How many people around you read Berserk?

puella

Berserk forever
My husband, my brother and my three brothers-in-law read Berserk. But except for my husband, they all just read my own collection and didn't bother buying them. :puck: And none of my friends read it even though I've recommended it for a long time.

How about you guys?

Oburi

All praise Grail
Currently... nobody. I had a few friends or girlfriends that I had got to read it but it's been a few years and so I have nobody in my life that reads Berserk with me.

Except you guys of course :serpico:

Same here :( I've been telling my cousin to read it for a while but still no luck. I guess i will now tell him to watch the anime and then hope he reads the manga later.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
No one at the moment. I've tried turning someone people on to it over the years, but to very little success. I got two fraternity brothers to start reading when I was in undergrad, but they only kept up with it when I got a new volume and, I assume, aren't following it anymore. Before I graduated I remember relaying information from the Japanese episodic releases to try and keep them interested, but it never took hold.

At one point I got my mother to read most of the volumes. I think up through something like 27 or so. She's pretty open minded so it wasn't too weird, but she lost interest when the Dark Horse volumes slowed down. Imagine having to wait a few months for an entire volume to be released! :troll:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I got my brother into the series but he hasn't caught up in a while that I know of. Nobody else I know IRL reads it although I know plenty of online friends who I meet up with every once in a while that do. They're mostly not fully caught up either though...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I frequent a local comic shop in the town I live in, and I regularly see people buying Berserk. But that's about it.

I have two friends who are completely caught up, and they have also started collecting the volumes. I actually had a conversation today with a clerk at a comic store about the latest episode. I'm so thankful to have even a small group of fans to discuss the series with. :ubik:

My fiancee, my brother, two of my best friends and their girlfriends buy the volumes. I also many others friends who reads Berserk but illegally so... :sad:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
My wife reads it, and I used to have a couple friends who did, but I think they stopped reading it a long time ago. My wife reads the Dark Horse volumes when they come out, and she stays up-to-date with the new episodes. We're both so excited about where the series is currently heading. When I told her what Rickert did to Griffith in the latest episode, I thought her eyes were going to pop out of her head. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hitoshura said:
Only one of my friends attempted to read the manga after I recommended it. He couldn't even get past the first page of it. :puck:

That's not much of an attempt...

Read? Lol, I know nobody outside of the person who introduced me and my wife who have read it. Not too many people are even open to it. I have, I guess, made people interested or maybe even a casual fan through the anime and movies. Yes, I know, the movies are not that amazing, but of the 6 people I've shown all have come back and said they're great and asked if there are more.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
bandofthehawk (Salem) said:
Read? Lol, I know nobody outside of the person who introduced me and my wife who have read it.

Surely there are more. You have a unique opportunity, nay, a CALLING, to advertise the series simply by walking around without a shirt. :casca:

And I do Walter. :) I've just found many people don't read or read comics (to most americans) but the day I have someone come up to me and say berserk! I'm gonna hi five and scream. I'll loan out my manga any day or point them in the right place if they're not willing to buy and try.

My brother's caught up till volume 36. I remind my friend who introduced me to Berserk (lives in Syracuse) every now and then of a new episode coming out and I think he's all caught up, don't think he buy the manga, he owns the anime series. DirectDK is an episode or two away I think. Lent my manga to a pal at work few years ago, read up till volume 9 and stopped because he had a lot on his plate at the time but he'd like to read the series eventually when he's in the mood for it. One of his biggest gripes was that he expected it to be an all serious, dark fantasy and couldn't stand Puck in the first 3 volumes, which was discouraging him from reading further (he's a big fan of Akira). Puck's character was jarring to him in the midst of everything happening. I explained to him how Puck from the first 3 is slightly different than the Puck we see later on, without spoiling much about his fun/ cool interactions with Isidro/ the rest of the new group and fortunately for him (cos he doesn't like Puck) unfortunately for us Puck fans, we don't get to see much of.

Top Bottom