Slan Birth as A God Hand

First of all Hi everyone, this will be my first topic and i expect that you guys like it

I was doing some research about Y's, because of Roderick nationality and because I've already heard that name a lot of times and didn't know from where it came.

So after i read the wikipedia article(If you guys wanna see it too just google Y's,I'm not sure if i can post links on the forum)i have to say that i got pretty surprised cause the story has so much to do with Slan personality that I'm almost sure that Slan sidestory will have something to do with Y's.

Okay now with the story

The legend says that Y's was built below the sea level by King Gradlon upon the request of his daughter Dahut who loved the sea (Until now it's okay)

Y's was known to be the most beautiful and impressive city in Europe but quickly fell in disgrace and became a city of sin under Dahut's influence. She organized orgies and liked to kill her lovers in the morning.(Okay now things are becoming Slan like)

One day, a knight dressed in red came to Y's. Dahut asked him to come with her, and one night, he agreed.A storm broke out in the middle of the night and the waves could be heard smashing against the gate and the bronze walls.The Red knight wake up with the storm, Dahut tried to calm him down, saying' that the city gates are strong and only her father the king owns the key".The knight somehow persuade her to get the keys and open the gates, and she do it. (Now about this part I don't know who may be the knight in the berserk series so I'll let to you guys speculate)

Because the gate was open during storm and at high tide, a wave as high as a mountain collapsed on Y's. King Gradlon and his daughter climbed on Morvarc'h, his magical horse. Saint Winwaloe approached them and told Gradlon: "Push back the demon sitting behind you!" Gradlon initially refused, but he finally gave in and pushed his daughter into the sea. The sea swallowed Dahut, who became a mermaid or morgen.( Okay now if this story would be used in manga this I'll be the part where Slan :slan: lost her dream and decide to sacrifice everything in the eclipse)

Y's seen to be the only tip that Miura has given to us about Slan past, it even assimilate with the name that skull knight gave her( something about orgasm princess, don't remember right)

Okay guys this the end,expect that you guys liked it

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome!

Odinistkrieg said:
Y's seen to be the only tip that Miura has given to us about Slan past,
Or he's just borrowing the name alone. Miura often takes names from places or people and repurposes them. I certainly don't see anything here to convince me there's more to it than that, just yet.

it even assimilate with the name that skull knight gave her( something about orgasm princess, don't remember right)
He called her Harawada no Shouki, a made-up term that loosely translated as prostitute of the uterine sea, but it's also a play on words that means prostitute of intestines. So... not seeing a connection at all.

I don't know man Miura may do drastically changes in the story to adapt it to the series, but I have a feeling that somehow Slan sidestory will have at least a relation with Ys since Miura also like to use things from the real world as a complement like the one hundred years war

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Odinistkrieg said:
First of all Hi everyone, this will be my first topic and i expect that you guys like it

Hi and welcome.

Odinistkrieg said:
I was doing some research about Y's, because of Roderick nationality and because I've already heard that name a lot of times and didn't know from where it came.

So after i read the wikipedia article(If you guys wanna see it too just google Y's,I'm not sure if i can post links on the forum)i have to say that i got pretty surprised cause the story has so much to do with Slan personality that I'm almost sure that Slan sidestory will have something to do with Y's.

One thing you should know and that Wikipedia may not mention is that the legend of Ys (without an apostrophe) is Celtic in origin. It comes from Brittany, a region of France. Anyway, it might be good to keep in mind that this story has a lot of variations. There's no canon to the original myth anymore, mostly because the Celts transmitted their culture orally and therefore no writings remain. The version of the story to which you refer is quite "recent" (early twentieth century) and not particularly relevant historically, as for example the earliest recorded version of the tale did not even contain the character of Dahud. Furthermore, the tale is mostly an amalgamation of the myth of the sunken island/city (like Atlantis) and the typical tale of the Christian God punishing the old pagan gods and their followers. In that regard it's quite probable that an older myth was modified to accommodate a Christian moral.

So to cut it short, while that doesn't disprove the idea that Miura may eventually decide to base Slan's past on that island, it's not like there's a particularly strong case for it either in my opinion. Furthermore, in the story, Ys is a sunken city. And Slan has been a member of the God Hand for a couple centuries at the very least. So if what you speculate were true, the fact the island is still around, and not just that but prosperous (and associated to the Holy See) contradicts that idea. Lastly, the little of Ys we know from Roderick does not resemble the myth at all.

Odinistkrieg said:
Miura also like to use things from the real world as a complement like the one hundred years war

And yet that Hundred Years' War had no Du Guesclin, no Black Prince, no Joan of Arc... And so on. Which is precisely what Walter was pointing out.

Aazealh said:
Hi and welcome.

One thing you should know, that Wikipedia may not mention, is that the legend of Ys (without an apostrophe) is Celtic in origin. It comes from Brittany, a region of France. Anyway, it might be good to keep in mind is that this story has a lot of variations. There's no canon to the original myth anymore, mostly because the Celts transmitted their culture orally and therefore no writings remain. The version of the story to which you refer is quite "recent" (early twentieth century) and not particularly relevant historically, as for example the earliest version of the tale did not even contain the character of Dahud. Furthermore, the tale is mostly an amalgamation of the myth of the sunken island/city (like Atlantis) and the typical tale of the Christian God punishing the old pagan gods and their followers.

So to cut it short, while that doesn't disprove the idea that Miura may eventually decide to base Slan's past on that island, it's not like there's a particularly strong case for it either in my opinion. Furthermore, in the story, Ys is a sunken city. And Slan has been a member of the God Hand for a couple centuries at the very least. So if what you speculate were true, the fact the island is still around, and not just that but prosperous (and associated to the Holy See) contradicts that idea. Lastly, the little of Ys we know from Roderick does not resemble the myth at all.

And yet that Hundred Years' War had no Du Guesclin, no Black Prince, no Joan of Arc... And so on. Which is precisely what Walter was pointing out.

Yeah man I've researched and you are right, Ys tale has many variations, now about Ys being prosperous , I think that if he use this version of the story, he may change things like Ys being sunk or destroyed (don't know how he will).
Anyway it's just a speculation we don't have any information about :slan: and the GH in general so meanwhile that's all we can do

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Odinistkrieg said:
Anyway it's just a speculation we don't have any information about :slan: and the GH in general so meanwhile that's all we can do

Well sure, we have little information about the God Hand. All I'm saying is that we do have some information about the nation of Ys in Berserk, and that if anything it's more reminiscent of England to me than of the legendary city it got its name from. Much like how Albion in Berserk has absolutely nothing to do with Great Britain.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
we do have some information about the nation of Ys in Berserk

just to be sure I understand what is discussed here. When you talk about Ys, do you mean Iith the nation of Roderick or Iith his a bad translation? Or am I way of the boat here..

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
just to be sure I understand what is discussed here. When you talk about Ys, do you mean Iith the nation of Roderick or Iith his a bad translation?

Yeah that's what we're talking about. "Iith" is indeed a bad transliteration.

jackson_hurley

Damn it! I'm getting sick of these bad translation. At least now I know how to pronounce it.And once again my thanks to you Aaz, the living reference for Berserkien question!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Damn it! I'm getting sick of these bad translation. At least now I know how to pronounce it.And once again my thanks to you Aaz, the living reference for Berserkien question!
I was really surprised to see DH choose to translate it as "Iith," which isn't something that has any correlation to anything at all, versus "Ys," something that does coorelate to something... For reference, in Japanese it's written as イース, which sounds like: EE-SU ( EE-S, when you drop the ending vowel).

Walter said:
I was really surprised to see DH choose to translate it as "Iith," which isn't something that has any correlation to anything at all, versus "Ys," something that does coorelate to something... For reference, in Japanese it's written as イース, which sounds like: EE-SU ( EE-S, when you drop the ending vowel).

What makes it even worse is how at an initial glance, it also appears to the eyes as "lith" as in "lithium"
gutsbarf.gif

Alucroas

Abomination
I've always been of the suspicion that Slan was the woman who attended to the sick and dying in the tale Mozgus told Farnese in order to calm her.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Alucroas said:
I've always been of the suspicion that Slan was the woman who attended to the sick and dying in the tale Mozgus told Farnese in order to calm her.

I think that thought crossed most people's mind at the time, though there's no real ground for it.

jackson_hurley

Aazealh said:
I think that thought crossed most people's mind at the time, though there's no real ground for it.

Actually that one never came to mind to me. I don't really think it fits her profile versus the "sex goddess" if I can say that for a lack of better words.

Though we pretty much know where SK comes from and a little bit of who he was, even outside of slan, I'm surprised at this point in the story he hasn't broke out some history of each godhand member. It's very possible he never will outside of Void, but maybe he's saving it for the last bit of the saga.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
bandofthehawk said:
Though we pretty much know where SK comes from and a little bit of who he was, even outside of slan, I'm surprised at this point in the story he hasn't broke out some history of each godhand member. It's very possible he never will outside of Void, but maybe he's saving it for the last bit of the saga.
I don't know... Having a full history on them at this stage seems early, to me. A few hints would be nice, but Miura has said that we'll hear more about them soon (this was back in 2012).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
bandofthehawk said:
Did not hear that interview.
It was said during a live interview at the premiere event of the first Golden Age movie. I took notes on it as it was airing, and here's when we first learned about it: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=12735.msg205834#msg205834

Alucroas

Abomination
Aazealh said:

I believe Miura doesn't intend to tell the stories of each individual God Hand outright as it adds more mystery to their identities.

However, the reason I think that woman is Slan is because of her nature as a sado-masochist. This woman spent much of her life tending to the sick and dying, and would therefore be seeing people in constant pain, misery, ontop of having to deliver the bad news to the families of those who finally succumbed to their illnesses. My theory is that when the man who rejected Slan's nursing (assuming it is Slan), it messed with her head. It went against all reason that a man would take pride in his ability to weather the poor state of his life, and to proclaim that mental fortitude of his is "proof of his existence" sounds similar to Guts who would rather fight against his fate than accept it and die. For Guts, his struggle is proof that he exists, combined with all the other things that motivate him to keep going. I think this is why Slan is so intrigued by him, because in a way, he mirrors what might have been the initiatory factor in leading her down the road to becoming a God Hand. That is to say I don't believe that single, solitary event triggered her Eclipse (the sacrificial offerings of whom could very well be all of the sick and dying people she was tending to), but that it would certainly have had something to do with serving as a potential catalyst.

jackson_hurley said:
Actually that one never came to mind to me. I don't really think it fits her profile versus the "sex goddess" if I can say that for a lack of better words.

She's a sado-masochist who takes pleasure both in human suffering as well as pleasure, especially if there are intense emotions present during an event. Slan doesn't hone in on one specific thing, she enjoys all of it, moreso if they are culminating together like what happened during Casca's rape scene.

Besides, isn't it fitting that a nurse of the clergy, most likely a virgin wound up becoming Slan of all things. The church is supposed to preach of all things pure and holy, and a sex goddess, a succubus is among the most physically and mentally impure things one could possibly imagine. It's not at-all a farcry to assume that this woman could possibly be Slan.

jackson_hurley

Alucroas said:
She's a sado-masochist who takes pleasure both in human suffering as well as pleasure, especially if there are intense emotions present during an event. Slan doesn't hone in on one specific thing, she enjoys all of it, moreso if they are culminating together like what happened during Casca's rape scene.

Besides, isn't it fitting that a nurse of the clergy, most likely a virgin wound up becoming Slan of all things. The church is supposed to preach of all things pure and holy, and a sex goddess, a succubus is among the most physically and mentally impure things one could possibly imagine. It's not at-all a farcry to assume that this woman could possibly be Slan.

i figured her more as some leader of a cult that got caught and near her execution with lots of people to watch her beherit activated and she sacrificed everyone there. But hey we don,t really have a lot of info on her anyway so who knows..

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Alucroas said:
I believe Miura doesn't intend to tell the stories of each individual God Hand outright as it adds more mystery to their identities.

I think he might. There's certainly precedent, since far less important characters like Ganishka and Rochine received really special backstory treatment. Why not the God Hand, then?

However, the reason I think that woman is Slan is because of her nature as a sado-masochist. This woman spent much of her life tending to the sick and dying, and would therefore be seeing people in constant pain, misery, ontop of having to deliver the bad news to the families of those who finally succumbed to their illnesses.

I see your reasoning, but it's still quite a stretch given that all we know about that character is that she's a nun. It borders on, "it's a woman and it's a conspicuous scene, so it must be Slan."

Top Bottom