How do you read Berserk?

Alucard12

Twas the night before Jewmas
How do you like to read Berserk, meaning, do you listen to music, do you prefer to read it at a certain time or do you just read it when you feel like it.

For me, I like to read it while I am listening to music, specifically Disturbed.

what about you, any preferences?

Sammoniac

You taffers!
I once had a power shortage and I had to get some entertainement, so I started reading Berserk by candlelight. I was at the middle of volume 2 then, and it was so atmospheric and perfect. I almost feel like buying a bunch of candles and read the whole series this way :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Alucard12 said:
How do you like to read Berserk, meaning, do you listen to music, do you prefer to read it at a certain time or do you just read it when you feel like it.
I don't always do it, but I do like to listen to music while reading Berserk. But it absolutely can't have lyrics. Instrumental stuff, sometimes electronic stuff, and Hirasawa Susumu's Berserk material works well enough, of course.

I remember there was one track I was listening to by Mono when Episode 303 landed (Ganishka's origin + SK/Femto) and it was timed perfectly to what was happening on the page. Pretty cool.

Sammoniac said:
I once had a power shortage and I had to get some entertainement, so I started reading Berserk by candlelight. I was at the middle of volume 2 then, and it was so atmospheric and perfect. I almost feel like buying a bunch of candles and read the whole series this way :ganishka:
That is really awesome, I should try that :guts:

Antonius Block

We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god.
I always like to have some background music going when I read Berserk. Mostly ambient tunes and some dub techno works nice (see Basic Channel or Deadbeat). My favorite artist to listen to though is Burial (UK Dubstep), don't think all that wonky dubstep... It is nice and dark, haunting rather... If you want something atmospheric to go along with your reading experience just about anything by Burial will work nicely. :femto:

I absolutely have to listen to Nirvana when I read Berserk, particularly their album Nevermind (Come as You Are mostly). When I first discovered Berserk I just always had that album playing in the background, and I found that the dark nasty grunge fit in very well with Berserk's darkness. Basically I try to replicate the feelings I felt my first time reading the series, but I'm open to some new suggestions if anyone has some!

EDIT: After thinking about it for a while I think the music I choose while reading Berserk is pretty bad... I think overall a tranquil, surreal type category of music fits the manga better, so if anyone has suggestions I'd really like to hear.

Blumenkranz

Ist der Blumengarten echt oder falsch?
I read like I would any other manga. Sometimes I listen to music, sometimes I just read.

Yeah, it has to be Hirasawa. For me, his soundtrack for the TV show is more or less synonymous with the entire series now. Hirasawa's surreal, ineffable style of music uniquely resonates with my reading of BERSERK and isn't purely limited to his work on the anime either.

I read it in my room in my house, on hill surrounded by woods in the dusk/night time. With just the lamp on. Usually the tree branches brushing against the window, toasty room due to warm radiators in winter time. I imagine I am in those woods from volumes 8-12. Legend.

^
I can see how some volume 13 content might be convenient if you´re constapated.

Last time I read a bit of Berserk it was totally unplanned like most of the time. I was just gonna check some minor technicality in some of the newer volumes but ended up stuck in Fantasia, uncomfortably standing in front of my collection shelf like an idiot developing neck aches.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hanma_Baki said:
Last time I read a bit of Berserk it was totally unplanned like most of the time. I was just gonna check some minor technicality in some of the newer volumes but ended up stuck in Fantasia, uncomfortably standing in front of my collection shelf like an idiot developing neck aches.
:ganishka: I do this all the time with both Berserk and Vagabond.

I know right :iva: Unfortunately the small space of my current flat only allows me to display a fraction of my book collection, but I suspect once I´ve moved and gotten all the stuff organized I´ll do this with pretty much all my comics/manga, and probably on a daily basis at that.

Berserk always got a VIP (VIB?) section though, no matter what :puck:

As I have been for quite sometime, with Susumu Hirasawa's music blaring in the background to add the atmosphere. Sometimes I usually pick certain songs by him to go along with certain parts of the story so that it matches a little with what is going on.

I've got all the volumes on a shelf right next to my bed.. so I just lie down, and read. Put all the pillows under my back. Awesome. Gonna try reading by candlelight, that sounded awesome :isidro:

I probably listened to INDRA on repeat through out more than half of the Berserk series while reading it and a mix of other tracks from Dreamcast game, the Golden Age Arc movie OST's / 97' Anime. Usually I don't really like listening to music with lyrics in it while reading the manga but some music can be an exception. I found myself listening to Opeth and Katatonia from time to time even some music from the Dante's Inferno game.

I'd also like to recommend this soundtrack while reading: https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Doyle_W_Donehoo_The_Wages_of_Treason?id=Be5osqbouqevtfnplqfeh26wgaa

If you guys have Spotify it's definitely worth checking out.

B

bakabanana

As for music, if you ask me these two albums go amazingly well with Berserk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMpbiwN9wlI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyORieDhpkg

Very dark, very mysterious.
I like that it's rather athmospheric and not too obtrusive.

I love listening to music (like the Beherit track from the anime) while I re-read episodes but I need absolute silence on first reading of a new one.^^ I am so darned focused and tense when a new episode releases that I constantly worry that I overlook some important lines of dialogue. :farnese:

So music yes for re-reading favorite parts (oh, how many times have I read the first Berserker armor scenes or all of the scenes with :beast:) but for first read: Phone on mute. Everybody in my household has to keep quiet. Me is reading Berserk. :femto:

I always keep my volumes together on a shelf nearby my bed for a good bedtime read whenever I feel like it. I even went an entire weekend doing nothing but reading through my Berserk collection. Picking up on those fine details that you didn't notice before is always a great joy as a fan. The amount of details is still staggering to me and the story just gets better and better - Miura just has a way of putting all of his story arcs that neatly fit together so coherently. I just love seeing the foreshadowing to later events since it is such a "man, this guy had it all planned out all of those years ago" sense to it all that is so satisfying.

I also like to generaly read Berserk with some music in the background on a quiet day, without any interruptions.

CheAkiwara

大天使 ~ ボイド
I read Berserk while sitting on a deck chair in my garden , listening to stuff from Onra. Though chilled music isnt quite appropiate for Berserk. ^^

Still , my first read through of Berserk was on the Internet. Gotta switch to buying the English Volumes , but they are so expensive in Germany D;

Top Bottom