Stoker
Blue Jasmine
Blue Is The Warmest Color
Le Passe
Sightseers
Frances Ha
The Wind Rises
John Dies In The End
I wanna add The Broken Circle Breakdown but it came out last year even though it hit theaters this year : / ... same with Mud too (I think?)

Movies I still gotta see - 12 Years A Slave, Her, Nebraska, The Selfish Giant, The Act Of Killing, Philomena, The Wolf Of Wall Street, Sweet Dreams, 47 Ronin :rakshas:, Not Yet Begun To Fight, Big Bad Wolves ... some more I think.

TV shows -

Breaking Bad takes the cake with their final season, hands down. Hannibal was very enjoyable cos of Mads (he's awesome). I'm in the middle of Broadchurch and it looks promising. Les Revenants was good overall with a weak middle. Mad Men was disappointing but at least Don got back to advertising and selling this season. Game of Thrones was good, not awesome. The Walking Dead was decent. I need to check out Masters of Sex, House Of Cards, Orange Is The New Black.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Haven't seen a whole lot this year, but Gravity and Man of Steel are in the top spots, followed by The World's End.

As far as TV shows go, obviously it would be Breaking Bad.

Man, 12 Years A Slave was depressing as hell (equally depressing as Jag-Ten or Broken Circle Breakdown) and will probably sweep the Oscars in those major categories. I've missed a lot of Euro and Asian cinema this year, sigh.

Any recommendations guys?

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
Man, 12 Years A Slave was depressing as hell (equally depressing as Jag-Ten or Broken Circle Breakdown) and will probably sweep the Oscars in those major categories. I've missed a lot of Euro and Asian cinema this year, sigh.

Any recommendations guys?

Rush. Really good movie.

Agreed, it's good. I should've listed it up. To be honest, I expected more from it ... lofty expectations haha but being a fan of F1 racing, I expected Howard to show more racing from that time and the danger/ thrill/ rush/ excitement of it vs a sort of a dumbed down version, failed to capture the excitement of F1 overall. I know of the history behind the legendary Lauda-Hunt rivalry-relationship. Both actors did a good job, in terms of the way they handled themselves in character and the social events were pretty accurately depicted thanks to Lauda's involvement in the movie. So a tad disappointed, none the less I think it's still very cool to see F1 racing get promoted on a platform that's not a Sports Channel. One of the best F1 movies to come out in recent years is Senna documentary. There's another movie that's either out or comes out soon called F1 that I believe shows the business side of the sport, politics and focuses on Bernie.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
IncantatioN said:
Good movies I can think of -

I didn't see too many films this year, but I loved Gravity and Blue Jasmine. I did see Nebraska, I really loved it, but that movie is pretty depressing.

Johnstantine said:
Rush. Really good movie.

Gonna have to disagree. I'm not a huge fan of Ron Howard and I generally just blow off his movies as critic/award-bate, but I really hated Rush. It just embodied the worst qualities from all his movies.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I didn't see too many films this year, but I loved Gravity and Blue Jasmine. I did see Nebraska, I really loved it, but that movie is pretty depressing.

Thanks for the recco, it's on my movies to check out and I'm close to being done. I watched Her on Saturday, pretty good, real good script. Playing catch-up blows cos I hear about how good this or that movie is and then go in with high expectations vs a blank slate. I prefer to watch em sort of blind.

Did you guys watch the Golden Globes last night? Some swearing and a weird speech. My predictions sucked for some categories like I expected Chiwetel to win Best Actor in a Drama, Streep to win over Adams for Best Actress, Fassbender to win over Leto and Nyong'o to win over Lawrence for Best Supporting Actor and Actress respectively.

Top Bottom