World Cup 2014 Brazil

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I know there are some soccer fans here. I have always watched it since 94 . So I'm excited to see this coming World Cup this summer.

http://touch.fifa.com/worldcup/index.html

Groups here :

Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon

Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia

Group C: Colombia, Greece, Côte d’Ivoire, Japan

Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras

Group F: Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria

Group G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA

Group H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia, Korea Republic

Johnstantine said:
As much as I love America, Brazil or Germany are taking it.

I hope it's Germany

I hope Germany wins it too. Actually, I just hope they get to the final this time. I'm tired of seeing them win the third place match. Of course, since I said that they'll probably lose the third place match this time.

I know either Spain, Greece, or Italy will win the cup. I say "I know" and not "I think" because of something I like to call the Mediterranean Curse. Ever since I became obsessed with soccer in 2004, a country on the Mediterranean has won the World Cup and the EUFA Euro championship every single time.

2004 Euro Champ: Greece.
2006 World Cup: Italy.
2008 Euro Champ: Spain.
2010 World Cup: Spain.
2012 Euro Champ: Spain.

I think I'll put my money on Spain. :ganishka:

Skeleton said:
Did anyone watch the game today? They didn't even make it one game in before there was a controversial ref call. :ganishka:

the ref was an complete retard
overall brazil was better but still croatia played well especially in the first half

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
First half was pretty good second-half wasn't that great. First game jitters I guess. They should put the one that officiated a final or a big tournament recently .

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Controversial is one way to put it. The disallowed croatia goal was controversial, the penalty was just atrocious. Brazil also got away with a number of important fouls. I wouldn't say Brazil played better, but they had a couple lucky breaks like Neymar's scuffed shot rolling in by some miracle, and then the rest was handed to them by the ref.

The scoreline in the spain v holland game was pretty astonishing as well. I've never seen spain lose like that, but they were comprehensively broken down on the break. My friend and I disagree about the first goal where in my opinion it was too soft and no a penalty, but what a goal by van persie to tie the game. I think Spain will bounce back despite the rough start though.

Pretty entertaining start the tournament and much like politics of the World Cup itself, full of controversy already.

Great win for the US. :)

I wonder if Portugal will remember they're Portugal before the next game or will we have a shot at beating them too.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Skeleton said:
Great win for the US. :)

I wonder if Portugal will remember they're Portugal before the next game or will we have a shot at beating them too.

Who knows. Spain lost it's first match and ended up champs last time. I hope they don't disappoint next game.

Last good team Brazil had was back in 2002. They're massive in terms of a fan base, passion and the legacy they've brought to the sport but the team right now is just not that good enough to win the cup. I'd compare this to the predicament Ferrari's F1 team has been in since their last win in 2008.

You know, I haven't paid much attention to France because of the fiasco during the last World Cup. It left a bad taste in my mouth so I wasn't expecting much. But they're playing like a well-oiled machine. This might be their year.

ETA: 5-0 with ~15 minutes left in the game. Mon Dieu!

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Skeleton said:
You know, I haven't paid much attention to France because of the fiasco during the last World Cup. It left a bad taste in my mouth so I wasn't expecting much. But they're playing like a well-oiled machine. This might be their year.

ETA: 5-0 with ~15 minutes left in the game. Mon Dieu!
Another 5 goals for a game . They sure secured a place for the next round . Italy's loss was a big news for me. I thought they could win against Costa Rica .

Costa Rica was an big surprise, they got through an group which had 3 world cup winner's

France is playing like a boss, the chemistry of the team is fantastic and they are plaing like machines
first they beat Honduras with 3 goals and now Swiss with 5 goals

I agree with you guys. That Costa Rica-Italy game was quite the surprise. Costa Rica is looking like the real deal this year.

Did you guys catch the Germany-Ghana game? Ugh. I hope the way they played yesterday was a one time lull and not a preview of things to come. Despite Germany's overall lackluster game I thought Klose's goal was pure magic. He came into the game. I said aloud," Man, I hope he ties the record." And literally right after I finished my sentence he scored, tying the record.

On the other side of the coin I admired Ghana's passion. When Ghana scored they were screaming and trying to get each other fired up. I really liked that.

ETA: The USA played a great game. Ronaldo just had to rain on our parade though. Here's hoping Germany and our team give each other a wink and a nod, the game conveniently ending in a draw.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I was on the road and couldn't watch the game today, but I did get to see the highlights and it looked like a hell of a game, right down to the last minutes. This is really coming down to the wire whether we'll get out or not. Pretty exciting stuff. It's great to see the US doing well (for our standards, I guess). I've been proud of our team these last two Cups.

Update: Really upset Italy didn't advance, but I don't know if I would have been completely happy had they managed to maintain a draw. Their performance was seemingly devolving into old guard Italy what with taking dives to waste time.

However, the biggest controversy of the game: Is Luis Suarez a biter?? Sure looks like it, and it's a real bitch move. Apparently this isn't a unique occurrence either. The act really taints the "triumphant" win Uruguay pulled off.

Delta Phi said:
However, the biggest controversy of the game: Is Luis Suarez a biter?? Sure looks like it, and it's a real bitch move. Apparently this isn't a unique occurrence either. The act really taints the "triumphant" win Uruguay pulled off.

Agreed. It completely ruined Uruguay's otherwise great win in my eyes. "Breaking news" on ESPN is that FIFA has officially announced an investigation into the incident. The evidence is pretty damning. And there's no way they can ignore his biting incidences in the past. I predict FIFA shows his ass the business end of their boot. I want to say I can't see them banning him for the rest of the tournament though, but considering they're playing Costa Rica after Colombia, a two game ban will probably be the same as banning him for the rest of the tournament. :ganishka:

And how about Greece slipping through the back door in the eleventh hour. Don't sleep on Greece! :serpico:

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Really glad the US is going to the bracket, though I'm not sure how they'll stack up against Belgium.

In other news, Suarez has been banned for 4 months from entering any stadium, and he's been fined $66,000.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/26/world-cup-luis-suarez-ban-biting-uruguay

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
It's a surprise to see 3 of the 4 concafaf teams to make it through . On paper I don't see Mexico beating the Netherlands , but there have been surprises on this WC.

TheBranded1 said:
On paper I don't see Mexico beating the Netherlands , but there have been surprises on this WC.

No surprise in the end. :judo: Another exit in the round of sixteen after being so close... what a shame.

I've never liked Robben and I like him even less after today. Such a diver. And he wonders why referees don't give him the calls.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Tim Howard is my hero. What a rock star beast machine. Unfortunately he couldn't stop all the goals. US had a really great rally though! One of the most exciting US games I've seen, too bad we couldn't take it into a PK shoot out. Pretty good Cup all around for us, but I think I'm done until the Final. All my teams are gone. :judo:

_75984512_tim_howard_president_1f.png

Howard was an absolute beast. I just wish the other players had a fraction of his heart. We might've won then.

My hat's off to Belgium though. They were clearly the better team and deserved to win.

Two of the "big three" teams I cheer for in the World Cup are out. All my hopes and dreams rest on the shoulders of the Germans now. (Although I think they're going to get beat by France, to be perfectly honest.)

Top Bottom