Episode 334

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
Perhaps not necessarily the denizens themselves, but Falconia and its personal significance to Griffith. [...] As for what might bring about such an action, I was building on the original proposition: that Guts somehow develops a means of destroying Griffith with the Dragonslayer.

But the problem remains of the circumstances of such a ceremony. Do you picture Femto using a beherit (and which one? The crimson one?) to call upon his kindred while he's in the throes of death? That seems terribly unlikely to me. I think such an occurrence would be far beyond "bending rules", but then again, how do we define what rules apply to the God Hand themselves? Especially now, in this new world?

On a separate note, sorry to nitpick, but "Dragon Slayer" isn't a single word. Same for "God Hand" or "Black Swordsman". I often see people writing them as one word for some reason.

Doc said:
It was certainly a departure from what we had hitherto gleaned about Apostles & sacrifice in the Berserk universe. In hindsight, sure, the rules can be loosely defined but it was fairly black and white how the process worked before the Beherit-Apostle entered the equation. After all, what if anything was the Beherit-Apostle, if not causality's loophole for having Femto incarnated?

Well, the first and only apostle ceremony we ever saw was already completely extraordinary: a second sacrifice by an apostle, one that was actually a failure as he refused to sacrifice, and that also included a former sacrifice and an elf intruding into the ceremony and attacking the God Hand. That doesn't really establish a strict setting to me. That being said, there's no denying the Beherit-Apostle was a special case, fittingly so in the face of what happened at Albion. And I believe that answers your last question: that event was a thousand years in the making, and I think we can assume that the peculiar situation of the Beherit-Apostle was possible because he was such a key part of it.

Then again, we have how varied these things can be, so who knows... Maybe the circumstances of the sacrifices of Zodd, Irvine, Locus, Rakshas or Grunbeld will be revealed to have been quite special as well. Not to mention Slan, Ubik, Conrad or Void.

Selwyn

"I'm frozen to the bone, I am."
I liked the architecture of Falconia and it was cool to see bestgirl again. Too bad Jerome won't come back, or will he?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Selwyn said:
I liked the architecture of Falconia and it was cool to see bestgirl again. Too bad Jerome won't come back, or will he?

Just checking... "Bestgirl" is Luca, right? As for Jerome, I'm sure he's around. Aazealh suggested on our podcast that perhaps he was away at the front lines, since he does have experience with the Holy Iron Chain Knights.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter said:
Well, you initially said he'd attack Elfhelm to secure his reign, because it's another safe place. But humans won't consider Elfhelm a safe place if they a) don't know it exists b) have to traverse the Western Sea to get there. As for the good old "Elfhelm is threat #1" theory, we'll see.

Changing subjects, I was reminded of something I honestly forgot from years ago, back in the episode 307 thread.

From Volume 10:
gaiseric-halfmoon1.jpg
gaiseric-halfmoon2.jpg

And in Episode 307:
falconia-halfmoon1.jpg

We had a discussion earlier in the thread about whether any particular iconography would be replaced. Well... the answer appears to be yep.

So with this...

Original City = Gaiseric's Dream Kingdom

Falconia = Griffiths Dream Kingdom

Gaiseric (SK) = Griffith/Femto ?

If fate is a spiral and somethings are different, should this possibility not be considered? I know it seems far fetched and we all have our assumptions that Gaisric = SK but without Miura telling us with out a doubt, anything could happen until he does. Just throwing it out there in any case. Stupid? Far fetched? "How about no, Scott?" :???:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's already been established that Gaiseric and Griffith share similarities in a variety of ways. Guts muses to himself about it in Vol 10. As for how far the connection goes and what its significance is, unknown. Could be that Gaiseric was the model for Griffith's creation.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
So with this...

Original City = Gaiseric's Dream Kingdom
Falconia = Griffiths Dream Kingdom
Gaiseric (SK) = Griffith/Femto ?

If fate is a spiral and somethings are different, should this possibility not be considered? I know it seems far fetched and we all have our assumptions that Gaisric = SK but without Miura telling us with out a doubt, anything could happen until he does. Just throwing it out there in any case. Stupid? Far fetched?

That Gaiseric can be equated to a mix of Guts and Griffith's characters and circumstances isn't really far-fetched, it's rather obvious to me. I must have first mentioned this about 10 years ago on this forum, and even then it wasn't anything new. In truth it's merely a constatation of the facts and Falconia's appearance was not even needed for it, though it can be interpreted as cementing the conclusion I guess. And of course, "the causality is a spiral" bit from Flora only reinforces the whole thing.

Umm, I actually think SaiyajinNoOuji (and please correct me if I'm wrong) was implying that Gaiseric & Griffith are literally one and the same. At least that's how I read his post. Kind of along the lines how some fans posit the Guts = SK/time loop theory.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
Umm, I actually think SaiyajinNoOuji (and please correct me if I'm wrong) was implying that Gaiseric & Griffith are literally one and the same. At least that's how I read his post. Kind of along the lines how some fans posit the Guts = SK/time loop theory.

That's not what I got from reading his post, but if that's the question, then no...

It's beyond reasonable doubts that SK was once Gaiseric. There have been numerous indications of this, namely Slan calling him "king," and of course the fucking skull helmet. The lack of a 100% certainty is likely a result of Miura waiting for the right time to bring up the name Gaiseric again. Anyway, this is a long way to say that Gaiseric/SK exhibits traits of Guts as well. So it's not as if Griffith is exactly like Gaiseric, and thus a time traveler or whatever nonsense we're discussing. They're men who accomplished similar feats, and were likely both guided by causality.

Walter said:
That's not what I got from reading his post, but if that's the question, then no...

It's beyond reasonable doubts that SK was once Gaiseric. There have been numerous indications of this, namely Slan calling him "king," and of course the fucking skull helmet. The lack of a 100% certainty is likely a result of Miura waiting for the right time to bring up the name Gaiseric again. Anyway, this is a long way to say that Gaiseric/SK exhibits traits of Guts as well. So it's not as if Griffith is exactly like Gaiseric, and thus a time traveler or whatever nonsense we're discussing. They're men who accomplished similar feats, and were likely both guided by causality.

I agree it's a crackpot theory. Hence why the OP was worried about it being 'far-fetched'. I don't think drawing a comparison between Gaiseric & Griffith is in itself particularly outlandish, for reasons already explained by yourself and Aaz.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Yea no, I am not saying that Griffith and SK/Gaisric are the same person. Just the similarities... also the really far fetched thought, will there be an event that makes Griffith take up a similar or literal mantle of SK? :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
also the really far fetched thought, will there be an event that makes Griffith take up a similar or literal mantle of SK? :troll:

Completely impossible no matter what scenario you envision.

I found an Site where the german speaking fans could order the Magazine
http://www.ocs-de.com/de/order.php pretty simple, if you have any questions you can e-mail them
btw the magazine costs 9 €, if you are ordering it from the site

I have a feeling implementing the look of Falconia in similarity to Gaiserics Kingdom that it may appear to those who know the tales of that past that Griffith will try to be the saviour and attempt unify all countries in the humans eyes and of course cementing he is truly all powerful in their eyes and much more so than Gaiseric was. Apologies for the little rant.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Benin said:
I have a feeling implementing the look of Falconia in similarity to Gaiserics Kingdom that it may appear to those who know the tales of that past that Griffith will try to be the saviour and attempt unify all countries in the humans eyes and of course cementing he is truly all powerful in their eyes and much more so than Gaiseric was. Apologies for the little rant.

He already is absurdly powerful in their eyes, though. And uniting countries is folly in this new world.

In the latest Young Animal (May 9 -- No. 10), Miura drew a tribute for March Comes Like a Lion's 100th episode. As fans may know, he's good friends with that series' author, Chika Umino. Needless to say, Miura's tribute was by far the most impressive.

march100-1.jpg

Obviously, it's depicting that series' characters in Berserk's Fantasia. Aaaaand there's a dwarf! Berserk's first true dwarf designs, confirmed? :badbone: The girl on the far right also has a Falconian wing crest on her hat... Interesting.

march100-2.jpg

Also of note in the issue was this, which was associated with March's 100th episode. Either one or all three of these guys are Miura. Different sides of the same guy? Different guys altogether? Dunno. But his name is definitely there in the top right.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I really like the artwork he did! thanks walter.

And now you implanted the thought of maybe the group meeting/befriending a dwarf! it'd be nice.

AHH THAT IS SO CUTE!! Might this be Miura giving us a secret preview of life in Elfhelm? :troll:
Thanks for posting Walter!

My Japanese is so rusty I can't translate the bottom drawing that well. But it is showing more than one side of Miura. The top is him as a Go player , the bottom is him as a mangaka. He is saying "いつのまにかネタになって光栄" which google translates as "Honored to become a story all too soon". Totally makes sense!

Sammoniac

You taffers!
The dwarf is so awesome.. just look at his face! The beard and mustache are just perfect. We definitely need one for Berserk too! Let's hope that elves and dwarves coexist in Elfhelm. :iva:

Wow that's awesome! It's the Band of The Bunny! That attire that the Falconian wings are on looks almost pope-like.

I can't get over the Dwarf's expression, he just looks so jazzed and ready to go. :ganishka:

Thanks Walter!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Obviously, it's depicting that series' characters in Berserk's Fantasia. Aaaaand there's a dwarf! Berserk's first true dwarf designs, confirmed? :badbone: The girl on the far right also has a Falconian wing crest on her hat... Interesting.

I think all the characters' designs are meant to be variations of Berserk equivalents, it's pretty cute. And I guess that does mean we might get some similar-looking dwarves! No doubt they'll find a kindred spirit in Azan's stout self. :azan:

Walter said:
Also of note in the issue was this, which was associated with March's 100th episode. Either one or all three of these guys are Miura. Different sides of the same guy? Different guys altogether? Dunno. But his name is definitely there in the top right.

The guy in the forefront is called Dobashi Kenji (土橋健司). He's a character from March comes in like a Lion, a level 9 shôgi player. He says his models are two people named Miura. In the lower right corner is Miura Kentarou (三浦建太郎), the mangaka we know and love. On the top right is Miura Hiroyuki (三浦弘行), a professional go player.

In the little blurb Kentarou Miura's character says something akin to "it's an honor for me to be featured here without noticing it."

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I think all the characters' designs are meant to be variations of Berserk equivalents, it's pretty cute. And I guess that does mean we might get some similar-looking dwarves! No doubt they'll find a kindred spirit in Azan's stout self. :azan:

Indeed, I don't necessarily expect the designs shown in this little tribute to translate directlyinto the series or anything, but I do think it gives us a good idea of where his headspace is at, in terms of populating Fantasia.

Regarding Azan, it was my first thought as well, hehe. :azan: : "MY BROTHERS!"

The guy in the forefront is called Dobashi Kenji (土橋健司). He's a character from March comes in like a Lion, a level 9 shôgi player. He says his models are two people named Miura. In the lower right corner is Miura Kentarou (三浦建太郎), the mangaka we know and love. On the top right is Miura Hiroyuki (三浦弘行), a professional go player.

Thanks for clarifying. Always cool to see other people's interpretations of Miura.

In the little blurb Kentarou Miura's character says something akin to "it's an honor for me to be featured here without noticing it."

He's way too humble... Later on in YA, there's an interview with another of his friends, the guy who made Cestus. There's been a series of these the past 2-3 issues. Would be great if Miura did that kind of thing from time to time.

Thanks for the translation and clarification Aaz.
I can't stop looking back at Miura's illustration and imagining what we'll be seeing in upcoming episodes. I'm stating the obvious here, but he really has a knack for depicting the fantastical. He is very versatile with his drawing style as well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I think the real issue is being overlooked here, which is the renewed notion that Miura and Chica might be getting it on. :carcus:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Perhaps it's time for Skullknight.net to open a Chica Umino subforum to match the subforum Miura has created for her in his heart. ♥

Really psyched about that whole illustration, though. And with only one week until the next episode! :beast:

Top Bottom