named Griffith turned evil and became Femto. Then in the Golden Age we get this slow reveal of him in volume 4 as the leader of mercenaries, but we don't see his face--just the helmet, which we associate with Femto. We know his name carries meaning from earlier, and when he finally takes off his helmet, instead of this evil guy, we see this radiant, angelic man. And immediately there's this great juxtaposition, and the question becomes: "What the hell happened between these two?"

Actually we first see Griffith in volume 3, when there's a small flashback of him and Guts on the battlefield.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Actually we first see Griffith in volume 3, when there's a small flashback of him and Guts on the battlefield.
Yep, I hadn't forgotten. It's not a formal introduction though, merely a brief look at who he once was. Even with that scene in mind, Miura makes Griffth's Golden Age introduction something special.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I've always loved Schierke's introduction as well. The first time we see her is right after Lokus and Rakshas and the other apostle generals kneel before Griffith. She was observing the them as a little bird. I remember first reading that and being so intrigued and excited not only because what it meant for the story but also because of how beautifully it's drawn out by Miura. You see the dialog between Schierke and Ivalera and then you get that beautiful reveal of them under the tree. At that point in the series, it just seemed so mystical. Of course later on when Guts' party finally runs into her she gets yet another awesome intro. She saves them from some trolls with her magic and looks badass even for a 14 year old girl.
8b4m.jpg

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I like the introduction of Isma. When we see the ship getting to the island and you just see here standing up with her fishing gear and watching the ship. "who is that mystery girl?!" I asked myself when I saw that episode.

Another great intro for me was Silat. i was so puzzled by who he was because I'd only read about him on the board. (i was checking info on the manga because I liked the anime and wanted the real deal) So I was wondering who that guy was that everybody talked about not being in the anime.

Deci

Even though we first see him during the Black Swordsman Arc, Femto's initial entrance during the Eclipse sticks with me. The thumping, the apostles all stopping and watching in awe, Guts wide-eyed, his wings spreading out and gently landing. All so cool. :femto:

[quote author=Aazealh]I think that Isidro's introduction in volume 18 is very well executed. The way he deals with the bandits, managing to go by until he's pretty much cornered. Then as he's running out of options, the Kushans actually attack, and it's the fucking Bakiraka! Then Guts comes in. And it ends with Silat and the Tapasa. I've always loved that whole sequence.[/quote]

This as well. It also served as Isidro's introduction to Guts. Now that I think about it, anytime Miura introduces Guts to other characters is pretty bad ass. Thinking, when he appears before Farnese and The Holy Iron Chain Knights is pretty awesome. So battle-worn, shoving the massive Dragonslayer into the ground, them all thinking of the Hawk of Darkness from the prophecies. So cool! :guts:

Runner-up, Slan's introduction in the Qliphoth.

I realize most of these aren't initial introductions so I'll go with what Walter said about Griffith, I loved that. ;0

Nice thread! Theres so many awe-inspiring introductions in Berserk and Im pretty sure none can deny the examples given by everyone here. But no matter how many read-throughs, Zodd´s intro always kinda catches me off-guard with it being so overwhelming and amazingly well done. That face closeup of his apostle form following the episode title just as he transforms, on that gorgeous two-page-spread he really defines ultimate evil, the devil himself.

Someone mentioned the DS, not really a character, but I love that little text describing it, one of my favorite moments.

Also, if it counts, the second introduction of Guts, as a baby, beneath his mother´s corpse, hoo boy! The first read-through that moment felt so epic of biblical proportions. That tree! :isidro: As if it didnt look dead enough already! Man, I´d give anything to read THAT story.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I'd really like to say Serpico, but his personal introduction is rather bland. However the reveal of the lake of blood in conjunction with the intro of the Holy Iron Chain Knights and their prophecy was pretty stupendous.

I have to agree that Zodd's introduction is pretty spectacular. Rakshas too. I mean even if it's just a jest, saying he's gonna cut off Femto's head and the way in which he manifests is just amazing.

However, my favorite is probably Daiba. Just how he's sitting there levitating and smoking from a hookah on that totally badass Kushan ship. I love how the panels are arranged, how his face is partially obscured until the full page picture of him. Like how the the panel shows the crocodile pishacha devouring limbs and the panel below shows the bottom portion of his face. It was just such a cool contrast to the magical style of Schierke and Flora and really kind of opened up the world a bit more. Plus I was so hyped for an inevitable clashing with Guts, since he seemed like such a powerful magic user (and did not disappoint one bit). :daiba:

Sarcomere said:
I have to agree that Zodd's introduction is pretty spectacular.

Absolutely, the panel with Zodd having impaled multiple people on his sword is a thing of nightmares. He only gets more badass from there. If Guts swinging a 6ft iron slab of steel through bandits and what not like tissue paper doesn't do it for you, chances are Zodd in all his badass glory will. :troll:

EDIT:

Yeah, upon looking up my particular favorite Zodd introduction panel up, I got to say its more terrifying than I remember:
9236acb65b18553be067ab9695113707607b84fe543c8cae636736e2.jpg

I think Zodd and the Skullknight have the best introductions in my honest opinion in the manga. But in he anime I loved how Guts was introduced in the bar. Those goons at the bar were screwing with that girl and then all of a sudden an arrow comes in and everyone looks to the direction where it came from. As the camera shifts to a large hooded man (Guts) you hear this very brief but perfectly sinister sound played for literally about a few seconds. I just thought it fit the tone of the story perfectly :)

Wasn't this the best introduction?
UG8f0XH.jpg

Hehe well ok, technically even the first tentacles were already his introduction and we had already seen his mouth, but it was still some pretty awesome scene.

I guess the best introduction for me would be the whole God Hand. For me that was the moment when i thought "ok, now things are getting really creepy"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rendarg said:
I guess the best introduction for me would be the whole God Hand. For me that was the moment when i thought "ok, now things are getting really creepy"
Which time...?

The very first appearance in the black swordsman arc. "ok, 5 supernatural H.R.Giger-like beings just appeared in a M.C.Escher-like dimension and i have no idea what's going on... but i need a drink"
Well, their chronological first appearance during the eclipse is of course more impressive (Slan!), but i thought we only analyze the first appearance of characters

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rendarg said:
The very first appearance in the black swordsman arc. "ok, 5 supernatural H.R.Giger-like beings just appeared in a M.C.Escher-like dimension and i have no idea what's going on... but i need a drink"
Well, their chronological first appearance during the eclipse is of course more impressive (Slan!), but i thought we only analyze the first appearance of characters
The reason I ask is because in volume 3, they just sort of appear, whereas in volume 12, each member gets a dramatic introduction.

Good point. I think when i look at each members introduction individually, then both Slan and Void get the top score in V12. And no i'm not just saying that because it's your Avatar :D
It's pretty creepy how he emerges like a shadow in front of the black sun, whereas Conrad's and Ubik's introductions are not very impressive. I think their introductions are one of the few cases were something looks better in the animated version.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rendarg said:
It's pretty creepy how he emerges like a shadow in front of the black sun, whereas Conrad's and Ubik's introductions are not very impressive. I think their introductions are one of the few cases were something looks better in the animated version.
I think Ubik's is quite cool honestly, the perspective shifting and all. Shows a bit of his sense of humor as well.

But of course when you compare them to Void's... well... what can I say? :void:

Walter said:
I think Ubik's is quite cool honestly, the perspective shifting and all. Shows a bit of his sense of humor as well.
Friend of mine, the guy i converted to Berserk, has a 3D TV. That scene in Movie III is really scary in 3D, even if it's just a 2D converted to 3D

A bit surprising (at least to my self) my favourite/most rememberable introduction is actally Mozgus. :mozgus:

I tend to cringe quite a lot when "civilians" in Berserk get slaughtered and before Mozgus is shown you know things are going to end badly: inquisitors have a bad enough rep as it is and the torture devices visible on the carriage also really drives home this point. So for me the build-up was great and the rest of the introduction certainly lived up to my expectations.

What also really makes his introduction stick out for me is the artwork: I'm very fond of the composition of that image when we get to see Mozgus in person, in front of his minions and would-be assassin.

Top Bottom