How many Apostles did Guts hunt during the Black Swordsman period.

As a fun discussion topic, about how many Apostles do we think Guts killed during his Black Swordsman period? That is to say before he returned to Godot’s shop to discover Casca missing? We know for sure of several:

-The Pig Apostle
-The Succubus Apostle (who killed Corkus)
-The Cobra Apostle
-The Count
-Roshine

But both the Cobra Apostle and the Count had heard rumors of the Black Swordsman hunting apostles. This implies a lot more in between the pig apostle and the Cobra offscreen. The problem is, these fights usually take a lot out of Guts. Broken bones, a ton of blood loss, etc. But before the Cobra, Guts didn’t have Puck as a companion to heal him in between bouts. So I feel like the number was limited to some degree. Or maybe he was just hunting weak ones like the Chicken Apostle before moving up to the tougher guys. Thoughts?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno, maybe 10 total? That's a nice, even number :guts:

ApostleBob said:
maybe he was just hunting weak ones like the Chicken Apostle before moving up to the tougher guys. Thoughts?

I think it's in Vol 17 that Guts said he was just following rumors and the sensations of the brand. So it's not like he could be selective of the ones he confronted. Also, it's not really in Guts' character to stand down in a fight because it's potentially too tough, particularly not during that section of his life.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Walter said:
I dunno, maybe 10 total? That's a nice, even number :guts:

I think it's in Vol 17 that Guts said he was just following rumors and the sensations of the brand. So it's not like he could be selective of the ones he confronted.

Probably got lucky at the beginning. I doubt he would have survived against Grunberg without puck and/or the armor...

jackson_hurley said:
Probably got lucky at the beginning. I doubt he would have survived against Grunberg without puck and/or the armor...

Maybe, maybe not. He was wounded pretty bad from Slan when he faced him the first time. Remember he was collapsing from exhaustion just before. Still, he would've been tough as a former legendary knight.

Walter said:
I think it's in Vol 17 that Guts said he was just following rumors and the sensations of the brand. So it's not like he could be selective of the ones he confronted. Also, it's not really in Guts' character to stand down in a fight because it's potentially too tough, particularly not during that section of his life.

Good point. He was wandering around for a year during this time, right?

Walter said:
Lost Children begins 2 years after the Eclipse.

Wow, that leaves a lot of time for hunting. Though as you say, it was a lot of wandering after rumors and sensing with the brand, so maybe 5 a year isn't bad. Also considering that he's fighting Specters and undead every night as well. It was a busy year of practice, that no doubt fueled the Beast of Darkness.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
It was a busy year of practice, that no doubt fueled the Beast of Darkness.

I think it's significant that the story of Berserk begins with him finding Puck. Prior to that, his travels were done in isolation, focusing only on revenge and immersing himself in darkness. After Puck joins, he begins to change.

Walter said:
I think it's significant that the story of Berserk begins with him finding Puck. Prior to that, his travels were done in isolation, focusing only on revenge and immersing himself in darkness. After Puck joins, he begins to change.

Just imagine how many other lives he say fall apart due to the curse of the Brand. The second episode feels like a taste of what life must have been like. I doubt he started out camping in the woods in isolation, there were probably some hard lessons, staying in inns and towns where specters possessed the innocent. It's all speculation but there must have been some tough years to make him into the bastard he is in the first episode.

Top Bottom