What Would You Ask Miura?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
maybe a cheap one or maybe insignificant but for the sake of the brain storm :

How did you come up with the idea of Berserk. Did you think it would get as popular as it is now?

ps : sorry if we already know the answer to that. I don't so I'm curious about it.

Answer is here: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=4632.msg20393#msg20393

More old interviews can be found here, and they're all fascinating: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=8059.msg136395#msg136395

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Muchas gracias Walter. i read a couple of interviews in the past but don't remember a lot. It' ll be good reading while waiting for the next episode.

Or actually, I would ask him about himself.
His habits when he gets into his creative process, if he uses any stimulants (caffeine/nicotine), alcohol or consciousness-altering substances... but maybe that's rude to ask. :void:

Walter said:
We've discussed the changes a number of times. Only a handful are significant. Most are so small they're not even noteworthy. http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=11140.15

Thanks for linking that topic, it's so detailed.

-Who are some of the characters that you enjoy drawing the most and why?

-In the past you spoke about the time and effort you put into to the creation of the 1997 amine series. Did you do anything similar with the recent movies?

I am also interested in some of the fan events that might go on in Japan that we don't hear about. A podcast I listen to for another anime is done by people who currently live in Japan and they talk about all the fan events, conventions, signings, merchandise, and so on that happens in Japan. I am not sure how to ask this. If things like this do exist, does Miura have any idea that they exist let alone take part in them. Is anyone aware of something like a Berserk fanclub?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bender said:
A podcast I listen to for another anime is done by people who currently live in Japan and they talk about all the fan events, conventions, signings, merchandise, and so on that happens in Japan. I am not sure how to ask this. If things like this do exist, does Miura have any idea that they exist let alone take part in them. Is anyone aware of something like a Berserk fanclub?

As far as I know there aren't any conventions or official fan clubs for Berserk in Japan. There are some events from time to time though, some of which we've mentioned on the forum.

Mine would go like this:

-Over the years, you have changed your designs various times, is this a conscious thing that you set out to do; as in, "improve" your artwork or do you feel that is a natural thing that has happened, as you became more experienced/accomplished as an artist? Do you ever look back at your old works and want to redraw them in your newer style? Do you agree with artists that want to go back and change things, or do you think that part of being an artist is leaving things be and enjoying the work as is?

-Do the changing times we live in now effect your work. For example: Do your life experiences and how quickly the world has been changing effect Berserk in anyway. For example, are your philosophies/deep thinking in your life forever changing or do you feel the same way as you did when you first started the manga series?

-Have you ever grown tired of working on Berserk for so long and if you do, what have you done to reinvigorate your love for the work that you do - anything that inspires you to continue this long, prestigious manga series.

-What has your interaction with fans been like? Do you enjoy getting feedback from your fans, or do you prefer not thinking too much of fans expectations since as an artist, you don't like being effected by the opinions of others? And as a follow up to that, do you see yourself engaging with fans at any events in the future?

-Will there be another game project for Berserk and what approach would you take if there was - the side story/gaiden approach of the Dreamcast game or an adaptation of your work like with the PlayStation 2 game (which included some supplementary original material)?

-What do you think of the influence your manga has had on popular culture at large - does it give you personal satisfaction on seeing your manga influencing other creators in all entertainment fields, like for example, seeing all of the influence your manga had on director Hidetaka Miyazaki and the game, Demon's Souls?

-Do you ever regret decisions you have made with regards to the storyline/any particular character? What would you change about it, if anything?

This is going to sound way selfish but its actually something I've been thinking about for years. I would ask him if he could draw a wedding ring for me. I ask this because its due to Berserk that I met my girlfriend. I was cosplaying Guts when she noticed me and she is the perfect Casca, you can check out the cosplay thread. I know its very unlikely that he would entertain such a question but I've even thought of visiting Japan and Young Animal to see if my message could get passed on.

Hey, I did go to korea to try and see that Zodd statue that was posted in a thread on here... it wasnt there when I went :puck:

Hello, everyone. Brand new member here. Thank you for letting me join the community. I've been a big fan of Berserk for a pretty long time, starting with the '97anime, which then subsequently turned me on to the manga. I've bought every Japanese tankoban and every Dark Horse edition. I've also bought all the DVDs of the 97 TV series and both the BDs and the DVDs of the more recent Golden Age movie trilogy (to support Berserk.) I also have both the video games (bought a Japanese PS2 just to play Berserk), all the art books, the post card book, numerous action figures, the Guts Art of War statue, etc. I'd say Berserk is my favorite thing ever. I go out of my way to expose as many people as I can to it, and I often think about the story and the characters-it's on my mind a lot LOL. Long time lurker at skullknight.net, been downloading and listening to the podcasts in order and am really enjoying them and decided now is a good time to get involved. Again, thanks for letting me in.

Okay, so my questions for Miura-sama, and if these have been answered already, I'd appreciate being pointed to places where those comments can be found:

1.) We know that the outfits and weapons of both Guts and Griffith can be obtained and used in Capcom's Dragon's Dogma video game. Has anyone ever approached you about using any of the Berserk characters in video games for guest or special appearances? It seems to me that Guts, Griffith and Caska would be naturals for appearances in, say, Soul Calibur, since Namco-Bandai seems to enjoy having guest characters appear in every entry and it's a dark fantasy based fighting game series.

2.) As it regards the two Berserk video games, do you consider them canonical entries in the storyline?

3.) Fans have debated for a long time about Caska's reaction to being violated by Griffith during the Eclipse. Do you feel that the third movie of the Golden Age arc adequately captured your intentions as a creator as it regards the matter of Caska's suffering, or do you see it more as an alternative interpretation by a different group of artists?

Apologies if anyone is bothered by these questions or thinks they're stupid :p

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Redfield said:
Hello, everyone. Brand new member here. Thank you for letting me join the community. I've been a big fan of Berserk for a pretty long time

Welcome!

Redfield said:
1.) We know that the outfits and weapons of both Guts and Griffith can be obtained and used in Capcom's Dragon's Dogma video game. Has anyone ever approached you about using any of the Berserk characters in video games for guest or special appearances? It seems to me that Guts, Griffith and Casca would be naturals for appearances in, say, Soul Calibur, since Namco-Bandai seems to enjoy having guest characters appear in every entry and it's a dark fantasy based fighting game series.

Can't answer for Miura here, but for info the Dragon Dogma stuff was the result of a promotional deal with the first movie of the Berserk Film Project, not with the manga itself. As for Soul Calibur, it's already got its fair share of Berserk references as it is (e.g. Siegfried's design).

Redfield said:
2.) As it regards the two Berserk video games, do you consider them canonical entries in the storyline?

The first game's story was written by Miura and was meant to be canon originally, but it didn't work out in the end. Again I won't presume to answer for Miura, but it's not truly canon like events in the manga are. As for the PS2 game, Miura explicitly said at the time that it was "just for fun". So it's definitely not canon, as one can tell by playing the game anyway, given all the changes to the story.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Redfield said:
3.) Fans have debated for a long time about Casca's reaction to being violated by Griffith during the Eclipse. Do you feel that the third movie of the Golden Age arc adequately captured your intentions as a creator as it regards the matter of Casca's suffering, or do you see it more as an alternative interpretation by a different group of artists?

I doubt he'd ever criticize the movie adaptations openly. It's just not his style. But I think it's probably not hard to guess his true feelings.

Aazealh said:

Thanks.

Not to heap too much praise on you, but you're my favorite of the three regular voices on SkullKast. I like hearing all three of you, but your thoughts and examinations are the ones I'm most in tune with:)

Aazealh said:
Can't answer for Miura here, but for info the Dragon Dogma stuff was the result of a promotional deal with the first movie of the Berserk Film Project, not with the manga itself. As for Soul Calibur, it's already got its fair share of Berserk references as it is (e.g. Siegfried's design).

Yeah, I follow. It's not that I want to see the characters specifically in Soul Calibur, or any other game series for that matter. I would definitely be intrigued by Namco's interpretation of the characters in a fighting game, however. What attacks they'd have, the hit boxes of their various attacks, their animations, their voices, victory quotes and anything else they'd mine from the manga, etc. It's just more of a general question about guest appearances. I just wonder what offers he's had, if any, from game companies to use the characters in a 'guest' capacity.

The ideal scenario, however, would be another Berserk game! I'd love a SRPG set during the Golden Age.

Aazealh said:
The first game's story was written by Miura and was meant to be canon originally, but it didn't work out in the end. Again I won't presume to answer for Miura, but it's not truly canon like events in the manga are. As for the PS2 game, Miura explicitly said at the time that it was "just for fun". So it's definitely not canon, as one can tell by playing the game anyway, given all the changes to the story.

When the PS2 game came out, I didn't have much access to translated versions of the manga and I didn't (and still don't) speak Japanese, so I was unfamiliar with the pacing of the game and how the events fit in. I didn't really know how much time was passing in the game, so I couldn't be sure of it. With the Dreamcast game, I recall some of those characters showing up in a scene in the manga, but it was a minor thing. I thought they were in a forest and watched Zodd fly overhead or something like that, but I might not be remembering it right.

Walter said:
I doubt he'd ever criticize the movie adaptations openly. It's just not his style. But I think it's probably not hard to guess his true feelings.

Has Miura ever directly stated his intentions for Casca's POV? I presume he's been saving that for what I'd have to think is the eventual attempt by the elves to heal her, but I just don't know what he's said. Has he ever even publicly hinted at this?

I refrain from opining on the matter myself because I'm pretty tired of reading all the back and forth on the subject from the community. At this point, knowing what the various circles of fans think, I'm only interested in what Miura has to say on the subject.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Redfield said:
Has Miura ever directly stated his intentions for Casca's POV?
I think his intentions were pretty clear during the scene in which she was raped and said no no no, while crying and bleeding, then having her mind wiped from the trauma. How many more layers of pain and suffering would be sufficient to convince you?

I refrain from opining on the matter myself because I'm pretty tired of reading all the back and forth on the subject from the community. At this point, knowing what the various circles of fans think, I'm only interested in what Miura has to say on the subject.

It's not debatable. If you can't see what his intentions were with the scene, then your query is more suited to a remedial Berserk class than to ask the man himself.

Walter said:
I think his intentions were pretty clear during the scene in which she was raped and said no no no, while crying and bleeding, then having her mind wiped from the trauma. How many more layers of pain and suffering would be sufficient to convince you?

It's not debatable. If you can't see what his intentions were with the scene, then your query is more suited to a remedial Berserk class than to ask the man himself.

Well, I know this question won't be making it on to the next interview submission:D

EDIT: I was just asked in a PM if I believe Casca was raped.

Let me clear up that question.

Absolutely. She was raped. To imply that there was even a part of her that just saw Femto and jumped on him is just wrong. My question is more about what happened to her during the act, the psychological walls and defense mechanisms that either were or were not going up and switching on during the violation.

In a shattered, brain addled state, did she revert to a partial, broken shadow of herself and reciprocate at all at THAT point? Or was there only pure resistance followed by insanity?

I've seen arguments on both sides of the psychological defense side, and that's more what I was referring to.

Sorry about any confusion I've caused.

To the sender of the PM: I responded, but my Sent Items box is showing no items, so I don't know if you received my response at all.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
In a shattered, brain addled state, did she revert to a partial, broken shadow of herself and reciprocate at all at THAT point?

That sounds rather convoluted, and doesn't match up with what we're shown -- no reciprocation. It comes across as a gross attempt at justification from those who for whatever reason wanted Casca to kiss him back.

Or was there only pure resistance followed by insanity?

Sounds more likely to me. The trauma caused her mind to regress. It could be further addressed later, as you say, when they go to restore her. But it seems pretty straightforward.

Anyway, this is hardly the place to debate such a thing. In fact, there are many active threads right now on Casca.

Sorry again for any confusion about my line of question. I'm a new guy and I'm just trying to fit in without being too much of a troublemaker :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Redfield said:
Not to heap too much praise on you, but you're my favorite of the three regular voices on SkullKast. I like hearing all three of you, but your thoughts and examinations are the ones I'm most in tune with:)

Glad to know you enjoy my contributions.

Redfield said:
The ideal scenario, however, would be another Berserk game! I'd love a SRPG set during the Golden Age.

I don't think that'd be a very good use of the license to be honest.

Redfield said:
When the PS2 game came out, I didn't have much access to translated versions of the manga and I didn't (and still don't) speak Japanese, so I was unfamiliar with the pacing of the game and how the events fit in. I didn't really know how much time was passing in the game, so I couldn't be sure of it. With the Dreamcast game, I recall some of those characters showing up in a scene in the manga, but it was a minor thing. I thought they were in a forest and watched Zodd fly overhead or something like that, but I might not be remembering it right.

Well for the PS2 game I think the events depicted differ so much from what's in the manga that even without speaking Japanese it's quite clear it's not meant to be canon. As for the DC game, no, no characters from it show up in the manga. The event to which you refer is not connected. There's just one similar name that might be a little nod, but that's it.

Redfield said:
Has Miura ever directly stated his intentions for Casca's POV? [...] I refrain from opining on the matter myself because I'm pretty tired of reading all the back and forth on the subject from the community. At this point, knowing what the various circles of fans think, I'm only interested in what Miura has to say on the subject.

Congratulation on refraining, starting a discussion on the topic in an unrelated thread would have been in bad taste. As for asking Miura about this, there aren't many questions that I think would be more distasteful.

How has the advancement and changes in technology affected the way you make Berserk over the years? Do you use computers or other devices to aid you in your work?

I came across an artist who I was familiar with who I believe started working in the early 80's in the industry and is currently now drawing a manga completely digitally. It got me wondering if Miura has embraced any new technology, like computers, as he has drawn Berserk over the years. I know very little about the process of making a manga and maybe someone with more knowledge could help frame the question better, but it is something I thought would be interesting to hear since he has been working on one project for the last 20+ years.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bender said:
I came across an artist who I was familiar with who I believe started working in the early 80's in the industry and is currently now drawing a manga completely digitally. It got me wondering if Miura has embraced any new technology, like computers, as he has drawn Berserk over the years. I know very little about the process of making a manga and maybe someone with more knowledge could help frame the question better, but it is something I thought would be interesting to hear since he has been working on one project for the last 20+ years.

As far as I know he still works completely by hand. The "special effects", which are the work of one of his assistants, are the only thing that might possibly be added by computer, and even then I'm not sure they are.

Aazealh said:
As far as I know he still works completely by hand. The "special effects", which are the work of one of his assistants, are the only thing that might possibly be added by computer, and even then I'm not sure they are.

Yeah, that is what I assume as well and why I'm interested. If that were the case I would still be interested to know that his methods have not changed. There were other questions in the thread about his work environment and process, maybe something along the lines of my question could be combined with them.

Here what's in my mind:

- AFAIK George R.R. Martin and his wife like to read threads his fans posts and trying to resolve his plot riddles and twists. Berserk is over 25 years old and boards have plenty of theories Is Miura-san reading community discussions?
- Will we see any spin-offs to the main story in future? Short series taken place in the same world but in another era, for example.
- Skull Knight stated that he is an enemy of God Hand. What he meant, except his attempts to kill them? Why he is hiding his personality?
- If the characters read books, what would read Guts, Griffith, Zodd, Irvin, Locus, Grunbeld, Rakshas and Skull Knight?
- Anything that Guts afraid of?
- Anything about GSC obtaining Berserk license and releasing figures? More merchandise coming in future? New limited polystone statues are dedicated to incoming Berserk events (new anime, etc)?

lon3vvolf said:
This is going to sound way selfish but its actually something I've been thinking about for years. I would ask him if he could draw a wedding ring for me. I ask this because its due to Berserk that I met my girlfriend. I was cosplaying Guts when she noticed me and she is the perfect Casca, you can check out the cosplay thread. I know its very unlikely that he would entertain such a question but I've even thought of visiting Japan and Young Animal to see if my message could get passed on.

This is the most adorable thing I've read in a long time. You guys met each other as Guts and Casca. How romantic. :farnese:

Over the years I've seen many many very original proposals, and personally, I think it is a dying art(?). No one wows or surprises their significant others anymore with their proposals! I jest, of course. Some still do (I remember a guy filling a theater for example, and he had his girlfriend believe they were just going to see a movie, but it was actually a video of her family giving him their blessing and telling her how proud they were of her here's the video), but some don't, and that's fine. :slan:

But this is a very original idea, and very rooted in how you met your girlfriend. Assuming you're serious (and it seems like you are), I think it's very sweet, and if Miura ever heard your request, I don't think he'd refuse or respectfully decline. I don't see any impossibilities transferring a ring drawing (on a table or a woman's finger for scale as I imagine him drawing it, maybe even noticeably in the Berserk world! :guts:) over to a jeweler (they're all about unique and microscopic detail anyway, right?). Again, it is a very sweet idea, so thank you for sharing it. I imagined it very clearly, and it warmed my heart a little bit. I agree, it seems very unlikely, but I will wish you luck anyway. Don't wait forever, though! :magni:

CheAkiwara

大天使 ~ ボイド
I would like to ask him some personal questions , like If he does read other mangas that are currently being published and If he would like to visit the places he sometimes takes inspirations from.

I wanna know how he spends his "day off" if he has any , or how he would plan it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CheAkiwara said:
I would like to ask him some personal questions , like If he does read other mangas that are currently being published and

It'd be good to know. I don't recall him mentioning reading any currently running series, other than Guin Saga of course (a novel). But he does often mention games.

If he would like to visit the places he sometimes takes inspirations from.

He took a trip to Europe a Dutch naval museum in Japan in 2004 to do research on ships (for all the ships in Vritannis, we can assume), and I imagine he's taken other trips to see these old locations in person.

Top Bottom