Berserk Redux: A Fanedit of the Golden Age and the '97 anime

I just created a trailer for the Redux project. Very much in the spirit of Gone Girl and the Social Network trailers.

https://vimeo.com/118679440

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
ApostleBob said:
I just created a trailer for the Redux project. Very much in the spirit of Gone Girl and the Social Network trailers.

Really enjoyed the trailer, Bob. Maybe not a great "theatrical" trailer since it's essentially a condensed narrative of the Golden Age arc (and long, but I assume that's to show off some of your splicing), but it's enjoyable for those already familiar with the series. What was the music selection? I thought it brought a really nice tone to the whole thing.

Glad you enjoyed it. I’ve seen so many AMVs that focus just on the violence and action of the series, and I wanted to focus on something that I feel like is often under represented: The amazing character development of the series. The trailer is meant to show case the inclusion of the two mediums and how they complement each other, while also giving a feel to a newcomer of what Berserk is all about. I tried to avoid any major spoilers while cranking up the tension as much as possible. I avoided anything after the second duel of Guts and Griffith, aside from a hint of the Eclipse so that people expect some fantasy elements. As to its length, it’s essentially a trailer for four movies in one, so I felt like 4 minutes was justified.

The song is called “Vengeance” by Zack Hemsey from “The Equalizer” soundtrack. I felt like it had a good foreboding tone, with an almost inevitable march toward doom without being too overbearing. I like how simple it is.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I think you succeeded in everything you said above, and I did appreciate how you avoided showing major spoilers.

ApostleBob said:
Glad you enjoyed it. I’ve seen so many AMVs that focus just on the violence and action of the series, and I wanted to focus on something that I feel like is often under represented: The amazing character development of the series.

ApostleBob said:
The song is called “Vengeance” by Zack Hemsey from “The Equalizer” soundtrack. I felt like it had a good foreboding tone, with an almost inevitable march toward doom without being too overbearing. I like how simple it is.

Definitely. It all felt much more dramatic this way. It's a refreshing change from screeching guitars and screaming choirs.

I'm currently working on a cosmetic update to the series with a new Codec that will fix some resolution issues. I've tried to nail this issue before, but I finally have it. To get a sense of what's to come, check out the trailer for the updated resolution.

As those with keen eyes might notice there are some minor flaws here that are still being ironed out. Everything else outside resolution will remain the same.

This being said, I have a request from the SK community. I currently have very high res versions of both the movies and the anime that will be included. In addition to this, there is a very small amount at the very end of the fourth film that includes some footage of the Test footage that the studio used to convince Miura to allow them to make the movies. This includes some Black swordsman fight footage, as well as Griffith in his Post Albion armor. This all comes from a half hour japanese program promoting the release of the first movie, which is mainly interviews. The resolution I have on this is SD and a little compressed at that. Does anyone have a higher res version of this? I know there was a Download for it back in the day.

If I'm updating everything, I may as well keep the standard for everything as high as I can. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

ApostleBob said:
This being said, I have a request from the SK community. I currently have very high res versions of both the movies and the anime that will be included. In addition to this, there is a very small amount at the very end of the fourth film that includes some footage of the Test footage that the studio used to convince Miura to allow them to make the movies. This includes some Black swordsman fight footage, as well as Griffith in his Post Albion armor. This all comes from a half hour japanese program promoting the release of the first movie, which is mainly interviews. The resolution I have on this is SD and a little compressed at that. Does anyone have a higher res version of this? I know there was a Download for it back in the day.
Do u have a link to these footage? or to the program? :carcus:

It's here:

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv75949877

Walter describes it on page 35 of the Berserk Saga thread. Not sure if anyone has access to this but if they were able to upload the test footage at high quality, I'd be much obliged! I'm nearing this portion of the conversion and need a high def portion of this section.

I currently have a shitty SD version of it from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJo9HtK10oM&feature=player_embedded

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, that YouTube link is the highest quality available of the test footage, and will probably remain that way forever. I mean, I'm surprised we got to see ANY of it. On top of that there is of course the footage shown during the commercials ahead of the release of the first movie. Those show Guts as Black Swordsman chopping through some HICKs in vol 16 and of course Griffth presumably on the Hill of Swords.

Walter said:
On top of that there is of course the footage shown during the commercials ahead of the release of the first movie. Those show Guts as Black Swordsman chopping through some HICKs in vol 16 and of course Griffth presumably on the Hill of Swords.

Does anyone know of any high quality versions of either of those commercials?

I’m happy to announce that Berserk Redux is now available in much higher resolution for all four films. For those unfamiliar with Berserk Redux, it is a fan-edit that blends the Berserk anime with the recent Berserk movie trilogy, to make a series of films more faithful to the source manga, more cinematic in pace, and richer in both character and story. Both the films and the series had their advantages and shortcomings. The films looked great but had many glaring story and character omissions, and the anime had deeper characters but omissions in other places and dated animation. Put together, the two overlap nicely with each filling the gap in the other, and I’ve trimmed out any filler or non-canon content that bogs it down.

How was this done? After experimenting with different Codecs, I found one that’s retaining almost all the resolution through the compression process. This will stand out especially for the clips from the Golden Age trilogy which often have fine detail in the armor and crowds, and in the Eclipse, where the reds were previously pixelating much worse than elsewhere. This took a lot of work as each clip needed to be filtered to preserve the proper aspect ratio.

There are no new edits to the films from previous versions of Redux, nor is the anime cropped to be letterbox. This was attempted at one point, but it became quickly apparent that while the animation is under par of the films, the anime makes up for this with the beautiful framing of each shot. Cropping half the picture ruined this and often omitted crucial detail, and lowered resolution through picture blow up. I know some may find the switch between mediums jarring at first, but I promise that the story flows much better than any other version out there.

This is very likely the final improvement to Berserk Redux before I consider it complete. It is available for download, but you should own a copy of the films and anime before doing so to support the original creators.

Thank you very much for all your support. The Redux series has reached 90,000 views which is incredible for a fan-edit series of two hour films. Hopefully this updated version will make the viewing experience even better for all future audiences. Thanks.

https://vimeo.com/album/2610343

I watched the trailer earlier today and I have to say that I can't wait to see this!

Hopefully I'll have the time to sit through it all this upcoming weekend.

Thank you for all of your hard work, ApostleBob! I really appreciate it! :ubik:

I recently received a Vimeo notice to remove Berserk Redux as they view it as a movie rip. This was always a possibility and I get their perspective. I'm going to try to appeal this as it's not a rip but a blending of 25 episodes and three movies into a four movie long fan edit distinctly different from the original. I don't hold out much hope though, so if you want to view it, you likely have only a day or so to before it is no longer available. We'll see how the appeal goes. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
ApostleBob said:
I recently received a Vimeo notice to remove Berserk Redux as they view it as a movie rip. This was always a possibility and I get their perspective. I'm going to try to appeal this as it's not a rip but a blending of 25 episodes and three movies into a four movie long fan edit distinctly different from the original. I don't hold out much hope though, so if you want to view it, you likely have only a day or so to before it is no longer available. We'll see how the appeal goes. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Sorry to hear that, man. I know you've been working hard on it for quite some time now, so I hope that it gets to stay up.

No word yet on the appeal, so it's up until then :)

UPDATE:

I just received this:

"Thanks for reaching out and thank you for your patience. This was a tough call for our moderators, but unfortunately Vimeo declines to host this material. As you know, the golden rule of Vimeo is that you are only permitted to upload videos that you had a hand in creating. While your fan edit is indeed ‘touched’ by your edits, the majority of the content is ripped from movies and television.

Regarding ‘fair use,’ we appreciate your appeal, however, you have yet you did not provide a sufficient basis for claiming “fair use” of the identified material.

Please remove this and any other ripped content by Friday, September 18, 2015.

Thank you for your understanding."

So the appeal was denied.

I will look into alternate hosting options, but in the meantime, you have a couple days to access it before it is turned off. Thanks for the support so far!

I'll keep you posted on alternate viewing options.

@ApostleBob:
Although I have not been able to watch the Redux versions yet, having only peeked inside the first episode, I want to commend you for this great effort to the entire Berserk community :ubik: I'm sure you have made thousands of fans very happy! (happiness being a rare commodity in the Berserk uni- and fanverse)
I suppose there isn't any other option to view the fanedit online just yet, but I will keep a close eye on this thread for any news.

Special thanks to Grail for making this awesome picture for me as part of the patreon project! It's just amazing! Making it the main image for the Redux thread.

6PGKCkL.png

Top Bottom