Do you think Casca will be cured soon?

We have been waiting since 1999! I still remember the moment of sanity Casca had in the Sword of the Berserk video game. I really wish that story would have been in the manga, it would have been a nice filler arc in my opinion. Anyway, it finally seems that Elfhelm will be appearing very soon! Even this summer! I am optimistic because Casca is my favorite character and I think she will be restored to her former awesome self! Of course it is hard to predict what will really happen. All I'm hoping for is that she is cured. Now that Elfhelm is finally nearing what do you guys think will happen?

I know it's been talked about before but I still wonder about the meaning of Skull Knight's "There's no guarantee her wish will be your wish" line (Dark Horse) from volume 28. I was thinking even though Casca would want revenge against Griffith as well, maybe she wouldn't want to risk their lives going after him and stay somewhere safe, preferably with the Moonlight Boy? That's probably not right either but I'm not sure, although I imagine something will come of this.

Tama said:
I know it's been talked about before but I still wonder about the meaning of Skull Knight's "There's no guarantee her wish will be your wish" line (Dark Horse) from volume 28. I was thinking even though Casca would want revenge against Griffith as well, maybe she wouldn't want to risk their lives going after him and stay somewhere safe, preferably with the Moonlight Boy? That's probably not right either but I'm not sure, although I imagine something will come of this.

It's hard to say. I think that Casca will definitely want revenge, I mean SHE was the commander of the Band of the Hawk for a whole year after Griffith was gone. It's extremely hard to predict... because it's so complex. There's the fetus that was absorbed into Griffith's vessel. In the manga Griffith expresses confusion that he has a heartbeat and says "his blood should have been frozen". So it is really a mystery what the implications of that will be, as well as the fetus's connection to the moonlight child. Either way, Casca is an extremely important character, since people who survive the brand are extremely important. I am obsessively hoping that by July or August Casca will be cured. Please Miura please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I really hate when people say "Casca will join Griffith" these are usually disgusting and insensitive people who have only seen the anime. In the manga Casca is definitely pissed off at Griffith during the eclipse while Pippin and Judeau are saving her and she expresses that she can't believe Griffith would do this. So there is no way in hell that Casca would just go and join Griffith.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Tama said:
I still wonder about the meaning of Skull Knight's "There's no guarantee her wish will be your wish" line (Dark Horse)

Sure, we all are. It's still a mystery. But I tend to think it will be that Casca won't want to immediately rush off for revenge like Guts did. She might be ready to lay her sword down, even after everything she's been through. Of course, that predicament will be further complicated in the future, once they realize the implications of their child on Griffith.

stay somewhere safe, preferably with the Moonlight Boy?

Well... since Griffith and Guts'/Casca's son share a body, that be difficult.

Well... since Griffith and Guts'/Casca's son share a body, that be difficult.

Oh, I so wonder what Guts' reaction to that will be. The moment when Guts thinks back somewhat positively about the (back then still) demon child and wonders where he is was heartbreaking to me as a reader, who has more knowledge of the situation than Guts.

I think it's a better idea for Miura to not mangle the cure of Casca and the Moonlight boy revelation into one part of the story, I'd rather see them consecutively and not at the same time. I think both Casca and Guts will have enough crap to go through once she is cured (so yes, I think she most definitely will see some kind of cure in Fantasia), they don't need the revelation that their worst enemy, the cause of their pain and suffering is now incarnated in their child's body, on top of that. :sad:

I'm mostly thinking about Guts, since I don't have a good prediction for how Casca will react to awakening. I think Guts needs a happy break, if only for a few days or so, to replenish his drive.

I still wonder about the meaning of Skull Knight's "There's no guarantee her wish will be your wish" line (Dark Horse)

First I took that to mean that she might not want to get her memory back because of how traumatic it was, especially since I think I remember Guts thinking something along the lines of "She couldn't cope with it, so she was broken" (my translation of local German translation) but what Walter says seems more logical to me. But then again, if Casca is anything like she was back then, wouldn't she be furiously angry very much like Guts? I wonder if she will refuse to enable Guts' quest for revenge because she sees in what a miserable state fighting the apostles is bringing him. Enough speculated rambling from me now. :ubik:

In the tower of conviction Casca seemed to have some kind of hexing powers over the souls that were after the brand so it would be cool if she could use those in battle

rashikal said:
In the tower of conviction Casca seemed to have some kind of hexing powers over the souls that were after the brand so it would be cool if she could use those in battle

She doesn't. The Demon Child has to protect her from them more than once, for one thing. Then the heretics in the cave see her reaching and flailing in the air for her child that had just disappeared and mistake her for a witch that had conjured the ghosts. They show up because of the brand, she has no power over them.

rashikal said:

That would not even make any sense given the nature of the brand and what we know of Casca pre-Eclipse and post-Eclipse. :???:

If Casca gets a magic powerup, then I hope it is not "cheap". The Berserker armor comes at a massive price. Isidro's dagger is not powerful enough to decide large battles and Serpico's sword can also only do limited (if very cool) things. If Casca gets a powerup, then I trust her will fit her personality and not re-invent it. But that is very far out there, I think. The group has not reached the island yet, not even mentioning getting Casca her memory back. :p And since hopefully nobody thinks that current Casca needs a powerup (or for that matter CAN get a relevant one), I think it's very thin ice to speculate there.

I'd like to know though, whether you guys think that the cure will be semi-instantaneous once it happens (i.e. She snaps out of insanity and is hit with everything at once - yikes) or if it will come back slowly in fragments. I know that we have no grounds to go on, so I'd like to know what you'd feel would be better story-wise?

It is possible that this page has some relevance to Casca's condition.

9ba5be137ff26de0f3faba00b5b4b9aa.png

And in the Sword of the Berserk when Casca woke up for a second she said "Guts my dear, I had a really bad dream"

The translation was probably bad, but from what I understand the game was written by Miura so maybe she is in a dreamlike state like how Schierke is when she is summoning the spirits.

So to answer your question, I think MAYBE it will be like the Flower Storm King has a special ritual to wake Casca up like how Schierke has to wake up by tapping the wand 7-7-7 times.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and I'm sure the Flower Storm King has some even better powerups and trinkets than Flora did! :iva:

It is really just too painful to think about how awesome Casca could be with her memory restored and magical powerups. but it might not happen :judo: :sad:

if Casca doesn't get revived at Elfhelm I will be :???: really upset

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
rashikal said:
I still remember the moment of sanity Casca had in the Sword of the Berserk video game. I really wish that story would have been in the manga, it would have been a nice filler arc in my opinion.

A "filler arc" (although in this case it was a chapter) is pretty much antonymous with "nice".

rashikal said:
Now that Elfhelm is finally nearing what do you guys think will happen?

I think Casca will be cured.

rashikal said:
There's the fetus that was absorbed into Griffith's vessel. In the manga Griffith expresses confusion that he has a heartbeat and says "his blood should have been frozen". So it is really a mystery what the implications of that will be, as well as the fetus's connection to the moonlight child.

The Demon Child wasn't "absorbed" into a vessel, he IS the vessel. His body was taken over and used to create a new Griffith body for Femto. As for the connexion with the Moonlight Boy I think it's pretty clear that they're one and the same. The real question is how does the Femto/Boy symbiosis work.

rashikal said:
I am obsessively hoping that by July or August Casca will be cured. Please Miura please!

You should probably slow down a bit.

MrMehawk said:
If Casca gets a magic powerup, then I hope it is not "cheap". The Berserker armor comes at a massive price. Isidro's dagger is not powerful enough to decide large battles and Serpico's sword can also only do limited (if very cool) things. If Casca gets a powerup, then I trust her will fit her personality and not re-invent it.

Well first I take exception to the term "power-up", since we're not talking about video games here. Second, I think it's obvious that if Casca were to receive some new equipment or learn new skills it would be done intelligently, much like everything else has been so far in the series.

rashikal said:
It is possible that this page has some relevance to Casca's condition.

No, I don't think so. The processes involved are not the same at all, and I don't believe that Casca's spirit was taken away from her body. Her condition is likely psychological in nature.

rashikal said:
maybe she is in a dreamlike state like how Schierke is when she is summoning the spirits.

Schierke enters a trance when she's summoning, because her astral self leaves her corporeal body. Casca however is in a regressed state. She's awake and all, just not sane. It's completely different.

rashikal said:
So to answer your question, I think MAYBE it will be like the Flower Storm King has a special ritual to wake Casca up

Well that's not really up in the air. The Skull Knight told Guts directly in volume 28 that the King of the Flower Storm could be able to cure her.

Well first I take exception to the term "power-up", since we're not talking about video games here. Second, I think it's obvious that if Casca were to receive some new equipment or learn new skills it would be done intelligently, much like everything else has been so far in the series.

What would you have me call it then? :p The only other term I can think of is upgrade or boost but those have the same ring to me as power-up does. I guess we could just say "get magic weapons/armor" instead but that is a bit lengthy.

I agree with your expectation of it being done intelligently. I don't doubt Miura's storytelling capabilities, I am simply overworrying because I have seen lots of new abilities or skills change the power balance too quickly for my liking (in other series - not Berserk). That is too far away to talk about anyways, right now Casca needs cure, not power.

Alucroas

Abomination
No, I don't think so. The processes involved are not the same at all, and I don't believe that Casca's spirit was taken away from her body. Her condition is likely psychological in nature.

What I believe the guy meant was during the ritual, there might be a chance that Casca could lose her mind to the astral realm, as there is likely going to be some form of magic involved in restoring her back to full mental health. We don't know what the actual process is when it comes to restoring a person's mental health using magic, but basically performing surgery on Casca's mind through those means is likely to involve at least some sort of risk.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
MrMehawk said:
What would you have me call it then? :p The only other term I can think of is upgrade or boost but those have the same ring to me as power-up does. I guess we could just say "get magic weapons/armor" instead but that is a bit lengthy.

That's actually more accurate though. When you talk of a power-up, what it brings to mind is an instant surge of power that makes someone much more formidable. It's appropriate for the mushrooms in Super Mario Bros, but here we're talking about maybe getting a piece of equipment that would take time to master, or learning a skill. If you think about it, even in video games (RPGs) those aren't actually called by that name. And as you've mentioned yourself, equipment like what Isidro or Serpico were given don't result in a world-shaking shift of balance. Rather, as we saw, both Isidro and Serpico messed up with them at first, and they have not come any closer to being "overpowered" since then.

The problem with the word "power-up" is that it inherently implies a form of "cheapness" in the way it works (instant power boost), in the very way the word is constructed actually (typical Japanese use of English). And that doesn't fit with how things are done in Berserk.

Alucroas said:
What I believe the guy meant was during the ritual, there might be a chance that Casca could lose her mind to the astral realm, as there is likely going to be some form of magic involved in restoring her back to full mental health.

I'm pretty sure he meant just what's written in his post...

Alucroas

Abomination
I'm pretty sure he meant just what's written in his post...

Well, in that case, I'll take up what I said and put it forth as my own theory.

I do believe that using magic to restore Casca's mind will have some risk involved, and there may need to be a procedure, or failsafe of some kind to make sure that her mind doesn't get lost to the astral realm in the process as this will likely involve a form of magic that deals with the mind. And as we've been shown many times before, magic is very much a mental act in Berserk, and therefore using magic to restore one's mental health could yield some significant danger.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Alucroas said:
I do believe that using magic to restore Casca's mind will have some risk involved, and there may need to be a procedure, or failsafe of some kind to make sure that her mind doesn't get lost to the astral realm in the process as this will likely involve a form of magic that deals with the mind. And as we've been shown many times before, magic is very much a mental act in Berserk, and therefore using magic to restore one's mental health could yield some significant danger.

Well, we don't know yet what the process will involve, but I think it's a safe bet that it won't be as simple as the King of the Flower Storm snapping his fingers. One of the ways in which I've recurringly envisioned it over the years is Guts having to delve into her mind to "rescue" her.

Alucroas

Abomination
Aazealh said:
Well, we don't know yet what the process will involve, but I think it's a safe bet that it won't be as simple as the King of the Flower Storm snapping his fingers. One of the ways in which I've recurringly envisioned it over the years is Guts having to delve into her mind to "rescue" her.

As much as I love Schierke, despite what others may think, I believe it'd be more appropriate if Farnese was the one to aid Guts through the process. It would be a grand test for herself, display how far she's come, and lend valuable insight as to why Guts deems Casca as his true love, and finally allow her to get over all these stupid and unreciprocated feelings she has toward him.

Forgive the small tangent. The point is that Guts wouldn't be able to do something like that, not on his own anyway. He'd need help.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Alucroas said:
As much as I love Schierke, despite what others may think, I believe it'd be more appropriate if Farnese was the one to aid Guts through the process.

I think it's going to the King of the Flower Storm...

I never thought about Guts going into Casca's mind to rescue her. That would be pretty cool to see if something like that does happen.

Alucroas

Abomination
Aazealh said:
I think it's going to the King of the Flower Storm...

I'm not debating whether or not the King of the Flower Storm will be involved. There's no doubt in my mind that he will be. My opinion is that while he may be the primary "man in charge of the operation", Farnese or Schierke may be involved as additional "aids/assistants" because they know Guts and Casca better than the KoFS.

Moreover I just think it'd wrong for them to not have any sort of involvement in the actual event as they have both been the two major members of Guts' crew when it comes to aiding and taking care of her. Plus there's the fact that Casca feels most comfortable around Farnese, potentially having adapted her as a surrogate mother of sorts that may need to be around in order to keep her calm throughout the ordeal, though that could and probably will fall into Guts' lap at the end of the day.

The point is I don't think it's right to simply leave them out of the equation and "dismiss" them so-to-speak.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Alucroas said:
I'm not debating whether or not the King of the Flower Storm will be involved. There's no doubt in my mind that he will be. My opinion is that while he may be the primary "man in charge of the operation", Farnese or Schierke may be involved as additional "aids/assistants"

It could be, but the thing is, it's probably going to be a very personal experience, and I imagine her rape will be featured prominently as part of the traumatism she needs to overcome. I'm not sure it'd be proper for Farnese or Schierke to witness that. Furthermore, the Casca that would have to be brought back would technically not be familiar with Farnese, since she's been absent for years now, confined somewhere deep inside her mind.

Top Bottom