Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Re: Movies to look forward to

Walter said:
I liked the latest trailer.

Go on...? I think it's a bit more subtle, intimate, and less about advertising the return of STAR WARS than the last two. Basically, the first one was all about the big picture idea of STAR WARS returning "THE DARK SIDE... AND THE LIGHT...", the second was about nostalgia and signaling a return to form, "The force is strong in my family...", and this one had that but is also more about these characters, this story, and the actual movie, "I was raised to do one thing, but I have nothing to fight for." If they can pull off all those elements at once in the film itself, we'll have a winner, “Nothing will stand in our way, I will finish what you started.”

And don't ask about this quoting convention I employed, I have no idea. =)

BTW, here's an obnoxiously deep dive on the trailer that doesn't really reveal anything of substance, but if anyone is on a real kick:

http://io9.com/heres-a-shot-by-shot-breakdown-of-all-the-goodies-in-th-1737486310

Walter said:
Shouldn't we make a Star Wars thread at this point?

As usual, Aaz already did it a year ago. :ganishka:

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=14526.0

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Go on...? I think it's a bit more subtle, intimate, and less about advertising the return of STAR WARS than the last two. Basically, the first one was all about the big picture idea of STAR WARS returning, the second was about nostalgia and signaling a return to form, and this one is about these characters, this story, and the actual. If they can pull off all those elements at once in the film itself, we'll have a winner.

Well, the first trailer didn't do anything for me at all. This gave me little goosebumps. In addition to all the new settings and scenarios we see in this new trailer, I think the music is what worked for me the most — an effective gut punch of nostalgia. Han going from skeptical rogue in a New Hope to saying "it's all true" 20 years later, was also a nice touch. Also, I just liked the angle they're taking. It's done a good job of dispeling my fear that this will be purely a story about consequences of the first trilogy, and more about exploring these three new characters.

Here it is for those who haven't seen it yet:

HTML:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sGbxmsDFVnE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My wife has asked me to start searching for pre-order tickets now... And a babysitter. :puck:

As usual, Aaz already did it a year ago. :ganishka:

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=14526.0

Aha! Split and merged new posts with the old topic.

Salem said:
Am I the minority here? Kylo Ren looks identical to Darth Revan from KOTOR. I know they ruled that character out as non canon, but damn.

Revan's mask is cooler. I'm still surprised how boring Kylo's mask is compared to, say, Vader's. For a project with thousands of artists, and this being the most iconic costume piece in the movie, it looks, I dunno... under-designed. Something about concentric lines doesn't strike fear into me in the same way as Vader's Sci-Fi Shogun helmet.

Anyway, KOTOR being non canon is perfect. Now they can pilfer whatever they want without having to tie it back to anything from the past :carcus:

Griffith

Walter said:
Well, the first trailer didn't do anything for me at all. This gave me little goosebumps.

The first, first one (which was pretty underwhelming), or the Luke one (that's the one that first hooked me)? Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're in the spirit, "The Force is calling you... let it in." =)

Walter said:
In addition to all the new settings and scenarios we see in this new trailer, I think the music is what worked for me the most — an effective gut punch of nostalgia. Han going from skeptical rogue in a New Hope to saying "it's all true" 20 years later, was also a nice touch. Also, I just liked the angle they're taking. It's done a good job of dispeling my fear that this will be purely a story about consequences of the first trilogy, and more about exploring these three new characters.

I also feel like for a "next generation" story it's doing a damn fine job of making me feel like I'm being invited to be a part of it now through these new characters rather than resenting them for not being my old favorites. I think the obvious reverence the new kids have displayed in such a short time definitely helps (why are such characters usually portrayed as cynical pissants that need to come around after you already hate them?).

Walter said:
My wife has asked me to start searching for pre-order tickets now... And a babysitter. :puck:

Well, I have a spare set of tickets at another theater if you and the missus don't mind seeing it in south L.A. :ganishka:

Walter said:
Revan's mask is cooler. I'm still surprised how boring Kylo's mask is compared to, say, Vader's. For a project with thousands of artists, and this being the most iconic costume piece in the movie, it looks, I dunno... under-designed. Something about concentric lines doesn't strike fear into me in the same way as Vader's Sci-Fi Shogun helmet.

Yeah, it's grown on me, but that's not saying much since it's so basic it had nowhere to go but up in my estimation. Taken with the helmet overall it's much more intriguing though, especially given the DIY Vader Impersonator nature of the character. Perhaps the whole character will be a critique of the petulant Anakin Skywalker of the prequels. :troll:

Walter said:
Anyway, KOTOR being non canon is perfect. Now they can pilfer whatever they want without having to tie it back to anything from the past :carcus:

That would be a sound strategy for all their upcoming stuff, just mine the EU for gold, maybe change the names, and leave the shit in purgatory.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
The first, first one (which was pretty underwhelming), or the Luke one (that's the one that first hooked me)?

I meant the "Chewie.... we're home" trailer -- which was exactly what I didn't want from a new trilogy.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're in the spirit, "The Force is calling you... let it in." =)

Well, I'm still a little groggy at the prospect of more Star Wars. But I am AWAKENED.

I also feel like for a "next generation" story it's doing a damn fine job of making me feel like I'm being invited to be a part of it now through these new characters rather than resenting them for not being my old favorites.

Ever since I was a kid and learned that A New Hope is "Episode IV" in a trio of trilogies, I've had big ideas for what the third story arc would be. I've always wanted it to be removed from the conflict of the movies I grew up with. Because while I of course loved those movies, that conflict and those characters felt perfectly concluded by RotJ. So, I wanted it this new story arc to focus on a whole new set of characters, and I was glad to see them take the forefront in this trailer. Even if... the prospect of the remnants of the empire being the villain is more than a little disappointing to me.

Griffith

Walter said:
I meant the "Chewie.... we're home" trailer -- which was exactly what I didn't want from a new trilogy.

You mean the one discussed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93uSIKzPmik ? :carcus:

Walter said:
Ever since I was a kid and learned that A New Hope is "Episode IV" in a trio of trilogies, I've had big ideas for what the third story arc would be. I've always wanted it to be removed from the conflict of the movies I grew up with. Because while I of course loved those movies, that conflict and those characters felt perfectly concluded by RotJ. So, I wanted it this new story arc to focus on a whole new set of characters, and I was glad to see them take the forefront in this trailer.

I think that closed ending left me satisfied so that I was always skeptical of the "other trilogies," even before the prequels came out. Not that I thought they would be so bad, just that George Lucas and his master plans were all PT Barnum bullshit (BTW, an excellent read on Star Wars and Empire producer Gary Kurtz and if you haven't seen it already, with all sorts of details about what Return of the Jedi could have been: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/star-wars-was-born-a-long-time-ago-but-not-all-that-far-far-away-in-1972-filmmakers-george-lucas-and-gary-kurtz-wer/). Anyway, after Jedi, I didn't want or need more Star Wars per se, I just wanted to spend more time with those characters, so I'm arriving from almost the opposite direction.

Walter said:
Even if... the prospect of the remnants of the empire being the villain is more than a little disappointing to me.

Or whatever it is. The First Order? Shouldn't it be "The Last Order?" I mean, it makes sense that the war would continue after RotJ, since large empires don't disintegrate so easily as in montages, but I like the idea better that these guys are basically pretenders dressed in their parents clothes and holding onto something that isn't real anymore, including Vader. Speaking of...

A kill count with a story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZtqh5FK1yc

:ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
(BTW, an excellent read on Star Wars and Empire producer Gary Kurtz and if you haven't seen it already, with all sorts of details about what Return of the Jedi could have been: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/star-wars-was-born-a-long-time-ago-but-not-all-that-far-far-away-in-1972-filmmakers-george-lucas-and-gary-kurtz-wer/).

[quote author=Portion of article]
The discussed ending of the film that Kurtz favored presented the rebel forces in tatters, Leia grappling with her new duties as queen and Luke walking off alone “like Clint Eastwood in the spaghetti westerns,” as Kurtz put it.

Kurtz said that ending would have been a more emotionally nuanced finale to an epic adventure than the forest celebration of the Ewoks that essentially ended the trilogy with a teddy bear luau.

He was especially disdainful of the Lucas idea of a second Death Star, which he felt would be too derivative of the 1977 film. “So we agreed that I should probably leave.”[/quote]

That was fantastic, and it kind of breaks my heart, confirming everyone's worst fears. Thanks for sharing. :judo:

The other day I got my tickets for December 16th. So far I haven't watched any trailers and I have stayed away from any sort of spoilers; basically I know nothing about the movie other than the fact that it's a Star Wars movie and that familiar faces will be on it. My reason for going in blind is basically that expectations are a bitch, so I'd rather go in having none.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
m said:
The other day I got my tickets for December 16th. So far I haven't watched any trailers and I have stayed away from any sort of spoilers; basically I know nothing about the movie other than the fact that it's a Star Wars movie and that familiar faces will be on it. My reason for going in blind is basically that expectations are a bitch, so I'd rather go in having none.

Spoilers aren't a big factor for me personally. The recent trailer did an effective job of changing my level of excitement from null to interested.

Griffith

Walter said:
That was fantastic, and it kind of breaks my heart, confirming everyone's worst fears. Thanks for sharing. :judo:

On the other hand...

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/return-of-the-jedi-was-great-you-ewok-slandering-fools-1738290933

m said:

Probably a good idea so you can really appreciate it if it's good; I may have already been spoiled, unfortunately.

Walter said:
Spoilers aren't a big factor for me personally. The recent trailer did an effective job of changing my level of excitement from null to interested.

If you liked that, I was even more impressed by this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTNJ51ghzdY

I mean, can we basically tie all the series' problems to Lucas becoming a stubborn king shit that force choked his own franchise as a result? Maybe Star Wars is actually hard to screw up when handled by adult professionals like the ones in the video above. :ganishka:

This was making the rounds today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIRoASL90EI

Pretty good! I just wish they'd completed that line from the last trailer too.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Isn't it funny that you'll never see the end of SW during your lifetime?

You know, when the Special Editions were coming to theaters in 1997, I remember thinking my life was literally leading to that moment; I literally hoped I didn't die somehow before I could achieve this fulfillment! Needless to say, since then I have no fear of death. :ganishka:

Anyway, more fascinating Gary Kurtz quotes on the original RotJ and even beyond:

One of the reasons Jedi came out the way it did was because the story outline of how Jedi was going to be seemed to get tossed out, and one of the reasons I was really unhappy was the fact that all of the carefully constructed story structure of characters and things that we did in Empire was going to carry over into Jedi. The resolution of that film was going to be quite bittersweet, with Han Solo being killed, and the princess having to take over as queen of what remained of her people, leaving everybody else. In effect, Luke was left on his own. None of that happened, of course.
It was about how are we going to resolve the story of these three people; one of the discussions was about Han Solo’s character being killed in one of the raids in the middle of the story. Harrison wanted it to be that way. He wanted his character to end that way.
It would have been quite sad, and poignant and upbeat at the same time, because they would have won a battle. But the idea of another attack on another Death Star wasn't there at all ... it was a rehash of Star Wars, with better visual effects. And there were no Ewoks ... it was just entirely different. It was much more adult and straightforward, the story.
The one story thread that got totally tossed out the window, which was really pretty important I think, was the one of Vader trying to convince Luke to join him to overthrow the Emperor. That together they had enough power that they could do that, and it wasn’t him saying I want to take over the world and be the evil leader, it was that transition. It was Vader saying, “I’m looking again at what I’ve done and where my life has gone and who I’ve served and, very much in the Samurai tradition, and saying if I can join forces with my son, who is just as strong as I am, that maybe we can make some amends.” So there was all of that going on in Jedi as well, that was supposed to go on. So the story was quite a bit more poignant and the ending was the coronation of Leia as the queen of what was left of her people, to take over the royal symbol. That meant she was then isolated from all of the rest and Luke went off then by himself. It was basically a kind of bittersweet ending. She’s not his sister that dropped in to wrap up everything neatly. His sister was someone else way over on the other side of the galaxy and she wasn’t going to show up until the next episode.

He has more to say about that last line concerning the next episode too, the idea of Luke going off alone to become Jedi supreme and playing the Obi-Wan/Yoda role training his sister (or perhaps now niece or daughter). Perhaps they're going to pick up where all those lost threads from Jedi left off; that would certainly be promising. Besides that, he has lots of interesting things to say about Star Wars, from the first one to the prequels, in general, and comes off rather reasonable and credible even though he obviously has an axe to grind. I mean, saying Episode I was disappointing doesn't exactly show bias, and the comparison of Jedi to Indiana Jones was something that's occurred to me before, though positively.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2002/11/11/an-interview-with-gary-kurtz?page=4

A good read for any Star Wars fan (and I wasn't kidding when I said I was doing a cut of Jedi based on his notes. STAR WARS: RECAUTERIZED =)

Nostalgia is a pain in the ass! I remember when Disney bought the rights of the entire Star Wars franchise and announced the production of a new episode. My initial thought was: "this will be commercial bullshit. I'm not going anywhere near that thing!". Nowadays, with the release so close, I can't wait to see it. I hate myself!

Thanks for that interview, Griffith. Although it isn't anything new for the most part, it's good to see from time to time how they throw at our faces what might have been and wasn't... :judo:

Griffith

International trailer made up of largely new footage:

HTML:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SdAUiyeJMFQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And a poster to go with it:

Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Korean-poster.jpg

BTW, the simplicity of the Kylo Ren design has grown on me. Particularly because you can't tell me he wouldn't' look right at home on this stage:

bounty-hunter-line-up-empire-strikes-back.JPG

P.S. More new footage in a TV spot but you guys don't want to geek out with me on this anymore. You want to talk about people watching other people play video games. Fine, I'll bitch here in an edit you won't see. =)

I'll be visiting Bombay for three weeks starting Dec 21 to be home for Dad's first anniversary and while I'm there my Mum wants us to watch the movie together. I was originally planning to hold off seeing it till a month into the release but I'm gonna have to break that now. Funny thing, the movie comes out in Bombay on December 24 and tickets aren't even on sale as yet (!) but as I type that I realize how normal that's always been. Being in New York spoilt me with access to buying tickets a month or more in advance for bigger movies. There were never instances where fans would line up hours in advance to secure seats because the system was different - all tickets are assigned seat numbers by default, even when you purchase it online, you choose your seats. Reminds me of the time I watched my first movie in New York, Pan's Labyrinth, from the absolute front row because I was expecting a seat to be assigned when I bought the ticket :farnese:. Digressing a bit, I also notice all my friends here prefer to watch movies from the middle rows to be somewhat closer to the screen whereas back home we pay a premium fee for the last 3/4 rows.

Back on topic and speaking of lining up - ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Fans Are Already Lining Up :isidro:

Griffith

First impressions from the Star Wars premiere are very positive, with the obvious caveat that it's almost impossible not to be caught up in the moment at this point (here's the obligatory disclaimer that people talked up Phantom Menace & Crystal Skull at first, etc etc). I won't even trust my own critical judgement for a while after seeing it (because if they have old ass Jedi Master Luke Skywalker commit an act of dramatic heroism at the climax my judgement will surely be impaired until my refractory period is over =), but it's better than if people were going, "..." and "It's not too bad!" The only bitch I've seen actually is that it apes the original trilogy too much. Oh yeah? I'll take it! :guts:
thumbup.gif

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
(here's the obligatory warning that people talked up Phantom Menace & Crystal Skull at first, etc etc).

Oh, I remember... I could barely speak with a friend of mine after he'd hyped up Phantom Menace after he caught an early showing it.

Griff, when are you seeing it? I won't be able to until Dec. 28-30. Wondering when we'll be able to talk about it on the podcast.

Griffith

Walter said:
Oh, I remember... I could barely speak with a friend of mine after he'd hyped up Phantom Menace after he caught an early showing it.

I still remember getting into an argument with a fan friend in high school because I took the somewhat radical position at the time that, "it was kinda bad." His response was basically, "Come on!" and "It's Star Wars!" To which I would say things like, "That's my point, WAS it?" followed by more "Come on"s.

Walter said:
Griff, when are you seeing it? I won't be able to until Dec. 28-30. Wondering when we'll be able to talk about it on the podcast.

I'll be ready at approximately 10:30pm this Thursday. :badbone:

(better make it 11 since there's probably going to be at least a half hour of previews)

Don't rush on my account though because Holiday crap is going to have me running all over afterward as well.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
I still remember getting into an argument with a fan friend in high school because I took the somewhat radical position at the time that, "it was kinda bad." His response was basically, "Come on!" and "It's Star Wars!" To which I would say things like, "That's my point, WAS it?" followed by more "Come on"s.

I'll be ready at approximately 10:30pm this Thursday. :badbone:

(better make it 11 since there's probably going to be at least a half hour of previews)

Don't rush on my account though because Holiday crap is going to have me running all over afterward as well.

I'm watching it at 7pm on Thursday.

I'll refrain from sending you spoilers.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Despite remaining cautiously optimistic for a long time, I've become swept up in the fanboy hype ever since trailer 2 or 3 dropped. I'm basically a raving idiot any time I see a tv spot. It's going to have to pull some really stupid shit for me to not think it's incredible when I walk out of the theater. I love everything I've seen so far (even Kylo Ren's stupid fucking lightsaber, which I kind of groaned at when it was first revealed).

I'm out of control.

Delta Phi said:
I'm out of control.

You're not alone! I realized last night in conversation with a pal how I'd been brushing it aside saying I won't watch it blah blah wait for a month or whatever but perhaps I was waiting for ANY excuse to see it sooner than that. Plus, the response from people who've seen it has been positive - link to CNN article. So it's hard not to get sucked in.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
My wife actually pulled my aside last night and asked me to stop talking about the premier on Thursday night. Apparently I've been talking about the premier since November of last year, and even moreso when each new trailer dropped. I've maintained radio silence on all spoilers outside of the trailers, but knowing it premiered last night has made me fight looking up anything related to the movie with almost every ounce of will I have.

I think seeing this movie on Thursday will be the end of a prolonged orgasm, be it good or bad.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Welp, with the deadline fast approaching, I guess I'll be on radio silence for this thread until I see the movie.

Would you guys mind tagging anything remotely resembling spoilers moving forward?

Top Bottom