New but not~

**If this isn't the correct area to post this - I apologize.**
Hi! I'm new-ish. I actually joined SKnet 3 years ago but never posted, I don't remember why. I guess life happened. :void:
I was looking through my old photobucket and saw my current avatar and it reminded me of the site. I'm glad to see it's still around!
Well, I guess a little about myself; I'm a 21 year old female in California and I've been in love with the Berserk franchise/series since I was 16. Okay, in this case, love is synonymous with obsessed. At 16 I was new to my town and because of it I was never able to make friends. :sad: I found the berserk anime randomly one day and fell in love with it from the first episode. It really helped me get through the troubles I had then. Upon completing the anime, I wanted more (who wouldn't with how it ended! With a cliffhanger like that I was hooked!!). So naturally that lead me to the manga and it's been a passion of mine ever since. 6 years later, I'm still checking for updates! How's that for an obsession? Haha.

Well anyway, that's my little story. I have never met anyone irl that likes or even knows of Berserk to this degree so it's nice to re-stumble upon this site with fans just like me.
Nice to meet you all! I'm friendly so feel free to chat with me if you wish. :daiba:
I hope to become an active member as I've rekindled my old fondness for Berserk. Planning to re-read the manga for the millionth(*cough*exaggeration*cough*) time and finally get on those new movies!

p.s. If it isn't obvious, Casca is my favorite character (among others of course) perhaps for the reason that I identify the most with her. Hence the name and inspiration for this alias. :casca:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hey there, welcome back I guess!

BlackEyes said:
Upon completing the anime, I wanted more (who wouldn't with how it ended! Miura had me hooked, just like he planned with the anime, clever bastard!).

Miura didn't direct the TV series, so I doubt ending it like it did was his idea.

Deci

Welcome!

Like you Berserk has always been an intensely personal story, though for perhaps in totally different ways! Always good to have your love and obsessions appreciated equally by others, eh?

^_^

There is a thread, I think in the Berserk Miscellaneous section, that asks for you to explain your introduction to Berserk, perhaps tell us a bit more of your story there! :slan:

BlackEyes said:
I have never met anyone irl that likes or even knows of Berserk to this degree so it's nice to re-stumble upon this site with fans just like me.

Just follow this simple pattern:
1. Talk to friend who is into anime
2. For roughly one year you nag the hell out of him/her, how good Berserk is, and how inferior everything he/she watches and reads is in comparision, be it story, characters or artwork. Works especially good, if you point out, how it even touched you on a personal level. Best used in situations like, Friend: "Last weekend i tried this and that manga and anime, so boring and dull..." You: "Really, too bad. Well, if you would read Berserk...." and so on.
3. ????
4. Profit!

It works, believe it!
http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=12196.msg223316#msg223316

and also welcome to sk! :ubik:

Aazealh said:
Hey there, welcome back I guess!
Thanks! :)
Aazealh said:
Miura didn't direct the TV series, so I doubt ending it like it did was his idea.
Oh I know! I remember reading something about how the anime was just like a long advertisement for the manga so I had that in mind. :farnese:

Deci said:
Welcome!

Like you Berserk has always been an intensely personal story, though for perhaps in totally different ways! Always good to have your love and obsessions appreciated equally by others, eh?

^_^

There is a thread, I think in the Berserk Miscellaneous section, that asks for you to explain your introduction to Berserk, perhaps tell us a bit more of your story there! :slan:
Thank you!
I will definitely look for that thread! I'd love to know how others found Berserk and how they connected with it.

TheBranded1 said:
Welcome officially ! There are done CA members depending where you live .
Thanks haha!
I wonder, is there a thread about where members are from? I think it'd be interesting to learn that there are Berserk fans right in my own backyard!

Rendarg said:
Just follow this simple pattern:
1. Talk to friend who is into anime
2. For roughly one year you nag the hell out of him/her, how good Berserk is, and how inferior everything he/she watches and reads is in comparision, be it story, characters or artwork. Works especially good, if you point out, how it even touched you on a personal level. Best used in situations like, Friend: "Last weekend i tried this and that manga and anime, so boring and dull..." You: "Really, too bad. Well, if you would read Berserk...." and so on.
3. ????
4. Profit!

It works, believe it!
http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=12196.msg223316#msg223316

and also welcome to sk! :ubik:
Thanks!
Haha I've attempted that but I'll admit I kind of gave up because they were so uninterested! It's frustrating wanting to show someone something so amazing and they don't even want to give it a chance.. I didn't want to bug them! One refused to read it because they "didn't like gore." Man did I tell him that it's so much more than a "gory manga" and if anything everything fits and is necessary for the most part. I read your thread though and it's a great story! Makes me want to try to get my best friend into it again, third time's a charm, right? :slan:

BlackEyes said:
I didn't want to bug them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrpBLDWyCI

You have to keep going, never get tired to mention it. Well ok, it could have the opposite effect, in my case it worked ^_^
Try talking about all the beautiful aspects of Berserk, the man who walks through hell for his woman or the mystical aspects and stuff like that, without spoiling too much of course, which can be a fine line

About that "gore" thing, well me and my friend are both guys, so i guess the tolerance level for graphical violence is a bit higher for us, i think. He also happens to be the guy who introduced me into anime over 10 years ago, the hard way, with stuff like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, NGE, and does anyone know MD Geist? Lots of intestines, good 80's stuff. So he obviously has no problem with violence in anime and manga. And we are both watching and reading an action-focused series for several years now. So i guess if your friend doesn't like anything with action at all, and maybe just comedy or romantic or slice of life anime and manga... well, that could be a bit of a problem. Not impossible i think, but still much more difficult.

And wow, haha, "Quad"-Post :magni:
You should better just edit your first answer the next time

Rendarg said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrpBLDWyCI

You have to keep going, never get tired to mention it. Well ok, it could have the opposite effect, in my case it worked ^_^
Try talking about all the beautiful aspects of Berserk, the man who walks through hell for his woman or the mystical aspects and stuff like that, without spoiling too much of course, which can be a fine line

About that "gore" thing, well me and my friend are both guys, so i guess the tolerance level for graphical violence is a bit higher for us, i think. He also happens to be the guy who introduced me into anime over 10 years ago, the hard way, with stuff like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, NGE, and does anyone know MD Geist? Lots of intestines, good 80's stuff. So he obviously has no problem with violence in anime and manga. And we are both watching and reading an action-focused series for several years now. So i guess if your friend doesn't like anything with action at all, and maybe just comedy or romantic or slice of life anime and manga... well, that could be a bit of a problem. Not impossible i think, but still much more difficult.

And wow, haha, "Quad"-Post :magni:
You should better just edit your first answer the next time
Failure hurts when it's Yoda telling you you've failed. :c

I will try that line of attack haha. My friends are so lazy, I feel like I'd have to bring the manga to them, plop them back in some comfy chair and flip the pages for them just for them to read it. They wish!! :ganishka:

Haha the friend that said that was a guy though! I was just like "Hey, if I can handle it so can you!" but I guess he doesn't like serious animes/mangas and is more on the other spectrum when it comes to manga.

What's a quad-post? My newbie is showing. :farnese:

Quad-Post, well four posts in a row ^_^
People usually don't like double posting in most forums, you can always just edit your first answer if you want to add something. Imagine a thread where whole pages consist of only one guy replying, not cool :puck:

And yes i had the same feeling with my friend too, hehe. As if i would maybe have to read the whole thing for him to get him into it. He doesn't read much anyway, only that one series that we are both into. Ah dammit, why am i too afraid to say the name the whole time. It's Naruto, yes i'm a Naruto fan, now it's out... but hey, it made me and him start reading manga 5 years ago, so i gues theres something good about it. Ok enough emberassment. Maybe a good way to start is by watching the anime series. I visited him for a weekend and we watched the first 4-5 episodes together and i gave him the rest of the series. Since it ends with a big cliffhanger, he will of course be wondering "damn, what happens next? how did they survive? where is casca?" "well, you can read it, its all here..." *smartface*

Oh well, but if your friend isn't into serious manga, then that really is a problem. It's actually the opposite for me. I had to force myself through things like K-ON for example. At first i was like "hahaha this is so awesome, i love it" but after 10-20 chapters "haha... ha...... ha.......... oh man this is always the fucking same!" :mozgus:

Rendarg said:
Quad-Post, well four posts in a row ^_^
People usually don't like double posting in most forums, you can always just edit your first answer if you want to add something. Imagine a thread where whole pages consist of only one guy replying, not cool :puck:

And yes i had the same feeling with my friend too, hehe. As if i would maybe have to read the whole thing for him to get him into it. He doesn't read much anyway, only that one series that we are both into. Ah dammit, why am i too afraid to say the name the whole time. It's Naruto, yes i'm a Naruto fan, now it's out... but hey, it made me and him start reading manga 5 years ago, so i gues theres something good about it. Ok enough emberassment. Maybe a good way to start is by watching the anime series. I visited him for a weekend and we watched the first 4-5 episodes together and i gave him the rest of the series. Since it ends with a big cliffhanger, he will of course be wondering "damn, what happens next? how did they survive? where is casca?" "well, you can read it, its all here..." *smartface*

Oh well, but if your friend isn't into serious manga, then that really is a problem. It's actually the opposite for me. I had to force myself through things like K-ON for example. At first i was like "hahaha this is so awesome, i love it" but after 10-20 chapters "haha... ha...... ha.......... oh man this is always the fucking same!" :mozgus:
Oh gosh, messing up already haha. I swear I'll be worthy of you guys' love some day. :judo:
p.s. Did I fix it in an appropriate fashion or did I make it worse by having a quote tower now?
GASP!! IT'S A NARUTO LOVER!! EXECUTE HIM!! :mozgus: ONLY KIDDING! Don't worry! I'm not judging you. :griffnotevil: I actually never really watched Naruto or read any of it. I remember attempting some episodes I saw on Cartoon network but it never really stuck to me. Plus, if you knew what Manga was my first manga you would laugh then wonder how the hell I went from THAT to Berserk.

Oooh, that is actually a good tactic. I'll try that! She is barely getting into anime which was a shock to me cause she was never a person who liked it. Her older brother showed her some American comics and she liked those so maybe I persuade her that Berserk is worth it.

BlackEyes said:
or did I make it worse by having a quote tower now?

I've seen worse, hehe :badbone:

Well, glad i wasn't burned at the stake right away. Wouldn't recommend watching naruto anyway, and i'm saying that as a fan, its the show with the most filler episodes ever, about 40% of all episodes is trash that has nothing to do with the manga story (and of course i've watched it all...). Only Part 1 (without fillers) and the first 3-4 arcs of Part 2 (Shippuuden) are worth watching, after that i can only recommend the manga.

BlackEyes said:
Plus, if you knew what Manga was my first manga you would laugh then wonder how the hell I went from THAT to Berserk.

Hm, wild guess, Pretty Soldier Sailormoon :ganishka:
Naw, but that would be too old. Oh wait... one of those "trading card game" anime? Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Digimon and so on?

Grail

Feel the funk blast
BlackEyes said:
Oh gosh, messing up already haha. I swear I'll be worthy of you guys' love some day. :judo:
Tower quotes are not a bad thing around here. :ganishka:

Anyway, welcome back to the board BlackEyes! It's nice to see we've got another west coaster - Gobs and I live in Northern California. :guts:

If you like to do illustrations or other creative stuff, I hope you'll set up a thread in Creation Station and make some contributions!

Rendarg said:
I've seen worse, hehe :badbone:

Well, glad i wasn't burned at the stake right away. Wouldn't recommend watching naruto anyway, and i'm saying that as a fan, its the show with the most filler episodes ever, about 40% of all episodes is trash that has nothing to do with the manga story (and of course i've watched it all...). Only Part 1 (without fillers) and the first 3-4 arcs of Part 2 (Shippuuden) are worth watching, after that i can only recommend the manga.

Hm, wild guess, Pretty Soldier Sailormoon :ganishka:
Naw, but that would be too old. Oh wait... one of those "trading card game" anime? Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Digimon and so on?

Oh man, I can't stand fillers! Kind of reminds me of the anime Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water. I remember watching it when I was younger and remembering that it was going great until they reached one point int he story that was PURE fillers. Like, it was so bad that you seriously wondered what had happened because it was like the biggest trolling via fillers I've seen. According to wikipedia, episodes 23-34 were referred to as the "island episodes" by fans who consider them oddly animated and poor-quality filler." The director really had to save the show from tanking because of it and in result the ending was pretty amazing! Still though, if anyone is to watch that series just skip those episodes lol.

And Sailormoon is my childhood! But so are those others as well. My first manga was actually CLAMP's "Wish" manga. Super girly and sentimental and pretty much the polar opposite of Berserk.

Grail said:
Tower quotes are not a bad thing around here. :ganishka:

Anyway, welcome back to the board BlackEyes! It's nice to see we've got another west coaster - Gobs and I live in Northern California. :guts:

If you like to do illustrations or other creative stuff, I hope you'll set up a thread in Creation Station and make some contributions!
Phew! No newbie sacrifices tonight! :guts:

Thank you! Aw, I just moved from Northern California! I'm in Southern California now. :( I miss NorCal, the people are much nicer and the weather is much more bearable. It was when I was living up in NorCal did I discover Berserk.

I will be sure to do that! I draw and have some old drawings I've been scanning lately as well as some new stuff so that sounds like a great suggestion, thank you! Does it have to be Berserk related or can it be anything creative/illustrative?

BlackEyes said:
Still though, if anyone is to watch that series just skip those episodes lol.
And Sailormoon is my childhood! But so are those others as well. My first manga was actually CLAMP's "Wish" manga. Super girly and sentimental and pretty much the polar opposite of Berserk.
Too late! :ganishka:
Watched the whole series last year after finally remembering the name. Had seen some episodes as a kid but i had forgotten what it was called. And yes the animation was horribly, think i wrote a comment on YT about how it looked like a slideshow, as if the framerate had dropped to 2 or 3. When they walked or moved or lifted an arm or hand, it was like first picture: arm down, second picture: arm at its new position. Worst thing in my opinion was, that they included their first romantic moment and kiss in this godawful island arc, so i thought, naw i can't skip this, maybe something important happens. This island arc is often one of those arguments for the rumour, that Studio Gainax seems to have a habit of running out of money during or at the end of their productions.

Sailormoon was actually one of the anime shows, that started the anime community here in germany back in the late 90's. My friend watched it... and well, i always made fun of him for watching a girl show. Regret that, i watched the whole thing with him 3 years ago, because i thought its something you should know as an anime fan, and it really deserves its status as a cult show.
Don't know about "Wish" but it looks very... colorful :iva: I actually started reading a manga series for girls two years ago, because i thought, hey you know so much shonen stuff, why not try something different, you don't really know what a shojo manga looks like for example. It's fun, but it's also sometimes weird how you get whole double pages full of nothing but stars and sparkling, sometimes so much that you need sunglasses, and just the girl looking at the sky, with just one lovey-dovey sentence like "does he really think about me...". I mean it's cute but at the same time it sometimes also makes me laugh.

Top Bottom