Episode 334

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Arvin said:
It also brings back to the point that Griffith (and the large forces at work) could still be pulling the strings to make most humans still ignorant about the workings of the astral world, besides now being all over it, with all the rescuing and readapting of people process that we are seeing. Sure lots or most people would perish in this new world but perhaps some groups could learn interesting things with other spiritual or not so spiritual-now beings.

Not telling them anything about it is already enough. Especially since they have a "safe haven" to which everyone flocks instead of learning to survive, adapt and rediscover the old ways (which includes siding with some benevolent beings to protect themselves against the dangerous pests like trolls). That's one big way in which Falconia can already seem dark as it is right now: people are utterly dependent on it. I'm curious to know how much freedom the citizens have... Do they live where they're told, do what they're told? Can someone refuse to work? Are there beggars? It'll be interesting to learn more about that seemingly idyllic society.

Johnny Apples said:
Perhaps there is hope that we'll get to see Theresia too? :judo:

While there's life there's hope. What would be the point though? Why do you even want to see her again?

Bramwell said:
Don't mean to be crude, but damn Miura is good a drawing tits.

That and everything else.

I wonder...

Could it be that Dhaiva might be a serious threat to Griffith in the future? He is a sorcerer after all. :daiba:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Irvine said:
I wonder...

Could it be that Dhaiva might be a serious threat to Griffith in the future? He is a sorcerer after all. :daiba:

I like Daiba a lot (really, quite a lot) but uh... he's a second-class sorcerer next to someone like Schierke.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
I like Daiba a lot (really, quite a lot) but uh... he's a second-class sorcerer next to someone like Schierke.

I could see him being "usefull" at some point depending on what's going to happen (opening the doors :serpico:). But like you said far from Schierke's level.

Bramwell said:
Don't mean to be crude, but damn Miura is good a drawing tits. I am very interested to see what Griffiths grand plan is.

Haha, yes indeed, his are very realistic ones. Lawl, that sounds so wrong. :ganishka:

I was also pleasantly surprised to see Luka and her group of (now assumed) ex-meretrice.
I won't lie, I also wish now to see cameos of Jill and, of course, Theresia as most of we do. :slan:

Aazealh said:
Not telling them anything about it is already enough. Especially since they have a "safe haven" to which everyone flocks instead of learning to survive, adapt and rediscover the old ways (which includes siding with some benevolent beings to protect themselves against the dangerous pests like trolls). That's one big way in which Falconia can already seem dark as it is right now: people are utterly dependent on it. I'm curious to know how much freedom the citizens have... Do they live where they're told, do what they're told? Can someone refuse to work? Are there beggars? It'll be interesting to learn more about that seemingly idyllic society.

Agreed.

And all valid questions which I also hope to see adressed in the coming episodes. I actually haven't seen a translation of this episode so perhaps even some tidbits could have been mentioned at some panel. But given the abundance of crops, fields, fruits, vegetables and so on, it doesn't seem like beggars will have to beg much in order to have money for food. Actually I haven't noticed a single coin circulating from the people there gathering the available food. Makes you think if money has any meaning now and if so what kind of system will be or already is implanted.

If I had to venture a wild guess at this point, based on Griffith's earlier views of how rank and nobility shouldn't influence one's social status, the seeming absence of some kind of trade coin in this episode and also how Luka and her friends already have a suitable occupation and Rickert is on his way with the appointing letter; perhaps all that will show as a meritocracy close to Griffith's earlier ideals. But then there is the Holy See, the nobles, Foss... I guess you can't run from some kind of pre-installed hierarchy, although if that is the case I think they wouldn't be nearly as influent as they once were and they would have to prove their worth on a more consistent basis (Holy See aside). The nobles point of view would be a nice one to address all the socio-economic issues that Falconia could present.

Great to see Luca and her sistas, again. She was one of my favourite minor characters to the point that part of me wishes that she had accompanied Guts & co on their quest at the expense of say... Farnese, who hasn't grown on me.

For all the talk of former characters popping up out of the woodwork, I hope (and trust) this won't become a regular event. I trust Miura enough that we won't be seeing anyone else appear for the sake of 'Ohai gaiz remember me?' It would make the Berserk world look small and not jive with the crapsack milieu that we've become accustomed to... which was BEFORE the place was swarming with astral monsters.

Don't forget that everything is within the flow of causality. There are always higher forces (or is it forces, hi-ya!) at play. :griffnotevil: I'm open to other characters showing up if I relax the constraints on what it necessarily means if they do so.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
For all the talk of former characters popping up out of the woodwork, I hope (and trust) this won't become a regular event. I trust Miura enough that we won't be seeing anyone else appear for the sake of 'Ohai gaiz remember me?' It would make the Berserk world look small and not jive with the crapsack milieu that we've become accustomed to... which was BEFORE the place was swarming with astral monsters.
Unwarranted skepticism.

I keep thinking one possibility is that Silat and Daiba might join forces with guts against griffith.
Maybe some of the apostles retook human form under Griffith's orders?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Irvine said:
I wonder...

Could it be that Dhaiva might be a serious threat to Griffith in the future? He is a sorcerer after all.
Walter said:

:daiba: "Say that to my face."

I don't think we should overestimate (I doubt Griff is sweating him) or underestimate Daiba (whose resourcefulness continues to impress). If I remember correctly, Schierke wasn't unimpressed either, and it took quite an effort by the entire group to subdue him when he had his full mojo working (yes, he had Ganishka and his familiars backing him, but Schierke also calls on greater powers to augment her own, albeit in different ways). I think his bigger problem than his ability as a sorcerer, however quantifiable or comparable that is, is that he's a second class character, born to pose a challenge but ultimately lose to likes of Schierke and Guts. By the same token it's not his place to pose a meaningful threat to Griffith.

The fact that Daiba's living in Falconia is interesting because it either means Griffith is less aware of the goings on in his city/world than Ganishka was (a little counter-intuitive), or he really doesn't care. Though, even if Griffith wasn't threatened , I wouldn't put it past him to eliminate Daiba simply for being on the same plane, though perhaps that's a moot distinction in Fantasia (but it's not like everyone knows how to take advantage of it). One thing Daiba has over Ganishka in the potential threat department is free will, rather than an elaborate death wish.

Doc said:

I think that's more a fan issue; the immediate clamoring for eveyone's favorite supporting characters to make cameos for no reason because Luca has reemerged. That mentality kind of undermines what legitimate role she has to play. I only wonder if Miura has always wanted/intended to bring her back, or if needed a character like this to welcome them etc and realized he could just use her for it with the added potential for a lot more.

On the other hand, speaking of that, "We're getting the band back together!" mentality, it can sometimes be intuitive in unintended ways. After all, it's not necessarily right to assume the former supporting characters in various chapters or arcs wouldn't or shouldn't return as part of the bigger picture just because they're pigeonholed into specific parts of the story in our minds. It actually makes all the sense in the (new) world that they'd all be in Falconia now if they're in fact alive, and a case could be made that their introduction before was all building towards this, whether that was the original intent or not. We'll see.

It's probably so they can give Guts their energy when he and Schierke are forming the giant Genki Dama to destroy Griffith. :ganishka:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Bramwell said:
Don't mean to be crude, but damn Miura is good a drawing tits.

Speaking of which, I love the two panels with Luca holding Erica close to her, especially the second one. It's very cute.

Doc said:

I don't think you need to worry about Berserk becoming something generic or cliche because we're seeing some familiar faces in Falconia. Miura hasn't let us down yet, in terms of story (and I don't think he will).

As for Daiba, I'm hoping he and Silat will join up with Guts and company when they arrive. Of course, Miura could have other plans in store for him that we haven't even thought of yet. I love that he's keeping the garuda in the barn, by the way.

It's so nice having Berserk back.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Ah, this is fantastic! Thanks for posting! I love the detail of the city. The statues along the city walls are so imposing. The grandiosity of the entire city is incomparable to anything else we've seen in the series. It's no wonder people flocked to Falconia (not including the horrors of the outside world). Everyone seems very happy and content…so far.

And I absolutely cannot wait for Rickert to meet with Griffith. It'll be the first time we've seen the new king since Falconia's appearance, right?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I don't think we should overestimate (I doubt Griff is sweating him) or underestimate Daiba (whose resourcefulness continues to impress).

My reply was in context of Daiba being a "serious threat" to Griffith, which he's simply not. The real question is why is he hiding at all. Garuda aside, I see Daiba as being wary of Falconia--somewhat in the same way Silat was, but obviously for different reasons. Remember how skeptical he was when he saw humans and apostles working together? Well, now they have a city together, and it's the only place that's safe. Pretty terrifying, if you're in the know like he is.

If I remember correctly, Schierke wasn't unimpressed either, and it took quite an effort by the entire group to subdue him when he had his full mojo working (yes, he had Ganishka and his familiars backing him)

Initially she was floored at the quickness of his casting, but upon realizing he was relying on pishacha, she almost seemed disappointed in him. :schierke: Maybe that's just my memory of it though.

That being said, by his own admission, Daiba was reliant on Ganishka supplying him with pishacha. Things have changed, though. Daiba's talents in wrangling magical creatures could put him on a whole new level in a world now replete with them.

By the same token it's not his place to pose a meaningful threat to Griffith.

Naturally. He's no Flora. Which was my point. Although the nature of that threat is still quite nebulous, even though it's been more than 10 years since her death. It's beyond the scope of this thread, but I've always tended to think it was her knowledge of the world, and Femto's role in it, not some magical feat that could damage him. Metaphorically speaking, she could see backstage while he was putting on a show.

The fact that Daiba's living in Falconia is interesting because it either means Griffith is less aware of the goings on in his city/world than Ganishka was (a little counter-intuitive), or he really doesn't care.

There's ample room for either possibility, but I don't think either informs us of the limitations of Griffith's powers. Falconia is teeming with people, new arrivals everyday. Even if he's not aware of Daiba specifically, I'm sure he's considered the possibility of a magic user being among them.

I only wonder if Miura has always wanted/intended to bring her back, or if needed a character like this to welcome them etc and realized he could just use her for it with the added potential for a lot more.

I think Miura always had an additional role for her to play. Among all the subcharacters, her story makes the most sense to transplant into Falconia. Though sure, there's room for other re-introductions as well. Rita, maybe? :ganishka:

Delta Phi said:
And I absolutely cannot wait for Rickert to meet with Griffith. It'll be the first time we've seen the new king since Falconia's appearance, right?

Of course. But we aren't totally sure that there's been a coronation yet. It is highly likely though--the chain of command and tasks for soldiers are already in place. I just hope we see a panel-flashback of the coronation, since it's such a long-awaited moment. :griffnotevil:

Deci

Griffith said:
I only wonder if Miura has always wanted/intended to bring her back, or if needed a character like this to welcome them etc and realized he could just use her for it with the added potential for a lot more.

Right after I saw that she was back I went back and flipped through the episodes where she was with Skull Knight and the Egg Apostle. Reading it with the knowledge that she returns and meets Rickert, of all people, it seemed to me that Miura had it planned all along. The parallels between the mock Eclipse/Eclipse are pretty remarkable.

Are we 100% sure that Rickert is safe to meet Griffith? I mean Rickert is surely no threat, but he does know about some skeletons in the King's closet, if that's something he cares about... not totally super great for his reputation.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Are we 100% sure that Rickert is safe to meet Griffith? I mean Rickert is surely no threat, but he does know about some skeletons in the King's closet, if that's something he cares about... not totally super great for his reputation.
You should review what Griffith's parting words to Rickert were in volume 22.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
My reply was in context of Daiba being a "serious threat" to Griffith, which he's simply not.

I know, but calling him "second class" could give the impression he's some kind of phony, when we don't really know his place in the world among mortal magic users. For all we do know he's the second best alive now.

Walter said:
That being said, by his own admission, Daiba was reliant on Ganishka supplying him with pishacha. Things have changed, though. Daiba's talents in wrangling magical creatures could put him on a whole new level in a world now replete with them.
Walter said:
Well, and his knowledge of magical creatures and the astral world.

What's interesting about all that is that we now know the relationship between him an Ganishka and magic was likely circular in the sense that they're knowledge and power grew from one other. It's a question of the chicken or the egg (of the conqueror) with those two.

Walter said:
I think Miura always had an additional role for her to play. Among all the subcharacters, her story makes the most sense to transplant into Falconia.

Well, the last time we saw her she literally was sitting around waiting. :guts:

Walter said:
Of course. But we aren't totally sure that there's been a coronation yet. It is highly likely though--the chain of command and tasks for soldiers are already in place. I just hope we see a panel-flashback of the coronation, since it's such a long-awaited moment. :griffnotevil:
Deci said:

"Not Griffith, dear Rickert... MAGIC EMPEROR GRIFFITH!"

Deci said:
Walter said:

Yeah, I doubt Griffith is going to be hostile now, even though Rickert didn't take him up on his offer. Of course, that was before Guts explained the situation to him, and we'll see if Rickert has the stones to bring that up. So, who knows, perhaps the door for Rickert to be a part of this dream has closed, "That's unfortunate. :griffnotevil:" It would be interesting for Rickert to be a voice of dissent to Griffith, to point out this isn't exactly the dream they chased years ago. Not even in a negative way, just point out this is so ludicrously beyond the human accomplishment they were striving for. I wouldn't expect it to phase Griffith of course (not human!), but there's certainly nobody else there in a position to offer that perspective. In any case, it's going to be a great barometer for where Griffith's mind is at. I certainly hope he'll drop the mask like he did at the Hill of Swords and speak freely with Rickert about these things, particularly how he'll address the Eclipse, instead of just saying how wonderful everything is blah blah blah the greater good blah blah the end justifies means blah while Rickert looks on in growing concern for his and Erica's lives if he doesn't take a knee for the new king.

Deci

Walter said:

I considered it. Griffith doesn't mention anything about how he might respond (if at all) if Rickert doesn't join him, but most of all if Rickert is actively anti-Griffith. His wording "I'll have no cause to refuse you", isn't exactly super inviting in my opinion either. Well, there's really no undertone there at all I gather. So I wonder, if Rickert is just mega upset with him and starts being really loud and accusatory etc etc, I wonder, if Griffith might think it best to sweep the dissent under the rug somehow.

I imagine the meeting will be particularly emotional for Rickert if the past is brought up. Then again, it's entirely possible Rickert (or Griffith) will avoid the topic altogether. I'm very curious about the whole thing really. ^_^x

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
What's interesting about all that is that we now know the relationship between him an Ganishka and magic was likely circular in the sense that they're knowledge and power grew from one other. It's a question of the chicken or the egg (of the conqueror) with those two.

Well, we know who gave Ganishka the Beherit. Whether Daiba knew its true nature at that time or not is unknown. But I can't imagine it's coincidence that Daiba happened to be the one to deliver it, AND be someone who later exhibits deep knowledge of the astral world.

Yeah, I doubt Griffith is going to be hostile now, even though Rickert didn't take him up on his offer. Of course, that was before Guts explained the situation to him, and we'll see if Rickert has the stones to bring that up.

I don't think Griffith expected Rickert to jump on Zodd right then. The way that scene in volume 22 plays out, Griffith's offer comes with the knowledge that Rickert would likely learn of what happened during the Eclipse. But the offer stands.

It would be interesting for Rickert to be a voice of dissent to Griffith, to point out this isn't exactly the dream they chased years ago. Not even in a negative way, just point out this is so ludicrously beyond the human accomplishment they were striving for. I wouldn't expect it to phase Griffith of course (not human!), but there's certainly nobody else there in a position to offer that perspective. In any case, it's going to be a great barometer for where Griffith's mind is at. I certainly hope he'll drop the mask like he did at the Hill of Swords and speak freely with Rickert about these things, particularly how he'll address the Eclipse, instead of just saying how wonderful everything is blah blah blah the greater good blah blah the end justifies means blah while Rickert looks on in growing concern for his and Erica's lives if he doesn't take a knee for the new king.

Indeed, it's a rare opportunity for readers to learn just a little bit more about Femto--how will he treat a subordinate in such a delicate situation as this? But I don't actually expect him to give Rickert any special treatment. He'll probably be his same old perfect self. Still, the possibilities are enticing.

Deci said:
I considered it. Griffith doesn't mention anything about how he might respond (if at all) if Rickert doesn't join him,
His wording "I'll have no cause to refuse you", isn't exactly super inviting in my opinion either.

Really? This is bordering on a bad faith argument on your part. If Rickert chose to hate Griffith, then in his own words, Griffith's response would be: "so be it." Not: "I KILL U." Griffith goes out of his way to tell Rickert that he would still accept him if he wants to continue in his service--and given how he looks at Erica at the end of this episode, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion what his decision will be. It's unlikely Griffith did that so that when Rickert later appeared in front of him that he can turn him down and perhaps give him a wedgie.

So I wonder, if Rickert is just mega upset with him and starts being really loud and accusatory etc etc, I wonder, if Griffith might think it best to sweep the dissent under the rug somehow.

Is that really the impression you get from Rickert in these past 2 episodes, as he considers the thought of confronting Griffith? Do you detect a boiling rage, just waiting to overflow? He's pensive, conflicted, possibly afraid. He doesn't give any indication that he's about to walk into that lion's den and spit on the throne. Remember that Rickert dealt with the deaths of his comrades differently than Guts. His relationship with Griffith is fundamentally different.

Griffith said:
I know, but calling him "second class" could give the impression he's some kind of phony, when we don't really know his place in world among mortal magic users. For all we do know he's the second best alive

I agree with Griffith. Although I like to think of Daiba as being more powerful than Schierke. Even if not in raw power, his age gives him an advantage in my opinion.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NeaR said:
I like to think of Daiba as being more powerful than Schierke.

On what basis? The versatility of Schierke's abilities (casting Blaze Wheel on Guts) is what gave the group the upper hand in combat. But I guess if it came to like ... A quick draw competition, Daiba would take home the gold. Actually though, he'd have to award the medal to the Kundalini--hence my point.

I can't believe my well-intentioned jab at Daiba has turned into a WHO WOULD WIN discussion. Debunking him in this way brings me great pains, since I really like the character, and Miura's portrayal of a different form of magic. But I guess I brought this on myself...

Before this gets deeper, my second-class comment comes from the differences in the two schools of magic. Daiba's usage of magic is superficial in that he's directing other creatures to do amazing feats. Schierke relies on similar contracts with astral beings/astral phenomena that she summons by diving into the astral world, but their powers are channeled through her. It's a much more comprehensive process. Consider how she found and utilized the Blaze Wheel--an entity subsisting off the fire innate to a war-torn area. Versus... a water snake. Daiba hasn't exhibited the kind of mastery of the elements Schierke has (her deducing Daiba's power, Ganishka's weakness). It's more like he's merely borrowing their powers, and how it works is inconsequential as long as he has a creature around. If anything, his prowess is a physical one. But that all sounds second-rate to me. *shrug*

As for who would win in a magic arm wrestling match, we'll never know because Daiba seems poised to be among the anti-Falconians.

Introducing us to an amazing Falconia, and then an amazing Elfhelm? The more awesome Falconia seems to me, the more it feels like Miura might just fuck us over when we get to Elfhelm.. and if they're both awesome, we're in for a real treat in the series this year :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
RanShi said:
Introducing us to an amazing Falconia, and then an amazing Elfhelm? The more awesome Falconia seems to me, the more it feels like Miura might just fuck us over when we get to Elfhelm.. and if they're both awesome, we're in for a real treat in the series this year :ganishka:

I'm no physicist, but I'm fairly sure there's not a finite amount of awesome in the universe. It's not beholden to the law of conservation of mass and energy.

Gurifisu

Sweet dreams, dear child of god.
You know looking back at the early episodes it's amazing how much the art has improved and continues to improve. I also liked how they denied that their were no scary monsters in the city when pages before were introduced to one. It's an entrancing wrongness. A city so perfect it can't possibly be right.

It was worth the wait, but god was the wait long.

Top Bottom