God in berserk

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Benin said:
Darn it all. :judo:

Thanks for the heads up.

Hehe, don't be sad, it's not the end of the world. I think one thing to keep in mind is that while Miura has inspired himself from existing religions to create those of Berserk, he is not likely to base the cosmology of Berserk's world on any single one of them in such a straightforward manner.

bandofthehawk (Salem) said:
Aaz has done so much homework everyone's ideas become murdered.

I think in the long run it's better to set things straight right away than to let people cling to ideas based on misconceptions. Because they'll be disappointed eventually, maybe years later, and when it happens they might not really understand why and be bitter because of it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Red Dingo said:
You don't fight an idea by stabbing it. You fight it by creating ripples and open people's minds to new possibilities.

The word "Idea" (ιδέα) in "Idea of Evil" is Greek, not English (and it's pronounced "ee-deh-ah"). It refers to Plato's Theory of Ideas and isn't just "an idea" as in something in one's mind that could be changed or forgotten. You can think of it as being the Source/Origin of Evil (which is what its name means in Japanese).

Aazealh said:
The word "Idea" (ιδέα) in "Idea of Evil" is Greek, not English (and it's pronounced "ee-deh-ah"). It refers to Plato's Theory of Ideas and isn't just "an idea" as in something in one's mind that could be changed or forgotten.

*sigh* I was going for wordplay.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Red Dingo said:
*sigh* I was going for wordplay.

Well then thank you for this valuable addition to the thread, it was well worth reviving it after 2 months in order for you to make it.

Aazealh said:
Well then thank you for this valuable addition to the thread, it was well worth reviving it after 2 months in order for you to make it.

Okay fine. While the Idea of Evil has inspiration from Plato's Theory of Ideas, it subverts the antiquated notion in that humanity predates it. It admits that it was born to give humans a reason for suffering, as an answer to their existential crises. A proper Form as described by Platonic Dialogues would be something that is in fact more real than the physical world. If the Idea was a proper ιδέα, it would be a perfect existence that was there before humanity came to be. You said it yourself, the Idea was created by Man. If Man can create one Idea, then surely he can create another.

So if the Idea of Evil is to be fought, it won't be with a sword.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Red Dingo said:
While the Idea of Evil has inspiration from Plato's Theory of Ideas, it subverts the antiquated notion in that humanity predates it.

That's not the point though, nor is it that Guts won't just stab the Idea of Evil. Those are obvious observations that were never really in doubt. The point is that the word is Greek and is indubitably a reference to Plato, and that your "word play" was misguided and needlessly confusing to the average reader.

Red Dingo said:
If the Idea was a proper ιδέα, it would be a perfect existence that was there before humanity came to be. You said it yourself, the Idea was created by Man. If Man can create one Idea, then surely he can create another.

I think your wording here denotes a confusion as to what exactly the Idea of Evil is. It's a consciousness, a sentience that was developed by a preexisting part of the world. To quote episode 83 directly:

Look around you
An ocean of feelings all humans have deep in their souls
A common consciousness that transcends individuality
Their collective consciousness
Its dark side is this swelling ocean
I was born from these swells
As the ego of this world

This world itself is I
The darkness that dwells in every human heart

That aside, this speech relates to the human condition itself, so I don't think "opening people's minds to new possibilities" would be a very effective means of altering the more basic subconscious instincts of the entire species. Besides, if we go by what's said in episode 83, the greatest threat to the Idea of Evil is simply knowledge of the world. A knowledge that is best embodied by magic users, whose business it is to understand how the world works so that they can better manipulate it. And yet even they cannot know what lies within the Abyss... Besides, somehow the practice of magic has all but disappeared, which can clue us in as to whose side has been winning that particular battle so far (not that we really needed it).

Other than that, your talk of ripples is a reference to the Skull Knight's talk to Guts in volume 18, but if you understand the talk and its context you realize that it's just not relevant at all here. The "ripples" he mentions in his figure of speech are a way for events in the corporeal world to slightly deviate from what was foreordained, but they just have no reach at all on the deeper parts of the astral world, much less on the Idea of Evil.

Top Bottom