Gigantomakhia—new 6-part scifi miniseries by Miura

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Zoddiscute said:
Yeah, I'm sorry I couldn't resist, some people are far to serious around here.

Good thing you're here to lighten up the mood. That's a real knee-slapper you pulled off.

TheBranded1 said:
I'm wondering if Miura wil do a colored page in the last issue?

Possibly, but if so I think it would have been announced. Maybe we'll get one as a preview of the Tankôbon's mini-posters, assuming there will be some. I hope the initial color page we saw will be the cover. Would be fitting.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
I'm guessing since it saw print in YA, it's not a stretch to assume it'll be printed as a single volume, right?

No official word yet, but yeah, safe bet.

I really enjoyed giganthomakia
i am happy that miura is doing an bonus episode, but i have a feeling that the next berserk movie will be announced soon
Maybe this was the reason for the long hiatus ?!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TheWillOfT said:
I really enjoyed giganthomakia
i am happy that miura is doing an bonus episode, but i have a feeling that the next berserk movie will be announced soon
Maybe this was the reason for the long hiatus ?!

I'm pretty sure that Gigantomakhia was the reason for it, not work on another movie.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
I'm pretty sure that Gigantomakhia was the reason for it, not work on another movie.

I don't know, we might be on to something here. Considering the quality of those movies, Miura might have wanted to distance his work from them as much as possible for a while (moreso than the movies themselves already did =); so, in the meantime, "author of Gigantomakhia" was like his witness protection identity and getaway. Now it all makes sense. Thankfully, I think the coast is just about clear.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I don't know, we might be on to something here. Considering the quality of those movies, Miura might have wanted to distance his work from them as much as possible for a while (moreso than the movies themselves already did =); so, in the meantime, "author of Gigantomakhia" was like his witness protection identity and getaway. Now it all makes sense. Thankfully, I think the coast is just about clear.

I think what TheWillOfT meant was that Miura was busy working on the movie. :slan:

TheWillOfT said:
Did miura ever talk about the time that he is investing in an episode ? i know that he is working 15-16 hours a day

He has mentioned some details in passing over the years, but that doesn't amount to a clear rundown that could be applied to every episode, especially given the irregular schedule he has these days.

'Twas interesting to see Miura working on another medium other than BERSERK. Whatever your thoughts on this series, Miura's artwork is always to be admired in and of itself, such as the kineticism of the fight scenes which I found particularly impressive. Overall, it wasn't my cup of tea, though, and I'm looking forward to him getting his magnum opus back on track.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Neat, we get to see more of the world (of the Empire's campaign of conquest) and learn some more about Delos and Prome. Doesn't have quite the same weight to it than the last issue, but I guess that's to be expected given that it was a really late addition.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
This episode only left me wanting more :T Where as I was totally satisfied with waiting (a decade or two) after the seeing the previous episode. Oh well, i guess i could just read Berserk...I guess.... I kid I kid. I'm ecstatic that Berserk is on it's way back, chomping at the bit if you will (just saw the latest the Final Bosman episode, heh).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Loved the wide variety of conceptual material we get here, and of course seeing more races from this world, and different types of giants. Clearly they are all constructed of Gaia's body (and I think that's what we see in this episode, actually), but have a different mantle for whatever reason. As always, I believe this episode will benefit greatly from a translation. As it stands, it does sort of stick out from the graceful conclusion of the 6 part story arc. Just from looking at it, it seems like another perhaps earlier chapter in Delos and Prome's lives. But if Miura chose to reopen that story, it makes you wonder why end it here?

jackson_hurley said:
Land merrows! Sweet! As usual awesome stuff by the master himself!
They're actually more like serpents, if you notice their tails on Page 01.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
They're actually more like serpents, if you notice their tails on Page 01.

Yeah I did notice. It just was the first thing that got to mind when I saw them. Especially the panel when we see more their shadows. :slan:

The character of Delos, the claw itself, the ferocious fight, all of that reminds me of Hercules' first labor (which was to slay the Nemean lion).

'wikipedia' said:
After slaying the lion, he tried to skin it with a knife from his belt, but failed. He then tried sharpening the knife with a stone and even tried with the stone itself. Finally, Athena, noticing the hero's plight, told Heracles to use one of the lion's own claws to skin the pelt

All the oceanic elements Miura put in this episode are really neat.
My favorite detail is easily the campfire build inside the giant seashell. I'm not surprised Prome choose this as a shelter but that's a really cool moment I think. Also, i found the eleventh page particularly amazing.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You guys can hear our impressions on the miniseries' epilogue in the newest SkullKast.

To summarize the episode: It's likely set after the events of the 6-part miniseries, and picks up as the empire is pillaging the giant of another race of Mu, this time a female serpent tribe. Prome and Delos arrived too late, this time.

As they wander the land, Delos asks Prome what the world was like before, was it filled with life? She says at one point, there were as many lives as there are stars in the sky. But stars fell to earth, creating a superplume decimating life on the planet. Every 100 million years, the planet experiences a mass extinction like this, but organisms adapt and find new ways to survive. The flesh of Gaia helps nourish the planet, but it's being taken by the empire.

Prome says her purpose is to promote diversity of life, and to unify humanity with the rest of the world--returning things to symbiosis.

Delos remarks that when he first met Prome, she was taller, with more features of a woman. And since their travels, she's regressed to childhood. It's a result of her nourishing Delos with her body's nectar, since their travels are so desolate and they rarely find food.

Suddenly, an evolved ancestor of the microscopic Tardigrade (commonly called the Water Bear) , stumbles onto their camp, and Delos assaults it for food, taking one of its legs. He passes out at the conclusion of the fight, and once again is brought back to health by Prome's nectar, further regressing her to childhood. She says she doesn't mind it.

Note: In this issue of Young Animal, Miura's comment was "では、本業に戻ります", loosely translated as: "Now... Back to the main business." (image)

With the conclusion of the series, there won't be any news in this thread for a while. But stay tuned for word of the volume edition, which has yet to be announced, but is likely to come later this year.

'Walter' said:
Delos remarks that when he first met Prome, she was taller, with more features of a woman. And since their travels, she's regressed to childhood. It's a result of her nourishing Delos with her body's nectar, since their travels are so desolate and they rarely find food.

I love this ! Amazing idea.

Thank you for this summary. This epilogue not only provide amazing details but also magnified this universe. I'm impressed. Can't wait for the volume edition.

Can't wait to see the cover art though. As we already said, this one would be great anyway.

Gigant-Makia.jpg

Top Bottom