Anyone ever have issues with AOW statues and US Customs?

Antonius Block

We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god.
Hello All. I searched through the forums to see if there was ever a topic on this subject and I couldn't find a thing. So I am hoping this is not a repeat...

Anyway, has anyone in the US ever had any issues with Customs and their AOW statue? For example, has it ever been seized or take a ridiculously long time to clear?

Also, I saw a post where someone paid $230.00 for a customs fee, this sounds downright criminal. Could any of you let me know what type of fee you paid in relation to the cost of the statue, if you had to pay a fee.

I always have to pay Customs fees when it comes to AoW statues. not once have I not done it, so whenever i'm buying from AoW I need to consider that. The smallest amount i've paid is 150$ in customs fees.

I've purchased statues/figures from Japan in ridiculous amounts that I never want to total up....I have never been charged 1 cent for US customs as there is no duty for these types of goods. If you do get charged duties/taxes, you can always look it up on the harmonized tariff schedule and show it to customs to correct them....but I have never had to do so. Always with full declaration as well on the customs paperwork. (Usually statues/figures/toys without battery)

Antonius Block

We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god.
Liad said:
I always have to pay Customs fees when it comes to AoW statues. not once have I not done it, so whenever i'm buying from AoW I need to consider that. The smallest amount i've paid is 150$ in customs fees.

I appreciate the info. I wonder what US Customs is classifying these statues under in their Harmonized Tariff Schedule? To my understanding the fees are not based on the value of the item alone, it depends on the classification of the item in their system. I swear... This government never ceases to amaze me when it comes to getting theirs... Thanks Again!

sensui said:
I've purchased statues/figures from Japan in ridiculous amounts that I never want to total up....I have never been charged 1 cent for US customs as there is no duty for these types of goods. If you do get charged duties/taxes, you can always look it up on the harmonized tariff schedule and show it to customs to correct them....but I have never had to do so. Always with full declaration as well on the customs paperwork. (Usually statues/figures/toys without battery)

Should have read this response before posting the above statement... Now I feel like a dum-dum :sad:

Based on my research of the HTS, aka, 'The Handbook For The Recently Deceased' I figured that the classification would exempt the statues from any duties. This is good info to know Sensui, I really appreciate it. I can't imagine what a fight with the CBP over fees will go like, but it is worth it in the long run, just hope I never have to do it...

Top Bottom