Karma Unleashed: Give Props or Disapproval for Posts

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
over9000.jpg

I basically used to measure "this" (not quality per se, but... presence) here by post count, which is obviously problematic in its own way (though if one has lots of posts here and hasn't been banned yet they're probably not too virulently bad =). It'll be interesting to see how this dynamic adds to posting behavior. I did wonder if throwing this obvious old gag out there would get me downvoted, but fuck it, a bird's gotta fly (and crap).

I'm going to upvote you just to spite you.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Oburi said:
I think its a great idea! I can't tell you how many times I've read a post and went to hit "like" before realizing this isn't facebook. :troll:

I'm ashamed to say that I've legitimately had this experience once or twice here. :farnese:

EDIT: I'm not really familiar with the various karmic systems, but is it possible to achieve negative karma?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Delta Phi said:
EDIT: I'm not really familiar with the various karmic systems, but is it possible to achieve negative karma?

Everyone starts at zero, and it can go in either direction from there.

If I had been here longer then I certainly would have been obligated to post a lot more "thank you" fluff comments. :ganishka:

I think the karma system will bring a further incentive to put more effort into each post. Plus it's neat to see one's karma quantified! :carcus:

Pretty common feature on most forums these days. Surprised something like this wasn't installed sooner but I assumed it was because reasons. I'm not a huge fan of this kind of thing, as it has a tendency to be abused. If I have anything worth saying about a post, I'll do it in the time-honoured tradition, but hey that's just me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
If I have anything worth saying about a post, I'll do it in the time-honoured tradition, but hey that's just me.

The feature certainly isn't meant to replace leaving feedback on posts. It's just another way to let people who are otherwise too shy to post express their gratitude or spite for what someone is contributing.

Walter said:
The feature certainly isn't meant to replace leaving feedback on posts. It's just another way to let people who are otherwise too shy to post express their gratitude or spite for what someone is contributing.

I never said it was. It's that systems like this are easily corrupted and devolve into popularity contests.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
That would require anyone here being sufficiently hung up on popularity to cause drama.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
I never said it was.

The implication in your last sentence (which is what I had quoted), was that leaving posts is the only real way to give feedback. And that's just not the case anymore. This is a feature for those that choose not to publicly voice their views.

It's that systems like this are easily corrupted and devolve into popularity contests.

I understand that, I just don't think it'll happen here. Like Lith said, I don't think people around here care about such things. Anyway, isn't there a certain gravitas that comes with someone with -9999 karma?

Griffith said:
over9000.jpg

I basically used to measure "this" (not quality per se, but... presence) here by post count, which is obviously problematic in its own way (though if one has lots of posts here and hasn't been banned yet they're probably not too virulently bad =). It'll be interesting to see how this dynamic adds to posting behavior. I did wonder if throwing this obvious old gag out there would get me downvoted, but fuck it, a bird's gotta fly (and crap).

Oh wow, that was great. I actually lost it at work, got a few weird stares from my loud laughter. :ubik:

I'm also a fan of the karma idea (great word for it). Not sure about being able to do a negative vote though, as this might be abused when people hold a grudge. Although, you guys know the general community better than the majority, so I won't take your decision lightly.

Oburi said:
Is laughing looked down upon at your job?

Nothing to do with my job I don't think, I work in an office. I think if people see something funny on their computer at work, the normal thing to do would be to supress their laughter so not to draw attention. In this case I guess I couldn't hold back and people might think it is strange not to conform to tacit social rules. Anyway, I find bits of psychology research interesting so don't mind me... sorry to go off topic. :schierke:

Feeblecursedone

"This hammer has broken Daemons on my anvil, Elf.
. I'm not a huge fan of this kind of thing, as it has a tendency to be abused.

A really late response, but it has already happened. My karma seems to drop down all the time for literally no reason at the times, and I've noticed it happens even with the most " normal" posts. I understand i may have earned few with my " radical " view on Guts-Casca in that thread when i discussed with Aaz, but its getting ridiculous. I feel like somebody is downvoting me just for the sake of it.

Not a huge fan of forums where you get mince-meated for sharing an opinion.

Feeblecursedone

Wouldnt have happened, if the mods did their job and actually checked on such things. Many forums have an in-built feature to see who has negged you and for what reason. You dont seem to give a shit tho.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Feeblecursedone said:
Wouldnt have happened, if the mods did their job and actually checked on such things. Many forums have an in-built feature to see who has negged you and for what reason. You dont seem to give a shit tho.

Of course, it's everyone else's fault. How dare they!

P.S. -1'd :ganishka:

Feeblecursedone

Yeah, because its sure my fault. Like, remember, giving a different opinion that a popular one provided by you and other " high profile " members. Ofc, blame the newcomer for your faulty system. Well done.

I seem to remember you ridiculed a new member about the ultimate casuality thread as well, and then locked the thread. Way to attract new members, good job! You must have ultimate charisma! Or are you so bloated from eating too many snails, french boy, that you cant see anybody but your own magnificent knowledge?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Feeblecursedone said:
Yeah, because its sure my fault. Like, remember, giving a different opinion that a popular one provided by you and other " high profile " members. Ofc, blame the newcomer for your faulty system. Well done.

Oh come on, like it's what happened. Your "opinion" about Casca really had many problems and the least of them was that I disagreed with it. Just because other members didn't bother piling on top of the argument and settled for a karma hit doesn't mean the "system" (the forum's default karma system) is faulty, on the contrary. I find it really quite dishonest and also intellectually lazy to blame the bad reception of an ignorant and blatantly sexist claim on what would be a highschool-like popularity contest. That's really not how things work here.

Feeblecursedone said:
I seem to remember you ridiculed a new member about the ultimate casuality thread as well, and then locked the thread. Way to attract new members, good job! You must have ultimate charisma! Or are you so bloated from eating too many frogs, french boy, that you cant see anybody but your own magnificent knowledge?

Oh boy, now that's a burn! You're really hurting my feelings with those kindergarten insults. Go read that thread I locked, and if you find yourself agreeing with any of it or are convinced it was wrong to lock it, you're welcome to see yourself out. Attracting new members isn't my priority here. I get nothing out of anything I do for this community. It's all free, and I owe nothing to anyone. If you can't take the heat of your controversial arguments and just believe the world owes it to you to listen and agree to everything you say, then you're not fit for Internet forums.

FeebleCurse you're not really helping your case here. This comes off like a temper tantrum and gets worse with every personal attack and insult thrown at the mods, when it's clearly the community who is down voting based on your tone or refusal to back up your claims with specific references from the manga. The mods here may seem tough and strict on accuracy, but they've been following this series for almost fifteen years and been discussing and analyzing it nearly daily. Just look at the post count. And they back up their 'opinions' with specific evidence and take exhaustive time to respond point by point to people to prevent misconceptions that just confuse new comers.

And there have been plenty of misconceptions out there preceicely because people don't correct them. Stuff from poor translations, or speculation run wild. Guts being a son of Zodd or Elves, or the Beast of Darkness being distinct from Guts, or Mozgus being an Apostle, or there being a real Dragon from Godot's story, Griffith not caring about his comrades... This stuff runs wild, and it affects peoples interpretation AND enjoyment of the story.

No one's being unfair to you. Make some quality posts and you'll get upvotes. Promise.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
It's your attitude that people don't like, not your opinions. You are where you are because of you, no one else. Take responsibility for your actions, instead of blaming everyone else.

And by the way, you don't make a very good case for yourself by insulting people, especially when those immature comments are shitty generalizations about another country and/or culture. Grow the fuck up.

R

Resonance

Oh putain, insulting a French person will lead you into a world of pain my friend. My mother taught me this a looong time ago. Also, Aazealth comes off as very charismatic to me and reading his evaluations of theories other users have (including yours Feeble) really entertains me and taught more of the series.

Thought you where a user who was misunderstood but would find the light eventually, but now you're just in denial and should just learn you're not a very pleasent person. Good luck for your future endevaours however, you will need it.

Feeblecursedone

ApostleBob said:
FeebleCurse you're not really helping your case here. This comes off like a temper tantrum and gets worse with every personal attack and insult thrown at the mods, when it's clearly the community who is down voting based on your tone or refusal to back up your claims with specific references from the manga. The mods here may seem tough and strict on accuracy, but they've been following this series for almost fifteen years and been discussing and analyzing it nearly daily. Just look at the post count. And they back up their 'opinions' with specific evidence and take exhaustive time to respond point by point to people to prevent misconceptions that just confuse new comers.

And there have been plenty of misconceptions out there preceicely because people don't correct them. Stuff from poor translations, or speculation run wild. Guts being a son of Zodd or Elves, or the Beast of Darkness being distinct from Guts, or Mozgus being an Apostle, or there being a real Dragon from Godot's story, Griffith not caring about his comrades... This stuff runs wild, and it affects peoples interpretation AND enjoyment of the story.

No one's being unfair to you. Make some quality posts and you'll get upvotes. Promise.

Actually, thanks for that, I guess.

And I guess apology to Aaz and Walter. I do need to get myself a thicker skin.

Top Bottom