Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 50

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, speaking of this thread, we'll be recording this weekend to discuss Volume 10. So if there are any new audio question submissions, send them over to walter@skullknight.net

Really enjoyed the last batch, so please keep it up!

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
We just got to The New Batman Adventures and, man, it's a tough transition. Frankly, it looks like shit compared to TAS (the Joker is an unrecognizably simplified abomination), and overall everything feels a bit more cartoonish now (didn't help that the first production episode was a silly Christmas anthology). Also, gone are the lovely noir-style title cards for each episode, replaced by IMPACT font credits that look like they were made by windows movie maker. I've read the network was actually supposed to be less restrictive with this series, and we're only three episodes in, so we'll probably give it another chance, but the emphasis on Batman's buddies and the awful redesigns aren't making it easy. Rather than looking forward to seeing the continuation of TAS, I feel like it's already over.

Seriously? Season 4 was fantastic. It has some of the best episodes of the entire series. This is the first time I've heard anyone have a negative opinion towards it.

The themes get much more adult (see Over the Edge, and Old Wounds). Also, it paves the way for the series to be a shared universe from that point on.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Johnstantine said:
Seriously? Season 4 was fantastic. It has some of the best episodes of the entire series. This is the first time I've heard anyone have a negative opinion towards it.

I'd gladly be the first, but I know for a fact that's not true because I googled "Batman animated series season 4 sucks" last night and found some interesting debate on the subject. The episodes you mentioned, particularly the promising-sounding "Old Wounds," came up as retorts and some pointed to weak episodes in the earlier series as well (it's not really season 4, but a new show from the same people). Like I said, we've only seen three episodes so far: "Holiday Knights," which was quite the rude awakening, "Sins of the Father," which was decent though still strange to our TAS sensibilities, and "Cold Comfort," which would have been a more enjoyable followup to the TAS: Subzero movie if Mr. Freeze didn't look like garbage. I wish they had kept the redesigns more to a minimum like with Two-Face (even Batman and especially Bruce Wayne don't look so good).

Johnstantine said:
The themes get much more adult (see Over the Edge, and Old Wounds). Also, it paves the way for the series to be a shared universe from that point on.

First and full disclosure, I don't care about Superman, Justice League, or a shared universe. Secondly, the themes were plenty adult before, and so far I haven't noticed a big change aside from more direct references to murder and death, but with a lot more slapstick too. So, if we're talking about tone, that hardly compensates for everything looking like your typical modern bubbly Saturday morning cartoon. Even Batman himself isn't the same, I guess so we can focus more on Batgirl (who I enjoy about as much as Jar Jar Binks, even in the last series) and the new, literal, boy wonder. So far, this is like undoing every smart decision that made the original series so good (awesome tone and style, adult serve-as-you-please Robin, focus on Batman, villains). I mean, I'm going to stick with it, particularly because I haven't actually seen these episodes before (I thought it looked crappy then too =), but it's going to have to be pretty consistently good to win me over (more than a couple episodes; after all, all other things being equal, I'd rather watch tepid episodes in the old style). Even then, I can't help but see the loss of the Dark Deco style as tragic. I blame Clark for this!

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
I'd gladly be the first, but I know for a fact that's not true because I googled "Batman animated series season 4 sucks" last night and found some interesting debate on the subject. The episodes you mentioned, particularly the promising-sounding "Old Wounds," came up as retorts and some pointed to weak episodes in the earlier series as well (it's not really season 4, but a new show from the same people). Like I said, we've only seen three episodes so far: "Holiday Knights," which was quite the rude awakening, "Sins of the Father," which was decent though still strange to our TAS sensibilities, and "Cold Comfort," which would have been a more enjoyable followup to the TAS: Subzero movie if Mr. Freeze didn't look like garbage. I wish they had kept the redesigns more to a minimum like with Two-Face (even Batman and especially Bruce Wayne don't look so good).

Ok, sounds good. Sucks you don't enjoy it, but to each their own.

First and full disclosure, I don't care about Superman, Justice League, or a shared universe. Secondly, the themes were plenty adult before, and so far I haven't noticed a big change aside from more direct references to murder and death, but with a lot more slapstick too. So, if we're talking about tone, that hardly compensates for everything looking like your typical modern bubbly Saturday morning cartoon. Even Batman himself isn't the same, I guess so we can focus more on Batgirl (who I enjoy about as much as Jar Jar Binks, even in the last series) and the new, literal, boy wonder. So far, this is like undoing every smart decision that made the original series so good (awesome tone and style, adult serve-as-you-please Robin, focus on Batman, villains). I mean, I'm going to stick with it, particularly because I haven't actually seen these episodes before (I thought it looked crappy then too =), but it's going to have to be pretty consistently good to win me over (more than a couple episodes; after all, all other things being equal, I'd rather watch tepid episodes in the old style). Even then, I can't help but see the loss of the Dark Deco style as tragic. I blame Clark for this!

Ok, that's cool. Whatever floats your boat.

Batman isn't the same because there's a time skip and he's becoming more and more grumpy (he gets even grumpier as the series goes on, but since you don't plan on going past BTAS then I guess that doesn't matter). And introducing Nightwing and Batgirl, as well as Tim Drake was just a natural progression for the series. If you hate it now, then I can only imagine how much you're hate it when you see the redesigns of Bane, the Penguin, and Mr. Freeze.

But, hey, you don't like it. I get that. And that's cool.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
Ok, sounds good. Sucks you don't enjoy it, but to each their own.

Ok, that's cool. Whatever floats your boat.

Batman isn't the same because there's a time skip and he's becoming more and more grumpy (he gets even grumpier as the series goes on, but since you don't plan on going past BTAS then I guess that doesn't matter). And introducing Nightwing and Batgirl, as well as Tim Drake was just a natural progression for the series. If you hate it now, then I can only imagine how much you're hate it when you see the redesigns of Bane, the Penguin, and Mr. Freeze.

But, hey, you don't like it. I get that. And that's cool.

If this is some sort of reverse psychology... it's working, "Well, I don't hate it THAT much! :farnese:" :ganishka:

Also, I'd actually like to get to Batman Beyond, I'm just not too keen on following Superman and rest of of the Justice League, especially if Batman is simply going to become an increasingly grumpy version of himself. But, if it's good, I'll watch. The animation still stinks, though.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
If this is some sort of reverse psychology... it's working, "Well, I don't hate it THAT much! :farnese:" :ganishka:

Also, I'd actually like to get to Batman Beyond, I'm just not too keen on following Superman and rest of of the Justice League, especially if Batman is simply going to become an increasingly grumpy version of himself. But, if it's good, I'll watch. The animation still stinks, though.

Batman Beyond is actually one of my favorite series ever. Old man Bruce is awesome, and Terry does a great job as Batman. The movie the finishes off the series, Return of the Joker, was just amazing and created a lot of controversy in the Batman lore.

Superman was okay, but it wasn't AMAZING by any means. It suffered from a lot of boring episodes that didn't really go anywhere further down the line. But, at the same time, some of the best episodes from the DCAU are prominent through STAS. I'd give it a watch, if only for the sake of continuity that follows in JL/JLU (most of the villains are introduced in STAS).

JL and JLU were like a wet dream for me. They were awesome from start to finish. Not one bad episode (opinion, of course).

Also, I was seriously wasn't hating on your opinion. The series is important to me because it kick-started my love for DC, so it's basically a massive cornerstone. Regardless of that, I know that both the stories and the animation isn't for everyone.

[size=5pt]The animation from season 4 of BTAS through JLU is my favorite but that's just my opinion =)

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
Batman Beyond is actually one of my favorite series ever. Old man Bruce is awesome, and Terry does a great job as Batman. The movie the finishes off the series, Return of the Joker, was just amazing and created a lot of controversy in the Batman lore.

Yep, Old Man Wayne, endangering more youngsters for his personal crusade, that's what I'm' looking forward to. :guts:

Johnstantine said:
Superman was okay, but it wasn't AMAZING by any means. It suffered from a lot of boring episodes that didn't really go anywhere further down the line. But, at the same time, some of the best episodes from the DCAU are prominent through STAS. I'd give it a watch, if only for the sake of continuity that follows in JL/JLU (most of the villains are introduced in STAS).

JL and JLU were like a wet dream for me. They were awesome from start to finish. Not one bad episode (opinion, of course).

Also, I was seriously wasn't hating on your opinion. The series is important to me because it kick-started my love for DC, so it's basically a massive cornerstone. Regardless of that, I know that both the stories and the animation isn't for everyone.

[size=5pt]The animation from season 4 of BTAS through JLU is my favorite but that's just my opinion =)

Different formative experiences I suppose. For me TAS was it, I didn't give Supes and the subsequent series' the time of day, so they're no cornerstone for me, and I've never been much into the overall DC universe. We watched a couple more tonight, "Double Talk" was really good, felt right at home with it (so much so I didn't even mind the new style, had a good comic book vibe actually). "You Scratch My Back" wasn't bad either, except that Catwoman looks the worst of all the new designs so far. I really don't get it, the overall changeover's not so dramatic that they couldn't have attempted to translate them with some continuity (random thugs still look like they used to, just with simpler lines, but Catwoman now looks like an anthropomorphic ink blot). Scarecrow in "Never Fear" on the other hand... yikes! That's at least his third design that I recall and I don't think he's ever looked scarier.

Johnstantine said:

You can add me to the list of "season 4" haters. They ditched the classic intro and the animation quality went way down. It's an entirely different show as far as I'm concerned. Some of the episodes are still fun though...

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Fasty McNasty said:
You can add me to the list of "season 4" haters. They ditched the classic intro and the animation quality went way down. It's an entirely different show as far as I'm concerned. Some of the episodes are still fun though...

Sorry, but intros don't really make or break a series for me.

Essentially, it is a different show. It came out two years after season 3, so they had much bigger plans for it.

Griffith said:
Different formative experiences I suppose. For me TAS was it, I didn't give Supes and the subsequent series' the time of day, so they're no cornerstone for me, and I've never been much into the overall DC universe.

Can't argue with that! We're all different and enjoy different things--which is why I said it's all good=)

Griffith said:
We watched a couple more tonight, "Double Talk" was really good, felt right at home with it (so much so I didn't even mind the new style, had a good comic book vibe actually). "You Scratch My Back" wasn't bad either, except that Catwoman looks the worst of all the new designs so far. I really don't get it, the overall changeover's not so dramatic that they couldn't have attempted to translate them with some continuity (random thugs still look like they used to, just with simpler lines, but Catwoman now looks like an anthropomorphic ink blot). Scarecrow in "Never Fear" on the other hand... yikes! That's at least his third design that I recall and I don't think he's ever looked scarier.

Yeah, those are all great episodes. There's a Mr. Freeze episode that's later in the season that actually plants some seeds for a Batman Beyond story. It's really good, but don't expect any closure.

Oh, speaking of Mr. Freeze...every one of his episodes in the series are among my favorites. "Deep Freeze" is probably my favorite episode out of the entire BTAS. Michael Ansara is the only one would could have pulled him off and still left such a lasting impression on the character. Maurice La'marche voiced him in Arkham City, but it was no where near as powerful.

Top Bottom