Pippin's badassery!

This more a moan and gripe rather than asking a question.

While the story of Berserk is truly legendary. I come here moaning about Pippin awesomeness coming late into the golden age arc. While we do see him smash heads in the earlier volumes. It is not until Vol. 10 - 13 we see more of Pippins bad assery! He talks more and is there standing as a tag team with Guts against Wyald, which was just great! I just wish he said more in the earlier volumes and has more of a presence besides being the big lumbering silent type of the Band of the Hawk.

Although I know it is does to make his character un assuming and progress to his downfall and of course was in the flow of causality when be helped by Griffith notice the light shining in the catacombs escaping the Baki raka! in vol.10 .
That's what I loved he had more presence and was made worthy during those parts and during the Eclipse!

Again just a little moan but interesting to hear if anyone else shares this view?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I think it does what it's meant to. By that I mean that as you know, he was the silent type, not the kind to put himself front and center. Discreet, efficient, stalwart, faithful. Pippin is my favorite member of the Band of the Falcon outside of Guts and Casca because of what he embodied. As for not seeing enough of him, again, isn't that how it was supposed to be? He was lost during the Eclipse, as were the others, taken from us as much as they were taken from Guts.

K

krzykoopa

Aazealh said:
I think it does what it's meant to. By that I mean that as you know, he was the silent type, not the kind to put himself front and center. Discreet, efficient, stalwart, faithful. Pippin is my favorite member of the Band of the Falcon outside of Guts and Casca because of what he embodied. As for not seeing enough of him, again, isn't that how it was supposed to be? He was lost during the Eclipse, as were the others, taken from us as much as they were taken from Guts.

Hey Aazealh,

Just curious is the correct translation band of falcon? I have known it as band of the hawk.

As far as Pippin and his stoic nature anytime he does speak it adds so much it like DAM HE SAID SOMETHING.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
krzykoopa said:
Hey Aazealh,

Just curious is the correct translation band of falcon? I have known it as band of the hawk.
In Japanese, there's no distinction between Falcon and Hawk. They're both known as the kanji 鷹 (Taka). The reason Aazealh and I often use Falcon instead of Hawk is because of the way Miura spelled out F-A-L-C-O-N in the Millennium Falcon arc when the same kanji (鷹) is used in that title. Which implies that it's always been Falcon, not Hawk.

We asked Miura about his choice for the word in our interview, and his answer didn't dispel anything, because I guess I didn't make my intent clear. Here's that section from our 2009 Q&A with him:

puella said:
Q2: Regarding the kanji "Taka," do you intend that to be Falcon or Hawk? Was there ever a conscious change in its usage, such as after Griffith's reincarnation, or has it always been "falcon" to you?

“Falcon” or “Hawk”, both mean [鷹] in Japanese. In some dictionaries, “Falcon ” is translated as [隼(はやぶさ)] but there’s almost no difference. I used "Falcon" from the great name of the “Millennium Falcon" ship in Star Wars.

K

krzykoopa

Walter said:
In Japanese, there's no distinction between Falcon and Hawk. They're both known as the kanji 鷹 (Taka). The reason Aazealh and I often use Falcon instead of Hawk is because of the way Miura spelled out F-A-L-C-O-N in the Millennium Falcon arc when the same kanji (鷹) is used in that title. Which implies that it's always been Falcon, not Hawk.

We asked Miura about his choice for the word in our interview, and his answer didn't dispel anything, because I guess I didn't make my intent clear. Here's that section from our 2009 Q&A with him:

Walter,

Haha I must say that his answer does not dispel anything. Thank you for taking the time to answer I appreciate it.

-Coop

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That being said, it's worth pointing out that it's not just about the Millennium Falcon pun in reference to Star Wars. Griffith's capital city is called Falconia. I think at this point there's little doubt as to what the preferred nomenclature is supposed to be.

K

krzykoopa

Aazealh said:
That being said, it's worth pointing out that it's not just about the Millennium Falcon pun in reference to Star Wars. Griffith's capital city is called Falconia. I think at this point there's little doubt as to what the preferred nomenclature is supposed to be.

I thought about that with the falcon references. I also thought about if Griffith would be looked at differently like above a hawk a falcon as he is not on the same level as those who follow but above them but there was nothing to support that that I could find. Looking at the anime they translate both dub and sub as hawk, at that time did that have to go through Miura? In the end I am glad with the translation how loose he kept it for me It has been band of the hawk for over 7 years I would have a tough time switching.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
krzykoopa said:
Looking at the anime they translate both dub and sub as hawk, at that time did that have to go through Miura?
You mean the anime that starts with the line: "Things have been pretty bad since that Griffith guy became king." ?

For what it's worth, Dark Horse went through Hakusensha for particular names and were asked to use KNIGHT OF SKELETON instead of Skull Knight. Yeah. I don't mean to sound pompous, but I get the impression few people have given the localization as much thought as we have.

In the end I am glad with the translation how loose he kept it for me It has been band of the hawk for over 7 years I would have a tough time switching.
Well, it's never been spelled out as H-A-W-K anywhere in the manga, whereas it has for F-A-L-C-O-N. So does preference trump evidence, for you? It's embarrassing to reflect on now, but before it was explained to us, many people here called :guts: _Gatts_. We then adopted the correct name.

Aazealh said:
As for not seeing enough of him, again, isn't that how it was supposed to be? He was lost during the Eclipse, as were the others, taken from us as much as they were taken from Guts.

I know what your saying Aaz, but it would have been nice for Pippin to say look into the fire at camp one night in the Golden Age Arc and talk about his past life and battles and how he came to the Band.

To me it seems Pippin looks like he is from a nomadic Indian type tribe or clan! would have been awesome.

But Miuras the man and he has done a fine job to date!!!

Its nice in later Volumes to see Pippin in images and memories from the past. Ah Pippin!! :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Benin said:
I know what your saying Aaz, but it would have been nice for Pippin to say look into the fire at camp one night in the Golden Age Arc and talk about his past life and battles and how he came to the Band.

Hehe yeah, for sure. But that's also what I mean, that feeling of us wishing we had had more, it's part of the whole thing, you know? To me that bittersweet feeling about not having had enough strongly participates to the greatness of the character (and that goes for the others as well) and of that part of the story.

Benin said:
To me it seems Pippin looks like he is from a nomadic Indian type tribe or clan! would have been awesome.

Actually, Miura used his own face as the basis to draw the character's! As for the rest of the Band of the Falcon, he drew inspiration from his highschool friends.

Benin said:
Its nice in later Volumes to see Pippin in images and memories from the past. Ah Pippin!! :judo:

Hahaha yeah man I know the feeling. The one in volume 26 is quite powerful.

Aazealh said:
Actually, Miura used his own face as the basis to draw the character's! As for the rest of the Band of the Falcon, he drew inspiration from his highschool friends.

Hahaha yeah man I know the feeling. The one in volume 26 is quite powerful.

Really? That's actually fascinating. I hope some people who knew him from school and read Berserk took it as flattery except for the one inspired for Griffith :griffnotevil:

Volume 26 Pippin........... sigh :judo:

I agree not knowing enough about Pippin is great and annoying at the same time! Leaving you wanting more and more and your head imploding from your own imagination!
I am learning a lot here. Cheers Aaz and co. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Benin said:
Really? That's actually fascinating. I hope some people who knew him from school and read Berserk took it as flattery except for the one inspired for Griffith :griffnotevil:

Well that doesn't apply to Griffith of course, his character was not based on a real person.

Benin said:
I am learning a lot here. Cheers Aaz and co. :guts:

Glad to hear that! :serpico:

Aazealh said:
The one in volume 26 is quite powerful.

Trigun-Vash-Crying.png

I know I shouldn't reference wikis. According to the Berserk wikia :farnese: Pippin was a miner before the Hawks and I can't seem to remember that being mentioned at all in the manga?

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Yes it was, when they escape the fire from the bakiraka in the tunnel he explain that an incident similar to that happened before when he was working in a mine. (I think in vol 11 or something)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Yes it was, when they escape the fire from the bakiraka in the tunnel he explain that an incident similar to that happened before when he was working in a mine. (I think in vol 11 or something)

It's volume 10 (episode 58), but you're correct otherwise.

I think Pippin is fantastic! I really think he was under used at times and I definitely wanted to see more of him but like others have stated that kind of added to his mystique. But boy did he really shine when he was standing next to Guts fending of wyald and his black dogs. He was a powerhouse like Guts and that is something I found interesting. Like the scene where he goes to get Guts to the party and flings him over his shoulder and Guts elbows him (pretty damn hard) in the face. He barely reacted. :isidro: I always wondered how Guts would have fared against Pippin in a scuffle if he has taken offence. Would he have been able to kick Guts ass?

Also I have a question, was Pippin supposed to be black? I have seen some fans speculate that he was because of his coloring and his face features?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Heavenly Maiden said:
Also I have a question, was Pippin supposed to be black? I have seen some fans speculate that he was because of his coloring and his face features?

I would say no. His skin tone is about the same as the other "white" characters in the manga, and he has straight hair. He has a wide nose and thick lips, but that's about it.

I think Pippin is one of the unsung heroes of the Hawks. He does not stand out like Judo or Corkus but he has just as fascinating. It is a shame it is not until the right before he dies that we get so much back story on him. I cannot remember the specifics of what he did when the kushan assassins were attacking them in that tunnel but it was awesome and something related to his experience of being a miner. I really loved the glimpses of his past. And his death during the eclipse was something else. I can't decide whose death was more glorious, Pippin's or Judo's...

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Heavenly Maiden said:

I always thought that he looked like a native American, kind of like the guy in One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest. You know the silent, huge sturdy guy :iva: Pippin's got the "mohawk" hairstyle and facial features that some native Americans have where I live.

will_cuckoo2opt.jpg

Top Bottom