My Schierke cosplay

Hi!
Back in 2012 I cosplayed Schierke at Sakuracon. I'm only 5 feet tall and she is one of my favorites so why not? As far as I knew, I was the only Berserk cosplayer there. Although I did get recognized once, and the guy couldn't even name me. I was really hoping I would find a Guts so I could take pictures with him. :farnese:

2w514dz.jpg
167v3v9.jpg

I dyed a blonde wig olive green using FW ink and styled it. The fabric I found was perfect (the drape was very floaty and resembled how Muira sometimes draws clothes) but it was white.. so I dyed it - all 6 yards of it. As a result it's a little spotty but I was satisfied with the result regardless. I drafted the hat, cape, and dress patterns and sewed them myself. I'm wearing brown circle lenses so my eyes look bigger. I unfortunately wasn't able to complete her staff in time, so I sculpted a little golem entity and carried it around along with some fake berries as props.

2uhoh8i.jpg

As it goes with anything creative: you have to fail a lot before you succeed, and this is especially true for costuming. The collar doesn't stand correctly because the interfacing was too heavy and the pattern I made isn't the best. The hat was also really heavy because I had to stuff it to keep it's shape.The bags and shoes aren't accurate so I am going to have to make them by hand.

I've been cosplaying since 2003 and this has been my absolute favorite out of everything I've made! I am working on remaking it, hopefully I'll finish it sometime this year otherwise I'll have to switch to cosplaying Flora instead. :iva:

30wkpzs.jpg
wj7q.jpg

Thank you for looking and I hope you enjoyed the photos. I've been a Berserk fan for many years and am happy to be a part of this community!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hey there Gummyskull, welcome to the forum! :guts:

Frankly I think you did a bang up job on that costume. It might not be perfect to you and it certainly is too bad the staff wasn't ready in time, but from the robe to the shoes and the hat without forgetting the hair and even the berries, it definitely is the best Schierke cosplay I've seen so far. It looks great and you look great in it. And on a side note, I approve of your avatar choice.

Gummyskull said:
Thank you for looking and I hope you enjoyed the photos. I've been a Berserk fan for many years and am happy to be a part of this community!

Thank you for posting them. We're glad to have you among us.

Adorable photos! :serpico: So cool to see others (and women at that) invest time and hard work in Berserk creations like this. Dont wanna put any pressure on you but it really would be most interesting to see if you do decide to do another one with the staff.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice. It's good to see a decent Schierke cosplay. I've seen so many Casca ones. Really impressed with the hat in particular. I think you really nailed the bendy aspect of it. And touting THE tome of Schierke lore--Volume 24--nice touch.

Did anyone there recognize you?

Also, welcome!

Oburi

All praise Grail
I love it! You did a great job. Superb attention to detail. I agree about your hair as well, very nice.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Ooh that's very nicely done! I'd have lost my shit if I ran into you, too bad I don't go to Sakura Con... come to Fanime in California! :troll:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
That's one of the best cosplays I've seen, and definitely the best Schierke. You did a great job. Welcome to SK.net!

Deci

Walter said:

Although I did get recognized once, and the guy couldn't even name me. I was really hoping I would find a Guts so I could take pictures with him. :farnese:

I love it. I didn't even notice the staff was missing until your mentioned it, I think the bag and props almost makes up for it, though after you mentioned it I would love to see it too. I can appreciate how difficult something like this can be, having started and quit a costume in the past (not Berserk though). Sometimes a simple costume can be the the toughest because you really gotta nail the simple stuff or it just doesn't work.

Well if you ask me you did a fantastic job. Grats! Though it's disappointing not more people recognized you, perhaps they were shy because you're pretty, that happens often at conventions like these. :slan:

Welcome to the forum!

That's amazing Gummy! Schierke is such a cool character and it looks like you put a lot of effort into your outfit. It is a shame not as many people know about Berserk at anime conventions. A+! :)

Thank you everyone! I'm really honored to receive such warm responses. It makes me want to get my butt into gear and start reworking this!

Aazealh said:
And on a side note, I approve of your avatar choice.
Thanks so much!It's one of my favorite cover illustrations.

Hanma_Baki said:
Adorable photos! :serpico: So cool to see others (and women at that) invest time and hard work in Berserk creations like this. Dont wanna put any pressure on you but it really would be most interesting to see if you do decide to do another one with the staff.
Actually this gives me motivation! And there need to be more women fans in general. If plenty of shonen series have female fans, then why can't a frankly superior seinen series attract more women?

Walter said:
Very nice. It's good to see a decent Schierke cosplay. I've seen so many Casca ones. Really impressed with the hat in particular. I think you really nailed the bendy aspect of it. And touting THE tome of Schierke lore--Volume 24--nice touch.

Thanks so much! The hat was the most difficult part to make. I was recognized by only one guy, who had to ask if I was from Berserk and ended up not knowing what Schierke's name was. Which doesn't surprise me since Berserk doesn't seem to be all that popular at Pacific Northwest conventions in general. :azan:
I was carrying that volume actually because I entered a costume contest at a smaller con later in 2012, and references were required. Though it turned out to be a popularity contest and the judges actually didn't care about accuracy. But I was able to use the volume to gush about Berserk to other attendees so it worked out in the end.

Dar Klink said:
come to Fanime in California! :troll:
I've been wanting to forever, I've heard nothing but great things. The only California con I have been to was ALA 2011 and I had a blast!

Deci said:
Sometimes a simple costume can be the the toughest because you really gotta nail the simple stuff or it just doesn't work.
Absolutely! Simple costumes are the most difficult. Yet I keep falling into the trap of choosing simple character designs because I think: "Oh that will be easy to make!".

Deci said:
Though it's disappointing not more people recognized you, perhaps they were shy because you're pretty, that happens often at conventions like these. :slan:
Gobolatula said:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH SOCUUUUUTE!!!!!!!! <3
:farnese:

Tama chan said:
It is a shame not as many people know about Berserk at anime conventions. A+! :)
The movie trilogy is being screened at anime cons now so maybe it will become popular! ...But really, I agree that it's disappointing that Berserk is not as well-known as it deserves to be.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Gummyskull said:
I've been wanting to forever, I've heard nothing but great things. The only California con I have been to was ALA 2011 and I had a blast!

Oh cool, I've went to ALA in 2010. There was actually a really good Guts/Casca duo there, especially the Casca. Fanime last year had a Serpico cosplayer as well as two Griffiths and I think a Guts. The Serpico cosplayer was good and she was fun to talk to. It'd be amazing to see a full group of the current Guts party.

Sadly Fanime has gone downhill in some ways over the past few years, the lines have gotten extremely long, the organization is a mess, the guests/events are announced really really late, and the con hall has been under construction for the past few years. Despite those problems I've been able to have a great time there. If you ever brought Schierke there I guarantee quite a few people will recognize you. Grail, Gobalatula, and I usually meet up there every year to hang out, and a lot of my other friends that go to the con are huge Berserk fans.

Cons in general are getting really big, so I think those issues are happening everywhere. It's too bad Fanime is falling victim to them. From my friends who still go regularly it still sounds like a great time and I intend to go! California seems to have more people interested in a variety of of anime/manga/pop culture than the PNW. Up here there are either teenagers into Homestuck/whatever the most popular anime is, or adults into American comic and tv shows.

I'd be so excited to see other Berserk cosplays! I've seen a few Guts and Casca's in the past but never any other character. I'd also love to meet your group and other Berserk fans, the only other fans I know are my boyfriend and a few friends of mine. It makes me really thankful that this forum exists.

Top Bottom