Gigantomakhia—new 6-part scifi miniseries by Miura

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Holy. Fucking. Christ. The next one is just gonna be explosive! Beautiful!

And if I'm not wrong it's a 45 pages for the last one right? Gonna be humm crazy?! Awesome?! Crazy awesome!!

I really like
how the giant (the good one that I forgot his name) moves, with seemingly gush of winds or something like that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Great stuff, no punches pulled here, literally.

Prome says "Delos Goura, following our contract, we will destroy the giants of Olympus." And then "Gigantomakhia starts!" She continuously refers to him as "Delos Goura".

As for the super-punch, she calls "Nitro-nectar ignition!" as it begins. Not shying away from the staples of the genre. :badbone:

The Titan throws fireballs at Goura that he deflects (first to protect himself, then the bystanders). It then deploys the "Plasma-blade" that is on its head, about which Prome says that if Goura takes the brunt of the hit, he could be cleaved in half.

I'm really curious to see what the Titan's face is now. Looks quite hideous, and like it has two faces inside of each other. Quite intriguing.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the explanation, Aaz. I figured that porous design on Goura wasn't just for looks :ubik:

Also, great that we have some of Delos and Prome's goals stated, even though it was pretty clear...

I found some of the action hard to follow until I pieced the two-page spreads together. It looks like the giant's fireballs are deflected the first time, but then a second volley manages to hit Goura. Also, the plasma blade does appear to injure Goura somewhat before he's able to slam it at the end.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
It looks like the giant's fireballs are deflected the first time, but then a second volley manages to hit Goura.

That's because he chose to protect the villagers instead of himself. That Oracle fights dirty!

Walter said:
Also, the plasma blade does appear to injure Goura somewhat before he's able to slam it at the end.

Yeah, we can see that he was hit in the abdomen.

Thanks you so much for the ep and thank you Aaz for the descriptions. Such an awesome episode, wonder how this will all finish?? It's kind of sad seeing how great this is and knowing there is only one episode left :( but at the same time, that brings us ever closer to Berserk!! :guts:

to bad I can't read japanese, seems like a awesome episode.

So this means that we just have a month to go till Berserk resumes. How long has it been? A year and 2 months?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackalj said:
So this means that we just have a month to go till Berserk resumes. How long has it been? A year and 2 months?
That's presumptuous at this point. All we know is that it will resume sometime after Gigantomakhia. No specific date has been given. As for how long, the last episode came out in December 2012.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Call me crazy, but I want more Gigantomakhia. Lots more.
Not crazy. I've been thinking the same thing over the past two issues. However, I am looking forward to Berserk returning. But if Miura ever said he'd like to make the series a little longer, I would not object.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Upon seeing Goura, the Scarabae's chief says he thought it was odd for 2 Hu to be able to reach this place, their holy ground. He already thought they were ones blessed/protected by a giant. Goura is 53 meters high (about 174 feet for you crazy US folks). Prome refers to being a "contractor" again and the furigana "エルゴラボス" (Ergo Rabos?) is used. Not sure what that means. She also specifies that Delos didn't transform into Goura. He IS Goura.

After Goura puts the Titan down, the Oracle talks about receiving its pain. Then says it's got a secret technique (the fireballs). Prome specifies that these fireballs are "reactive heat plasma" and that Delos shouldn't let them touch him. For the anecdote, both the words "nitro" and "plasma" are derived from Greek. Not a coincidence. Anyway, Prome then wonders what could be done, and advises Delos to dodge, as his body temperature is increasing. Delos refuses to move in order to protect the villagers.

Prome then repeats to them (the Scarabae) what she'd said before, that she'll fulfill her role in order to protect Delos if the situation calls for it, and that she can temporarily slow down Delos' consciousness to a stop so that she can control Goura. Delos objects that they're not in a pinch. Prome tries to come up with a physical or chemical protection as the fireballs hit, but Delos says he doesn't need it (so virile~). Prome tells him that his sense will be numbed if he doesn't, meaning he won't be able to defeat his enemy. He replies that "a wrestler should overcome pain and noise from the crowd. I'll use my maximum power." She chastises him because he doesn't think logically, and yells for him to dodge as the Titan charges with his plasma-blade. Ogun's words as the episode ends: "That technique...!!"

Aazealh said:
she can temporarily slow down Delos' consciousness to a stop so that she can control Goura.

Thank you Aaz for all those details!

Prome is basically saying she could pilot Goura like a conventional mecha if needed. That's a really cool detail. :void:
With a consciousness (but assisted by a god-like being) and a body structure allowing him to do wrestling, sounds like the ultimate giant robot!

Since Goura is a "giant robot", I wonder if he has a distinctive sound. Also, I wish we could know more about Goura's biology and various fonctions. I would kill to have some rough mechanical designs.

I really like the way Miura has built this world, especially the Scarabae tribe and the many social significance of their body evolution. One of them being what Aaz explained in his summary of the third episode about the link between insectoid traits/bloodlines and the chief election. As always with Miura, the amount of richness of detail and consistency is fascinating.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Gobolatula said:
Call me crazy, but I want more Gigantomakhia. Lots more.

Me, too. I've really been enjoying it. Like Walter said, I wouldn't mind if Miura returned to this world after finishing Berserk.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Miura's comment in this YA was: "An otaku is someone who scrapes up and recreates the things he liked in the past."

In short he's labelling himself a nerd while saying that Gigantomakhia is a tribute to the giant robot genre.

Ryouma said:
I wish we could know more about Goura's biology and various fonctions. I would kill to have some rough mechanical designs.

Well he's not really "mechanical", so I doubt you'll ever see that. :slan:

Aazealh said:
Miura's comment in this YA was: "An otaku is someone who scrapes up and recreates the things he liked in the past."

In short he's labelling himself a nerd while saying that Gigantomakhia is a tribute to the giant robot genre.

That statement is making Gigantomakhia even more priceless to me.

Aazealh said:
Well he's not really "mechanical", so I doubt you'll ever see that. :slan:

I meant every detail Miura came up with, in order to design and make Goura meaningful and functional in this meticulously crafted world, from the blank page, to the current and final result. :iva:

So now that Gigantomakhia is almost finished (and seeing how amazing it turned out), are you guys glad that Mr. Miura did it, or would you have preferred some Berserk episodes instead ?
In my case i seriously Loved this work and words can't describe how happy i was when i learned that he would do a Sci-Fi mini series. In the end i was blown away by the last few episodes, as you can tell i am glad he did it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Joe Chip said:
So now that Gigantomakhia is almost finished (and seeing how amazing it turned out), are you guys glad that Mr. Miura did it, or would you have preferred some Berserk episodes instead ?

I'm really glad Miura did it. Sure, I'm eager for Berserk to return, but it was cool seeing something new from Miura, set in an entirely different world, with equally interesting characters.

I feel the same.
These six episodes showed just how good Miura is at worldbuilding, lore and all the aspects of a good manga that a lot of mangaka never manage to get just right. However, I see it more as a small experiement were he processed recent trends, ideas he may had to scratch from Berserk's plot outline and a lot of his personal favourite ideas he had no chance to ever draw into a single, small piece of art that is both charming, a bit strange and ultimately just as engaging as Berserk itself.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
http://www.mangaforever.net/134993/kentaro-miura-capitolo-extra-per-gigantomakhia-berserk-ritorna-a-marzo

This Italian site talk about an extra episode of Gigantomakhia on the YA n.5 (28 February):

The source is, apparently, the new YA (n.4) that is already out:

cN6el6N.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Neat. I'll verify when my YA #4 arrives sometime this week.

RaffoBaffo said:
The source is, apparently, the new YA (n.4) that is already out:
It's not due out til 2/14 though, so that's a very early leak.

RaffoBaffo

Ex-Newser of the late Berserk Chronicles
Walter said:
Neat. I'll verify when my YA #4 arrives sometime this week.
It's not due out til 2/14 though, so that's a very early leak.

So, the extra episode is real, but will be released on the N.5 of YA (14 March), nothing from Miura in the next issue.

i9kf.jpg

Top Bottom