How did you find out about Berserk?

How did you find out about Berserk?

• Total voters

Snake Plissken

President of what?
Walter said:
Glad to have you!

Just so you know, chapters are what we call larger portions of the story (Chapter of Lost Children). The 20-22 pg individual releases that come out in Young Animal are called episodes. Here's a longer post where I explain why: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=10807.msg194523#msg194523

Thanks, I'll refer to it as episode from now on. These emoticons are awesome! :ubik:

Oddly? Cosplay. I was a part of a Ninja Scroll cosplay group (was going to be a ninja extra but dropped out to help out the wifey with her Dragon Half cosplay) and a few people there started a Berserk group. Wife was all: yeah I'd like to do Serpico. I love Berserk! So I picked out a character to cosplay with her, and got really interested in the characters and their backgrounds. Was going to do Rakshas :rakshas:, just based off the design, but have to decided that, since we're going to Dragoncon next year, we should do something a bit more impressive and went with Void. She's going to do Eclipse Griffith (bandaged) and be my handler (since my sight is going to be extremely impaired and I'll be on stilts). :void:

Work starts this week when the lifecasting supplies come in from our supplier. Doing a full bust head cast for a silicone mask.

Anyhow I'm almost done with the manga now. Some nights it keeps me up til 4 am or so... great read. A lot going on. Still haven't seen much of the anime. Not sure how I missed it back in the 90s... hunting for a good buy of the remastered collection on feebay.

Ratty

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
I'm not hugely into anime, I've nothing against it it's just that most of it doesn't interest me. But in college I had a roommate who was basically your stereotypical Otaku. Hundreds of dollars of anime DVDs, stayed up late into the night wearing his Nauto headband watching the latest subs, the whole deal. He showed me Hellsing Ultimate (then the manga and TV show) and I quickly became a fan, in spite of his almost constant talking over top of it.

Later while looking up Hellsing stuff online I kept hearing this other series "Berserk" mentioned, specifically I remember people bitching about Dark Horse's translator for both. ("He had to ask how to translate a sentence online once, HE CAN'T SPEAK JAPANESE!") But it was heaped with praise for being "more brutal" etc. and while I love Hellsing for being so over the top and shamelessly exploitative I had doubts about Berserk. I checked it out anyway and was hopelessly hooked from the Golden Age Arc on. Until I finished reading it I could barely stop myself from doing so whenever I had the free time. Continuously blown away by the quality of everything from the characters to the story to the artwork. Far from being just another "over the top violent" manga it's one of the most profound works of art I've ever had the privilege to experience. It'll be a crime if there are not college courses devoted to it 100 years from now. That being said... I did fall out of following it for several years due to how slow the updates were going. And only recently caught up.

The story pretty much goes like this: I was 14 or so and had tired of only reading Naruto, Bleach & Dragonball. I wanted something a little bit more mature! I believe I searched for the highest rated mangas on Anime News Network and found Berserk. From the little mini information it sounded great so immediately I looked it up on the site where I read Naruto. Needless to say I thought it was extremely cool with fantastic art and even better characters, unfortunately the translations made some things pretty confusing. Back then I didn't even think of buying the things I liked. As I matured and grew up I understood that it's very important to show your support to the creator in any way you can. I've been following it episodically since Ganishka stepped into Daiba's man-made behelit and I started buying the Dark Horse volumes shortly before 34 was released.

Well, I picked other in form of the question. Last December I was getting into anime, so I basically searched for "good violent anime" and Berserk was at the top of the list. Needly to say I watched it and loved it ever since. I began reading the manga almost instantly, because of the wtf ending of the TV series and realizing there's no season 2. I'm a horror fan and my tolerance for gore and terrifying images made Berserk my favorite read since ASOIAF series.

The reason I got into Berserk was because of Dark Souls. After learning that a lot of Miyazaki's inspiration for Dark Souls came from Berserk I knew I had to check it out. I watched the first episode and thought it was pretty cool so I ordered the first volume off Amazon and continued purchasing each one slowly. I still haven't watched anymore of the anime but would like to eventually. It's too hard to pull myself away from the manga though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DragonSlayer24 said:
Well, I picked other in form of the question. Last December I was getting into anime, so I basically searched for "good violent anime" and Berserk was at the top of the list. Needly to say I watched it and loved it ever since. I began reading the manga almost instantly, because of the wtf ending of the TV series and realizing there's no season 2.

Why pick "Other"? Wouldn't that perfectly fit the "Animated TV series" option of the poll?

Vaati said:
The reason I got into Berserk was because of Dark Souls. After learning that a lot of Miyazaki's inspiration for Dark Souls came from Berserk I knew I had to check it out. I watched the first episode and thought it was pretty cool so I ordered the first volume off Amazon and continued purchasing each one slowly. I still haven't watched anymore of the anime but would like to eventually. It's too hard to pull myself away from the manga though.

Hehe, I think it's the first time I hear of someone getting into Berserk from the Souls series. Anyway, after reading all of the manga, I think you'll end up disappointed by the anime.

2 words- Detective Conan :troll:

Well, my story is weird to say the least :p
I heard a lot about Berserk when I began getting into Seinen Anime and Manga but never really gave it a chance.
Then one day, out of curiosity, I googled "How long will Detective Conan keep on going?" (I did that because I was just shocked to see the number of chapters in the series :p)
I got my answer on MAL and the user who gave the answer mentioned Hajime no Ippo and Berserk as other long running series.
Hajime didn't surprise me because of the sheer number of chapters but Berserk was a completely different case.
A series older than myself with less than 300 chapters? wtf?.... And it's still on fire? WTF!
And now I'm here.... :guts:

I believe I learned about it from Gigguk, he did a video and mentioned the berserk movies, and how they were good but had shit CGI. I saw the first and second ones dubbed on neon alley about a year ago. At Comic Con 2013 I saw the dubbed version of the third movie on the big screen, and it was a great experience. I saw the series a few months ago, and since then it's been my favorite franchise.

But yeah, I got into it with the movies, though TBH, I probably would have gotten into nth rough the anime anyways even if the movies never existed though.

I found out about Berserk thanks to my parents. They knew I love mangas, so for my 19th birthday they bought me a few volumes from different series, and Berserk volume 4 was one of them. (they had no idea how mangas works, so they just thought it was a different story each volume...). I took a look at it, loved it, bought the first 3 volumes... and bought the next 30 volumes or so a few days later! Been a fan for 6 years now :)

I found out about Berserk a few months before it started releasing in the US.
I went to my local Suncoast video(RIP, they disappeared, something about a Vortex) store in the mall frequently for anime.
One of the clerks was also an anime fan so we would always talk about random stuff.

One day he handed me a disk, which turned out to be episode 1 of Berserk
(No subs!) -- Luckily the first episode is easy enough to follow at the time without subtitles.
I still sat and watched it, enjoyed every second of it.
Watched it again.
Then a few months later it finally started to release here in the states.

Been a personal favorite of mine since.

Berserk fan friend got me into Susumu Hirasawa in 2013, I got obsessed with him and listened to all his albums a gajillion times - I now have like 3000 scrobbles on my last.fm account. Friend told me they got into Hirasawa through Berserk but I didn't really pay attention to Berserk for another two years, despite rocking the soundtrack a lot.

After reading ASOIAF this year and getting back into fantasy again (I was turned off by traditional Tolkienesque fantasy), a lot of people I talked to who were ASOIAF fans said their favourite manga series was Berserk, so I decided to read it, and I'm glad I did.

Now I'm super eager to watch the anime series soon just because of the Hirasawa soundtrack!

I bought the bootleg VCD's of the TV series on Ebay while I was in Highschool years ago, 1999 or 2000. I started reading the Manga soon after.

A friend of mine lent me the first volume in 2006 when i was 15 (i wasn't exactly in legal age to reading it i know), and i liked it immediately. At that time i was not much familiar with this kind of violence and explicit content in manga so i was kinda shocked while reading it, since i only knew Dragon Ball, One Piece and some other Shonen then.
Since then, captured by the characterization of the characters and all the dark fantasy themes i started buy one volume after another.
I watched the anime and the movies recently but having begun with the manga they didn't left much of an impression on me, i felt that many important scenes and important dialogues have been cutted, like the black dogs chase.

Top Bottom