Episode 337

RotDragon

Control your instincts.
Rhombaad said:
I'm pretty sure Rickert will continue to live in Falconia. Like you said, he cares most about Erika's safety, and they can't survive outside the city walls at this point. I do wonder if one of the apostles will pay Rickert a visit, though. I don't think Griffith cares enough to order an apostle to kill Rickert, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of them went to see him of its own volition.

I agree with you, but if we think, what if an apostle shows up to Rickert? I know that he built several deadly machinery but to fight face to face with an apostle, i think it's too much for him. That's why i believe that's the time to some friend help; like Sonia or Mule, something like that, entagles even more the story! xD

Rhombaad said:
That remains to be seen, doesn't it? I imagine we'll get some clues to how the final battle will go down once the group has spent some time in Elfhelm.

That's true! But to see Guts by himself (and his companions) destroy all the demon army and face the people in Falconia maybe is not what is going to happen. My reasons to this is that the balance of the actual human world will be (even more) crushed; since in Falconia demons and humans are side by side, maybe Guts - or the elves in Elfhelm - will have to use another strategy. :puck:

Rhombaad said:
I think she'll eventually fight alongside Guts.

HUAHAH I agree too! Because, in my point of view, Guts will not fight if Caska does not want to, and then no epic battle will happen and everybody will live happilly in Elfhelm, end of the manga!! HUAHUAHA xD

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
RotDragon said:
I agree with you, but if we think, what if an apostle shows up to Rickert? I know that he built several deadly machinery but to fight face to face with an apostle, i think it's too much for him. That's why i believe that's the time to some friend help; like Sonia or Mule, something like that, entagles even more the story! xD

Well, for the hypothetical situation you're proposing, Daiba and Garuda could always lend a hand. But I don't think Rickert's in any immediate danger.

RotDragon

Control your instincts.
Aazealh said:
So... you're agreeing with me?

Yes! x)

Aazealh said:
The most important people of Albion? You mean Luca and her girls? Anyway, the problem isn't so much Falconia's citizens as it is Griffith's own power. I think this really is the biggest problem for Guts to overcome, and it hasn't changed since volume 3. The apostles, while they're a big deal, are less of a problem I think, as he won't necessarily have to fight them all, or at least not all at once. Besides, out of that whole horde, I think only the cream of the crop are a serious threat anymore.

HUAHUA Yeeees and nooo! XD The most important people that i was saying is the Pope and the Vandimion lots of money for example. You are right! I believe too that Guts will find another way to face that army without using the Dragonslayer.

Aazealh said:
I think your previous question and this one can be addressed as one. The big player you're not mentioning here is Guts and Casca's son. Femto has taken over his body, but the boy still exists, and he still greatly cares for his parents. I believe that in the end, he will prove to be Griffith's fatal weakness, the crack that will allow Guts to pierce through. At the time same, the possibility that killing Griffith might also mean killing their son is undoubtedly going to be a source of extreme distress for both Guts & Casca. Just as much as knowing what Griffith did to him might be. I believe this multifactor dilemma holds the promise for some very dramatic storytelling.

Oh man! It's true, he rly can walks in! :ubik:
But what about the prophecy that Zodd said, that the Skull Knight was leading Guts to the same path he did. Skull Knight Guts was foretold? XD

Walter said:
Well, for the hypothetical situation you're proposing, Daiba and Garuda could always lend a hand. But I don't think Rickert's in any immediate danger.

You are right, it will take time to something happens. Until Guts return the story will be about Falconia itself i believe. With so many characters inside something cool got to happen! (:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
RotDragon said:
The most important people that i was saying is the Pope and the Vandimion lots of money for example.

Neither of them were present at the Tower of Albion. I believe you're confusing it with Vritannis.

RotDragon said:
But what about the prophecy that Zodd said, that the Skull Knight was leading Guts to the same path he did. Skull Knight Guts was foretold?

That's not a prophecy, Zodd was just asking the Skull Knight a question. Anyway he was talking about the Berserk's armor and what it does to its wearer. It's another subject entirely.

When Zodd first recognized the berserker armor on Guts he was simply asking SK if he intended on having Guts follow in his footsteps. This is not a prophecy but rather foreshadowing for a dilemma Guts will have to face further down the line. SK might have painted a picture of this scenario when he stated what Guts wants may not be what Caska wants once her mind is revived. The reason I say this is because Guts will likely be faced with the decision to either settle down with Caska or continue pursuing his revenge against Griffith which I think we all can agree he or rather the dark beast inside him truly wants.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TripleJMaster3 said:
When Zodd first recognized the berserker armor on Guts he was simply asking SK if he intended on having Guts follow in his footsteps. This is not a prophecy but rather foreshadowing for a dilemma Guts will have to face further down the line. SK might have painted a picture of this scenario when he stated what Guts wants may not be what Casca wants once her mind is revived.

I don't think the two events are related. Like I said in the post just above yours, Zodd was referring to what happens to those who wear the Berserk's armor. It's not the kind of item one should take lightly, as we have now seen many times with Guts. And from what we know of SK's history, it is likely he fought to death while wearing it.

TripleJMaster3 said:
The reason I say this is because Guts will likely be faced with the decision to either settle down with Casca or continue pursuing his revenge against Griffith which I think we all can agree he or rather the dark beast inside him truly wants.

I don't think settling down with Casca will be possible, or at least not durably so. Sooner or later something will prompt them to go out after Griffith once more. It could be that he'll pose a danger to the whole world ("Elfhelm might be the last to fall, but in the end, it will fall"), or it could be for a more personal reason (their child...). Either way, I don't think Guts and Casca will be separated again like they were in the past. She can deal with the Beast of Darkness. :casca:

RotDragon

Control your instincts.
Aazealh said:
I don't think the two events are related. Like I said in the post just above yours, Zodd was referring to what happens to those who wear the Berserk's armor. It's not the kind of item one should take lightly, as we have now seen many times with Guts. And from what we know of SK's history, it is likely he fought to death while wearing it.

That is what i believe too. Since it was told that the last person who used the Berserker Armor died because the same armor drops every drop of the user's blood. Then, when SK died by the armor, something awakens that transform him into the same we know. It was not told if the cause was the armor itself or some behelit, or another thing completly different, like magic. But the same thing can happen with Guts, just like SK said "you will lose many things, heat, vision..." and i remember the armor itself saying that it will remain controlled because it will wait for some hate crisis of Guts to unleash its full potential, and maybe this will kill Guts by the same reasons SK was killed. That is why i said "SK Guts" was coming.

Aazealh said:
I don't think settling down with Casca will be possible, or at least not durably so. Sooner or later something will prompt them to go out after Griffith once more. It could be that he'll pose a danger to the whole world ("Elfhelm might be the last to fall, but in the end, it will fall"), or it could be for a more personal reason (their child...). Either way, I don't think Guts and Casca will be separated again like they were in the past. She can deal with the Beast of Darkness. :casca:

I agree with you, but Casca will have to get some "special powers" like the rest of the group. I think Casca will get some dark magic, like the one she used on that church saga to get out of the iron maiden.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
RotDragon said:
Since it was told that the last person who used the Berserker Armor died because the same armor drops every drop of the user's blood.

It's not that the armor "drops" the blood of the user, but it keeps its wearer fighting regardless of what damage they sustain, and so the previous user fought to the death that way.

RotDragon said:
Then, when SK died by the armor, something awakens that transform him into the same we know. It was not told if the cause was the armor itself or some Beherit, or another thing completly different, like magic. But the same thing can happen with Guts, just like SK said "you will lose many things, heat, vision..."

We are not told what happened to the previous wearer of the armor, but I think it's safe to rule out both the Berserk's armor itself or a beherit as a possible cause for his survival... And when SK told Guts that he would lose many things, he was talking about the long term side-effects of wearing the Berserk's armor (which Guts has already started experiencing), but not about what eventually happened to him.

RotDragon said:
i remember the armor itself saying that it will remain controlled because it will wait for some hate crisis of Guts to unleash its full potential, and maybe this will kill Guts by the same reasons SK was killed. That is why i said "SK Guts" was coming.

That was the Beast of Darkness, not the Berserk's armor (Guts was not wearing it at the time). So in essence it was Guts talking to himself. The Beast of Darkness is a personification of the darker parts of his mind.

RotDragon said:
I agree with you, but Casca will have to get some "special powers" like the rest of the group. I think Casca will get some dark magic, like the one she used on that church saga to get out of the iron maiden.

I'm not very worried about Casca's fighting prowess. But you're mistaken, what happened during the Conviction arc (what you erroneously referred to as the "church saga") wasn't her exhibiting dark magic, it was a huge mass of evil spirits that were all drawn to her because of her Brand (and there were so many because that torture room had seen many, many deaths). Casca would have been killed by that mass of evil if it hadn't been for her son, who appeared at that time to protect her from it.

Aazealh said:

No not directly related, but rather key dialogues in regard to the future of this story. If Guts continues to fight in the Berserker armor he will ultimately end up like SK. I dont think any magical companinon will be able to prevent this from happening forever. SK said Guts and a mentally revived Caska may not want the same. So far the only thing I can think SK would be referring to is whether or not they should try to kill Griffith, especially if his life force is directly connected to their child. However, maybe what he is referring to is Guts' feelings for Casca and that once mentally sound she will no longer feel the same way, intimately, about Guts.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TripleJMaster3 said:
If Guts continues to fight in the Berserker armor he will ultimately end up like SK. I dont think any magical companinon will be able to prevent this from happening forever.

Well like I told RotDragon, we don't know what it was that turned the Skull Knight into what he is right now. I wouldn't assume that it can be replicated for Guts (and I'm absolutely certain that it'll never happen). What's sure is that using the armor wantonly would result in his death. As for whether a careful use, magical aid and help from his companions could make it possible for him to keep relying on it without it being too detrimental... We'll see. Elfhelm holds the key to that question.

TripleJMaster3 said:
SK said Guts and a mentally revived Casca may not want the same. So far the only thing I can think SK would be referring to is whether or not they should try to kill Griffith, especially if his life force is directly connected to their child. However, maybe what he is referring to is Guts' feelings for Casca and that once mentally sound she will no longer feel the same way, intimately, about Guts.

What the Skull Knight said could be interpreted in quite a few ways, including that Casca may not even want to be restored to her former self.

Aazealh said:
Well like I told RotDragon, we don't know what it was that turned the Skull Knight into what he is right now. I wouldn't assume that it can be replicated for Guts (and I'm absolutely certain that it'll never happen). What's sure is that using the armor wantonly would result in his death. As for whether a careful use, magical aid and help from his companions could make it possible for him to keep relying on it without it being too detrimental... We'll see. Elfhelm holds the key to that question.

What the Skull Knight said could be interpreted in quite a few ways, including that Casca may not even want to be restored to her former self.

Yes, we really don't know what caused SK's transformation or even how is human form died. There seems to be a strong possibility that SK could be King Gaiseric. If this is the case his death and transformation could be linked to the god hand (angels).

As for Casca, there are quite a few possibilities, as you said, of what SK's words could mean for her. However, I don't know if in her mental state if she has the capacity to refuse mental restoration. :???: I guess we will have to wait for the next episode, a fact that all Berserk readers must become accustom to. I for one have added reading the conclusion of this great story to my bucket list.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TripleJMaster3 said:
Yes, we really don't know what caused SK's transformation or even how is human form died. There seems to be a strong possibility that SK could be King Gaiseric. If this is the case his death and transformation could be linked to the god hand (angels).

I'd go ahead and say it's a foregone conclusion that the Skull Knight was indeed at some point in his life Emperor Gaiseric. As for how he came to be what he is now, my speculation on the matter is that he refused to die. His astral self refused to move on into the great ocean of souls, and his allies, maybe the same dwarves that had created the Berserk's armor, fashioned another magical suit of armor for him, one that could hold his soul "captive" and allow him to haunt the world like he has for a thousand years. I believe this story is likely to be revealed to us in Elfhelm.

TripleJMaster3 said:
As for Casca, there are quite a few possibilities, as you said, of what SK's words could mean for her. However, I don't know if in her mental state if she has the capacity to refuse mental restoration. :???:

No, of course not, but the point is that if she were to be brought back, she might not be thankful for it, or at least have trouble accepting it. She's in this condition in the first place for a good reason, and I think the healing process will be painful for her, just as it has been (and still is) for Guts. She could even resist it.

RotDragon

Control your instincts.
Aazealh said:
I'd go ahead and say it's a foregone conclusion that the Skull Knight was indeed at some point in his life Emperor Gaiseric. As for how he came to be what he is now, my speculation on the matter is that he refused to die. His astral self refused to move on into the great ocean of souls, and his allies, maybe the same dwarves that had created the Berserk's armor, fashioned another magical suit of armor for him, one that could hold his soul "captive" and allow him to haunt the world like he has for a thousand years. I believe this story is likely to be revealed to us in Elfhelm.

About that, we really dont know if Gaiseric gained his abilities of SK because of the Berserk Armor (since the same armor had the skull shape on the helmet), or it was by the Behelit. And when i say about the Behelit it is because his kingdom was vaniquished by the Eclipse; remember when the band of the hawk was going to rescue Griffith, and then the torch falls showing that there was once a city that ends with its people marked with the sacrifice sign. I think it has more connection about the reason for SK hates the demons, since Charlotte said that the King Gaiseric and his nobles live a Baco`s life, full of orgies, wine and things like that, then - one day - they were punished by FIVE angels sent by god. Once they arrive in Elfhelm the story will be told ( i hope xD).

Aazealh said:
No, of course not, but the point is that if she were to be brought back, she might not be thankful for it, or at least have trouble accepting it. She's in this condition in the first place for a good reason, and I think the healing process will be painful for her, just as it has been (and still is) for Guts. She could even resist it.

Guys, remember how Guts react when he awakens in that cavern after the Eclipse? It radically change his life forever, he became another person. Now imagine for Casca, that not only lost hers companions but was raped by the same guy she admire, gave birth to a demon child and awakens in a completly different world. I think she will not want to fight (and that is why SK told this to Guts, since he is going to make the decision), not only because the skill she have will not be enough to fight demons and monsters (if the weapon isn't magic or the Dragonslayer, it can not harm beings not human - Godeau said something like that about the Dragonslayer) but she has not the rage Guts have. Rickert didn't rage and it is not of the persona of Casca to do so (but is Gatts'). That's why i have two thoughts: 1) Guts will not allow Casca regain hers sanity, in order to fight Griffith; 2) Even if Casca regains her sanity and wants to fight, she will need or a new magic weapon to fight or she will use some kind of magic. And we can always wait the Demon Child shows up, he/she doesn't appear in a while now...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
RotDragon said:
About that, we really dont know if Gaiseric gained his abilities of SK because of the Berserk Armor (since the same armor had the skull shape on the helmet), or it was by the Beherit.

I don't think it was either, and neither should you.

RotDragon said:
And when i say about the Beherit it is because his kingdom was vaniquished by the Eclipse; remember when the band of the hawk was going to rescue Griffith, and then the torch falls showing that there was once a city that ends with its people marked with the sacrifice sign. I think it has more connection about the reason for SK hates the demons, since Charlotte said that the King Gaiseric and his nobles live a Baco`s life, full of orgies, wine and things like that, then - one day - they were punished by FIVE angels sent by god.

In volume 18, Guts and Puck meet the Skull Knight. Puck notices then that he has an "elfin aura" about him, a notion that reinforces what I just told you, and that, along with the fact the Skull Knight elicits no reaction from the Brand, makes it extremely unlikely that he is evil. You say "Emperor Gaiseric's kindgom was vanquished by the Eclipse", but that's not what we're told when the members of the Band of the Falcon discuss the legend with Charlotte. The capital city was destroyed during a cataclysmic event, that is all we know. Four or five angels are involved, according to the legend. The exact number isn't known for sure, just as the tale itself is unreliable. The reason it was destroyed is unknown.

We do see branded skulls, but there is no context provided for them. So while it is reasonable to assume a sacrifice occurred and was related to the destruction of the city and Gaiseric's downfall, there is no reason to assume the sacrifice was performed by Gaiseric himself. Rather, given the parallels between him and Guts, one should wonder whether he himself might have been sacrificed. If Gaiseric had become a member of the God Hand (the word "demon" has no specific meaning here), he obviously would not be opposing the God Hand, nor would he be helping Guts.

RotDragon said:
Guys, remember how Guts react when he awakens in that cavern after the Eclipse? It radically change his life forever, he became another person.

It certainly had a strong impact, but I wouldn't say that he became another person.

RotDragon said:
I think she will not want to fight (and that is why SK told this to Guts, since he is going to make the decision), not only because the skill she have will not be enough to fight demons and monsters (if the weapon isn't magic or the Dragonslayer, it can not harm beings not human - Godeau said something like that about the Dragonslayer) but she has not the rage Guts have.

You are making a ton of assumptions here. First, like we talked about, SK's line could mean many different things. We don't know for sure. I also don't think we should dwell on it too much, as it could very well be something more subtle and complicated than an A/B choice. Second, Casca was a great warrior, and there's no reason to think she won't be able to adapt to fight apostles or other supernatural creatures. I'm also really not too worried about the difficulty of procuring magical equipment in Elfhelm. Third, you're mistaken about Godot's line about the Dragon Slayer, he never said anything of the sort. Apostles can be killed by non-magical weapons.

RotDragon said:
Rickert didn't rage and it is not of the persona of Casca to do so (but is Guts').

Not sure I'd say that Casca isn't prone to anger... That aside, I don't get your point here. Rickert didn't "rage", but he did slap Griffith in the face and told him what was up without flinching in this very episode. And Casca has a lot more reasons to be angry/resentful than Rickert does.

RotDragon said:
That's why i have two thoughts: 1) Guts will not allow Casca regain hers sanity, in order to fight Griffith;

Dude, Guts has been traveling to Elfhelm for years now specifically to protect Casca. In volume 17 he decided he wouldn't repeat the mistakes of the past and went after her. He has stayed with her ever since, and has already chosen her over his revenge on Griffith, a choice he has repeated a few times since. To go to Elfhelm and just leave her to go fight Griffith would be almost identifical to what he did in volume 14. It would be a huge mistake, and would be going back on everything he's done for the past 20 volumes. There is just no way Guts will ever voluntarily do that.

RotDragon said:
2) Even if Casca regains her sanity and wants to fight, she will need or a new magic weapon to fight or she will use some kind of magic.

Do you think that would be a problem? For her to find appropriate equipment in Elfhelm? Like I said I'm really not too worried about it.

RotDragon said:
And we can always wait the Demon Child shows up, he/she doesn't appear in a while now...

As far as the story goes, he just left the group. His last appearance was in episode 327.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
rashikal said:
does anyone know when 338 will be released? or how long the hiatus will be? :???:

You can be sure that when that information becomes available that it will be posted somewhere on this site.

All this Casca discussion has me really excited for (hopefully) seeing her take down her first apostle post-occultation ceremony. If/when she takes up her sword again…man, that'll be a great day.

Aazealh said:
I'd go ahead and say it's a foregone conclusion that the Skull Knight was indeed at some point in his life Emperor Gaiseric. As for how he came to be what he is now, my speculation on the matter is that he refused to die.

Im glad you pointed this out. SK had previously referred to Guts as a "struggler" against fate, so it is very possible that he also found a way to escape the eclipse, which could be what caused the downfall of his empire. The real question is what specifically caused his transformation as it does not seem to be linked to any evil elements since, as you have already pointed out, the Brand has no reaction to his presense. Could it be that his transformation is linked to sorcery (witch) or perhaps powers bestowed upon him from the elf king which if correct would support your idea of an upcoming revelation in Elfhelm? Far fetched but I am short on possiblities that fall in line with the story. :badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TripleJMaster3 said:
Im glad you pointed this out. SK had previously referred to Guts as a "struggler" against fate

He just calls him a struggler, not a struggle "against fate" specifically.

TripleJMaster3 said:
The real question is what specifically caused his transformation as it does not seem to be linked to any evil elements since, as you have already pointed out, the Brand has no reaction to his presense. Could it be that his transformation is linked to sorcery (witch) or perhaps powers bestowed upon him from the elf king which if correct would support your idea of an upcoming revelation in Elfhelm? Far fetched but I am short on possiblities that fall in line with the story.

My standard theory is that he died and because he wanted to keep fighting and not rejoin the great ocean of souls, the elves/dwarves fashioned him a magical suit of armor that could contain his soul. Thus he has existed that way for a thousand years, neither truly alive nor dead.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Aazealh said:
My standard theory is that he died and because he wanted to keep fighting and not rejoin the great ocean of souls, the elves/dwarves fashioned him a magical suit of armor that could contain his soul. Thus he has existed that way for a thousand years, neither truly alive nor dead.

But he is alive...in our hearts.

RotDragon

Control your instincts.
That is why he looks so eerie? Because his armor was given to Guts?
At first, I thought that SK was just a presence (some sort of a wander-spirit like), but the way he crafted that behelit sword, for me, means that he is far beyond just a spirit that does not to die. I hope Elfheim shows us soon the answer :sad:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
RotDragon said:
That is why he looks so eerie? Because his armor was given to Guts?

Uhhh, no? He's been wearing the same armor since his introduction in volume 9, and he's also always been "eerie". The fact Guts is now using an armor the Skull Knight wore a thousand years ago is irrelevant to that fact.

RotDragon said:
At first, I thought that SK was just a presence (some sort of a wander-spirit like), but the way he crafted that Beherit sword, for me, means that he is far beyond just a spirit that does not to die. I hope Elfhelm shows us soon the answer :sad:

Well he's certainly more than a "presence" since he seemingly has a corporeal form. As for who and what he really is, I do suspect that Elfhelm will provide us with some answers.

Isn't it possible that the Skull knight is the former owner of the red Beherit ?

I've always imagined him supposed to be the 5th God Hand but then refuse this power, either because he didn't fall in the trap (like the illusion griffith had) of the other god hand's members or because he refused the transformation after he talked to God (as in the hidden episode). The second possiility would explain why everybody in the tower was marked.

That's also why he would be so close to (Edit: griffith) Guts : the two of them has escape causality.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
murata said:
Isn't it possible that the Skull knight is the former owner of the red Beherit ?

It's not very likely at this point, for a multitude of reasons.

murata said:
The second possiility would explain why everybody in the tower was marked.

It seems hard to believe that someone would change their mind after having made the sacrifice.

murata said:
That's also why he would be so close to griffith : the two them has escape causality.

I take it you wrote Griffith instead of Guts here, as the Skull Knight and Griffith aren't close, and Griffith has rather embraced causality. But regardless, neither Guts nor the Skull Knight have "escaped causality".

Yes, i wanted to say Guts :) My bad

Can you tell why you think it's not possible that the skullknight can't be the former owner of the beherit ?

And i really think that guts escape partially the causality. The god hand's member were suprised to see him survived and they are supposed to know all what is going to happen.

Ps: i'm not a pro of berserk. Only read the manga twice, so it's only my humble opinion :)

Top Bottom