Author Topic: Gigantomakhia—new 6-part scifi miniseries by Miura  (Read 78682 times)

Offline IncantatioN

• Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
Re: Gigantomakhia—new 6-part scifi miniseries by Miura
« Reply #275 on: May 07, 2015, 06:01:14 PM »
Whoa, I'd love to own that deluxe version. Thanks for sharing Raffo!
At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust.

Offline RaffoBaffo

• Of the Interstice
  • Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
« Reply #276 on: May 07, 2015, 06:51:19 PM »
Nice! Is there a poster insert or inside dust-jacket image?
Neither of the two, sadly.
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness.
May those who defy their fate be granted glory.

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #277 on: May 07, 2015, 07:15:58 PM »
Neither of the two, sadly.

Oh well. You guys got a BIG edition, and that's pretty damned cool.  :isidro:
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline jackson_hurley

• Of the Vortex
  • even the horses are cut in half!
« Reply #278 on: May 07, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »
Oh well. You guys got a BIG edition, and that's pretty damned cool.  :isidro:

Still waiting for dark horse to do something about that. Scared of the translation though and like it's been mentioned, I'd really like Viz to steal that one for the English version! (even though the chances are slim since DH have pretty much released everything by Miura, of course except his old work)

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #279 on: May 07, 2015, 07:57:21 PM »
Still waiting for dark horse to do something about that. Scared of the translation though and like it's been mentioned, I'd really like Viz to steal that one for the English version! (even though the chances are slim since DH have pretty much released everything by Miura, of course except his old work)

I'm not sure Dark Horse would necessarily get exclusive rights to it. It'd be a separate license from Berserk. Maybe DH would get first dibs or something.

Also, Dark Horse did release his older stuff (Japan & King of Wolves, at least).

Offline jackson_hurley

• Of the Vortex
  • even the horses are cut in half!
« Reply #280 on: May 08, 2015, 02:52:41 PM »
I'm not sure Dark Horse would necessarily get exclusive rights to it. It'd be a separate license from Berserk. Maybe DH would get first dibs or something.

Also, Dark Horse did release his older stuff (Japan & King of Wolves, at least).

Yeah I knew about king of wolves and japan. I have king of wolves at home. (wanted to have his artwork). I'd just prefer to have a good translation for that one even though I don't make the difference between a good and a bad translation (relating on you guys to notice the difference  :serpico: )

Offline Hitoshura

« Reply #281 on: May 17, 2015, 01:16:18 AM »
Dark Horse finally revealed at their panel at Anime Central that they licensed it and it'll be released in February 2016.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-16/dark-horse-adds-giganto-maxia-rg-veda-danganronpa-i-am-a-hero-manga/.88232
"Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road. Neither human, nor devil... all bends to my will" - Hitoshura

Offline Nildin

Re: Re: Gigantomakhia—new 6-part scifi miniseries by Miura
« Reply #282 on: May 17, 2015, 07:06:28 AM »
BTW the German special edition I bought at Leipzig trade fair is the same as the normal edition but comes with hardcover.

Offline puppet12ca

« Reply #283 on: August 20, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »

Offline Mangetsu

« Reply #284 on: January 15, 2016, 07:49:09 PM »
Just got my Volume this week! It took me some time to get, but im glad that i finally get to own this series. The more i go through the more the story and art grows on me.

By the way the Cover also looks much better on the actual Volume, especially prome is painted very nicely.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #285 on: January 15, 2016, 07:57:22 PM »
By the way the Cover also looks much better on the actual Volume, especially prome is painted very nicely.

I know right? Seeing it on screen really doesn't do it justice.

Offline Rupert Sinclair

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #286 on: February 23, 2016, 03:21:55 PM »
Anyone get the Dark Horse release yet?  The binding itself has a nice quality to it.  They may have put more effort into this as it is a single release.  There are some... weird choices they went with in the translation, typical Dark Horse shenanigans. :schierke:  It's great to be able to sit down and read this in English though, this really is a great little story Miura created.

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #287 on: February 23, 2016, 03:51:46 PM »
Mine still hasn't shipped... I preordered it more than a month ago. Amazon must be having issues with stocking it.

What kind of translation issues?

Offline Rupert Sinclair

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #288 on: February 23, 2016, 05:36:36 PM »
Mine still hasn't shipped... I preordered it more than a month ago. Amazon must be having issues with stocking it.

What kind of translation issues?

Unfortunately it seems it won't be released through Amazon until March 8th, I ordered mine off of TFAW. 

I don't have my copy on hand, but off the top of my head: the giants are referred to as giganto, there's a term on the very first page that seems to have been left untranslated with a note saying *monsters, and a lot of Prome's dialogue is questionable.  Nothing that really ruins it completely; it's consistent with the quality of the translation for Berserk.  It's probably also worth noting that it is a different translator.

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #289 on: February 23, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
Unfortunately it seems it won't be released through Amazon until March 8th, I ordered mine off of TFAW. 

I don't have my copy on hand, but off the top of my head: the giants are referred to as giganto, there's a term on the very first page that seems to have been left untranslated with a note saying *monsters, and a lot of Prome's dialogue is questionable.  Nothing that really ruins it completely; it's consistent with the quality of the translation for Berserk.  It's probably also worth noting that it is a different translator.
Nice. Thanks for looking into it. Giganto?! Wtf... As for the "monsters" thing, I'll check when mine ships, but I think that term might have been in the Young Animal release, but removed from volume, as tends to happen with text on the first few pages of releases.

The bit about Prome's dialogue has me worried though... There's an opportunity to make her sound unique based on her style of speech (think Data), but also a potential to make it go OVERBOARD. Which would be too bad, since she's a great character.

Offline MiyamotoPuck

« Reply #290 on: February 23, 2016, 07:29:38 PM »
Giganto?! Wtf...

In Greek mythology "Gigantomachia" is the war between the Giants and the Olympian Gods, these giants were also called "gigantes", although I don't speak a word of Greek maybe "giganto" could be the singular/plural of "gigantes" ?
In this case it would make sense.

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #291 on: February 23, 2016, 07:39:43 PM »
In Greek mythology "Gigantomachia" is the war between the Giants and the Olympian Gods, these giants were also called "gigantes", although I don't speak a word of Greek maybe "giganto" could be the singular/plural of "gigantes" ?

Sure, but as I recall, they weren't called that way in Japanese.

Offline RaffoBaffo

• Of the Interstice
  • Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
« Reply #292 on: February 23, 2016, 09:12:07 PM »
Nope, the singular is "Gigas", the pluras "Gigantes", if I recall correctly.
May those who accept their fate be granted happiness.
May those who defy their fate be granted glory.

Offline Delta Phi

• Sylph Sword
  • Falconian
  • Of the Nexus
  • Grail Serpico!
« Reply #293 on: February 24, 2016, 01:46:46 AM »
I've had my volume for about a week and haven't cracked it yet

Offline MiyamotoPuck

« Reply #294 on: February 24, 2016, 08:18:13 AM »
Sure, but as I recall, they weren't called that way in Japanese.

Oh right sorry, I didn't check, I understand then.

Nope, the singular is "Gigas", the pluras "Gigantes", if I recall correctly.

Looks like I was wrong, thanks RaffoBaffo. :)

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #295 on: February 25, 2016, 06:04:41 PM »

They never fail to fail, it seems.

Offline Rupert Sinclair

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #296 on: February 27, 2016, 12:25:17 AM »
As for the "monsters" thing, I'll check when mine ships

The whole line:  "Far in the future...  Beyond the end of history...  ...Myths are resurrected.  They are... Terata. *monsters   They are... GIGANTO."

Online Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #297 on: February 27, 2016, 02:29:16 AM »
Well, they're just making stuff up, it seems.

Offline Nildin

« Reply #298 on: February 27, 2016, 09:52:40 AM »
No Terata in the German translation ^^

"In einer... ...fernen Zukunft... ...bevor das... ...Ende naht... ...kehrt der... ...Mythos zurück... ...gemeint sind die Monster... gemeint sind... ...die Giganten."

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #299 on: February 27, 2016, 11:23:16 AM »
The whole line:  "Far in the future...  Beyond the end of history...  ...Myths are resurrected.  They are... Terata. *monsters   They are... GIGANTO."

I can confirm that in the Japanese volume, there's only the kanji for "monster" in that line. And then the kanji for "giant". Nothing was changed from the prepublication.

Also, the only use of "terata" I can think of is as the plural of "teras", a word used in the medical field to refer to severely malformed fetuses. I imagine the translator thought he or she was being clever by using a special word, but why take such liberties? Your job is to faithfully convey the original meaning from a language to another, not make shit up. It's really quite disappointing, and I daren't think of what they did to the rest of the text.