Bloodborne

I just binge played Bloodborne nearly three times, including the DLC.

Bloodborne and the Old Hunter's DLC is by far one of my favorite things in the world right now. It's so much damn fun and I'm always feeling the itch to go back and play more. This game needs a sequel like, basically now.

The Lady Maria fight is basically the best and sexiest boss fight of all time. Blood-fire swords for life.

If fans on here are not aware, Bloodborne is the free Playstation+ game this month. Because of this there has been a huge online community movement to repopulate the game serves calling it "Return to Yharnam." Everything from the Chalice Dungeons to the Old Hunters DLC is brimming back to life with PvP and Co-op. So if you by chance been itching to jump back in or looking for something to do before the Dark Souls remaster comes out now is a great time to revisit the game!

Johnstantine said:
Beating him was so satisfying. Took me about 30 tries, whereas Ludwig I beat on the first attempt.

For me Ludwig and Laurence are the hardest bosses. I've solo'ed Ludwig two times in my career, but sometimes I still summon Valtr for help :puck:

Orphan is easily my favorite fight in Soulsborne alongside Artorias, it's hard but fair. On the other hand I find Ludwig and Laurence as extremely hard and frustrating. Ludwig is the hardest first boss of DLC I've ever faced, lol.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Bloodborne II alledgedly to be announced at E3... I gotta get a PS4 and play the first one still! :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Bloodborne II alledgedly to be announced at E3... I gotta get a PS4 and play the first one still! :judo:

Get ready for From Soft's Hell Factory Simulator VI! :ganishka:

Griffith

Walter said:
Get ready for From Soft's Hell Factory Simulator VI! :ganishka:

Considering how many hours I've happily sunk into I-III and V, I'm definitely ready for IV and VI. My Remaster playthrough, and chatting about it with Aaz, has me doing another DSIII run (it may be tops in my book at this point; it's the real Dark Souls Remastered =). Anyway, I was already shopping for cheap PS4's for Bloodborne but figure I should wait until Christmas. I hope the new game is basically PS4 Pro required or I'll really regret not getting a new 500GB slim when they were $200 last year, but, ya know, college funds and shit. I may literally need to sell my blood to play Bloodborne.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
arguably the best boss fight of any game I’ve ever played:

https://youtu.be/u7ieL2V2EU8

It’s Lady Maria. I wish I could fight her every time I put the game on.

You mean Maria from Nioh!? :troll:

gutsbarf.gif

I may literally need to sell my blood to play Bloodborne.

This sounds like a genuine marketing gimmick that Sony would push in Japan.

Johnstantine said:
Shameless self-promotion, but here is my fight with arguably the best boss fight of any game I’ve ever played:

https://youtu.be/u7ieL2V2EU8

It’s Lady Maria. I wish I could fight her every time I put the game on.

Maria's such a blast to fight, so much so, that I didn't mind when during my first go at her she ganked me when I had her health down to but a sliver.

If this new FromSoft game is indeed Bloodborne 2, I hope they capitalize on the opportunity to show us the Eastern side of the Soulsborne universe.

Zeke said:
If this new FromSoft game is indeed Bloodborne 2, I hope they capitalize on the opportunity to show us the Eastern side of the Soulsborne universe.

I assume you believe it's gonna be an Eastern setting based on the scribbling and ambient sounds from the teaser.

Many people seem to be convinced that those are clear indicators, which also prompted them to believe From might be planning to revive Tenchu out of the blue, but I wouldn't be so sure. That teaser was way too short to draw any conclusions as to the overall setting of the world; for all we know what happens there might be something completely isolated, but I wouldn't mind if they did indeed build a game centred on the "far Eastern land".

Griffith

My contract was officialized and I'm finally a Hunter! :guts: (I'm a Lone Survivor with the saw and blunderbuss =)

First impressions:
It was a little awkward for me at first because of the ways it's different from Souls, even though I can clearly see how DS3's engine was retrofitted from it, but once I started getting used it I could see why people are so into it. Combat, done effectively, is faster but well nuanced, particularly how you manage the timing of attacks, gun blasts and stamina. You can't play defensive, but you have to constantly engage and withdraw effectively. If you just try to R1 them to death you're going to end up a sitting duck (removing this fearure from DS3 was a step back that made it easier). Basically, it looks like this game is the evolution people that only had the opportunity to play DS3 were looking for.

Yharnam is great do far too, I haven't even fought a boss yet but I've been up and down the city and it reminds of the exploration previously unique to DS1, that trapped behind enemy lines feeling where you feel surrounded and really have to decide when it's better to push forward or fall back. I've already lost thousands of Blood Echos because of the different mode of retrieval, having to clear the area of enemies or even a particular enemy that posseses them (no smash and grab cheating =).

I also summoned another Hunter to help and it was a relief to take on some patrols with backup. Despite my previous Souls experience I'm still probably overly intimidated bybthe bigger enemies. I'm also not healing enough because blood vials seem plentiful, so I think I'll hit my stride once I unlearn some of my ingrained Souls tactics and adapt more to what's efficient in Bloodborne. I already bellowed, "No, NO! It's not faaaair!!" once today, so that's a good sign the game is working as intended. :ganishka:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
I also summoned another Hunter to help and it was a relief to take on some patrols with backup.

Puss.

Despite my previous Souls experience I'm still probably overly intimidated bybthe bigger enemies. I'm also not healing enough because blood vials seem plentiful, so I think I'll hit my stride once I unlearn some of my ingrained Souls tactics and adapt more to what's efficient in Bloodborne. I already bellowed, "No, NO! It's not faaaair!!" once today, so that's a good sign the game is working as intended. :ganishka:

BB is far more forgiving, but at the same time about the same level of challenge=)

Griffith

Johnstantine said:

It's worse; I tried summoning Gascoigne again to fight the Cleric Beast but was trying to protect his health on the way and got myself killed by the stupid giant wolves. Then when I went back I couldn't summon him anymore and realized it consumed Insight to do so! What a waste (of whatever)! :magni: So I think I'm done with that, though I still want to see how summoning/multiplayer works in the game. I haven't even been invaded yet (I wonder if anyone is on; I know it was like free to play a while back so I was expecting some activity).

Johnstantine said:
BB is far more forgiving, but at the same time about the same level of challenge=)

Yeah, like I said I was kind of holding myself back trying to conserve resources I really didn't need to against the risk of getting ganked or boss combo'd to death at half life while holding 17 Blood Vials. :ganishka: Once I started cutting loose, as the game intends, things got better. Though trying to chase healing via aggressive attacking is sometimes like throwing good money after bad, and doubly so when you get in the mindset of doing it at the expense of traditional healing in general. I've already learned you're often better off just backing out and quickly using a vial while it still counts ON TOP of your latest damage, unless the enemy is a chump (sometimes that sucks too because they'll die before I can get much life back =). I'm sure the game is going to take more advantage of this later when the initial hit is just to entice you in for the real death blow. :zodd:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
It's worse; I tried summoning Gascoigne again to fight the Cleric Beast but was trying to protect his health on the way and got myself killed by the stupid giant wolves. Then when I went back I couldn't summon him anymore and realized it consumed Insight to do so! What a waste (of whatever)! :magni: So I think I'm done with that, though I still want to see how summoning/multiplayer works in the game. I haven't even been invaded yet (I wonder if anyone is on; I know it was like free to play a while back so I was expecting some activity).

Hm, the game has a huge population still, so it's weird you were having trouble. I can hop onto my new game and help you out if you need it.

The next boss for you after FG is the Blood Starved Beast. It's the boss that made me almost quit the game out of frustration.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
Hm, the game has a huge population still, so it's weird you were having trouble.

Hmmm, now you're making me think I might have set something too high in my online friend settings or something and it's blocking the other players. I'll look into it.

I can hop onto my new game and help you out if you need it.

Pffff, them's fighten' words; INVADE my game* and see how much help I need!

*Preferably in Dark Souls 3. =)

The next boss for you after FG is the Blood Starved Beast. It's the boss that made me almost quit the game out of frustration.

Sounds... infuriating! Here beasty beasty beasty, I'm coming! :guts: :chomp:

Actually, Bloodstarved Beast only MIGHT be the third boss you fight. The paths kind of diverge at this point in the game, and depending on where you go, you might fight something else instead.

Griffith

Cyrus Jong said:
Actually, Bloodstarved Beast only MIGHT be the third boss you fight. The paths kind of diverge at this point in the game, and depending on where you go, you might fight something else instead.

Well, I'm in Old Yharnam, killed the obnoxious Hunters there, and have a feeling the Blood Starved Beast is one "wrong" turn away since this seems like a place a beast would be starving for new blood. I decided to save my 10,000 Blood Echoes to see if I can advance past the big gate without the Hunter Chief Symbol.

Also, I started leveling Skill and upgrading the Cane and Saw Spear to great effect; made Goscoigne much simpler and I can pretty much manage, if not melt, mobs with the whip already. Just as effective bitch smacking back big bads before they can get me in range.

Griffith said:
Also, I started leveling Skill and upgrading the Cane and Saw Spear to great effect; made Goscoigne much simpler and I can pretty much manage, if not melt, mobs with the whip already. Just as effective bitch smacking back big bads before they can get me in range.

I love that cane\whip. It was my third favorite weapon, even in the Old Hunters dlc. Second was the Chikage paired with the Blades of Mercy which was my favorite weapon in the entire game.

What do you think of the level design so far ?

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
ryOtoha said:
I love that cane\whip. It was my third favorite weapon, even in the Old Hunters dlc. Second was the Chikage paired with the Blades of Mercy which was my favorite weapon in the entire game.

Ludwig's Holy Blade coupled with the pistol. Simple, but worked for me.

Griffith

ryOtoha said:

Yeah, the Threaded Cane/Whip started out as my "change up" weapon for special situations but those situations expanded to the point it's my main and the Saw Spear is the one I pull out when I just need to back attack or bash someone. I've upgraded and scaled the cane to the point that it does as much damage as any weapon I have but faster, with more range, and using less stamina! It's perfect. I actually WANT to fight multiple enemies at once with it. :ganishka:

I did like the cleaver move set as well though, better than the spear's anyway save for the strong thrust, and the R1 horizontal swipe has it's uses, but it's just a tad bit slow for the return in damage. I'm looking forward to trying out the Blades of Mercy when I get them, maybe they'll be what I end up pairing with the whip and the description reminds me of the dual katanas I preferred in Nioh along with a greatsword.

ryOtoha said:
What do you think of the level design so far ?

Already contending for best in the Souls series. Exploring Yharnam has that same feeling as Lordran, but it's more cohesive thus far. Gorgeous too, I'd be even more impressed by the Victorian architecture and art design if I hadn't already seen it recycled in DS3; the reputation of which is taking a big hit as I continue to play Bloodborne, which is what happened to DS1 when I finally played Demon's Souls and realized it wasn't a "precursor" at all but the finished product DS1 was a generic knockoff of. =)

Johnstantine said:
Ludwig's Holy Blade coupled with the pistol. Simple, but worked for me.

Heard/read a ton about this one, to the point I thought maybe I shouldn't invest in Skill because I assume that's Strength-based being a greatsword? Anyway, I usually like the simple Souls approach as well, sword and roll baby, which is why Bloodborne cutting out all the other fat to specialize in and enhance that experience is so great ("Shields are good, unless they breed passivity" =).

BTW, at first I was annoyed they switched the "heal" button (I've accidentally consumed vials more than once trying to switch weapon stance via the triangle button =), but I do appreciate having it completely separate from other items because I tended to do that in DS anyway at the exclusion of those other items. This removes that penalty and opens up item use a bit more, at least for me.

Top Bottom