Votes: 21 27.6%
  • Conviction

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Millennium Falcon

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Fantasia

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
It's difficult if not impossible for me to pick just one, but for the sake of the poll I would have to say the Conviction Arc. It brings all the different threads of the previous two arcs together so perfectly while also moving things ahead into new, exciting territory. Plus this arc contains some of my personal all time favorite Berserkian moments and characters. I'm a huge Beherit Apostle fan. So let's here yours! What is your personal favorite arc and why?

For me it's a close tie between the Millenium Falcon and the Conviction arc. Although i prefer the Millenium Falcon by a bit, especially for the fantastic world buildung and themes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I can't choose one over others. I just don't think of the story in terms of arcs. Someone on our podcast recently asked our favorite Volume, and that was a tall order, but I boiled it down to "favorite moment" which I'd already answered (the moment Griffith decides to make the sacrifice). But to use the same logic for an entire arc seems a little reductive. So... I'll stay out of it!

Oburi

All praise Grail
It's almost impossible to pick a favorite but I guess I'd go with Millennium Falcon Arc. Although with the way the Fantasia Arc is going I can easily see that one being a favorite. I guess My favorite arc ends up being whichever one is currently happening lol.

I tend to lean towards the newer stuff though in general, starting with Millennium Falcon. I feel like that's when the story "truly" begins. I know Miura made a similar comment at the time, and I take it more literally. That's also why I secretly hope there is one more story arc after Fantasia so that, in my mind, we get a sort of trilogy of arcs that make up the main bulk of the story. Of course this all just my own bullshit.

Oburi said:
I tend to lean towards the newer stuff though in general, starting with Millennium Falcon. I feel like that's when the story "truly" begins. I know Miura made a similar comment at the time, and I take it more literally.

Interesting. Do you have a link to that source by any chance?
I sort of agree. A lot has happened to build up to where we are now and I cannot wait to see how the Fantasia arc shapes up to be.

It's near impossible for me to choose a favorite, but my vote will go toward the Black Swordsman arc. I was full of questions the whole way through which kept me wanting more. The ending of volume 1 with the behelit was the perfect cliffhanger and volume 3 blew me away when the God Hand showed up. Plus, showing Griffith as a human and as Femto was the perfect combination of understanding and wanting to know more. Finally, after reading the Golden Age arc I was able to enjoy the Black Swordsman arc even more. Guts' beginning relationship with Puck was great too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vaati said:
Interesting. Do you have a link to that source by any chance?

It was a YA comment in 2001 that we only got in passing. Here's a post by Aaz explaining it:

Aazealh said:
a comment from Miura in the YA n°2 of 2001 in which he said among other things "グリフィスが登場して、やっとスタートラインに立った気がする。" That can be translated like this: "With the appearance of Griffith, I have the feeling that I am on the starting line at last."

This refers to Femto's incarnation of course, back at the end of volume 21.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
It's a tall order, but I think Millennium Falcon contains the most number of my favorite moments so far. I don't doubt Fantasia will give it a run for its money before too long though.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I went with the conviction arc since it contains my favorite chapters. but then again in the millennium arc there is also a chapter I like very much! (and yes I meant chapter not episodes)

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Millennium Falcon winning?

funny.gif

Hey first post!

I picked the conviction arc as my favorite. I really enjoyed the story and the art work the best. The second eclipse and incarnation was insane. I liked the Mozgus character (he's a twisted guy). :mozgus: And of course Guts and his battles through the ARC and his relationships with new characters.

First post o/

Hard choice, but my favorite arc is Golden Age (I know, I know, super mainstream).

I like the character development in this arc and well, the eclipse scene is just to awesome. :ubik:

This is literally one of the hardest questions I've ever had to answer :p In the end, I chose the power of "default" by choosing the Conviction arc, just for the simple fact that it has my favorite Berserk moment (volume 17, cave revelation). But yeah, it's almost impossible to choose especially considering that they ALL contain brilliant moments of pure genius. Though, I'm surprised that some chose the Fantasia arc, especially considering that it just started. I mean seriously, you telling me an arc that just started, that is not even close to completion, already trumps all the development and epic moments that came before it? Calm down people, wait a bit. LOL! The Blackswordman Arc is a brilliant introduction, but it isn't enough to stand up to the others. Falcon, Conviction, and Millennium Falcon are all very much equal in quality really.

IronBerserk said:
I'm surprised that some chose the Fantasia arc, especially considering that it just started. I mean seriously, you telling me an arc that just started, that is not even close to completion, already trumps all the development and epic moments that came before it? Calm down people, wait a bit. LOL!

Rickert hype! But seriously, I think it would have been best to leave Fantasia out of the vote until it is at least close to finished.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I voted for the Golden Age arc because, as for many, it was the one that made me fall in love with the series. Nostalgia aside, it's also arguably still the best, most important and most consequential part. The Falcons, Casca, young Guts and Griff, intrigue, friendship, love, betrayel, murder, revenge. I have Millennium Falcon a close second, but still, it's hard to top killing off almost the entire cast in addition to all that other great stuff. :zodd:

puella

Berserk forever
Griffith said:
I voted for the Golden Age arc because, as for many, it was the one that made me fall in love with the series.
For me, it's the Black Swordsman arc. I'm a big fan of it. Guts, Puck, the God Hand, apostles... It contains everything I like about the series.
When I first saw Colette holding the severed head of the old man, smiling evily, I foresaw it would be my favorite manga. :azan:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
puella said:
For me, it's the Black Swordsman arc. I'm a big fan of it. Guts, Puck, the God Hand, apostles... It contains everything I like about the series.

So, you must be extra disappointed that portion wasn't utilized for the film project where it would have been perfect? Then again, considering the results, maybe it's more like it was spared. :puck:

Anyway, yeah, it still holds up great. I think if it wasn't the first arc and didn't get taken for granted it'd be universally regarded as maybe the highlight of the series thus far. It's like the quintessential Berserk story featuring the seeds of everything Miura's expanded upon since; Guts' crusade against Apostles, his pain and inner struggle, and his inevitable confrontation with Femto and the God Hand. Plus, if you see it like a little self-contained mini-Berserk and extrapolate based on it's themes and character choices, it's potentially quite revealing of Miura's sensibilities where the end game is concerned (naturally he's probably changed in 25 years). I certainly begs interesting questions regarding what choices the main characters will ultimately make for themselves and their loved ones; revenge, redemption, sacrifice (hopefully not the official kind =)?

puella said:
When I first saw Colette holding the severed head of the old man, smiling evily, I foresaw it would be my favorite manga. :azan:

:ganishka:

puella

Berserk forever
Griffith said:
So, you must be extra disappointed that portion wasn't utilized for the film project where it would have been perfect? Then again, considering the results, maybe it's more like it was spared. :puck:
Yes! I cursed them for omitting the Black Swordsman arc. They could have made one good movie from it instead of three terrible Golden Age arc movies. It hurt my eyes when I saw Griffith and Charlotte's long and slow bed scene and I almost cried from the embarrassment I felt when watching Guts' scenes. Moreover, Miura said he wanted the Black Swordsman arc made into a movie... Why didn't they take the creator's opinion into account? But you're right, in a way, it was spared... *sigh*

Top Bottom