Guts and Godo, Band of the Hawk members

When and how did Guts meet Godo? I don't remember it being clarified or not, I'm guessing that they met through Godo making armor and weapons for various mercenary bands when Guts was a kid. They seemed to have an interesting relationship and I hope Miura goes more in-depth about it someday. I view Godo more than just "the guy Guts goes to so he can repair his gear" he almost seems like a father to Guts, giving him deep life advice and such. His sarcasm was funny and I wish we had more details about him. While I'm talking about Godo, why was he exiled for making the Dragonslayer? That didn't really make sense to me. King: "That sword is huge! Kill him!" what?

Secondly, I think after Berserk is finished, Miura should make some bonus material showing each of the original Band of the Hawk member's pasts. It would put even more character development into them and would give the series/golden age arc even more re-watch/re-read value than it already has, and make the Eclipse that much more tragic. For instance, seeing Corkus and his band of thieves would be cool. Just seeing how each member joined the Band of the Hawk would be nice. I guess this would apply to Godo as well.

Well, here's a schnoz :schnoz:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Brand of Sacrifice said:
When and how did Guts meet Godo? I don't remember it being clarified or not, I'm guessing that they met through Godo making armor and weapons for various mercenary bands when Guts was a kid. They seemed to have an interesting relationship and I hope Miura goes more in-depth about it someday.

Guts met Godot and Erica while traveling alone, after he left the Band of the Falcon. It's explained in the first episode of volume 10, Sparks. I don't think we'll get to see more.

Brand of Sacrifice said:
I view Godo more than just "the guy Guts goes to so he can repair his gear" he almost seems like a father to Guts, giving him deep life advice and such.

"A father" is a bit much, but he did give Guts advice that rang true.

Brand of Sacrifice said:
While I'm talking about Godo, why was he exiled for making the Dragonslayer? That didn't really make sense to me. King: "That sword is huge! Kill him!" what?

Well then you should probably re-read that part of the story? A king issued a proclamation, asking for a sword that could kill a dragon. What he wanted was a grand and magnificent sword, but Godot took it literally, on purpose, because he was bored with working for nobles, and created a sword that was truly made to kill a dragon, and was therefore unuseable by a normal man. When he presented the Dragon Slayer to the king, the man was most likely offended because he felt that Godot was making fun of him (which he was). I don't think it's too hard to understand. Here is a good translation of the scene, in case you need it.

Brand of Sacrifice said:
Secondly, I think after Berserk is finished, Miura should make some bonus material showing each of the original Band of the Hawk member's pasts. It would put even more character development into them and would give the series/golden age arc even more re-watch/re-read value than it already has, and make the Eclipse that much more tragic.

The Golden Age arc has long been over. There's really little interest in revisiting the characters who died then, especially since we already know the outline of what they did before we were introduced to them. I really don't think Miura will be doing that when Berserk is done.

Ah, I must have missed those things. Yeah a father would be too much I should have used a better word, maybe something along the lines of a mentor, or simply a good friend. But he does want Guts to have a good life. I agree the Hawk members' pasts definitely aren't necessary and I wouldn't mind it not happening, but in my opinion it'd be something cool. Thanks for the reply.

Top Bottom