Do you think Casca will be cured soon?

Hm, reading this topic I get an awkward feeling, that Guts could do better trying to find a cure for Casca;
1. If Schierke has no problem with diving into Guts' consciousness, why doesn't she try to dive into Casca's? It's possible everywhere, not only on Skellig.
2. Remember Sword of Berserk's plot - canonic, written by Miura? In this game Casca had a glimpse of consciousness, because she ate/assimilated in other way, I don't remember, the mandrake. Now I think why didn't Guts cling to that idea, which would be perfect temporary cure for Casca, keeping her lucid and sane during the way to Skellig - their adventure would be safer, faster, and less Beast of Darkness-stimulating.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
slothqueen said:
Hm, reading this topic I get an awkward feeling, that Guts could do better trying to find a cure for Casca

He's going to the legendary leader of the world's foremost healing experts. I'd say that's pretty good.

slothqueen said:
1. If Schierke has no problem with diving into Guts' consciousness, why doesn't she try to dive into Casca's? It's possible everywhere, not only on Skellig.

Schierke didn't dive into Guts' consciousness, she rescued it from the raging fire of the Berserk armor's Od (that's what she dove into). She saw some of his memories along the way because they were what fueled the fire. You're clearly not understanding the processes involved here.

slothqueen said:
2. Remember Sword of Berserk's plot - canonic, written by Miura? In this game Casca had a glimpse of consciousness, because she ate/assimilated in other way, I don't remember, the mandrake. Now I think why didn't Guts cling to that idea, which would be perfect temporary cure for Casca, keeping her lucid and sane during the way to Skellig - their adventure would be safer, faster, and less Beast of Darkness-stimulating.

If you don't remember something, then you should check it out before posting. Casca was absorbed by a Mandragora apostle. The Mandragora altered normal people's consciousness throughout the game (turning them into witless, docile beings until interfered with), and after being rescued by Guts from that apostle, Casca was lucid for a few seconds. That's it. It was definitely not a proper solution given the steps involved, not sustainable, and the apostle was dead anyway. Oh and the game's plot was not integrated into the manga, so it's not really canon.

Aazealh said:
He's going to the legendary leader of the world's foremost healing experts. I'd say that's pretty good.
Yes, it's awesome, but he pounced on it like drowning man, and Miura didn't show us any other Guts' try to find another way. I meant he found one idea and treated it like his only hope. It's not quite natural.

Aazealh said:
Schierke didn't dive into Guts' consciousness, she rescued it from the raging fire of the Berserk armor's Od (that's what she dove into). She saw some of his memories along the way because they were what fueled the fire. You're clearly not understanding the processes involved here.
Thanks, I didn't know it before. :>

About mandragora apostle - yes, I mistook it too. I thought Balzac has been treating his wife with usual mandrake - a plant, not a part of that apostle. You are right.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
slothqueen said:
Yes, it's awesome, but he pounced on it like drowning man, and Miura didn't show us any other Guts' try to find another way. I meant he found one idea and treated it like his only hope. It's not quite natural.

Guts didn't think there was a way to cure her. He was seeking out Elfhelm as a place of solace and protection for her. The Skull Knight simultaneously informed Guts of a possibility of her being restored and the means for it in the same conversation. Why should he have rejected that advice out of hand, from a trusted advisor? Should he instead seek out an herbal remedy? Cut three bushels of honeyroot leaves, pumice them into a powder, then boil over steamed milk and injest 3x daily until symptoms relieve themselves?

What other solution would have been "natural?"

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
slothqueen said:

Like Walter said, you're operating under a wrong assumption. Guts didn't originally think there was a way to restore Casca's mind. How could he have known? He had tried to talk to her, to wait, and it didn't work. Not natural? I think it's quite natural on the contrary that he'd become somewhat resigned to her state after years of it not changing. What else was he supposed to do? Go see a neurologist?

So he took it upon himself to stay with her to protect her (which is really the best he could do), since she's mostly defenseless, and because they needed a safe place they started journeying towards Elfhelm. Then, long after they had been on their trip, the Skull Knight informed Guts that there was a chance for her to be cured.

Moreover, putting all that aside: it actually is his only hope.

There's something that's been bugging me about the nature of Casca's madness. While she does not act hateful towards Guts, she distrusts him enough that she'd edge off the prow of a ship just to get away from him. It's an honestly reasonable reaction given what transpired before he gathered some new comrades. What I really wonder about though is how she adoringly gazed at Griffith when he rescued her at the Sword Hill. We've seen incidents that triggered past memories of her trauma so one must wonder just why she did freak out as all hell when she encountered the very man who betrayed her trust and raped her. One would think that the pain in her Brand at least would have triggered a flashback (wait did they show her Brand reacting to post reborn Griffith?).

Now a lot things could explain her reaction to Griffith. The simplest is that it was his supernatural glamor that even Ganishka had trouble resisting. The other is that she was just reacting to her son's presence in Griffith. Still, the stark contrast between how Casca reacts to Griffith and how she now reacts to Guts is pretty jarring. It makes me wonder if it has anything to do with the cryptic foreshadowing that the Skullknight gave to Guts. You know? The bit about how what she wants might not be what he wants?

It makes me wonder if her madness is not so much about what happened to her as it is who did it to her.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Red Dingo said:
There's something that's been bugging me about the nature of Casca's madness. While she does not act hateful towards Guts, she distrusts him enough that she'd edge off the prow of a ship just to get away from him.

She just falls, not realizing the danger she was in. Note her mystified look as she's falling and Guts is reaching out. It's not like she was thinking: "I hate you enough to fall into the ocean!"

What I really wonder about though is how she adoringly gazed at Griffith when he rescued her at the Sword Hill.

You mean when she was responding to sensing her son? That's what sends her seeking out the guest on the Hill of Swords, afterall. And it's a mischaracterization to describe her look as an "adoring gaze." She's clearly perplexed why she's sensing her son in this man with a mop for a head, while her brand gushes blood and she sheds tears.

We've seen incidents that triggered past memories of her trauma so one must wonder just why she did freak out as all hell when she encountered the very man who betrayed her trust and raped her.

She... didn't freak out. Or is that a typo on your part? If so, what you're suggesting requires that she has faculties enough to know who did what to her. Which would mean she can recognize identities. Which means she would recognize Guts. But she doesn't. Her flashbacks in the past have been triggered by physical touch and restraint.

One would think that the pain in her Brand at least would have triggered a flashback (wait did they show her Brand reacting to post reborn Griffith?).

Of course it reacted. Couldn't you have consulted the volume yourself before posting...?

Now a lot things could explain her reaction to Griffith. The simplest is that it was his supernatural glamor that even Ganishka had trouble resisting.

Ganishka was reacting as an evil being in the presence of an even greater evil being, one whose existence resonates with apostles. The phenomenon was described in detail by Ganishka in episode 231.

The other is that she was just reacting to her son's presence in Griffith.

Ding ding ding.

Still, the stark contrast between how Casca reacts to Griffith and how she now reacts to Guts is pretty jarring.

Well, it's because she's reacting to her son, seeking him out, exactly as she reacts to him in volume 18.

It makes me wonder if her madness is not so much about what happened to her as it is who did it to her.

I don't see the reason to segregate the two things. What happened to her and who did it to her are equally horrifying.

Anyway, Skull Knight's cryptic line could mean a huge number of things. It could be that she remains in this state by choice, not wanting to face reality any longer. Like many things in the series, it's a riddle that can't yet be solved.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Red Dingo said:
There's something that's been bugging me about the nature of Casca's madness. While she does not act hateful towards Guts, she distrusts him enough that she'd edge off the prow of a ship just to get away from him. It's an honestly reasonable reaction given what transpired before he gathered some new comrades. What I really wonder about though is how she adoringly gazed at Griffith when he rescued her at the Sword Hill. We've seen incidents that triggered past memories of her trauma so one must wonder just why she did freak out as all hell when she encountered the very man who betrayed her trust and raped her. One would think that the pain in her Brand at least would have triggered a flashback (wait did they show her Brand reacting to post reborn Griffith?).

To add to what Walter said, Casca's case is really quite simple to understand:

1) She has no recollection of anyone prior to her illness.
2) She instinctively distrusts all men.
3) She's able to sense her son through her Brand, and is naturally drawn toward him when she does.

That behavior has been consistent throughout the series. Her reaction to Griffith in volume 22 (who, just so it's clear, is Femto having overtaken her son's body) is the same as her reaction to the Demon Child earlier on, and to the Moonlight Boy later on. She knows it is her son, no matter what he looks like. This is meant to be puzzling to Guts, but not to the reader.

Pardon me if this has been discussed, but I was wondering about something... what if, to treat Casca's mental condition, the elf king erases her memories up until pre-eclipse, or somehow makes her forget. Imagine the scenario of Guts trying to fill her in to what is going on thus far, and her utter disbelief might drive her to resent Guts or even crazier, return to Griffith's side.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
CrimsonBehelit216 said:
Pardon me if this has been discussed, but I was wondering about something... what if, to treat Casca's mental condition, the elf king erases her memories up until pre-eclipse, or somehow makes her forget.

So she'd still have her memories of falling in love with Guts, and Griffith being a crippled man, but nothing after? Won't be too hard to convince her Griffith is pretty evil (or at the very least, something suspect) when she shows up on Falconia's stoop and Griffith is walking and talking and summoning up the spirits of the recently deceased... Oh, and he's the leader of an army of monsters.

Or did you have an earlier (and arbitrary) cut off point in mind?

CrimsonBehelit216 said:
Imagine the scenario of Guts trying to fill her in to what is going on thus far, and her utter disbelief might drive her to resent Guts or even crazier, return to Griffith's side.

Why are so many people hung up on this scenario???

CrimsonBehelit216 said:
Pardon me if this has been discussed, but I was wondering about something... what if, to treat Casca's mental condition, the elf king erases her memories up until pre-eclipse, or somehow makes her forget. Imagine the scenario of Guts trying to fill her in to what is going on thus far, and her utter disbelief might drive her to resent Guts or even crazier, return to Griffith's side.

Far from it, I think restoring her mind will involve helping her accept what happened to her.

No doubt, informing her about what happened will be some hefty drama but I think it will fuel her desire to take back what Femto stole from her.

Getting her true self back involves connecting to the part of her that knows Guts

I have a question. How the living hell would the elf king or guts be able to do that? I guess we are going under the assumption that Guts is going to (with the help of the elf king) pull a Schierke and dive into her mind, but when he is there, what iis he going to say or do? Would the act of entering into her mind be enough to jog enough of her self for her to even recoginize Guts? Or will it take more manipulation then that. Why id there an assumption that restoring her mind will involve her remembering Guts at all. Guts is not the reason she went insane. It is Griffith. Why do people assume that remembering Guts personly is going to (or should0 play a significant role in Casca returing? Wouldn't remembering the eclipse and the rape (the actual things that made her lose it) be the actual things that will factor into her remembering herself?

Also wityh all this taken into consideration, why it it a thing that some people specualate that she would side with Griffith or go running off to his side?

Another question, has any one considered twhat incentive the elf king has to even do any of this for Casca and Guts? Simply because he is able to does not mean he will really want to. I think Guts is going to jhave to make another devestating sarcifice for Casca's sake before all this is over...

Delta Phi said:
Why are so many people hung up on this scenario???

I think it's because people are convinced that Casca being cured is just too good to be true - that it must be subverted somehow, because Berserk is such a dark series or something like that.

Casca remaining insane or in denial doesn't make much sense to me. It seems both redundant for the narrative and limited in storytelling possibilities.

Lets assume for a second that all goes according to plan. They get there and then oops, your woman is screwed. What if there is no payoff and its all about safety and security for her? Lets run with this scenario. Do you think guts can live like this and be content OR will his rage increase and set one last bloody adventure into place that kills him? I know that isn't likely but if she really cant be cured and its all a big disappointment, I'd love to see the direction it goes from there. Maybe he finds a way to kill Femto by giving in to the beast in some way and as he lies dying from his wounds, casca breaks free and wonders where he is? Ouch. Yea I know probably not but the kick in the groin would be present.

bandofthehawk said:
Lets assume for a second that all goes according to plan. They get there and then oops, your woman is screwed. What if there is no payoff and its all about safety and security for her? Lets run with this scenario. Do you think guts can live like this and be content OR will his rage increase and set one last bloody adventure into place that kills him? I know that isn't likely but if she really cant be cured and its all a big disappointment, I'd love to see the direction it goes from there. Maybe he finds a way to kill Femto by giving in to the beast in some way and as he lies dying from his wounds, casca breaks free and wonders where he is? Ouch. Yea I know probably not but the kick in the groin would be present.

No offense, but that doesn't make any sense. After all those episodes why would it all be worthless? Why would Skull Knight even mention that Casca could be cured by the elf king if it was for nothing? I don't wanna picture it not only because I don't want that to happen but due to the fact that I strongly believe Casca will be cured for the reasons above.

clos de knight said:
I think it's because people are convinced that Casca being cured is just too good to be true - that it must be subverted somehow, because Berserk is such a dark series or something like that.

Casca remaining insane or in denial doesn't make much sense to me. It seems both redundant for the narrative and limited in storytelling possibilities.

ANd yet that is exactly what Miura has done with Casca's character for over a decade now. I always thought what was done to Casca was pretty limiting to the story and really...has dragged on past the point where her condition has any emotional impact any more. It's just annoying at this point. And yet I can't help but feel that this whole cure thing is going to subverted . Because really, it does sound way to good to be true. Guts just wants it too bad for it to just go right for him. I don't even feel like Miura has put any positive build up that Casca is really going to be cured. For one thing Miura has way to convenient of a plot device in Casca being damaged. The whole story-line (Guts any way) is wrapped up in Casca being messed up. Guts personal development, as well as his inner beast that manifests it self though the armor has happened in way or another either directly or indirectly because of Casca's condition. You think Miura is just going to phase out Guts inner beast issues by having Casca restored and give Guts inner peace and diffusing that fire? No, Guts inner beast deeply resent Casca because it sees her as an obstacle for going after Griffith and satisfying it's blood lust. It's a strange dualality Miura has written into the story that what he loves most and keeps him in check is also what he subconsciously resents and adds to his poor mental state. I don't think Miura is going to let go of that complexity by just having Casca cured and diffusing that with out throwing in some aspect to it that keeps that inner beast raging. Which would to my way of thinking would be Casca not reacting well to being brought back or doing something that feeds that sub-conscience resentment a dark place Guts has in him that resents Casca for keeping him from going after Griffith. Ultimately I think Miura intends for Casca to disappoint Guts. I know my line of thinking is cynical and people make the argument that Berserk's tone has lightened up over the years so we should not expect such a bleak out come but it is because things are lighter in tone that I feel things are about to get dark. Things were deceptively light between Casca and Guts right before the rescue of Griffith and then the eclipse happened. I mean I know we all want things to turn out nicely between Guts and Casca but Miura isn't writing a love story here, and I don't think he feels obligated to give us a happy reunion. As soon as it was revealed that there might be a cure for Casca doubt was thrown in with Skull Knight cryptic warning. That pretty much guarantees that things are not going to go down well when they reach the elf king.

I know alot of people are hoping for Casca to come back to her former amazonian glory from the golden age but I think that Casca is gone, and I know that fans are hoping she will be a positive influence in the story but I think the only support Guys is ever going to get at this point is from his new friends, and Casca is just going to serve to agitate Guts inner beast.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
haha I should introduce you to my friend. He is also in the league of "Casca is not going back to normal" which imo I don't approve. :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CrimsonBehelit216 said:

It has been discussed before but that's Ok. The problem with that idea is that even without her memories of the event, the truth of it is plain to see. She and Guts are branded, Guts' body bears witness to what he's endured, from her own body she could tell that years have passed, they will be on Skellig, there are plenty of people who could tell her about the trip to Elfhelm and the state of the world, etc. What exactly about all of that could make her resent Guts, the man she loved before the Eclipse occurred? And even more unlikely, why would she go to Griffith, and how would she do it? Lastly, remember that because of the Brand, she couldn't bear to stay next to Griffith for more than a few seconds, blood gushing out from her chest. And what of the apostle nest in the backyard? From a storytelling perspective, it would be nonsensical.

Hot Chic said:
How the living hell would the elf king or guts be able to do that? I guess we are going under the assumption that Guts is going to (with the help of the elf king) pull a Schierke and dive into her mind, but when he is there, what iis he going to say or do? Would the act of entering into her mind be enough to jog enough of her self for her to even recoginize Guts? Or will it take more manipulation then that.

Just to be precise, Schierke never went into anyone's mind. She rescued Guts' ego from the Od of the Berserk's armor, and while she was in that roaring inferno she saw some of his memories, those that fueled the fire of his rage.

Hot Chic said:
Why id there an assumption that restoring her mind will involve her remembering Guts at all. Guts is not the reason she went insane.

I don't think anyone really said that.

Hot Chic said:
Why do people assume that remembering Guts personly is going to (or should0 play a significant role in Casca returing? Wouldn't remembering the eclipse and the rape (the actual things that made her lose it) be the actual things that will factor into her remembering herself?

What I've personally speculated is that Guts, being the man she loves, could be a facilitator in getting her to accept that those events took place, to face them, however painful they are to her, and by doing so to regain her sanity. Of course that assumes that the cause of her current state is an inability to deal with said events.

Hot Chic said:
Another question, has any one considered twhat incentive the elf king has to even do any of this for Casca and Guts? Simply because he is able to does not mean he will really want to.

What incentive has Puck ever had to tag along with Guts and heal him everytime he gets hurt? Elves are fundamentally benevolent beings.

bandofthehawk said:
Lets assume for a second that all goes according to plan. They get there and then oops, your woman is screwed. What if there is no payoff and its all about safety and security for her? Lets run with this scenario. Do you think guts can live like this and be content OR will his rage increase and set one last bloody adventure into place that kills him? I know that isn't likely but if she really cant be cured and its all a big disappointment, I'd love to see the direction it goes from there.

I honestly don't see the interest in pursuing this kind of scenario.

bandofthehawk said:
Maybe he finds a way to kill Femto by giving in to the beast in some way and as he lies dying from his wounds, casca breaks free and wonders where he is? Ouch. Yea I know probably not but the kick in the groin would be present.

It's quite doubtful that just giving in to the Berserk's armor (since that's really what would be happening) would allow him to kill Femto.

Heavenly Maiden said:
ANd yet that is exactly what Miura has done with Casca's character for over a decade now. I always thought what was done to Casca was pretty limiting to the story and really...has dragged on past the point where her condition has any emotional impact any more. It's just annoying at this point. And yet I can't help but feel that this whole cure thing is going to subverted .

Casca's condition has been anything but detrimental to the story. On the contrary, it's been the main motivation behind Guts traveling all over the country, encountering new companions, new events and creatures, discovering the world and a lot of its mechanics (magic), acquiring new equipment... The list goes on. All of that was ever only possible because of Casca's condition. Had it been any different and it wouldn't have worked. It was the main drive behind a lot of the story development and Miura made sure to regularly remind the reader of it. Honestly I could write you an essay about it since there's so much to say, but at the same time to seems so obvious that I don't think I need to. Just think about it, about where Guts is now, and how he got there. Why he got there.

Anyway, it has indeed been going on for a long time, and so now the time comes for it to end. Which is why what you "feel" is very perplexing. Given your previous sentence, you're essentially saying that the story sucks, and that you expect it to suck even more going forward.

Heavenly Maiden said:
Because really, it does sound way to good to be true. Guts just wants it too bad for it to just go right for him.

I think you'll agree that this is not a rational argument. Going by that logic, Guts saving Casca during the Conviction arc was also "too good to be true". And yet he did.

Heavenly Maiden said:
I don't even feel like Miura has put any positive build up that Casca is really going to be cured.

I'd say the Skull Knight's mention of it was a pretty clear hint.

Heavenly Maiden said:
For one thing Miura has way to convenient of a plot device in Casca being damaged. The whole story-line (Guts any way) is wrapped up in Casca being messed up.

That's not true. Like I said above, a big part of the storyline has been driven by her condition, but that's definitely not all of it. And her return to normal would absolutely not hinder the progression of the story. On the contrary, now that the group has finally reached Elfhelm, a place to which they've traveled for her sake, her healing would be the next logical step. Lest you forget, Guts has unfinished business with Griffith and the God Hand.

Heavenly Maiden said:
Guts personal development, as well as his inner beast that manifests it self though the armor has happened in way or another either directly or indirectly because of Casca's condition. You think Miura is just going to phase out Guts inner beast issues by having Casca restored and give Guts inner peace and diffusing that fire? No, Guts inner beast deeply resent Casca because it sees her as an obstacle for going after Griffith and satisfying it's blood lust.

I don't think you understand what's involved with the Beast of Darkness. It's not like it only exists because Guts resents his own decision to put Casca's safety above his desire for revenge over Griffith. The Beast of Darkness does resent it, just like it resents anything that keeps Guts from indulging in his most self-destructive emotions. Casca's return to sanity would not dramatically alter the situation. The Beast of Darkness would still be out for Griffith's blood. And what if Casca is able to help Guts rein it in more than he's done so far? That's be a natural progression from the developments we've already seen, him keeping it in chains inside his mind and all that.

Heavenly Maiden said:
Ultimately I think Miura intends for Casca to disappoint Guts. I know my line of thinking is cynical and people make the argument that Berserk's tone has lightened up over the years so we should not expect such a bleak out come but it is because things are lighter in tone that I feel things are about to get dark. Things were deceptively light between Casca and Guts right before the rescue of Griffith and then the eclipse happened. I mean I know we all want things to turn out nicely between Guts and Casca but Miura isn't writing a love story here, and I don't think he feels obligated to give us a happy reunion.

I think you're assuming a lot of things about the story and the author here. It doesn't have to be pure bliss or pure horror. Casca's return would not signal the end of all of Guts' problems. There's a myriad of ways in which she could be back and even love him and yet still create dilemmas for them both. Use your imagination. If anything, think of their son.

Heavenly Maiden said:
As soon as it was revealed that there might be a cure for Casca doubt was thrown in with Skull Knight cryptic warning. That pretty much guarantees that things are not going to go down well when they reach the elf king.

What it guarantees is that it won't be simple and effortless. But that wasn't to be expected anyway.

Heavenly Maiden said:
I know alot of people are hoping for Casca to come back to her former amazonian glory from the golden age but I think that Casca is gone, and I know that fans are hoping she will be a positive influence in the story but I think the only support Guys is ever going to get at this point is from his new friends, and Casca is just going to serve to agitate Guts inner beast.

I think that reveals a deep misconception on your part. What is it exactly that agitates Guts' inner beast? Anger, fighting, apostles, the God Hand, Griffith. And when he's lost himself within the Od of the Berserk's armor, killing everything mindlessly, what is the only thing that can bring him back to his senses? Is it the sight of his new friends? No. That doesn't stop him. What stops him is Casca. Without her, he would be dead. And without her in the future, he doesn't stand a chance, not in his current state.

Heavenly Maiden said:
ANd yet that is exactly what Miura has done with Casca's character for over a decade now. I always thought what was done to Casca was pretty limiting to the story and really...has dragged on past the point where her condition has any emotional impact any more.

Prior to the Skull Knight's talk with Guts there was no prospect of Casca getting cured, so of course she stayed like that. What reason is there to assume that now the journey to cure her has finally been set in motion, nothing will come of it? It's *the* chance to readdress her role in the story and provide some closure to what happened. It doesn't mean it's going to be sunshine and roses for her and Guts from that point on, but this is the opportunity to change their circumstances and it hasn't existed before. I've been frustrated with the ongoing state of the Casca in the past as well, but I don't think holding out for her to return to her senses is unwarranted.

Ratty

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
I am so ready for the King of the Flower Storm to work his magic. Though if they get there and he says they have to go on a quest to collect something before he can cure Casca, I think I'm going to punch myself in the face.

At this rate I'm hopeful that we'll see Casca cured by this time next year if not before. Though I am in the camp that interprets the SkullKnight's words to mean Casca will probably be none too happy about being cured. Hope I'm wrong on that one.

I'm also another fan of Aaz's idea of Guts delving into Casca's mind, that'd be really interesting.

I really can't help but think we'll see that inside Casca's mind she's experiencing something not exact but similar to what happened to Griffith at the lake before the eclipse. In her own reality and inside her mind everything is happy and pretty perfect. The eclipse never happened, Guts never left, and Griffith became king of Midland and attained his dream. I think it'd be quite an emotional experience for Guts to delve into her mind and have his eye and left arm back and be put into that kind of fantasy world that he knows isn't real but that she made up to block all of the horrible things that happened at the eclipse. It'd be heart breaking.

You know until reading this thread I have never considered the possiablity of Guts going into Casca's mind to try to convince her to come back. My personal take on Casca's healing is that Guts would sort of hand her over to the Elf King and he would go to work on piecing her slowly back together. Because my impression of Casca's condition is that she is shattered and that her personhood would have to be retrieved by the elf king and put back together and that Casca would have to gradually have to be rebuilt from the ground up from the point she is now (an infantile person) to the point she was before the eclipse and that the last step of her reconstruction would be the events the eclipse. I also imagined that this piecing back together of Casca's personhood would involve the Elf King coaxing Casca to accept the events of her life who made her who she was so she can accept that person again and hopefully become whole. This is just my perception but I have always thought that a portion of the reason why Casca completely shattered was her belief that Griffith literally made her who she was and the destruction of her image of Griffith destroyed her as well. I mean Casca has two versions of herself, the feeble peasant girl who just endured life and hardship meekly and the warrior woman Griffith gave her the opportunity to be. An opportunity she would not have had at all if it were not for Griffith. This is something I have always wondered her healing would have to include to make the real Casca come back. That she can be the woman she was independantly from Griffith. I mean Griffith was almost like a God to her, and even though she was moving away from this rigid devotion (Judeau saw this and pondered on it) having someone she revered so much, who she gave credit to creating the very person she was in Hawks, betraying her contributed to her going insane and not wanting to deal with life.

I think Casca's co-dependence on Griffith is really going to be an issue that needs to be dealt with in her healing in addition to her accepting what was done to her during the eclipse. And if this is not addressed during her healing maybe it could be a good character arc for her. I wonder if a healed Casca would experience an identiy crisis when healed due to this.

But this is all my speculation if the Elf King was acting alone on this which brings me to this issue that was brought up:

I have a question. How the living hell would the elf king or guts be able to do that? I guess we are going under the assumption that Guts is going to (with the help of the elf king) pull a Schierke and dive into her mind, but when he is there, what iis he going to say or do? Would the act of entering into her mind be enough to jog enough of her self for her to even recoginize Guts? Or will it take more manipulation then that. Why id there an assumption that restoring her mind will involve her remembering Guts at all. Guts is not the reason she went insane. It is Griffith. Why do people assume that remembering Guts personly is going to (or should0 play a significant role in Casca returing? Wouldn't remembering the eclipse and the rape (the actual things that made her lose it) be the actual things that will factor into her remembering herself?

If Guts is the one who is entering her mind to convince her to come back and what he could possiably be said to her to do that, I was wondering if the expereince of his own rape could be something Guts would remind Casca of to come back. Guts was sold to someone by his own father figure, Gambino, and suffered a horrible trauma of it, and then years later told to his face by a person he considered a father that he engineered the whole situation. That sort of pain and betrayal could be something Guts could remind Casca of that he has expereinced and that he understands her own pain inflicted on her by Griffith's betrayal and the trauma she endured as a result of the rape and that she does not have to feel ashamed. If Guts can remind Casca that he has gone through a similar experience as her, maybe it could help her find peace of mind and come back. Casca healed Guts of his childhood trauma after he told her about his expereince and she even said she felt like closer to him after that. Maybe a similar situation could occur.

Because Casca being upset or angry over Guts bringing her to be healed like some have speculated just does not cut it for me. I would be really pissed off if Miura played the story out like that. That Casca would be so ungrateful or cowardly that she would not want to come back or resent Guts for restoring her mind...or not even wanting to go deal wth Griffith after what he did, just sounds stupid to me and really tacky and even lazy way of handling the situation. It would make me feel like Miura is just beating around the bush, creating problems and drama just to avoid getting around to the ultimate confrontation with Grifffith. This speculation that some fans have that Casca is going to be a bitch who stabs Guts in the back and take Griffith's side for drama seems really cheap. If Miura does play it off like this I would be very dissapointed because Casca's character deserves some decent pay off for being stuck in child like mind set. What would be the point of making her the bad guy like that? It make me wonder if Skull Knights words could mean something that we have not considered yet or an event that Miura has not addressed yet as something Guts and Casca will have different views on. Because the popular ones of Casca resenting Guts for restoring her mind, or not wanting to go after Griffih for what ever reason just doesn't sit well with me.

XionHorsey

Hi! Hi!
Could it be possible that Casca would want to be with someone else? Or no one in the romantic sense? I used to think it was revenge vs. NO, but the more I think about it, the more I think that maybe Guts still wants a relationship but Casca does not? At least not the way they used to be.

XionHorsey said:
Could it be possible that Casca would want to be with someone else? Or no one in the romantic sense? I used to think it was revenge vs. NO, but the more I think about it, the more I think that maybe Guts still wants a relationship but Casca does not? At least not the way they used to be.

Who else would Casca want to be with? I think she will inevitably regain clarity and be more mindful of reality. After that happens she will see Guts for who who he is again and most likely form a positive relationship with him. I think we will see her in fighting form once again so she can take on Griffith alongside Guts.

I'm also anticipating setbacks. It probably won't be an easy task for her mental state to get back to 100% and same goes for her physical-self.

Top Bottom