Who will get along with Casca the best in Guts group?

Who will get along the best with Casca if/when she is restored in Guts new group?

• Farnese

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Serpico

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Isidro

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Schierke/Ivalera

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Puck

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Azan

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters
ELfhelm is sure to offer some interesrting character development and the dynamics are sure to change when Casca becomes a speaking individual again, and I was wondering who would get along with Casca the most after she gets restored. I know this largly depends to what extent her "self" is healed to, but lets say your personal version of how Casca is healed and how she is as a functioning person again has happened...who will warm up to her the most and get along with her and maybe become her new buddy...who would Casca warm up to the most?

I did not Guts on the poll because I wanted to focus on the group.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
You forgot Azan! I had to fix that mistake. :azan:
(You also forgot Roderick, but who cares :iva:)

Anyway, I don't think there's really anyway to know, but I voted Puck.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
(You also forgot Roderick, but who cares :iva:)

He,y I like Roderick! :serpico:

But I had to vote for Puck too. He is just too easy to get along with and I figured he's been with Guts and casca longer then the others...

Puck is such an easy answer because who wouldn't get along with him? :puck:

So i voted for Schierke. I think when Casca returns to her former self Schierke will look up to her, being a strong female and what not. I also think she'll notice how Casca and Guts interact with each other and the love the two share might help her realize how much she cares about Isidro.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Maxwell said:
I also think she'll notice how Casca and Guts interact with each other and the love the two share might help her realize how much she cares about Isidro.

Interesting. I have not thought about that angle.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Maxwell said:
I also think she'll notice how Casca and Guts interact with each other and the love the two share might help her realize how much she cares about Isidro.

Hmm. There's still room for development on that matter. We're still pretty early on.

I went with Puck because he knows the most about what Cacsa and Guts have gone through, and he has shown to be very understanding and easy to get along with.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I like to think Casca will retain memories of how much Farnese have taken care of her. Maybe, like how Schierke has taught her to use magic, Casca will teach Farnese how to fight (better) with a sword. That might be a bit too much going on with her character though.

Some how I feel as though when Casca is restored that it would be up to Casca to actually approach them rather then any of them making the first move to be friendly with her. I imagine that Guts's group would give Casca wide berth (at least initially) when she comes back as herself. With that being said I think the one most likely to approach Casca is Puck. Like others have said he is very gregarious and non judgemental and I think out of all of them I think he will eventually wind up being Casca's confident. I always enjoyed in the early part of the manga how Puck attempted to be Gut's Jiminy Cricket during his black swordsman days, and though I don't think a restored Casca would need someone to act as her conscience, I think Puck would play a similar role for her he played for Guts, but more suited to her situation.

As to who Casca will graviate toward when restored? It is hard to tell I think she will graviate toward Puck for the most part but I actually think she would try to warm up toward Serpico and Rodrick (assuming he sticks around after landing on the island) because I think, do to her position in the hawks she is more accustomed to interacting with men with a military back ground. I have this image of Casca practicing her swordmanship with either one of them. Some how I think Casca will feel a little shy or akward around Farnese and Schierke at first.

Delta Phi said:
I like to think Casca will retain memories of how much Farnese have taken care of her. Maybe, like how Schierke has taught her to use magic, Casca will teach Farnese how to fight (better) with a sword. That might be a bit too much going on with her character though.

I would love for this to happen to and it is what I was hoping for until Farnese's crush became more prominent. I think Casca and Farnese have more in common with each other then difference and I would think that Farnese (whos world was turned upside down) would have been a good person to confide in that there is getting over and evolving from a situation where what you believed in turns out to be a lie, like how her foundation in her faith was shaken. I would have loved a scenerio where Casca tryies to teach Farnese how to use a sword.

I think when Casca returns to her former self Schierke will look up to her, being a strong female and what not

hm, I wonder if Schierke would consider Casca like that... I mean what would she look up to, she is already a very capable and wise young lady whose mental and emotional maturity is far beyond her years even now. other then her warrior prowess what would she look up to in Casca? I never really thought Schierke was all that impressed with that sort of thing.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Patou244 said:
hm, I wonder if Schierke would consider Casca like that... I mean what would she look up to, she is already a very capable and wise young lady whose mental and emotional maturity is far beyond her years even now. other then her warrior prowess what would she look up to in Casca? I never really thought Schierke was all that impressed with that sort of thing.

I don't think you understand Schierke's character very well. She has a lot of book smarts, but she's still fundamentally a kid who lacks social skills and a broad understanding of people. There's still plenty of room for growth and maturity, despite her obvious talents.

I did not mean to imply that she was simple in some way or 2D, I was just commending her for her the maturity she has shown thus far. However I am still skeptical of how much she might look up to Casca when she is restored. I like to think she would show the same maturity she showed in episode 287-288 when she decided not to begrudge Casca because she had her own personal bond with Guts, but would she still feel the same way when Casca is restored or would she start to feel jealous of her when she is well enough to actively reciprocate Guts's love for her? I just have this feeling that Farnese and Schierke would be closer toward the bottom of the group to warm up to a restored Casca due to their crushes on Guts.

Also I wonder how the other would react to Casca if she came back to her full self. Casca was something of an alpha and she came back to being that way after being as helpless as a child and acting somewhat mentally challenged, would the find her true self kind of abrasive in comparison?

I actually think she would try to warm up toward Serpico and Roderick (assuming he sticks around after landing on the island) because I think, do to her position in the hawks she is more accustomed to interacting with men with a military back ground.

Casca is hateful toward men though because of what was done to her, are you saying that she would go back to being a "guys girl" when she gets restored?

Actually has anyone considered that Casca might resent all of Guts new friends? Casca gets jealous easily even in a platonic sense, she certainly resented Guts when he came into the picture and "took her place" at Griffith's side, what if she views Guts's new friends in the same manner. Since she has been gone they have been the ones that have helped him and Guts relies on Isidoro and Serpico and Rodrick in battle and tactics. He confides in Schierke and has a special bond with her Farnese has a crush on him. Could Casca resent all of them for "taking her place." I imagine Casca is going to feel humilated that all of them witnessed her in such a sorry regressed state do you think she would project that onto them? I imagine Casca is going feel like she has no niche among them and since she has been so disempowered for so long I think she might resent how useless she is compared to them.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hot Chic said:
Actually has anyone considered that Casca might resent all of Guts new friends? Casca gets jealous easily even in a platonic sense, she certainly resented Guts when he came into the picture and "took her place" at Griffith's side, what if she views Guts's new friends in the same manner.

That sounds like the 15-year-old Casca we were first introduced to, not the woman we last saw.

Could Casca resent all of them for "taking her place."

That would be completely, utterly irrational. Wouldn't she instead feel grateful these people helped keep Guts and her safe..?

I think she might resent how useless she is compared to them.

Casca's no slouch. She'll have a place in the group, without question.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hot Chic said:
Actually has anyone considered that Casca might resent all of Guts new friends? Casca gets jealous easily even in a platonic sense, she certainly resented Guts when he came into the picture and "took her place" at Griffith's side, what if she views Guts's new friends in the same manner.

The situation is completely different. Especially since no one's ever going to take her place as far as Guts is concerned.

Hot Chic said:
Since she has been gone they have been the ones that have helped him and Guts relies on Isidro and Serpico and Roderick in battle and tactics. He confides in Schierke and has a special bond with her Farnese has a crush on him.

And yet, Casca is the one and only thing that keeps Guts sane.

I had to vote Serpico, because of his kind, understanding and accommodating nature, and the fact that out of all grown adult men that Casca had met or lived next to since the Eclipse, Serpico has always seem to have been the one she'd gotten along with the best :serpico:

I think maybe Isidro. Mainly because he looks up to Guts and strives to gain his acceptance and blessing as a warrior on the same ground, someone to cling to, in which Casca can relate to when she first met Griffith and strived to be on the same level to show her gratitude etc.

Casca saved by Griffith from lecherous nobleman. Isidro saved by Guts from Kushan scouts. Both of them saw the skill and sheer boldness Griffith and Guts possessed and each were drawn to their flock.

I can picture Guts getting leary at Isidro and sane Casca explaining her and Guts turbulent times in the Band of Hawk and she came to accept Guts for who is and his deeper side to why Guts is who he is and how she once and maybe still admires Griffith if she cannot piece together fragments from the eclipse.

Casca strove to be at Griffiths side but saw Guts as a blocking mechanism and hey maybe isidro will see it with Casca blah blah.

I can't help wonder if she looks at Serpico in future volumes and look at his youthful elfish look and his finesse swordsmanship and see old Griffith with him.

But I waffe on.

I think maybe Isidro. Mainly because he looks up to Guts and strives to gain his acceptance and blessing as a warrior on the same ground, someone to cling to, in which Casca can relate to when she first met Griffith and strived to be on the same level to show her gratitude etc.

Casca saved by Griffith from lecherous nobleman. Isidro saved by Guts from Kushan scouts. Both of them saw the skill and sheer boldness Griffith and Guts possessed and each were drawn to their flock.

I never considered that, that is a good point. Maybe Isidoro could be her little buddy. I also wonder if Isidoro could develop a harmless crush on Casca when she gets her senses back. He seems to like strong women and declared his admiration for Luca when he witness her being a tough and fearless, if Casca displays something similar maybe Isidoro might feel the same.

Actually I was wondering if Isidoro had ever heard or been curious of the "famous female commander of the hawks" like he had heard of the 100 man slayer. Isidoro references him but I find it strange no one mentions or remembers her, since he remembers the "old Guts".

Casca strove to be at Griffiths side but saw Guts as a blocking mechanism and hey maybe isidro will see it with Casca blah blah.

if anyone ends up feeling this way it will most likely be Farnese.

I can't help wonder if she looks at Serpico in future volumes and look at his youthful elfish look and his finesse swordsmanship and see old Griffith with him

I think she will most likely think Judo when she intereacts with Serpico.
Serpico has always seem to have been the one she'd gotten along with the best :serpico:

I have not really noticed this. Can you any specific examples?

Hm, it is a possibility I think but I do not think that would extend to the male members of Guts group. If she resents anyone it would probably be Farnese and Schierke and it would only be if she feels threatened by their feelings for Guts. Not because she she feels resentful for them helping keep her and Guts alive which be a bitch move on her part if she did. Some kind of conflict/tension is going to go down between them I am sure of it.

That sounds like the 15-year-old Casca we were first introduced to, not the woman we last saw.

I don't think Casca changed that much from when she was 15, right before the eclipse Casca got annoyed/jealous of Charlotte being carried by Guts down the strair well of the dungeon.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Heavenly Maiden said:
Hm, it is a possibility I think but I do not think that would extend to the male members of Guts group. If she resents anyone it would probably be Farnese and Schierke and it would only be if she feels threatened by their feelings for Guts. Not because she she feels resentful for them helping keep her and Guts alive which be a bitch move on her part if she did. Some kind of conflict/tension is going to go down between them I am sure of it.

I don't think Casca changed that much from when she was 15, right before the eclipse Casca got annoyed/jealous of Charlotte being carried by Guts down the strair well of the dungeon.

I see what you're saying. I went back and skimmed through vol. 10, but I don't think Casca will return acting quite like that. She was in the middle of a real emotional turbulence. She had just slept with Guts, they were in the midst of the single most important mission of their lives, and Casca was brimming with her own internal struggle while Charlotte was essentially proclaiming her love for Griffith.

If you notice, at one point, Casca stops the whining Charlotte and tells her she understands her feeling of not wanting to leave Griffith's side. I think, in that moment, Casca realizes that Charlotte is, and will be, the one to stand with Griffith and not her, even if Charlotte is merely a pawn in Griffith's plan. As for the descent into the dungeons, I didn't get a jealous vibe from Casca while Guts carried Charlotte. The entire thing seemed platonic. Guts just wanted to get to the bottom as quickly as possible without having to deal with Charlotte collapsing every 5 minutes.

To me that shows that she has the self-awareness to look past her jealousy (because it is there). I'm a bit hazy on the details, but Schierke's crush isn't anything significant, and Farnese hasn't seemed as interested in Guts since Roderick entered the scene.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Heavenly Maiden said:

You're blowing her reaction completely out of proportion, it's just plain misguiding.

I see what you're saying. I went back and skimmed through vol. 10, but I don't think Casca will return acting quite like that. She was in the middle of a real emotional turbulence. She had just slept with Guts, they were in the midst of the single most important mission of their lives, and Casca was brimming with her own internal struggle while Charlotte was essentially proclaiming her love for Griffith.

If you notice, at one point, Casca stops the whining Charlotte and tells her she understands her feeling of not wanting to leave Griffith's side. I think, in that moment, Casca realizes that Charlotte is, and will be, the one to stand with Griffith and not her, even if Charlotte is merely a pawn in Griffith's plan. As for the descent into the dungeons, I didn't get a jealous vibe from Casca while Guts carried Charlotte. The entire thing seemed platonic. Guts just wanted to get to the bottom as quickly as possible without having to deal with Charlotte collapsing every 5 minutes.

To me that shows that she has the self-awareness to look past her jealousy (because it is there). I'm a bit hazy on the details, but Schierke's crush isn't anything significant, and Farnese hasn't seemed as interested in Guts since Roderick entered the scene.

mm...the thing that gets me about her whole interactions with Charlotte is that she had already hooked up with Guts at this point. She should not have been trying to interfere with her meeting Griffith again or feeling jealous at all over Charlotte's intense feelings for him since she was with Guts now. She came across to me as sadly indecisive which is disappointing as a reader because Guts and Casca had just spent such a beautiful intimate night together and Casca seemed like she was coming up with excuses to keep them apart (I know she came up with actual good reasons, but the main issue was that she did not want them together it seemed) and was bothered that Griffith imprisonment was over him seducing the princess. Even Guts picks up on this and seems to get offended on pages 78-79 in volume 10.

You're blowing her reaction completely out of proportion, it's just plain misguiding

what would you describe her reaction as then?

About her interactions with Guts team when she is revived I thought just occurred to me. Lets say she ultimately gets closer to Shierke do you think this would inspire her to teach Casca magic like she is teaching Farnese magic. We are all expecting Casca to come back as her old self but would it be more appropriate for her to be reinvented in a different role as a magic user?

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Heavenly Maiden said:
mm...the thing that gets me about her whole interactions with Charlotte is that she had already hooked up with Guts at this point. She should not have been trying to interfere with her meeting Griffith again or feeling jealous at all over Charlotte's intense feelings for him since she was with Guts now.

I don't personally see anything wrong with that. It's very easy to be emotionally confused over multiple people. I think things were happening very rapidly for Casca. Her relationship with Guts had only just started, and she had most likely been "in love with" Griffith for a very long time. I think it would be stranger if she was able to just throw those emotions away after one night with Guts. God knows, I've been in a similar situation, and it wasn't black and white.

Also, Casca wasn't trying to impede Charlotte from seeing or being with Griffith. The entire mission was far too dangerous for Charlotte to be involved in, and rightfully so as the Bakiraka show up and attempt to kill the intruders. Staying in love and being with Griffith meant that Charlotte would be a fugitive as well. I'm sure the King of Midland would have paid any price to have both Griffith and his daughter back, so the chances of the Falcons finding respite in any kingdom would be very low.

Heavenly Maiden said:
She came across to me as sadly indecisive which is disappointing as a reader because Guts and Casca had just spent such a beautiful intimate night together and Casca seemed like she was coming up with excuses to keep them apart (I know she came up with actual good reasons, but the main issue was that she did not want them together it seemed)

You're talking about after they rescue Griffith and she sees how absolutely helpless he is? Once again, her devotion to Griffith was second to none before he was captured. I think it's normal for her to feel the need to take care of him (note, the word used here is need not want). This is also discussed elsewhere on the forum (recently). I'll try to dig up a link.

Heavenly Maiden said:
and was bothered that Griffith imprisonment was over him seducing the princess. Even Guts picks up on this and seems to get offended on pages 78-79 in volume 10.

I don't see this. One of 3 things is happening here 1) You're reading poorly translated scans, 2) You have your pages wrong, 3) Dark Horse didn't translate these pages correctly. Nothing in my volume hints that anyone is bothered by Charlotte sleeping with Griffith. The 78-79 that I'm reading is Charlotte whining about how she wants to be with Griffith, regardless of him being a fugitive after the rescue.

KnightZel

Vlways $trive Vnd Prosper
If i could chime in, if even for a moment.

Truth be told the scenario as a whole could go any which way, but there's still a very debilitating issue that has been touched on lightly. If she does regain her memory and keeps her memories up to the point of the current episodes, then there's the possibility that she just might up and leave for Falconia on her own after putting the idea to Guts. That she might decide to take her revenge, no 'their' revenge, together on Griffith. This would place everyone else at odds since they would have to willfully chose to fight beside them. If this does happen I believe the person that Casca will get along with best will either be Farnese or Isidro. Farnese because she will have chosen a path far, far from what was intended for her. She would be leaving Roderick and all the possibilities he had in store for her, all in the hopes of helping one who doesn't love them back, something that Casca can relate to. Through this, I can see their relationship growing in that way. With Isidro he falls right in with Casca as she might actually be his first real sword instructor, since we know her skills haven't rusted, at least not too extensively. That and she will probably become the new strategist of Guts' motley crew, so he won't be left out of the action too much since she knows the values of swordsmen.

Deci

My first inclination was Isidro for some reason. When I thought about it I think it's maybe because of their fighting spirit, something primal about their characters I see as very cohesive. But no, really I think it's obvious she'd get along with Puck the best...

If for no other reason she would want to become familiar with the being that's kept Guts company all this time. He has quite a bit of insight into what's been going on not just physically but mentally with our big guy, sometimes I feel like he knows Guts' personality better than Guts' does. Puck might find himself in the role of relationship counselor at some point! I'm sure he has his deformed-form talking therapy outfit all worked out for it. :D

I don't think it will be Farnese, unless she can let go of her romantic interest in Guts, which I don't think is likely going to happen. Maybe though!

Which leads me to...

Benin said:
I can't help wonder if she looks at Serpico in future volumes and look at his youthful elfish look and his finesse swordsmanship and see old Griffith with him.

But I waffe on.

Obviously this will not happen, but as an outside observer I won't deny I thought this fleetingly before I read this post, and it's definitely an entertaining thought. He'd have to really strive to keep his eyes open though! :serpico:
Isn't it ironic that Serpico is always wanting to duel Guts, too KIDDING Moving along...

Even moreso though, is Roderick. I see not a tiny part of Judeau in Roderick, how he is able to interact with people. I can easily see Casca and Roderick becoming friends. When you lose someone like Judeau (who was basically the one there for Casca during Guts and Griffith's absense), you tend to realize how important someone like that can be. Of course, Guts can fill that role now that he is here, but that's assuming he and Casca get along right away. I'm oddly confident it won't be the case. I hope that each character will have an opportunity to interact with her individually, and we can really see how she feels about stuff. There's so much to catch her up on! :puck: z

Azan is not out of the question, he is very dutiful and also a great soldier, maybe a small part Pippin in him. I'm confident we're not done being surprised by him. I could see that. :azan:

Fun to think about. :ubik:

Deci said:
Even moreso though, is Roderick. I see not a tiny part of Judeau in Roderick, how he is able to interact with people. I can easily see Casca and Roderick becoming friends. When you lose someone like Judeau (who was basically the one there for Casca during Guts and Griffith's absense), you tend to realize how important someone like that can be.

I do not think that Casca will be reminded of Judeau when she interacts with Roderick. I can see Casca being very sad about Judeau and his loss but I think you are putting too much importance on Casca's feelings for Judeau. Yes he was there for her during the year long absence of Guts and Griffith but he was little more than a reliable and competent soldier. Not the long lost friend you seem to be implying. She will most likely have bitter memories of her Hawk days but I think people forget that Casca was more important to Judeau than he was to her.

Delta Phi said:
You're talking about after they rescue Griffith and she sees how absolutely helpless he is? Once again, her devotion to Griffith was second to none before he was captured. I think it's normal for her to feel the need to take care of him (note, the word used here is need not want). This is also discussed elsewhere on the forum (recently). I'll try to dig up a link.

I don't see this. One of 3 things is happening here 1) You're reading poorly translated scans, 2) You have your pages wrong, 3) Dark Horse didn't translate these pages correctly. Nothing in my volume hints that anyone is bothered by Charlotte sleeping with Griffith. The 78-79 that I'm reading is Charlotte whining about how she wants to be with Griffith, regardless of him being a fugitive after the rescue.

I do not have the manga volume right here in front of me so I might have quoted the wrong pages but there is a scene where Casca turns Charlotte down for joining them where Guts seems to get offended by Casca's manner and snatches his arm away when she tries to touch him. Casca looks upset as well.

Top Bottom