Is hot food addictive?

So yesterday I bought a bottle of Tabasco and had it in my food, and then I wanted it in every meal the rest of the day.

So fucking awesome. Is it addictive or what? The thought of not having it in my food just made the food feel less fun..

I felt the need.... the need for tabasco.... more tabasco... sacrifice... :beast:

No but seriously do you get hooked on spicy food and will it lead to tolerance => wanting more spicy foods?

What did you use it on? You should give their other flavors a shot too, they may not be as spicy but it's fun to try or experiment over scrambled eggs or a burrito, etc. It really depends on the kind of food I'm eating. Sriracha has become very popular in the past 3/4 years here in NY.

RanShi said:
So fucking awesome. Is it addictive or what? The thought of not having it in my food just made the food feel less fun..

I hear you there. Right now I have roughly five different hot sauces and at least six hot seasonings and dried chili flakes that I use all the time. I love the heat.

RanShi said:
No but seriously do you get hooked on spicy food and will it lead to tolerance => wanting more spicy foods?

You can get "hooked" in the sense that you enjoy spicy food and want more of it. But that's true of any food.

IncantatioN said:
What did you use it on? You should give their other flavors a shot too, they may not be as spicy but it's fun to try or experiment over scrambled eggs or a burrito, etc. It really depends on the kind of food I'm eating. Sriracha has become very popular in the past 3/4 years here in NY.

I use the standard one and the green pepper mild one (for pussies, but I love pussy so who cares), on rice n chicken, rice n beef and eggs before bed. What's Sriracha? I live in Sweden.... :ganishka:

Skeleton said:
I hear you there. Right now I have roughly five different hot sauces and at least six hot seasonings and dried chili flakes that I use all the time. I love the heat.

You can get "hooked" in the sense that you enjoy spicy food and want more of it. But that's true of any food.

Oh shit... I'll be Guts, you be Skull Knight... of hot sauce... yeah, but it's true what you're sayin, I guess the enjoyment is the thing here. I eat pretty strictly because of my training, so that makes the hot sauce more like a treat and even more precious to me :guts:

Sammoniac

You taffers!
I too love spicy stuff. People laugh at me when they see my french toasts in the morning. No peanut butter, no jelly, no honey. Real men eat toasts with butter, pepper and crushed red chili pepper flakes. Also, if you like cream cheese, try a toast with cream cheese and cover it with fresh pepper. The pepper won't be overwhelming because of the cheese's consistency. And oh, don't forget to put tabasco in your soup, you'll love it (although if the soup is too hot you'll look like this while eating it ; :mozgus: ).

RanShi said:
What's Sriracha? I live in Sweden.... :ganishka:

Sriracha is a red sauce that is available in most if not all Thai restaurants in Sweden (I live in Sweden too :slan:). I myself am on a Sriracha kick lately.

Another favorite of mine is Valentina: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentina_%28hot_sauce%29

As to your question, I think you can get hooked on hot food and sauces. There's some dishes I can't imagine having without Sriracha or Valentina.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I'm on the same page here guys. I have around 5 hot sauces in my cupboard and put them on almost everything. I really love this sauce a friend brought me from Mexico and I'm almost out, time to get them to visit again. :griffnotevil:

m said:
Sriracha is a red sauce that is available in most if not all Thai restaurants in Sweden (I live in Sweden too :slan:). I myself am on a Sriracha kick lately.

Another favorite of mine is Valentina: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentina_%28hot_sauce%29

As to your question, I think you can get hooked on hot food and sauces. There's some dishes I can't imagine having without Sriracha or Valentina.

Dude, you're a bad influence on me..gonna have to check this out :void: btw, you from Stockholm too?

m said:

Valentina is great. Do they have the different kinds of it in Sweden? Because the black label one (the extra hot version) is pretty solid.

If they sell it over there you should try out a sauce called Cholula. I didn't like it much when I first tried it, but it grew on me quickly. Now I consider it my favorite out of all the Mexican hot sauces I have tried.

Dar Klink said:
I'm on the same page here guys. I have around 5 hot sauces in my cupboard and put them on almost everything. I really love this sauce a friend brought me from Mexico and I'm almost out, time to get them to visit again. :griffnotevil:

What's the name of the sauce? If I haven't had it before I'd love to hunt it down and try it out!

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Skeleton said:
What's the name of the sauce? If I haven't had it before I'd love to hunt it down and try it out!

Salsa Habanera from Castillo Salsas. I really need to find a place in the States to buy it.

Dar Klink said:
Salsa Habanera from Castillo Salsas. I really need to find a place in the States to buy it.

Thanks! I haven't heard of that one before. I'll have to scurry around this weekend and try to find some.

RanShi said:
Dude, you're a bad influence on me..gonna have to check this out :void: btw, you from Stockholm too?

Nope, I'm in Gothenburg.

I don't know if you can find them at some stores over there, but you can find both Sriracha and Valentina at Extreme Food (http://www.extremefood.se)

Skeleton said:
Valentina is great. Do they have the different kinds of it in Sweden? Because the black label one (the extra hot version) is pretty solid.

Yep, we can get both the regular and the black label Valentina, and I completely agree with you. :serpico: I actually never found it as hot as advertised, though.

Skeleton said:
If they sell it over there you should try out a sauce called Cholula. I didn't like it much when I first tried it, but it grew on me quickly. Now I consider it my favorite out of all the Mexican hot sauces I have tried.

I'll see if we can get if here to give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

This is kinda like me and "Red Hot" hot sauce, I can seriously put that stuff on just about anything and eat it. :ganishka: Beyond that it really does enhance the taste of the food so that's a plus.

m said:
Yep, we can get both the regular and the black label Valentina, and I completely agree with you. :serpico:

Cool stuff! There are whispered rumors around these parts that Sweden is heaven on earth. Seeing that you guys have access to good hot sauce, the rumors may be true. :serpico:

m said:
I actually never found it as hot as advertised, though.

Same here. To be honest I haven't really found a hot sauce that I've thought was actually hot so when I give thumbs up on sauces it's usually for taste alone. I usually have to get my heat from cajun seasoning (specifically Slap Ya Mama Hot Blend).

I find the original Red Hot flavor to be mild. Slap Ya Mama Hot Blend looks interesting. Around December I was at a BBQ restaurant and they had a hot wing challenge. Curiosity got me to try the sauce before taking the challenge on, poked a tooth-pick (like the edge of the tooth-pick) in that sauce and it burnt my throat/ upper palette. The restaurant have had instances where paramedics were brought in when people passed out =_=' .... oh boy.

RanShi said:
So yesterday I bought a bottle of Tabasco and had it in my food, and then I wanted it in every meal the rest of the day.

That's funny, hot sauce was a really popular item during my 2nd tour of duty. Guys would ask for their families back home to send them hot sauce so they could mix it in with the MREs, and God knows you needed something like hot sauce to make those things taste better lol. But yeah not using hot sauce for a while after using it for such a long time feels kind of weird.

And then there was that guy who mixed it in with his raisin bran... :mozgus:

In general, anything that gives us pleasure can easily become addicting. If we find the taste of spices and spicy foods pleasurable, we will want more of them. And yeah, I have found a tolerance does build up and you can use more and more spice/hot sauce. However, I reached a point (I can handle a LOT of spice) where I cut back on spice, or took it out entirely in some dishes, because I used so much spice in my foods that I could no longer taste the other ingredients. Eventually I wanted the taste of the other ingredients, which were more satisfying again.

Top Bottom