New Guts Statue - Independent sculptor - opinion needed.

Hi Guys,
I was approached by a Brazilian collector,
He has a really nice sculptor thinking about taking a comission for a new Guts Statue.
We need your help to decide.

I suggested a 1/6 or 1/8 scale statue, in the Berseker Armor.

What would you like? Black Swordsman or Berserker armor?

We need input on the poses, proportions etc.

For inspiration I suggested the 20th anniversary Berserker Armor (AoW) , and Headlong 1/8 Berserker Armor ( the one crouching on the cliff)

I think this is a great opportunity to get a sculptor and the community involved in making something unique.

My personal main concerns are :
a)If size is too big, it would be expensive,and also would not match the rest of most people's collections. For that I preffer 1/6 or 1/8
b) Pose - Needs to be a good Berserker armor pose. There are enough versions of it just standing there doing nothing ;)
c ) Proportions - Must follow the manga design
d) Extra heads would be a nice extra ( guts' face, berseker armor hound mode, and controlled state , for example)
e ) Base - Nothing too fancy

They said that they'll need our input to take on this project.
They also mentioned that we could pay in installments.

Personally I would also like if it there was an option to get the statue unpainted. At least the option.

We've all been complaining about AoW's prices and lack of commitment to the fan base.

Here were suggestions for the proportions/pose , but its up to the community to vote ;)

171148.jpg

_DSC0863.jpg

Some of his previous works -

http://www.estatuaslimitededition.com/t15100p25-escultura-lanterna-verde-1-4-scale-gabriel-luna?highlight=gabriel+luna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvYdkyabORw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkT_t30DgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq6Z_p8fZYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPCVIPIGxXM

There have been a fair amount of Guts statues wearing the armor.

Maybe you could ask him/ them check the suggestions here for kit/ statue ideas here --> http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=13858.0

Those marvel heroes look good :isidro:

I think 1/6 scale statues are the way too go. But if 1/8 statues are significantly cheaper then maybe that will have to do. For idea's I was wanting a armored guts one. Since I'm kind of new I have missed all my chances on the headlong kits and the other berserker armor ones. But maybe the statue design should be something involving 2 people if its a 1/8

Here's some good scenes and idea's

1) when Griffith and guts duel in the snow when he leave the band of the hawk ^^
Well that's all I can think of actually ATM. I'm half asleep replying :p

But I think bigger the better as Long as its not like aow prices ($1000 plus)

Great ideas! Even though I'm reaching the space limit in the house I'm still very interested to see how this project is going. I personally think 1/6 should be a great scale and nothing should exceed 500$ all inclusive.

Btw 20th anni is NOT 1/6. It is indeed something like 1/5. 20th is significantly larger than guts 1/6 2010.

New. Poses please. And please nothing guts standing please. We wanna see berserk armor in action! :beast:

bains1989 said:
For idea's I was wanting a armored guts one.

andrewdsz said:
New. Poses please. And please nothing guts standing please. We wanna see berserk armor in action! :beast:

It's sad that most would rather have another Guts in his armor than see other characters given this opportunity. Haven't we had a lot of Guts in his armor already? Here's a list of statues where he isn't just standing doing nothing, as pointed out -

Berserk Tentacle Ship
20th Anniversary
1/6 Guts
Armored Berserk (that came with Fire Dragon)
Guts (with Darka)
Armored Berserk (bust up)
Guts Berserker (with Crocodile base)
Armored Berserk Exclusive

And that's just Guts wearing the armor for statues AOW has put out, there are more of him in kits too PLUS there are other Guts statues/ kits where he isn't wearing the armor. It would be cool to see the rest of his crew or the new Band Of The Hawk or just other characters that isn't a Guts or Zodd or Skull Knight or Griffith.

Speaking of other characters, I really likes to see more Casca latest cape form in good poses, more enemy in apostle forms, zodd with two horns and wings action, more Griffith statues actually fighting, more femto statues in action.

The deal about armored berserk is that, as its been mentioned here, most people today have a hard time getting it, plus it can be a tad expensive. Newer collectors have missed the best ones, and sure there are plenty of versions, but sometimes a different sculpt/ pose can make all the difference (Plus most of the statues mentioned were very limited, and not everyone can get one these days).

Making guts now doesn't preclude him from making other projects later on. I think for now we should negotiate/bargain to get enough people in it, to make it in a scale /set-up that is affordable and fair.

But sure, he could make other characters later on. The Guts project is a test, if it works out, I'm sure we can ask for Caska (post eclipse, for example), other apostles, band of the hawk members, Farnese, Serpico, Shierke, etc.

That's a very interesting idea. I personally think that the market is oversaturated when it comes to berserker armor Guts. It's definitely a cool figure, but there's usually nothing but it. If I were to commission a piece, I'd probably go for more of a diorama or various scenes from the manga with more subtlety to it (Much like Hundred-man slayer Guts).

If I were to boil it down to a very simple request of anything Berserk, I'd say a perfect Human Zodd. For me, there is not a single Human Zodd statue out there that is worth owning.

As for Berserker Armor Guts, I'd love to see some of the more grim aspects explored, not just the badass ones. Like the first time he fights Grunbeld:
Berserkguts.png

When it comes to the Berserk Armour, you can't really showcase some awesome moments without making it a diorama that involves one or more enemies. There are very few stoic poses for the Berserk Armor, since he's not of sound mind when using it.

Just speaking generally, there is one or two moments I'd love to have as statues, at almost any cost. One of them is the Credits page that Evil Genius has been using for a while, where the original Band is gathered around the fireplace, and Griffith plays an instrument, while Guts is relaxing in a tree.

This is the other one:
Berserkguts2.png

Overall I think this is a great initiative, and i'm sorry for the rant :p

Just an idea, what about guts in the berserker armor as in bains1989 avatar?
Wearing the armor, but with his arm and bandages, and the hand canon showing ( without the helmet, worn face, white hair)
Maybe we could have alternate head with the helmet, and also an alternate arm shooting the cannon ?

Guts27.jpg

I agree with what some said here, that there aren't that many poses for the Berserker armor. But also we don't have him wearing it without it "activated" , arms showing, face uncovered , knives hanging, pouches etc.

I like Laid's ideas. Maybe Guts in the armor biting off a slug's eyeball.

Sankari said:
Just an idea, what about guts in the berserker armor as in bains1989 avatar?
Wearing the armor, but with his arm and bandages, and the hand canon showing ( without the helmet, worn face, white hair)
Maybe we could have alternate head with the helmet, and also an alternate arm shooting the cannon ?

Guts27.jpg

It's already done by AOW with a bad face -

OP21144298038_2.jpg

By the way, if it comes down to a decision on an Armored Berserk sort of pose, there are 3 things in the market with the same pose - AOW's Tentacle Ship, AOW's Armored Berserk and Headlong's kit. It would be a waste of an opportunity, if you asked me.

A cool scene would be after the eclipse when guts wakes up with bandages everywere and finds out about casca then leaves and has to fight all the demons outside all night.

Or! Blacksmith Goodo forging the dragonslayer! OOOOO :guts:

bains1989 said:
Or! Blacksmith Goodo forging the dragonslayer! OOOOO :guts:

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!!! I second this!!! :ubik:

As for the OP, thanks Sankari for putting together something like this. I'm happy to be a part of it, and if it looks good, you can count me in for a preorder.

Like Incantation, I would prefer a non-Berserker statue... but I hear what you are saying when there is no reason to stop only after 1 commission. I'd have to flip through the manga to find a particular Guts pose, but nothing really inspirational comes to mind right now. Maybe a statue mid-transformation? That could be pretty cool (and bloody!)

DirectDK said:
THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!!! I second this!!! :ubik:

As for the OP, thanks Sankari for putting together something like this. I'm happy to be a part of it, and if it looks good, you can count me in for a preorder.

Like Incantation, I would prefer a non-Berserker statue... but I hear what you are saying when there is no reason to stop only after 1 commission. I'd have to flip through the manga to find a particular Guts pose, but nothing really inspirational comes to mind right now. Maybe a statue mid-transformation? That could be pretty cool (and bloody!)

Right now we're still negotiating prices and scales with the sculptor.
What has been hinted thus far was a transformation pose, the berserker armor starting to take over a tired Guts.

The people who first started this "project" wanted a new Guts statue, so thats why I'm saying - next time we can order another character. There is no rush. I'm just waiting to see what comes out of the negotiations.

We´ve given some reference images of Guts wearing the berserker armor whilst its not still in full "power mode" as when he is walking by the beach with Schierke . We are also discussing the possibility of having an extra head and arms.

For now, it looks like it will be a 1/6 scale statue.

Once there are any news, I'll come here to share. I'll let you know what the sculptor tells us .

Ps : I told him that if this all works out, we, from the forum, would be interested in getting other characters ...

Wow this project sounds awesome! Thanks for doing this! Im all in!

Liad said:
As for Berserker Armor Guts, I'd love to see some of the more grim aspects explored, not just the badass ones.
Totally agree there, moments that represent just that are what I want most too.

Liad said:
[Second image]

One of the best suggestions I´ve seen this far man, good one!

IncantatioN said:
Maybe Guts in the armor biting off a slug's eyeball.
This one too :guts:

It's already done by AOW with a bad face -
Yeah and that choise of legs posture is kinda messed up too, looks like he´s taking a shit. If memory serves I think I saw an independent project somewhere who got the legs just right for this pose.

Hey, imagine big scale busts of these two beside eachother :carcus:

2452303-01_cropped.jpg
9781593079239.jpg

Yeah yeah I know theres a quite a big leap in the art style there but it´d be epic nevertheless, I think. Btw Miura´s gotta have done volume 27 cover as kind of a nod to volume 1, right?

Hi everyone. The sculptor was busy finishing some 1/4 statues of green lantern and other DC characters, but now he's finally started working on our piece .

He sent me a few initial sketches. He doesn't really know the series, and also , he said that there have been too many different styles for Gut's face.

We discussed with the other people involved , and we reached a consensus that we wanted a statue with 2 heads.
The first head is
berserk-guts_426338.jpg

The second one will be a action face, with the regular spiked hair.

The sculptor has been extremely nice and open to critique / suggestions .
Tonight he'll call me again so we can discuss a few other options.

We are also deciding whether to use real cloth for the cape, or to sculpt one. (I'd favour mixed media, but other people want it sculpted)

He said that after this particular project, and based on the feedback he gets, he`d be open to take more requests from forum members, to make different characters.

I have to say, please sculpt the cape. The cape is part of what makes Guts' swordsmanship/fighting style stand out, and most panels look stunning because of how the cape is drawn. It makes the sculpt visually busy, without looking overburdened with details. Having the cape just hang flat would make him look like a superhero (he's not), and filling it with wires would look awkward. Sculpting a cape freely flowing in the wind while he swings the DS always looks great, and adds to the atmosphere.

Mixed Media cheapens the statue imo, unless you get the correct materials. Considering that this is a period piece, the sculptor most likely won't get the correct materials.

Sankari said:
What has been hinted thus far was a transformation pose, the berserker armor starting to take over a tired Guts.

Is this still on or there's a different pose (since you mention two heads)? There might be other panels with Guts' face if you have opted for a transformation pose.

Top Bottom