Little Serpico moment in Vol. 33

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
During the downtime, after Guts rescues Casca and Roderick rescues Guts, but before the pirates attack, there's a scene with Farnese and Casca. Cas is goofing around and Farnese throws a minor tantrum at her out of general frustration.

Now, the in middle and end of that scene, we get a little panel suggesting Serpico is in the wings while this is going on, but he doesn't get an explicit 'hmm, my relationship with the rest of the cast' scene like Schierke does a few pages previous.

I'm wondering what significance that has? I mean obviously the panels wouldn't be there if it didn't matter, but I can't think what exactly witnessing that moment would mean to Serpico that he didn't already know.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Neat! I don't think I ever noticed those panels (indeed, 2 of them suggesting Serpico was observing, or listening). What Farnese says in this scene about Guts and Casca is mighty similar to what Serpico has endured for Farnese.

"He's been hurt again and again for your sake... He's been covered in wounds, and yet you don't understand a thing, and still he..."

Really reminds me of all the things Serpico went through for her sake, particularly when they were young, and yet she doesn't have a clue either.

Ha! All this time, I thought it was Roderick's hand which rested there all along rather than Serpico's, as that little scene between Casca and Farnese unfolded. Especially considering how the panels' shot immediately transitioned away from those two girls and on to Roderick and his crew on the next page.

Also, now that you mention it Lith, that scene from volume 33 with Casca and Farnese in its own way also seems to somewhat parallel a similar water splashing exchange between Guts and Griffith in volume 5, with Judeau observing the two boys from a distance the same way Serpico was watching the two girls.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnny Apples said:
somewhat parallel a similar water splashing exchange between Guts and Griffith in volume 5, with Judeau observing the two boys from a distance the same way Serpico was watching the two girls.
That sounds like a real stretch to me, given that there's no thematic parallel.

I always kind of thought of it as an upleasant moment for serpico, for want of a better term. We already know from everything they have gone through thus far-the fight between serpico and guts in particular where we see serpicos fear of farnese dying by a berserker guts, how serpico feels about this whole journey. We've known pretty much since the get go (vol 24 jumps to mind), but you get the idea. So now here he is, over hearing this from Farnese, and I just imagine that it really isn't sitting well with him, nor is it helping his peace of mind.

Though I like the comparison you made, Walter, with him and Farnese to guts and casca. Definitely didnt think of it that way

Top Bottom