[WiP] Epsiode 306 Coloring

CheAkiwara

大天使 ~ ボイド
Hey guys ! :ubik:

You know how I colored a page just a few days ago (and failed miserable?)
Fear not , I have set my goal to ruin a whole episode this time ! :guts:

...Well actually Im just trying to hone my coloring skills , my idea was that I base color every page and post them here ,
listen to your feedback , change them If I want/have to , and then for the finishing touch shade every page !

Why do I even do this?
I kinda just wanna show of my love for Berserk and since I cant stand re-reading the whole manga every few months,
so why not shorten the wait time with some color love? :)

I actually finished coloring some off of the pages ; You can check them out here : http://imgur.com/a/iJCsj <- Updated.

P.S Looking for my OP? It´s gone ! but you can still find my first coloring here ; http://i.imgur.com/bOiiS84.jpg

Tell me your opinion and as always ,
have a berserk day !

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Re: [WiP] Colored a page from an episode

Hey Che, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing with us!

It looks like you're clear on the fundamentals for creating a colored page. From here, I would concentrate on messing with saturation, and adding dimension to what you've done so far.

Let's take the two farmers as an example here - Their clothes, hair and skin appear to have the exact same colors applied to them. You'll want to start by differentiating them a little more, and using brushes and gradients (layering these on top of each other) for the best effect with the different textures.

You'll definitely want to check out the following topics on this forum to help you get started:

Lith's Color tutorial - And don't forget her NEW TUTORIAL from 2010!

CnC's colors

D0dole's colors

Hopefully these will provide some inspiration!

EDIT: and of course, how could I forget? CnC's stickied post with lots of great info.

Re: [WiP] Colored a page from an episode

Welcome to the forum Che! May I ask what tools/program you use?

Coloring is hard work for sure. So don't feel bad for taking a few hours on a page. I actually recommend starting out by coloring just a few panels. That way you don't overwhelm yourself and can focus on refining your technique.

I'll echo with what Grail said about the saturation; try to vary the intensity of the colors. Here is a really good color theory tutorial that I highly recommend checking out.

What helps me before I begin coloring is just to think about the atmosphere,mood, and lighting of the scene. Where are the light sources? What time of day does the scene take place? Questions like this and considering the context can really help you out in choosing a color palette. If you ever have trouble starting, finding photographic references that have a similar color palette to what you want can help. Never be afraid to use a reference.

I look forward to seeing more from you!

CheAkiwara

大天使 ~ ボイド
First of all thanks for welcoming me ! C:
Im so sorry for taking so long to respond I totally forgot about this thread for a while but now Im back at coloring !

Gummyskull said:
May I ask what tools/program you use?
I now use a Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and Photoshop :)
Please make sure to check out my album in my OP , I´ve finally finished page 4 wich took me about 3 weeks ! Page 5 is still work in progress tho c-c !

I hope you guys like it ! As always have a berserk day !

Top Bottom