Gigantomakhia—new 6-part scifi miniseries by Miura

Aazealh said:
By the way, could anyone who's already received their Young Animal confirm whether the girl's name is written ブロメ or プロメ ? It's impossible to tell from the pictures because the quality is too low. If it's プロメ (with a small circle instead of two strokes), it would mean that her name is Purome, which would be most reminiscent of Prometheus, a famous Greek mythological figure.
That could make sense, Dellos could also be a Greek name. Delios (Δήλιος in Greek) was a military adviser for Alexander the Great and his father Phillip. The name is also used in mathematical problems that can't be solved.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Joe Chip said:
That could make sense, Dellos could also be a Greek name. Delios (Δήλιος in Greek) was a military adviser for Alexander the Great and his father Phillip. The name is also used in mathematical problems that can't be solved.

If anything it might have been inspired by the island of Delos (Δῆλος), since it bears the same name in Japanese.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I love this! Just witnessing Miura's amazing artwork in something non-Berserk is so strange. But I love the style and the detail. Shit, this man's imagination is so wild, I'm afraid to think of what his dreams are like (never mind his nightmares :magni:).

It's nice seeing Miura is doing something else instead of Berserk for a little bit, gives a chance for more creative opportunities from him. Plus the art for this is impressive on the level that Miura still has an amazing and meticulous imagination for creating his stories.

It looks fantastic! The art style, the greatly detailed fight scenes, the world and its monsters, etc... That's Miura for you :) Also, did anybody else get some serious Nausicaa Valley of the Wind vibes when looking at it? Has a very Miyuzaki like feel to it. That just me?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, thanks to IncantatioN who took pictures of his magazine, I can confirm that the girl's name is Prome (プロメ)! I wonder what kind of fire she wields. :carcus:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
IronBerserk said:
Also, did anybody else get some serious Nausicaa Valley of the Wind vibes when looking at it? Has a very Miyuzaki like feel to it. That just me?

I did, but it's probably inevitable when you combine great, detailed art and the desert/insect/razing giants themes. Some of the first manga I ever got was Nausicaa.. I loved the art but the storytelling was too dense for me at the time (I was really into Gunnm, aheh).

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
xNZyUtP.jpg

Anybody that can translate Miura's comment? Apparently it's something simple like "This isn't keeping me from working on Berserk" but I'm not sure.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
Anybody that can translate Miura's comment? Apparently it's something simple like "This isn't keeping me from working on Berserk" but I'm not sure.

Yeah, it's something along those lines. "It's not like I stopped Berserk!"

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Great start to a mini-series.

IncantatioN said:
Yeah, the main character doesn't look like Roderick :farnese:. That
punch-block
was exciting. Too early to tell if his fighting style is more of a wrestlers?

I'm pretty sure that Delos is a grappler, because of the way
Delos uses the water to make his hair slick, how he tries to capture and gain control over Big Bug Man's hand, and how Delos pivots around Bug Man's body to suplex him.
Of course, I say that while running the risk of being proven wrong when the next issue comes out, which, in that case, I shouldn't be too far off by saying that Delos, at least, is very experienced with grappling. Eitehr way, this fight is great to look at.

Also another thing that I like:
Crying bug grandmother as she throws eggs at Delos' head.

Deci

IronBerserk said:
Also, did anybody else get some serious Nausicaa Valley of the Wind vibes when looking at it? Has a very Miyuzaki like feel to it. That just me?

Yep, that was one of the thoughts that crossed my mind as I looked through the first few pages, even with the desert starting point too, and then from reading the comments about how the bugs hate the Empire. Definitely not a bad sign if your invoking one of my favorite (if not favorite) anime movies so far.

It feels more fantasy to me, I guess the line between Sci-Fi and Fantasy is blurry for me sometimes. Either that or I have a poor definition for them. :serpico: Anyway irrelevant, I'm definitely happy to see Muira's art again and am definitely interested in where this short stories gonna go. Seems like it has so much to do in so few episodes!

Still wish it was a Berserk release more. :griffnotevil: I'll shut up about it from now on though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Not much time to check it out but it's quite interesting, though the giant has yet to reach the city. I think Delos looks quite badass in that fight overall. It also made me smile to see the "Desert Sea Cucumber" at the beginning of the episode, felt like a cute nod to Berserk. Anyway, Ogun's parents were killed in front of his eyes by the empire, so that explains his anger towards Delos. And we get to see Prome heal Delos' wounds using whatever's under her skirt. No doubt Marvin Gaye would approve. She also heals a beetle just by touching it with her tongue, so her powers are clearly nothing to sneeze at.

Thanks a lot for sharing this! Delos can take a heavy beating and fight back like that, very cool. Wild eyebrows on page 25! On page 37, the defeated creature with a serpent head reminds me of the creature shown attacking unicorns in Vol 34.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
On page 37, the defeated creature with a serpent head reminds me of the creature shown attacking unicorns in Vol 34.

In Berserk, a hydra. Here a demi-human who's been crossed with a reptile.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Excellent fight! I really love seeing Miura's illustrating different fighting styles.

Everything on page 36:
Prome's puckered lips as she kisses everything is great; and, the old (bug) man's face/healed back is great as well.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Handmade_lion said:
Hahaha, is that a sharpshooter he puts him in?
Seems like it, but that move also has an alternate name—Scorpion Deathlock (appropriate). Here's a video of Delos using it against a Tiger demihuman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm7A4pgIhYA

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Some random info about the episode.

Prome finds Delos to be reckless, but she notices that the crowd's anger at Delos is reduced. They're surprised he can withstand the punches he's getting. After the fight, she tells him that he's achieved his goal: they've accepted him, they were impressed. But she says it was pretty risky, that if he'd used her, he could have had benefits other than achieving his goal.

She medically diagnoses him very thoroughly as he's lying down. Says it will take 3 days to treat him. Because she doesn't want to waste time treating him anymore, she tells him that "Nectar" will be injected into him from her body. She also adds that the receiver is in his head (referring to his mouth). Since he's embarrassed and protests, she says she's not a type of being who can care about this kind of feelings, further making it clear she isn't human. During that scene she also pulls one of my favorite lines from the Skull Knight (when he tells the apostles he won't allow them to get to Flora), then says that she doesn't accept his death, and that from now on if his life is in danger, she won't hesitate to perform her function, even if it's against his wishes.

Anyway, he's completely cured, but says that as a human, he feels like something's ended. The kids ask him how he could be cured from such serious wounds, and he replies it's magic. Prome's somewhat reluctant to cure the bug but does it when Delos insists. Delos also tells Ogun he was cured by Prome, saying it's magic again, so Ogun asks her if she's a "Kar" (spirit). Delos says that he could survive thanks to Prome's healing, and that without her he wouldn't have fought that dangerously. Prome says it isn't true, that he would have done the same thing without her, that he is that kind of person.

Delos was a gladiator, a fighting slave. He had to fight everyday. Eventually he couldn't endure it, the whole thing (the crowd, etc.). Ogun asks him why he didn't avoid his punches. If he thought they weren't worth avoiding, or if he pitied their kindred? Delos just replies that it's his way. And when Ogun asks him if he doesn't feel hatred for an enemy that tried to kill him, Delos says that hatred is a bothering feeling, one he doesn't like.

They're being taken to the chief at the end.

Deci

Thanks Aaz!

Very, uh, interesting method of healing Prome has. I get a sort of Chicchi vibe from her. Guts was also cured by a supernatural young-girl-looking creature with seemingly connections to plant-life around a type of gladiator-ish duel. Only his was beforehand. ;O Sorry, Berserk comparisons are unavoidable here!

I think Prome might be genetically engineered somehow, or mayhaps an ambassador or authority from the plant world that is probably being destroyed by the empire. Or all of the above?

I also have some curiosity about what her "magic" would entail if she did something really big.

Anyway, I'll stop with the speculation there. I'm hardly that close and with Miura sometimes there's really just no telling. I'm interested to see this chief and what we might learn about what's going on in the bigger picture perhaps. I have a feeling we'll learn more about Prome next episode.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Very, uh, interesting method of healing Prome has. I get a sort of Chicchi vibe from her. Guts was also cured by a supernatural young-girl-looking creature with seemingly connections to plant-life around a type of gladiator-ish duel. Only his was beforehand. ;O Sorry, Berserk comparisons are unavoidable here!

I think Prome might be genetically engineered somehow, or mayhaps an ambassador or authority from the plant world that is probably being destroyed by the empire. Or all of the above?

Keeping in mind the original Greek story, the name she bears, and the fact she's using "Nectar" to cure Delos, I'd say she's some sort of superior being. I stop short of saying "god", but it might be appropriate really. Anyway, I thought about the plant connexion when I first saw her (her robe's design...), and there are parallels to be drawn to elves in Berserk (Guts & Puck), but the way she speaks about herself ("use me", "my function") implies something along the lines of a machine. That being said, so far we've seen pretty much nothing mechanical in that world...

Deci said:
I also have some curiosity about what her "magic" would entail if she did something really big.

I'm curious to see how Delos will make use of her, specifically to fight the giants. I'm having this weird idea that they could fuse together to become another giant and fight like that, wrestling. Given the size of this work and the pace of the story so far, I believe the fight against the giant attacking the village will be the culmination of the story.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Keeping in mind the original Greek story, the name she bears, and the fact she's using "Nectar" to cure Delos, I'd say she's some sort of superior being. I stop short of saying "god", but it might be appropriate really. Anyway, I thought about the plant connexion when I first saw her (her robe's design...), and there are parallels to be drawn to elves in Berserk (Guts & Puck), but the way she speaks about herself ("use me", "my function") implies something along the lines of a machine. That being said, so far we've seen pretty much nothing mechanical in that world...
Yeah, I'm also torn—avatar of the Earth/Plantlife? Advanced android? She's becoming a more interesting enigma than the giant. The Guts and Puck connection is also interesting--even the reckless way he fights is like Guts.

I'm curious to see how Delos will make use of her, specifically to fight the giants. I'm having this weird idea that they could fuse together to become another giant and fight like that, wrestling.
I didn't think of the possibility until this episode for some reason, but it seems likely to me, given the focus on Delos' fighting style.

Regarding Ogun, as Aazealh says, his parents were killed by the empire. I wonder if that's who we see in the first page of the first issue, as a child? No way to tell, I guess... These bug people all look the same. :ganishka:

The ending was really exciting, I just wish I didn't have to wait to learn more about the presumed leader behind Ogun's scarab clan...

Top Bottom