Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
It's funny how i've been reading a lot of complains over the politics in this movie. George Lucas knew what the fans wanted all along.
:ganishka:

I doubt people would have minded had there been no space politics involved at all. But they not only put some in there, they half-assed it too... so frankly it's normal people complain.

m said:
I need to mention that I didn't like the original trilogy as much as many other people did, and I didn't hate the prequels as many people did, so most likely my biases are different than Johnstantine's and yours. I recently watched all six movies, the prequels for only the second time, and my opinion didn't change overall.

I find that... disturbing. :femto:

m said:
I hear you, but I want to take it as a step in the right direction anyway.

Yeah, I really liked how it ended up with those two characters, regardless of why it did.

m said:
I just assumed that the conditioning all Storm Troopers are subjected to doesn't stick the same way on all of them. But perhaps this is something that will be expanded on next time? Who knows, this could be the key to the next episodes just as Jar-Jar Binks was for the prequels. :troll: Kidding aside, it would have been interesting to have more information on this. On a related note, I think not explaining things in a good way is something I think this movie did on a few counts. I also got the feeling that the final movie ended up being a lot shorter that what it was meant to be, which is perhaps why some things are not as clear as they could be.

Oh yeah, lots of stuff basically came out of nowhere. If we start on this it'll take hours to list. As for the movie having been shortened, maybe. That would certainly explain why a lot of stuff comes and goes like it does. Thing is, I felt the movie was already trying to do too much at once, so having it even longer and packed with even more stuff would have probably made it a chore to watch.

m said:
One final thought: it would be great to listen to a Skullcast about this movie. Just sayin'... :carcus:

Walter won't see it till after the next podcast unfortunately, but I think Griff and I will probably chat about it for a bit after the episode talk.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Finally was able to watch it today and frankly, the 1st 10 minutes made me forget about the prequels which is an accomplishment on it's own.

One thing that I truly appreciate is Kylo Ren's position on self conflict in wanting to be joining the dark side. I find his praise towards Vader quite fitting given the circumstances on how fans have carried the character for all these years. Though I don't know what the writer's intentions were, but it's a nice little detail that I appreciated. Force tantrums was also an interesting detail and displayed exactly on what level Kylo Ren truly is when he's in a pickle. If anything, I'd say it felt natural. I do agree with Griffith in the statement of him being beaten by a fresh-out-a the midiclorian meter (pun intended). But I look forward in what else he's bringing to the table

Finn and Rey certainly made a good mark and I look forward on their developments as well. Though I find a bit hard to swallow Rey's 30 minute self-teaching and development of the force. I'm sure I'm not alone in this remark. I'm hoping for a not-so out of the bag origin that could support her errrrr atributes? No complaints about Finn in any way.

The Solo thing really hit me only because I really didn't give it any thought pre-release. I'm not sure if I am at peace with it (starting to hate the confrontation walkway's with no railings). And though I can understand why, I'm not sure if the timing was right.

The overall experience was a positive one in my book. I didn't mind the New Hope blueprint they used for this...Well, except for the Starkiller part (others have already expressed the dislike on the matter). And I certainly look forward to the next ones to come. The movie has flaws, but I feel relieved that we now are passed Return of the Jedi from long years of wishful thinking.

PS. BB8 was a huge plus.

I enjoyed the movie and had no doubt I'd stumble upon people complaining, overanalyzing or just being debbie downers. Some of that has merit, no doubt, but the sequel to this film really will tell us IF the force awakens is truly a good start. So many questions that answers to could be meh or fantastic.

Rey is obviously Lukes daughter and her random force awakening is in part due to her training as a child before her cousin killed everyone and Luke was like screw it I'm out. Also wouldn't be out of the ballpark to say Luke could influence Rey telepathically like Luke and sis communicating.

Also, why haven't any of you brought up a certain "wise" new character possibly being a certain cloaked asshats original trainer? Seems fairly likely.

Speculating, but let me reach a bit and quote.

"Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying."

And say that this "snoke" will end up being Lukes grandfather, who created life in Anakins mother and was ultimately not killed by Sid. Yep, that's what I'm going with.

Could be soooooo wrong, but I'll hold onto this until it's fleshed out. Good luck to whoever writes the next one. So much hinges upon that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Salem said:
the sequel to this film really will tell us IF the force awakens is truly a good start.

I think this movie can stand judgment on its own without needing a sequel for validation. What the sequels will tell us is whether the entire enterprise is good or not.

Salem said:
Also, why haven't any of you brought up a certain "wise" new character possibly being a certain cloaked asshats original trainer? Seems fairly likely.

Speculating, but let me reach a bit and quote. "Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying." And say that this "snoke" will end up being Lukes grandfather, who created life in Anakins mother and was ultimately not killed by Sid. Yep, that's what I'm going with.

Do we really want this whole midichlorians bullshit back in the spotlight though? :magni: Other than that, it'd make some sense but where was the guy all this time? Also Han seemed to know some things about Snoke, given what he told Ben ("he's just using your for your powers, then he'll crush you"). Not sure that works towards your idea (that they're family).

I really believe the mids will tie in and I do agree that they should leave it alone. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if we went that route. Snoke has some major wounds that appear to be from a lightsaber. I know some are saying he isn't interesting, but neither was Palpatine at first. I always got the creeps in jedi from that guy! Another big reason I think Snoke is who he is was VERY similar music plays when snoke is introduced that is played when Palpatine explains to Anakin about his master....

This whole sequel thought comes from the fact that movies lately seem to hinge on the sequel. Almost like we're watching some 3 episode series on cable. There is so much that could really be a downer when it gets explained, or not. It's as if we're watching part of a movie, knowing this is the first act, insert cliffhanger.

As to where he's been, I believe Palpatine had been after certain systems in the outer rim, which he claimed his power came from. Highly conceivable that he is in some hidden cluster for "insert random reason". Ultimately I hope whatever he is and why he's doing what he's doing is very memorable. Would be a little strange for what appears to be a very ancient gollum to just be some leftover bad guy from any previous film, which still begs the question, where was he this whole time?

Way too many people who grew up with fond memories of certain movies look to find every flaw to justify their memory. Good lord, I love Star Wars, but they're all a little hokey. :griffnotevil:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Salem said:
I really believe the mids will tie in and I do agree that they should leave it alone. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if we went that route. Snoke has some major wounds that appear to be from a lightsaber. I know some are saying he isn't interesting, but neither was Palpatine at first. I always got the creeps in jedi from that guy! Another big reason I think Snoke is who he is was VERY similar music plays when snoke is introduced that is played when Palpatine explains to Anakin about his master....

Well the emperor was cool in the original trilogy because he was an old evil wizard who stayed mysterious (pulling the strings in the shadows) until the very end where it was revealed he was actually pretty badass (basically defeating Luke effortlessly). I don't think Snoke lives up to that. So... hopefully it turns out there's a cool twist in the sequels, we'll see. I'm not holding my breath though. I wonder if they'll just make him into a kind of Darth Yoda.

Salem said:
This whole sequel thought comes from the fact that movies lately seem to hinge on the sequel. Almost like we're watching some 3 episode series on cable. There is so much that could really be a downer when it gets explained, or not. It's as if we're watching part of a movie, knowing this is the first act, insert cliffhanger.

Yeah I get what you mean, but to me that's not how movies should be considered. But certainly the next two episodes will retroactively affect how we think of this one.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Salem said:
Way too many people who grew up with fond memories of certain movies look to find every flaw to justify their memory. Good lord, I love Star Wars, but they're all a little hokey. :griffnotevil:

That doesn't really follow, and you're the one making a faulty comparison to justify something.
If you have to bring the original Star Wars trilogy down a notch to try and elevate this film to the same level, that doesn't speak well of it
. If you have explicit reasons, as others have already expressed, please share (so far I've found these opposing perspectives quite convincing), otherwise lighten up on the insinuations about who's being partial. I'm quite proud of the different takes in this thread, positive and negative, and how objective and reasoned they've been. Far more nuanced takes than the initial press reviews.

Aazealh said:
Well the emperor was cool in the original trilogy because he was an old evil wizard who stayed mysterious (pulling the strings in the shadows) until the very end where it was revealed he was actually pretty badass (basically defeating Luke effortlessly). I don't think Snoke lives up to that. So... hopefully it turns out there's a cool twist in the sequels, we'll see. I'm not holding my breath though.

Yeah, I don't get this, the Emperor was fine from the start and ended up being great in Jedi, unless we're counting the crappy prequels again? Which, again, we shouldn't.

Salem, you're not some prequel adherent, are you? I mean, if we're counting those then sure the new movie rates better, but that's not equivalent to the first three which were established as classics long before this debate had reason to exist. Here's a question: do we think this movie is good enough to be a classic or is going to be considered such? That may not be a fair standard, but it's also not fair to disregard that stautus of the old movies.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Alright guys, I over-hyped it like I knew I would. I'll give some of my opinions:

I really enjoyed it (figuring out when I can go see it again), but as I walked out of the theater, I was a little unsure of how I felt over all. I think my biggest conflict was that the movie was clearly Star Wars, but it didn't exactly feel like Star Wars to me the same way that even the Prequels did. I think Griff mentioned something similar earlier in the thread.

As stated before by others, Finn and Rey's chemistry was great and I look forward to more of that. They really blew everyone else out of the water, in my opinion. However, a couple times where Finn was most excited, my suspense of disbelief cracked. John Boyega suddenly seemed to be playing a character from our universe who was trapped in the Star Wars universe. Not sure how else to describe it. Maybe I'm just used to the traditionally stiff acting in these movies. Anyway, it was still better than listening to Hayden "Cardboard" Christiensen regurgitate his lines at his co-stars. And the last thing I'll mention about performances is echoing Aaz on Carrie Fisher. Her literal stiff upper lip was pretty jarring.

I had actually stayed in the dark really well for this movie having only seen the trailers and some tv spots, and only heard about Abrams's interest in A New Hope after I had seen the movie. That said, in the beginning with the village invasion, secreting away of data in a droid, and subsequent arrival of Kylo Ren to do interrogation, I immediately thought to myself, "Wait, this is totally the opening to A New Hope." Of course from that moment on I kept seeing all the parallels throughout and I think it took me out of the experience a bit.

Captain Phasma, for all her build up and preconceived badassery, ended up being just the butt of a nostalgia joke. Disappointing. I had hopes for an awesome new Boba Fett analogue. Maybe in the next one, but, I don't know, I think I'm going to have a hard time taking her seriously when she shows up again.

I actually kind of appreciated not beating around the bush with Kylo Ren's parentage (I probably would have groaned at a dramatic reveal, honestly), and I have to admit, having not read ANYTHING about the Extended Universe except some tidbits here and there, I didn't expect he would be Han and Leia's child. I'm just glad it wasn't Luke, which was something I legitimately feared as the release date drew near. But after the nonchalant reveal, I thought they handled it too explicitly. "You're father, HAN SOLO...", "I saw our SON," etc. Again, I think Griff mentioned before that it would have been better just using pronouns and letting the audience simply put the pieces together. It just seemed like any time Han or Leia wanted to talk about it, they needed to explicitly remind us that he was their progeny.

Speaking of Han...that scene didn't really resonate with me like I thought it should.

And lastly, I thought the final fight between Kylo Ren and the protagonists was pretty awesome. Not flashy, certainly unrefined, kind of bridging the gap between the Prequels and OT. I especially enjoyed the development of the conflict with Finn being defeated and Rey stepping in to finish. I thought it was great, even considering Rey's uncanny ability to just suddenly be great a using the Force (something she presumably doesn't know a whole lot about since it was all just legend to her).

I'm sure I'm leaving out so much I wanna get off my chest, but I've been sitting here way too long :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
If you have to bring the original Star Wars trilogy down a notch to try and elevate this film to the same level, that doesn't speak well of it.

Indeed.

Griffith said:
Yeah, I don't get this, the Emperor was fine from the start and ended up being great in Jedi, unless we're counting the crappy prequels again? Which, again, we shouldn't.
We definitely aren't counting the prequels. Hell, I wouldn't mind just limiting the comparison to A New Hope... Nor would I mind dropping those tacked on titles and just calling it "Star Wars". :iva:

Griffith said:
Here's a question: do we think this movie is good enough to be a classic or is going to be considered such?

Its nature as a quasi-reboot, immensely inspired from the first trilogy, makes it impossible for it to ever be a classic IMHO.

Griff,
I'm a little confused how you got all the prequel nonsense off my statement. The emperor wasn't in a new hope and the only point I was trying to establish was Snoke will be a big deal, eventually.

My opinion, seems I struck a cord with calling one of my favorite series a little hokey, is TFU is on par with ROTS and most of ROTJ. Does it surpass episode 4 and 5? Lol

How did I bring the originals down a notch? I usually avoid Sk.net simply because of the neverending negative opinions of anything non berserk related. Couldn't help myself this time.

Added spoiler tags. -Griff

Griffith

Aazealh said:
We definitely aren't counting the prequels. Hell, I wouldn't mind just limiting the comparison to A New Hope... Nor would I mind dropping those tacked on titles and just calling it "Star Wars". :iva:
Indeed, I only watch the theatrical cuts (not that I'm some purist zealot :troll:).

Aazealh said:
Its nature as a quasi-reboot, immensely inspired from the first trilogy, makes it impossible for it to ever be a classic IMHO.

Yeah, and, partly because of that, I just don't think it's good enough on its own merits. It has potential, and if it had focused more on it's new characters in an original plot about the search for Skywalker or something it may have indeed achieved that. Though, part of me wonders if we'd give this the time of day at all if it wasn't "Star Wars." There's plenty of objectively enjoyable or entertaining young adult fantasy these days that I don't give two shits about. Anyway, looking forward to seeing this again with some perspective and properly attuned expectations.

bandofthehawk said:
Griff,
I'm a little confused how you got all the prequel nonsense off my statement. The emperor wasn't in a new hope and the only point I was trying to establish was Snoke will be a big deal, eventually.

I was trying to reconcile your statement about the Emperor and making an inference based on your references to Darth Plagueis and midichlorians (and because Palpatine wasn't very impressive at first, if at all, in the prequels). Sticking to the original trilogy, I don't think Snoke and the Emperor compare very well just yet because the Emperor was this mysterious faraway figure in the beginning that didn't need to live up to anything other than being the guy Darth Vader bows to, whereas Snoke already had a literally large presence in the film and few scenes meant to make him imposing and an obvious Emperor analog, but he wasn't really anything special nor did I feel he lived up to that. Here's hoping he becomes more interesting and original once fully revealed, but I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to it or that I find him intriguing thus far. He's just a figurative, and maybe literal, Emperor clone that serves a role but not much else.

bandofthehawk said:
My opinion, seems I struck a cord with calling one of my favorite series a little hokey, is TFU is on par with ROTS and most of ROTJ. Does it surpass episode 4 and 5? Lol

So, "no" then? Anyway, it was more that it was your second comment vaguely dismissing reasoned criticisms as merely some sort of defensive nostalgia which seemed to me defensive about the new movie.

bandofthehawk said:
How did I bring the originals down a notch?

Again, it was the insinuation that it was merely devotion to the originals coloring criticisms of the new film, rather than the originals being as good as advertised and the jury being out on this one. There's plenty of puerile stuff in the original Star Wars movies of course, but also elements that helped it transcend its genre conventions (Star Wars and Empire are considered legitimately great or important films), so it's fair to question whether this new venture lives up to that. Not that it has to in order to be worthwhile, but I wouldn't casually lump them all together either.

bandofthehawk said:
I usually avoid Sk.net simply because of the neverending negative opinions of anything non berserk related. Couldn't help myself this time.

Well, thanks for brightening up our day with that bit of sunshine. You didn't have to self-immolate over it though, if that's what happened.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Though, part of me wonders if we'd give this the time of day at all if it wasn't "Star Wars." There's plenty of objectively enjoyable or entertaining young adult fantasy these days that I don't give two shits about. Anyway, looking forward to seeing this again with some perspective and properly attuned expectations.

But what about THE HUNGER GAMES?! Actually, no kidding, the line for the last Hunger Games movie was as long as the one for Star Wars at the theater I went to, despite having been out for a month.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
But what about THE HUNGER GAMES?! Actually, no kidding, the line for the last Hunger Games movie was as long as the one for Star Wars at the theater I went to, despite having been out for a month.

That's another fear, that Star Wars isn't only being reduced to Harry Potter or The Hunger Games, but something like the Percy Jackson films. :ganishka: I mean all this chosen one blockbuster bullshit is already a rehash of Star Wars by other people to an extent, so is this really any different? Is it just distilling, or diluting, what made the old ones iconic while losing what nuance it had? "Oh yeah, I got FORCE™! I win!" I mean, if I think some of the Star Warsy stuff in this movie came off a bit goofy, or hokey to borrow the term, what's a generation that doesn't give a shit in the first place going to think? I work around a lot of young people, and they indeed don't seem to give a shit about this. Anyway, I guess the fear that this would be too compelling a modernization that it would make people forget the original Star Wars were unwarranted, and it's still a better last impression than the prequels (though they were so bad you almost had to refer to the originals, whereas I don't know how I feel about this being the new default of what Star Wars is).

Griffith

Johnstantine said:

No surprise there. Just glad it beat the shitshow that is/was Jurassic World.

It's box office success pleases me as well, now it just needs to avenge Phantom Menace against Titanic and take down Avatar and all box office grudges will be settled!

Funny you contrast it positively against Jurassic World though; debates of subjective quality aside, isn't that in the same mold and basically it's closest equivalent (along with Star Trek 2009 for different reasons)? A "soft reboot" that technically exists in the same continuity but is basically a remake/revival with some modern wrinkles? I saw Jurassic World again recently and enjoyed it much more the second time because I knew exactly what it wasn't; so, who cares if it's truly of "classic" quality if it's basically just a reproduction anyway (that may redeem The Force Awakens for me, ultimately)? Plus, the second time I could focus on just how much it was also ripping off Aliens and kind of appreciate the nobility of that pursuit. But yeah, it's purely junk food while The Force Awakens at least has some compelling characters, accompanying story threads and some genuine forward momentum).

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Funny you contrast it positively against Jurassic World though; debates of subjective quality aside, isn't that in the same mold and basically it's closest equivalent (along with Star Trek 2009 for different reasons)? A "soft reboot" that technically exists in the same continuity but is basically a remake/revival with some modern wrinkles? I saw Jurassic World again recently and enjoyed it much more the second time because I knew exactly what it wasn't; so, who cares if it's truly of "classic" quality if it's basically just a reproduction anyway (that may redeem The Force Awakens for me, ultimately)? Plus, the second time I could focus on just how much it was also ripping off Aliens and kind of appreciate the nobility of that pursuit. But yeah, it's purely junk food while The Force Awakens at least has some compelling characters, accompanying story threads and some genuine forward momentum).

I've never been a huge fan of the Jurassic Park stuff. I actually preferred JP3 to JW. JW was just not...good. Hence why I called it a shitshow. Even after (forced) multiple viewings, it got worse for me. But, again, I'm not the right person to ask about it.

Saw it yesterday and for the most part, I enjoyed it. It was not a great or perfect movie by any stretch of the imagination but it was a good Star Wars movie all around. Especially with how I feel by now everyone has been sullied by the prequels and everyone's resentment towards them The Force Awakens turned out to be just what the series needed to reignite the excitement the series used to have before everything became somewhat sour. Sort of excited to know where everything goes from here now actually.

This will probably sound really dumb, but I have never experienced the Star Wars prequels. I watched the original trilogy growing up and loved them, but never went to the theater for those. Are they as bad as people make them out to be, or is it exaggerated? I'm still debating if I should watch them all before the Force Awakens. Thanks everyone! :)

Tama said:
This will probably sound really dumb, but I have never experienced the Star Wars prequels. I watched the original trilogy growing up and loved them, but never went to the theater for those. Are they as bad as people make them out to be, or is it exaggerated? I'm still debating if I should watch them all before the Force Awakens. Thanks everyone! :)

It's not dumb in the slightest, I'd say go watch the Prequels then form your own opinion. Everyone is split between either liking them or despising them until the cows come home, That said they do have their moments and there are little elements from the Prequels that are worth getting into.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Tama said:

I would recommend watching episodes 1 and 2, then watching all of the Clone Wars series, then episode 3.

Griffith

Tama said:
This will probably sound really dumb, but I have never experienced the Star Wars prequels.

Sounds really smart, actually. :slan:

Tama said:
I watched the original trilogy growing up and loved them, but never went to the theater for those. Are they as bad as people make them out to be, or is it exaggerated?

They're worse than you're imagining, trust me. Bitching about them at this point has become asinine, but they're just not very good movies and look even worse compared to the originals. The best I can describe it is think direct-to-video quality but made with unlimited resources. Yeah, it's bewildering.

Tama said:
I'm still debating if I should watch them all before the Force Awakens.

No, just don't. Unless you want to re-calibrate your expectations because you haven't seen a truly bad Star Wars movie yet. But just think, you can spare yourself from a universally reviled experience and be happier for it! I envy your position, don't give it up out of some false sense of completion. I've worked hard to scrub my brain of those films. I'm proud to say I confuse people when discussing the saga because I keep involuntarily referring to The Force Awakens as "the fourth movie."

Tama said:
Thanks everyone! :)

Don't thank the previous posters who responded to your query; they gave you bad advice. :ganishka:

Johnstantine said:
I would recommend watching episodes 1 and 2, then watching all of the Clone Wars series, then episode 3.

Warning: Based on that statement this man is a possibly a sadomasochist. :troll:

But yeah, I guess you could just watch them and decide for yourself. *shrug*

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Warning: Based on that statement this man is a possibly a sadomasochist. :troll:

I wish that weren't the case, but as I've said on the board in the past...watching the Clone Wars series actually makes the prequels better tolerable. I actually don't mind them anymore.

Phantom Menace still sucks, though.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:
I wish that weren't the case, but as I've said on the board in the past...watching the Clone Wars series actually makes the prequels better tolerable. I actually don't mind them anymore.

I don't mind that they exist, but bad is bad. I never watched Clone Wars but I've heard from you and others it's the best thing to come of the Star Wars prequel revival (movie looked terrible though).

Johnstantine said:
Phantom Menace still sucks, though.

Yeah, too bad it inspired a new generation of CGI blockbusters. It's interesting to look at the evolution of those films: the first one Lucas hadn't directed a movie in over 20 and you can tell, it's just a bunch of ideas and CGI clips strewn together like in a lab. The second movie he remembered the importance of things like three acts, arcs, pacing, events, etc and made a bad movie but a movie nonetheless. Finally, he made what was on paper what a Star Wars prequel should have been (it's really the only one worth watching at all since the other two are basically meaningless), but it was such an over the top, overcompensating and operatic, self-satirizing mess (it's almost so bad it's good) that it's best appreciated like a play. Maybe it should have been a musical.

ANAKIN: "I'M TURNING TO THE DARK SIDE!"
CHOIR: "HE'S TURNING TO THE DARK SIDE! WOOOOOOOOE!!!"

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Finally, he made what was on paper what a Star Wars prequel should have been (it's really the only one worth watching at all since the other two are basically meaningless), but it was such an over the top, overcompensating and operatic, self-satirizing mess (it's almost so bad it's good) that it's best appreciated like a play.

I agree with you completely.

Also, the Clone Wars movie wasn't too bad. It was actually supposed to be the first three episodes of the series, but Lucas wanted it in theaters. The CGI sucks, but the story isn't too bad. It leads to the best Star Wars since ESB, in my opinion. The whole series makes you really enjoy Anakin a lot and makes it actually feel sad knowing that this:

ANAKIN: "I'M TURNING TO THE DARK SIDE!"
CHOIR: "HE'S TURNING TO THE DARK SIDE! WOOOOOOOOE!!!"

doesn't happen overnight like it did in the movies.

Thank you Griffith and everyone for the input. One other question I had; are most of the prequels solely dependent on CGI? I grew up in the 80s and 90s and I love practical effects like The Thing or Ray Harryhausen's work, and while I heard the Force Awakens has more traditional models and props like this, I'm not sure about the other trilogy.

Top Bottom