Would Guts have done that for any one else in volume 6?

Ratty

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
Aazealh said:
We have seen black people, just not in prominent roles.

Yeah I'm just wondering on their origin. Did their peoples originate within the Kushan empire, which would seem a little odd since it's inspired by a historical South Asian/Indian empire (which then again could easily include more Africa-like countries because fiction) or from elsewhere on the globe? Just don't know yet.

Aazealh said:
You're conflating the Bakiraka, which is a clan whose members are typically lithe warriors (and look nothing at all like Donovan), with the Tapasa, a group of four elite warriors within said clan who rely solely on their physical strength to fight. Donovan was stocky, bald and reasonably muscular for a mercenary. The Tapasa are trained to the extreme and it shows on their bodies, who have become weapons themselves. This follows the philosophy of Kalaripayattu, for which hand-to-hand fighting is the final stage of learning. Anyway, aside from the fact they have no hair (probably removed because it could be a liability in battle), they have nothing in common with Donovan.

Ah ok, just goes to show I really need to sit down and read through the series again. Unfortunately I'm fairly busy and most of my books (including my manga and most of my western comics) are in storage right now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ratty said:
Yeah I'm just wondering on their origin. Did their peoples originate within the Kushan empire, which would seem a little odd since it's inspired by a historical South Asian/Indian empire, or from elsewhere on the globe? Just don't know yet.

There's no reason to assume they're related to the Kushan empire, especially since they don't actually look Kushan. There are many countries in Berserk we know only by name, and many more that were never named or referenced but that we know exist beyond the active scope of the story. It seems reasonable to assume those people came from one such places and just traveled the land as mercenaries.

Ratty

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
Aazealh said:
There's no reason to assume they're related to the Kushan empire, especially since they don't actually look Kushan. There are many countries in Berserk we know only by name, and many more that were never named or referenced but that we know exist beyond the active scope of the story. It seems reasonable to assume those people came from one such places and just traveled the land as mercenaries.

Very cool. I hope we get to see at least a little more of these countries, both for a glimpse at their societies (I'm a big anthropology fan and would love to see Miura's take on some other cultures) and to see how they're all dealing with the changed earth. Not like a major "Let's go exploring!" excursion to the main story but just some quick snapshots of life around the globe. And yeah I'd say a mix of traders and a few mercenaries, the latter being most of what we've seen. Going by our own history.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
I agree, more glimpses of other Berserk universe countries would be awesome. (I've mentioned it before, and I know it's really out of scope for the series, but I often find myself wondering what's going on in the Berserk-universe's South and Central America-analogue during all of this.)

Top Bottom