How will Zodd meet his end?

Presuming that Zodd the Immortal will indeed meet his maker before the story's end, how do you imagine this will go down? Do you think it will be his old arch-nemesis Skull Knight to land the final blow? Will it be Guts who gives Zodd the battle to the death that he's been waiting for? Or could you see Miura subverting our expectations and giving Zodd an entirely different end? Could you see Zodd ever disavowing his loyalty to Griffith and switching allegiances?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I try not to think of situations like this too deeply, because I still want to be surprised by the end result, even if the path to it is foreseeable now.

Miura has been building Zodd up to be a pretty interesting guy. Not necessarily a dog taking orders (until Femto was incarnated...), but there's an independent streak to his personality that I can see his final moments going a few different ways.

I often come back to two scenarios: Zodd "redeems" himself by taking a swipe at his masters, and pays for it with his death. Or Zodd is a beast to the end, and dies in single combat against Guts--not Skull Knight. I think it would be more fitting for Guts to be the one to take him down, as someone who achieved so much while still retaining his humanity.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
especially since we saw him in Guts earlier life. I'd be more glad to see him die at Guts hands in my opinion.

I personally thinck that if someone takes Zodd's life then it should be Guts
I can not imagine Skull Knight killing him and it would make an more fitting death for Zoddif he dies while fighting Guts , in my opinion

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
I've always imagined Guts would be the one to finish Zodd. I think Skull Knight would be saved for a final battle with Void instead of Zodd. I guess I really wouldn't be upset either way though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Miura has been building Zodd up to be a pretty interesting guy. Not necessarily a dog taking orders (until Femto was incarnated...), but there's an independent streak to his personality that I can see his final moments going a few different ways.

I've always thought that Zodd would end up showing himself under a more... sympathetic(?) light in the end. It could be something as simple as going down fighting against Guts, but for himself, not for a master. He's definitely one of the more interesting apostles in the story, contrary to what one could assume given the relatively straightforward way his character is built.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I would like for Miura show a flash back for the loveable brute before he meets his end. It will undoubtedly happen. :zodd:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Truder said:
I would like for Miura show a flash back for the loveable brute before he meets his end. It will undoubtedly happen. :zodd:

There's definitely still a lot more we could learn about him. For example, what set Zodd out on the search for the "absolute strongest"? Did he have something specific in mind? Because based on the kanji used in volume 17 (later repeated by Schierke when talking to Flora about Femto in vol 24), and the wording in Episode 175, it seems to have been tied to Griffith all along. Which means in order to have recognized it then, this eventuality may have been foretold to him. So then, was there a hidden significance about the Falcon of Light's appearance to him in volume 17 beyond beating him in dream combat? For a guy who before the Eclipse bristled at the suggestion he was serving as gatekeeper for the ceremony, he was the very first to fall in line after Femto's incarnation.

It's easy to explain all of this away as simply: He was looking for the strongest and he found him. But I think there's more going on than that...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
it seems to have been tied to Griffith all along. Which means in order to have recognized it then, this eventuality may have been foretold to him. So then, was there a hidden significance about the Falcon of Light's appearance to him in volume 17 beyond beating him in dream combat? For a guy who before the Eclipse bristled at the suggestion he was serving as gatekeeper for the ceremony, he was the very first to fall in line after Femto's incarnation.

I don't know about that. I don't think Zodd always expected things to happen like that. In that scene, he was reflecting on his quest and his desire, even considering the Skull Knight as the most likely candidate. Then the Falcon of Light appeared, and granted him what he wished for: a fight. It defeated him utterly, and left a permanent mark (the loss of his horn) as proof, thus earning his loyalty. How many other apostles did Femto have to fight against before they were ready to serve him? I'd say none.

jackson_hurley

Well we know one who was not subdued. :ganishka: but I agree with your point Aaz.

As for what Walter said, if he indeed got an insight I'd be curious to know who...

Walter said:
I try not to think of situations like this too deeply, because I still want to be surprised by the end result, even if the path to it is foreseeable now.

I often come back to two scenarios: Zodd "redeems" himself by taking a swipe at his masters, and pays for it with his death.

I like this one a lot, but how would this occur? I want this to happen, I'm just not sure why it would.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NeaR said:
I like this one a lot, but how would this occur? I want this to happen, I'm just not sure why it would.

*Shrug* Like I said, I try not to think about the specifics too hard. I just think those two scenarios thematically fit with his character.

I've always liked Zodd pretty well. I don't really have much in mind for how he would meet his end, but I definitely don't think for a second that when he does die, he'll die peacefully. Also, it'd be pretty interesting to get a glimpse of per-apostle Zodd. But it's not very likely I imagine.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vodnak said:
Also, it'd be pretty interesting to get a glimpse of per-apostle Zodd. But it's not very likely I imagine.

Why do you say that? We've gotten origin stories on many other apostles, including the Count, Rochine, the Beherit-Apostle, Ganishka and even Balzac. Zodd's more important than all of those, so it'd only be natural for him to get a little backstory as well.

Walter said:
Why do you say that? We've gotten origin stories on many other apostles, including the Count, Rochine, the Beherit-Apostle, Ganishka and even Balzac. Zodd's more important than all of those, so it'd only be natural for him to get a little backstory as well.

I agree. It'd be lame if we didn't get backstory on Zodd (we definitely will). After all, he's the main apostle.

Walter said:

Right, I should elaborate.

The Count, Rochine, the Beherit-Apostle, Ganishka, and Balzac are lesser apostles in the overall story of Berserk, and the fact of the matter is, they've been given some back story after 37 volumes, yet Zodd hasn't. Perhaps it makes me a little doubtful, I just assume to not get my hopes up for it so when and if it doesn't happen I won't be disappointed. I would love to see the backstory for Zodd, but I don't know what Miura has in mind for him. There is no use in making a conjecture when I have no way of knowing.

Sorry if my worldview doesn't line up with yours, that's just how I see it. Always leave room for that disappointment. I've read way too many books that I had high hopes for, and I ended up disappointed in the end thanks to either a shitty ass ending or decline in overall quality of a series. Berserk certainly is different than most anything else I've read but, still doesn't mean it's not subject to the same rules as any other work of fiction.

jackson_hurley

Vodnak said:
Right, I should elaborate.

The Count, Rochine, the Beherit-Apostle, Ganishka, and Balzac are lesser apostles in the overall story of Berserk, and the fact of the matter is, they've been given some back story after 37 volumes, yet Zodd hasn't. Perhaps it makes me a little doubtful, I just assume to not get my hopes up for it so when and if it doesn't happen I won't be disappointed. I would love to see the backstory for Zodd, but I don't know what Miura has in mind for him. There is no use in making a conjecture when I have no way of knowing.

Sorry if my worldview doesn't line up with yours, that's just how I see it. Always leave room for that disappointment. I've read way too many books that I had high hopes for, and I ended up disappointed in the end thanks to either a shitty ass ending or decline in overall quality of a series. Berserk certainly is different than most anything else I've read but, still doesn't mean it's not subject to the same rules as any other work of fiction.

i can understand what you say to not get disappointed but consider this: The count was far from being a main apostle so was Rochine. But we still got a tiny backstory before they died. Beherit apostle almost before he died and Ganishka well he was a "big" apostle and we did get a backstory... before he died. So I think we did not get a backstory for him because (and I'm sure this is not a "must be" to get a backstory) he is not about to die... and the backstory were not given after 37 volumes but well distributed imo in the current of those 37. :guts:

jackson_hurley said:
i can understand what you say to not get disappointed but consider this: The count was far from being a main apostle so was Rochine. But we still got a tiny backstory before they died. Beherit apostle almost before he died and Ganishka well he was a "big" apostle and we did get a backstory... before he died. So I think we did not get a backstory for him because (and I'm sure this is not a "must be" to get a backstory) he is not about to die... and the backstory were not given after 37 volumes but well distributed imo in the current of those 37. :guts:

That's a great point, I guess I'll try to keep that in mind for the future. I'll still have to leave a little room though for being disappointed just in case, but hey I'm hoping that you're right and Zodd gets a few pages of his own dedicated to revealing the mystery surrounding his past. He's been one of my favorite characters in Berserk for a while.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vodnak said:
The Count, Rochine, the Beherit-Apostle, Ganishka, and Balzac are lesser apostles in the overall story of Berserk, and the fact of the matter is, they've been given some back story after 37 volumes, yet Zodd hasn't.

There's still plenty of time for it... Whereas there's no time left for those characters.

Perhaps it makes me a little doubtful, I just assume to not get my hopes up for it so when and if it doesn't happen I won't be disappointed.

This has nothing to do with "worldview." There's an established precedent from previous apostles that Zodd will very likely have his origins told. I don't understand why you're projecting the failings of other series onto Berserk. Sounds like you got burned on something. Miura, however, always exceeds my expectations.

Walter said:
This has nothing to do with "worldview." There's an established precedent from previous apostles that Zodd will very likely have his origins told. I don't understand why you're projecting the failings of other series onto Berserk. Sounds like you got burned on something. Miura, however, always exceeds my expectations.

I never said it had ANYTHING to do with worldview? I was explaining why I felt the way I did about Zodd's back story potentially not being told. If I'm wrong about that, then great I sure as hell hope I am. I don't know what Miura plans on doing. Why is what I'm saying being interpreted backwards?

And also, I'm not projecting the failings of other series onto Berserk at all, I made a generalized statement that explained my reasoning for not having high hopes for any material I read, based on MANY other works that I've had the pleasure/displeasure of reading. But I never "projected" these failings specifically onto Berserk. Experience has shown me that sudden dramatic changes can occur in anything, and those changes can be for either the better or the worse. Berserk is no different at all in that regard, I just hope when it does experience those changes it's for the better.

I think you're reading way too far into what I was saying, because that's certainly not what I meant.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vodnak said:
I never said it had ANYTHING to do with worldview?

Then what's this..?

Vodnak said:
Sorry if my worldview doesn't line up with yours, that's just how I see it.

I'm not confused. Because other series have disappointed you, you don't want to accept that it's likely Zodd's backstory will be told, despite the precedent being set. I don't think you're saying Berserk sucks or anything. I just find your preemptive disappointment, a result of other series' failings, a bit jaded for a series that has consistently delivered for more than 20 years.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
This argument is preposterous. We will definitely get to see Zodd's backstory, and I'm willing to take bets with anyone disagreeing.

Vodnak said:
The Count, Rochine, the Beherit-Apostle, Ganishka, and Balzac are lesser apostles in the overall story of Berserk, and the fact of the matter is, they've been given some back story after 37 volumes, yet Zodd hasn't.

Yeah but you have to consider that all of those listed were 'villain of the week' type Apostles for individual story arcs. Zodd is clearly a far more pivotal character in the overarching narrative and it stands to reason that his backstory will be revealed in the fullness of time.

Top Bottom